Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I really want to get into this game, but every run I do, I can get to the terrorist-filled subway on Liberty Island/wherever it is, and can't figure out where to go. I tried crawling through vents, bumrushing the front, everything. Any advice, since I heard the game really picks up after this?

Tag the guys at the stairs from outside with the tranq darts as someone previously said. For the main subway platform, I enter through the vents, and use a gas grenade. Gas Grenades + the Hazard protection (the mod or the suit) is one of the most over powered things in the game. You toss one in, and then murder everyone as they stand there rubbing their eyes while taking minimal damage yourself (or stand outside the effect radius). It works on everything but mech-troops and bots (obviously)

Cheezymadman posted:

Considering the storyline, that's not very :tinfoil: at all. It's probably exactly what happened.

I'm pretty sure that besides that, it is to draw out the NSF/Illuminati. They would already know at that point that there were forces moving against them, and the best way to find them, would be to draw them out with a tempting target, and follow them along to the source.

JC just happened to be ready to put through the paces at the same time, so bonus points I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Something just occurred to me...does any part of this game take place during daylight? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
Deus Ex exists in the same parallel dimension that Melee IslandTM does.

Intense
Mar 23, 2011
I shudder at what would have happened if Gunther Hermann got his "skul gunn"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Intense posted:

I shudder at what would have happened if Gunther Hermann got his "skul gunn"

Executed by a neo-Confucian judge?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The vending machine guy would never know what hit him.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Pope Guilty posted:

Executed by a neo-Confucian judge?

I loved that deconstruction of cyberpunk at the start of Diamond Age, it was hilarious.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I thought that was odd too, you'd think UNATCO would have heavy mechs everywhere around their base. I guess the HQ being there makes the place a good high profile target for the NSF but losing the island to a bunch of guys and one light mech is kind of weak.
All the heavy mechs are inside! :ssh:

I'd say the security is lax on UNATCO HQ because it's basically just an office. I think its servers are all remote too, so there wouldn't ever be much real reason to directly attack it, especially since a lot of the employees have military training.

I did always think it was strange that the first mission was conveniently right on the doorstep of your home base, though.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Underwhelmed posted:

Tag the guys at the stairs from outside with the tranq darts as someone previously said. For the main subway platform, I enter through the vents, and use a gas grenade. Gas Grenades + the Hazard protection (the mod or the suit) is one of the most over powered things in the game. You toss one in, and then murder everyone as they stand there rubbing their eyes while taking minimal damage yourself (or stand outside the effect radius). It works on everything but mech-troops and bots (obviously)

The best way is to just go in the front and trigger the explosives. Show the NSF you don't negotiate with terrorists and hostages won't get them anything.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spuzzz posted:

The best way is to just go in the front and trigger the explosives. Show the NSF you don't negotiate with terrorists and hostages won't get them anything.

Well yes, a LAM is a rather effective negotiation tool.

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Jesus Christ, JC.

LiquidHelium
Jul 3, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

Or you can just go in through the vents in one of the shacks and come out of the one near the hostages, then talk real quick to them and tell them to get on the train. By the time the terrorists know what is happening you and the hostages will have left the station.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

All the heavy mechs are inside! :ssh:

I'd say the security is lax on UNATCO HQ because it's basically just an office. I think its servers are all remote too, so there wouldn't ever be much real reason to directly attack it, especially since a lot of the employees have military training.

I did always think it was strange that the first mission was conveniently right on the doorstep of your home base, though.

Except it's a front for an MJ12 base. Although, if they put bigass mechs everywhere it might be a little suspicious.

Also, the attack on the statue of liberty took place before UNATCO was made. I suppose the timeline works like this:

-Statue goes boom
-Unatco is formed
-Bigass base is built on liberty island (with even bigger secret base below it)
-NSF take over statue (somehow)
-Gunther gets his dumbass captured

My question is, if the only entrance to the MJ12 base is inside UNATCO, how do they get transgenics or commandos in there? And where do the employees go when they get off their shifts?

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
MJ12 managed to eliminate the concept of "free time" or "going home" entirely, like in a Dilbert strip. They just work all the time, no sleep allowed.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Cray posted:

MJ12 managed to eliminate the concept of "free time" or "going home" entirely, like in a Dilbert strip. They just work all the time, no sleep allowed.

They work at night and sleep during the daytime. That's why none of DX takes place during the day. JC's sleep cycle is augmented.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
For some reason in my game background noises seem considerably louder than they should be. It was a bit irritating at first but then I heard the couple screwing (complete with squeaky bedsprings) behind the door next to Paul's at the 'Ton :lol:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm pretty sure it's only in my most recent playthrough that I noticed each apartment on that floor has a different noise cycling from behind their otherwise identical doorways.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Something just occurred to me...does any part of this game take place during daylight? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

There are a couple of levels (well, at least one) that take place in the early morning, just before dawn. Maybe 5 am.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I beat Deus Ex for the first time last night. The decade I spent putting off playing it has been wasted time.

Question, though. I saved Paul, so he contacted me on the communicator-thing at the end. I was just wondering who, if anyone, contacts you there instead if he died?

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

Hbomberguy posted:

I beat Deus Ex for the first time last night. The decade I spent putting off playing it has been wasted time.

Question, though. I saved Paul, so he contacted me on the communicator-thing at the end. I was just wondering who, if anyone, contacts you there instead if he died?
Morgan or Tracer Tong.

