Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's 100% confirmed by the devs.

http://twitter.com/#!/Terraria_Blue/status/68753286748061696

Thanks! Added to the list. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

So I find myself wanting to get a new keyboard. I have an otherwise pretty nice PC setup, but my main input method is a 4-year-old $10 Microsoft keyboard.

I did some reading, and it sounds like mechanical keyboards are the poo poo. I was thinking about picking up the Das Keyboard Model S Silent, but if anyone has experience with that or other mechanical keyboards for gaming, I'd appreciate more opinions.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mechanical makes a bit of difference when you're typing quickly--I have a Model M keyboard older than I am and I love it--but I haven't found it to really matter for gaming. The most important thing is to have decent rollover, or else certain action combos like moving diagonally and jump-crouching are literally impossible because only half the keys will register. Everything beyond that is just icing on the cake, like recordable keyboard macros or backlit keys that are easier to see in the dark.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

AceSnyp3r posted:

So I find myself wanting to get a new keyboard. I have an otherwise pretty nice PC setup, but my main input method is a 4-year-old $10 Microsoft keyboard.

I did some reading, and it sounds like mechanical keyboards are the poo poo. I was thinking about picking up the Das Keyboard Model S Silent, but if anyone has experience with that or other mechanical keyboards for gaming, I'd appreciate more opinions.

Mechanical keyboards have a lot of key travel (the distance you need to push a key down before it'll register) and require a lot of force to push buttons down, which isn't necessarily great for gaming. Give one a try before buying one online.

Additionally, stay the gently caress away from Razer products.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

AceSnyp3r posted:

I use a Razer Black widow ultimate, and absolutely love it. Granted it's my first mechanical, but the spacing and response is top notch. The feel and clicks are satisfying as hell, and the adjustable backlightng makes it great for night time gaming. Also it has gaming mode which disables the window buttons, so no accidental slips leading to the desktop.

E: Curious as to why stay away from Razer? Something I don't know?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The next installment in the Two Worlds series is, oddly, a castle defense game.

What the hell? You weren't kidding. They're really making a defense game.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Vertigus posted:

Give one a try before buying one online.
Yeah, unfortunately I can't find any places around here that carry them.

404notfound posted:

The most important thing is to have decent rollover
Yeah, this is part of the reason I think I want a mechanical one, because they all have the full n-key rollover thing going on PS/2, and I haven't found a non-mechanical keyboard that does that.

Also, what about lifespan? It sounds like these mechanical keyboards are supposed to last forever.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Manac0r posted:

E: Curious as to why stay away from Razer? Something I don't know?

Every product of theirs I've ever owned since their "rebirth" has broken on me in some horrible way.

I had a Lachesis mouse which had terrible tracking and would often bug out and only move the cursor in one direction at a time. I have one of their keyboards where the touchscreen bugs out and repeatedly opens Windows Media Player over and over, and the USB ports on it shorted out and rendered it and my computer non-functional for a while. I also have a set of their headphones where the mic broke and now dangles uselessly next to my jaw. Plus their driver support is really bad.

These are all problems that, according to Razer, affect a "small, tiny, insignificant, miniscule, non-existent" portion of users.

Logitech products are much more reliable, although not as pretty.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I remember reading something about how The Witcher 2 would be able to import a savegame file from The Witcher. Is it worth it for me to try to blast through the first game (I think I'm like halfway through) or is it just random story stuff that I'll be able to select anyway that gets imported?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

VDay posted:

I remember reading something about how The Witcher 2 would be able to import a savegame file from The Witcher. Is it worth it for me to try to blast through the first game (I think I'm like halfway through) or is it just random story stuff that I'll be able to select anyway that gets imported?

When you say half way through; would that be around chapter 3? As I m looking for a save game to play before I hit W2. I lost mine in a HD wipe.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Not necessarily gonna win many votes, but I'll toss it in there. I use a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, and to be quite honest, I dread the day they ever discontinue it because it's bar none my favourite keyboard. Ergonomic keyboards aren't for everyone (but then again, some people just hate their wrists/fingers), but once you get used to it, it's so difficult to go back to a flat keyboard.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

VDay posted:

There was something said about importing gear as well, so that may be worth it. There's tons of savegames posted (one by me) in the TW2 thread that you can just pickup if you want.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PC gaming owns

I bought Capsized on a whim off of steam for 10 bucks and have been playing it non-stop, the artwork and ambience is amazing and the story is very engrossing for how simple it is.

