Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So, I was looking up Michel Gagne and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1uvKQOvdM

I'd actually be really interested in a cartoon done in that style. Specifically that twilight zone style introduction. The ITSP game should be pretty amazing when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chibs posted:

GOT MY BALCONY HOOKERS
GOT MY BALCONY COCAINE

Look at this motherfucker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Pleasant Friend posted:

The good Tom and Jerry works are all Hanna-Barbera age, look for Fred Quimby in the credits, it a sign of a quality Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Well, and since there were different eras, to be fair, maybe I should go back and give T&J another look. I've never liked any of the episodes or vignettes I've seen--and I think some of them were Quimby-made, actually---and so I've never been inclined to go back for more.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I'm crying so hard on the inside right now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chibs posted:

GOT MY BALCONY HOOKERS
GOT MY BALCONY COCAINE

Who hired the Penny Arcade guys to do a cartoon?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Now we're wandering into copy cat territory.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Now we're wandering into copy cat territory.

That's literally what jumped to my mind. Bruce is gonna be pissed when he finds out Terry's been skipping his Bat-duties to be a Voltron pilot.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I still have yet to watch Friendship Is Magic, but apparently Lauren Faust is greatly reducing her involvement in it:
http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40428056/

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

quote:

The kids, the parents and all you bronies!

quote:

all you bronies!

quote:

bronies

Ugh...gently caress this show :argh:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

JammyLammy posted:

Ugh...gently caress this show :argh:

That's actually 4chan's fault, so gently caress them, not the show.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Behonkiss posted:

I still have yet to watch Friendship Is Magic, but apparently Lauren Faust is greatly reducing her involvement in it:

Aww, crap.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like Voltron is going to continue it's well known role of not being nearly as good as Thundercats or Transformers here in 2011.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Behonkiss posted:

I remember when I first saw this show getting popular I was looking forward to see what she did afterward. Didn't think she'd be done this soon. Hope her success here makes it easier to get her other cartoon pitches accepted by the networks.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Well Gumball isn't really funny but it's cute and the mixed media thing is kind of fun to watch.

I can tell already that his mom is going to be the best character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know a lot of people don't like it but I fuckin' love Problem Solverz.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I know a lot of people don't like it but I fuckin' love Problem Solverz.

It's growing on me. Kinda like a tumor. It really reminds me of lovely amateur flash movies from the early 2000s, but it must be intentional.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Amorphous Blob posted:

It really reminds me of lovely amateur flash movies from the early 2000s, but it must be intentional.

From the Problem Solverz thread

Shmorky posted:

Paper Rad is awesome. I gave em a shout-out in the Flash Tub recently.
The show doesn't hide the fact that it is made in Flash and that's actually really cool. I bet most people would assume I hate a show like this because I always complain about motion tweening and canned animation. I like the self-aware use of Flash. Stuff like linear gradients, super-thin/dotted/patterened pencil tool vector lines, limited 256 color palette (except for skin tones) using only Flash's pre-set colors... As a Flash animator you look at this show and go "hey there's that thing I would never use... and he's using it! This is insaaaaane!" There's nothing else like it anywhere.

I'm watching simply because it's so fascinating to see something like this being brought to the "mainstream." I'm floored, honestly. Underground artists have always managed to work in children's entertainment, but never one as underground as Ben Jones. Ben is completely out there and his work is so unique. I don't think kids are going to understand this show. All the haters... seriously, chill out. I doubt this show will last for long. This is going to confuse kids and they'll call it "garish" because they heard mom use that word sometimes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man what the gently caress people Tom and Jerry is hilarious

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

From the Problem Solverz thread

That sums up what I'm feeling pretty well, and it also gave me a nice new perspective. :)
And Raymondo is right: this is the most newgrounds/sheezyart thing in the world.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Just when they couldn't make the concept of Lola Bunny any worse, they turn her into a Kristen Wiig character :suicide:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just when they couldn't make the concept of Lola Bunny any worse, they turn her into a Kristen Wiig character :suicide:

At least there is more to her character than "is a chick" now. v:shobon:v

I just saw Gumball for the first time, and I kind of like it. It was rough around the edges, but the dad makes up for it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just watched Gumball. I haven't laughed this hard since the coffee bean episode of Regular Show.

ALLIGATORS ON A TRAIN!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have to be honest with you, I had no idea what to expect from Gumball but that DVD episode mostly sold me.