There aren't any HUGE differences, just some different dialog in places.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Magic posted:

Morgan or Tracer Tong.

There aren't any HUGE differences, just some different dialog in places.

It's actually Savage if I remember correctly. The two you mentioned contact you no matter what.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
It took me 8 years to realize you could save Paul in his apartment.

Eight loving years. Just another reason that I love this game.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

HoveringCheesecake posted:

It took me 8 years to realize you could save Paul in his apartment.

Eight loving years. Just another reason that I love this game.

I'd always thought doing so would be really difficult, since Paul even tells you himself to get out through the window while you still can. When the door blew open and I wondered what the hell I was going to do against the MIBs, one fired at me and accidentally hit Paul.

What ensued was the easiest battle of the game, as I sat back and my supposedly at the crux of death brother mowed down an entire goddamn army and shrugged off so much damage he was more bullet than man, spouting 'save yourself! I'm too weak to come with you!' as he strafed two guys to death.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
This game has been out for over ten years, are we really still using spoilers?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Besides that, without knowing anything about the game, you should be able to guess what's under Hbomberguy's first spoiler even if you have never played Deus Ex and his second sentence reads with exact same meaning whether you read the spoilers or read past them.
Anyway, we're on page 139. All the regular game content has been spoiled by now and I don't care about people who just skip to the last page of threads.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Cheezymadman posted:

This game has been out for over ten years, are we really still using spoilers?

Someone might have been 8 years old when the game came out and never got to play till today. But I also think it's rude to say spoilers for anything no matter how old including Luke I am your father.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

I'd always thought doing so would be really difficult, since Paul even tells you himself to get out through the window while you still can. When the door blew open and I wondered what the hell I was going to do against the MIBs, one fired at me and accidentally hit Paul.

Even without exploiting that behaviour it's incredibly easy to save Paul; the only thing the game checks for is whether you use the window or not.

So getting to the exit is entirely needless; you can get gunned down by MIBs in Paul's apartment and matters will proceed normally, with you waking up in the MJ12 base and Paul still alive.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

the only thing the game checks for is whether you use the window or not

Not if you have Shifter or Biomod, that fixes it.

PS: you should always play with Biomod. He even removed the kills-give-you-XP thing from Shifter, although he sadly also removed the skill points for sneaking by thing.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
http://twitpic.com/4mf7wo // http://twitter.com/#!/eidosmontreal/status/60057502833836032

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Max Ex

If only it were a complete mod.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Spatial posted:

Max Ex

If only it were a complete mod.

This is the best thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spatial posted:

Max Ex

Paul. Paul. Paul.

Goby
May 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh
This game was the only one of the old "classics" that were past my time that I could actually play and enjoy.

Games I couldn't play because they are too dated (yes i know I'm terrible because I don't want to endure clunky 1990's gmaeplay) are Fallout, Planescape, Baldur's Gate, and Arcanum.

Although I do want to maybe try some mods out for PS:T and see if they make the gameplay nonshit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The game's called Torment, Planescape is the setting. It's like calling BG "Forgotten Realms". And the gameplay mechanics are not "clunky" per se (although Torment doesn't have great combat), they're just a different variety to what you're used to.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
^^^ Torment's gameplay may be logically consistent and do what it's supposed to, but it's definitely incredibly clunky. Weirdly finicky semi-turn-based combat, retarded sheep AI that has trouble maintaining simple formations, and pixelhunting for loot dropped behind obscuring terrain all come to mind. The conversations and whatnot are goddamn amazing, but basically everything else ranges from mostly tolerable to tediously obtuse. ^^^

Goby posted:

(yes i know I'm terrible because I don't want to endure clunky 1990's gmaeplay)

People like to give flak for this, but it's honestly pretty understandable. Even though I loving loved, and still love, Torment and Fallout 1&2, and have completed all three of them more than once, I still have a hard time getting into a new playthrough because of the dreadful interface. They're definitely worth playing anyway, of course, but I understand where you're coming from.

One thing I will say is that Arcanum's interface is much, much, much less finicky and frustrating than PS:T's or FO1/2's. The gameplay is also a lot more approachable, particularly since you can play in realtime mode if you prefer (which comes with its own set of problems, but at least it's faster-paced for the impatient gamer).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 18, 2011

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Baldur's Gate is based on second edition D&D rules and the gameplay is therefore loving abominable

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

white quilt posted:

Baldur's Gate is based on second edition D&D rules and the gameplay is therefore loving abominable

Only ToEE has better non-dialogue gameplay of any RPG released since BG2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The game's called Torment, Planescape is the setting. It's like calling BG "Forgotten Realms". And the gameplay mechanics are not "clunky" per se (although Torment doesn't have great combat), they're just a different variety to what you're used to.

grognards.txt

Goby
May 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah I know, but I figured everybody knew what I was talking about.

I did try to play those games at least. I mean like I said I loved Deus Ex and played it multiple times. Maybe it also has to do with me loving cyberpunk/conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There is a single Planescape bideogame in existence, of course it refers to Planescape: Torment. There's a good dozen Forgotten Realms games, so that's a dumb comparison.

If you're really after a game with clunky gameplay but amazing setting, and you really like cyberpunk, then go for System Shock. I've only played #2, it's all about being hunted through the bowels of a spaceship by mutants and protocol droids while aug'ing yourself with anything you can scrounge up.