Well worth a pickup :)

Steam has really made it so much easier to grab cheap indie games, a lot of which are amazingly good

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Alctel posted:

PC gaming owns

I bought Capsized on a whim off of steam for 10 bucks and have been playing it non-stop, the artwork and ambience is amazing and the story is very engrossing for how simple it is.

Well worth a pickup :)

Steam has really made it so much easier to grab cheap indie games, a lot of which are amazingly good

Isn't that the game that is like 2 hours long or something?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have giftable Mac copies of Broken Sword 1 and 2 on GamersGate since they came bundled with the PC versions, anyone want them? I've never owned an Apple product in my entire life, so they're kinda useless for me.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

Terraria is now up as of about 1 hour ago

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have giftable Mac copies of Broken Sword 1 and 2 on GamersGate since they came bundled with the PC versions, anyone want them? I've never owned an Apple product in my entire life, so they're kinda useless for me.

Great games! I'll take them, I'll drop you a private message :D

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I bought a G15 ages ago, back when I still played WoW (way too much) I have been off that game for three years now and I think it is time to replace my keyboard due to it being worn out and also it is massive.

I am looking for a simple, solid keyboard with media keys. (and maybe a small display, I like looking at the clock on my KB when running fullscreen apps)

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Every product of theirs I've ever owned since their "rebirth" has broken on me in some horrible way.

I had a Lachesis mouse which had terrible tracking and would often bug out and only move the cursor in one direction at a time. I have one of their keyboards where the touchscreen bugs out and repeatedly opens Windows Media Player over and over, and the USB ports on it shorted out and rendered it and my computer non-functional for a while. I also have a set of their headphones where the mic broke and now dangles uselessly next to my jaw. Plus their driver support is really bad.

These are all problems that, according to Razer, affect a "small, tiny, insignificant, miniscule, non-existent" portion of users.

Logitech products are much more reliable, although not as pretty.

I'll weigh in as well by saying I've had this DeathAdder mouse for over a year and the scroll wheel broke so now when I scroll it will randomly go in either direction. Whereas I used a Logitech MX518 for at least 4 years until it stopped working one day.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lurchibles posted:

Great games! I'll take them, I'll drop you a private message :D

Sent, have fun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is the new Steam daily deal, but it's bad. For those thinking that Codemasters certainly must have learned from Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and improved the sequel, Red River, well...

...Red River is out already in Europe and apparently it's still trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI8UftOoctw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkDZHzK_WWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUuV5d-vr3g

At least it doesn't look as dreary and boring as Dragon Rising.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I have an old Key Tronic keyboard from the 90's.

This fucker is made in Mexico and built to last. If you can find one of the old, bigger Key Tronics at like a flea market or something, buy it. I spent 3€ on this thing and it has lasted me for a year and for someone else much, much longer. I've used and abused it, most keyboards only last a short while for me, but this is a god damned tank-board.

Whenever I see a flea market or garage sale or whatever I will check it. Check it for more Key Tronics.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
The Witcher 2, Fable 3, and LA Noire? Pretty good week for nerds

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've had one of the Saitek Eclipse keyboards for a couple years now, those seem like decent, simple keyboards for the $40-60 range. I like the feel of the keys, they're sturdy but not loud, and the overall construction is really solid. The only issue I've seen so far is the labels on some of the keys have started to wear off (mostly just WASD).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zedd posted:

I am looking for a simple, solid keyboard with media keys. (and maybe a small display, I like looking at the clock on my KB when running fullscreen apps)

If the display doesn't matter so much then you can't go past the Dell multimedia keyboards for simplicity, reliability and a good set of media keys. Plus a USB hub!

As for older mechanical keyboards - do note that many of them have absolutely terrible key masking. Something as simple as E+D+space doesn't work on my Dell AT101.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Thanks for the input guys. I read into some of the keyboard suggestions, but the problem is I need something kind of small. Most of the $50-range gaming keyboards I found with at least 6-key rollover were still 19.5" or larger. The keyboard rack on my desk is pretty small, so I need something around 18" or so to fit it. Plus, I don't like screwing around with drivers and stuff anyway, I don't need any macro keys or anything, just a sturdy reliable keyboard.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Das Keyboard Model S Silent. PS/2, no frills, and full n-key rollover. I'll post back once I get to play with it a bit!

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
What are everyone's opinions on the SteelSeries Mechanical Keyboards(7G or 6GV2)? How do they compare to the Blackwidow and DasKeyboard? I will be using it for gaming and coding.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Essobie posted:

Isn't that the game that is like 2 hours long or something?

I'm about 4 hours into the story mode and haven't finished it, still got the arcade and multiplayer modes as well

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Vertigus posted:

Additionally, stay the gently caress away from Razer products.

:ohdear:

I just picked up one of their Tron keyboards a month or so ago to replace my aging and very worn out Logitech G15... now you've got me worried. (Don't really care that much about the Tron license so much as it was a very nice looking and feeling keyboard, and I didn't see any other keyboards I liked better when I was shopping for my replacement...)

:siren: SURPRISE RELEASES THIS PAST WEEK :siren:

Indie turn-based space-sim/4X game. Looks like something you might play in the late '90s, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that game came out in 2009 :shobon:

It looks like it recently got added to a couple Digital Distro services though, so that may have lead you to think it's new.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I've said it before - but I'm still using a Dell QuietKey for my gaming. Good tactile response, haven't had any problem with multiple keys, and cheap as hell.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Vertigus posted:

I had the exact same thing happen with my razer kb, got a replacement from amazon, and it was the same on the replacement. Changed it to a Microsoft one, and have been happy ever since. Their quality control is crap, and this "bug" is really common from googling around.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
On the plus side of Razer, I have a Deathadder that has been fantastic. Best mouse I have owned by far.

I have also never had any problems with the various logitech products I have owned. (Although I did have the led on my speakers go out because of static electricity)

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame

mmm11105 posted:

What are everyone's opinions on the SteelSeries Mechanical Keyboards(7G or 6GV2)? How do they compare to the Blackwidow and DasKeyboard? I will be using it for gaming and coding.

I currently have the 6GV2 and it seemed to help my typing speed cause the keys don't need to be depressed all the way down and have a slight bounce. Although you might want to be ready to have a replacement sent cause mine came with a few keys that don't always go down smoothly and they may throw you off, but mine settled (or I got used to the position necessary to make the action smooth) down after a few weeks. The 7G only has the USB and audio jacks as a benefit and as far as I know there is no other difference between the two.

Admittedly my only experience with Razer was with their Lycosa keyboard, the problems I had with their media control, or possibly drivers, drove me to buy a new keyboard. The drat thing kept restarting whatever media I had playing to the beginning and causing it to repeat until I would unplug it. As a keyboard I liked it due to the short travel distance but it wasn't worth dealing with the media control problems it had.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Have you guys found that the laptop-style desktop keyboards are okay for gaming? I like the ThinkPad keyboard and don't like using the bulky keys anymore. They just feel terribly inefficient when typing anything.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Dudebro posted:

Have you guys found that the laptop-style desktop keyboards are okay for gaming? I like the ThinkPad keyboard and don't like using the bulky keys anymore. They just feel terribly inefficient when typing anything.

I do all my gaming on my laptop, so I don't really see why a laptop-like desktop keyboard would be any worse. As long you like it and don't really are about things lie macro keys, I say it's fine.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

AceSnyp3r posted:

Steelseries 7G mechanical keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used and I have used a lot of keyboards.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that game came out in 2009 :shobon:

It looks like it recently got added to a couple Digital Distro services though, so that may have lead you to think it's new.

I like to cover the digital releases of older titles in my weekly roundups too, since any PC gamer worth his/her salt won't gently caress around with physical media. :)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

I like to cover the digital releases of older titles in my weekly roundups too, since any PC gamer worth his/her salt won't gently caress around with physical media. :)
But I like physical media. :(

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Insert name here posted:

But I like physical media. :(

My four physical copies of Battlefield 2 inform me that physical media is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My old copies of Rome Total War and FEAR that are now each a disc short second that. My only optical drive now is a USB DVD burner that I share between my desktop and netbook that only comes out of the closet when I wanna watch a DVD on my computer or there's an awesome deal on GoGamer.

• Locked thread