I got the vibe of a really really polished Disney Afternoon show from it. I don't really know how else to describe it. Marvellous attention to detail though. I'm going to keep checking it out probably.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 11, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not sure how I feel about Gumball just yet. I don't not like it - it feels a little slow, but that could be because it's just starting out. I like the mom and Darwin pretty well though.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

404GoonNotFound posted:

I suppose the joke is that Lola is terrible and not funny at all which is some weird meta humor on Warner Brothers' part.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

kefkafloyd posted:

I just watched Gumball. I haven't laughed this hard since the coffee bean episode of Regular Show.

ALLIGATORS ON A TRAIN!

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious. The Mystery was especially funny with the robot, and both the principle and the teacher getting run over by a bus and ambulance (with squishing noises). I'm totally on the Gumball train

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

kefkafloyd posted:

ALLIGATORS ON A TRAIN!

I laughed out loud multiple times, I really enjoy the mixed media style, and hats off to the little anime flourishes and nods, too!

There was a line within the first five minutes or so that really made me chuckle, but I've sadly forgotten it :(.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I suppose the joke is that Lola is terrible and not funny at all which is some weird meta humor on Warner Brothers' part.

She was more entertaining to me in that episode, then she's ever been previously.

I also found it funny that she called Bugs ugly, and he took offense.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I was out shopping for a wardrobe for my new job when I found this awesome Courage shirt at JCPenney. It'll make an awesome nightshirt.

I also saw a few Adventure Time shirts, which I also want, but most of them were girls shirts at Hot Topic. I also saw a boys one, but it wasn't in my XXL size.

I also want a Flapjack shirt, and maybe Billy and Mandy. (Fred Fredburger!)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.themarysue.com/the-fall-of-cartoon-network/

quote:

Have you noticed anything different about the programming on Cartoon Network? How about the fact that there’s a dramatic decrease in actual good, quality cartoons?

Before we get right down to the problem, I would like you to jump into my time machine, back to 1994 when Cartoon Network Studios was born. I’m not going to bore you with too many details, but what made Cartoon Network so great was its original programming — overseen by the president of the network, Jim Samples. The What-A-Cartoon! Show premiered in 1995 and showcased a slew of new cartoon ideas, many of which eventually got their own series including Dexter’s Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, The Powerpuff Girls, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and so on.

Some of the executives who were in charge of the programming came from Nickelodeon, including the creator of Ren & Stimpy, John Kricfalusi. With the success of What-A-Cartoon! Show came the memorable Cartoon Cartoons, which was the collective name for all the original cartoon series during the late ‘90s including Ed, Edd ‘n’ Eddy and I Am Weasel.

Soon, Turner Broadcasting (which owned Cartoon Network) merged with Time Warner. During this time there was a lot of spill-over from the two companies; black and white Warner Bros. cartoons were now being shown on Cartoon Network along with reruns from the Kids’ WB and new shows including Justice League.

As the 2000s rolled in, Cartoon Network went through what I would like to call an “identity crisis.” During the first few years of the new millennium, most of the classic Cartoon Network programs were being viewed on its sister network Boomerang. But, by 2006, most of the cartoons including Dexter’s Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls were coming back into thirty minute segments which were part of the show called The Cartoon Cartoon Show.

All this came to an end, however, when Jim Samples — the man who was part of Cartoon Network’s programming from the get-go — resigned on February 7, 2007, a few days after the Boston bomb scare incident involving Adult Swim’s Aqua Teen Hunger Force marketing campaign for the series’ first film. If you don’t remember what happened, the marketing campaign received negative attention from the police in Boston, Massachusetts; LED placards of one of the series’ characters, Mooninite Ignignokt shown flipping the bird, were sporadically placed throughout major cities, including Boston. One placard that was located at a station was seen by a passenger who in turn notified the police. The bomb squad was called in since the LED placards resembled what they though was an explosive device.

In short, Jim Samples felt responsible for the incident and unfortunately stepped-down from his position. Ever since he left that day, Cartoon Network has never been the same. Stuart Snyder succeeded Samples and, with his new title and power, has been the reason why so much quality programming, like The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, has been canceled. Under his reign of terror, reality show-inspired cartoon shows from Canadian animation studios have emerged including Total Drama Island and 6teen. Just this year, Cartoon Network has come to resemble the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon more and more with its own sports award show called the Hall of Game Awards, hosted by Tony Hawk (excuse me, but wasn’t Tony Hawk more relevant a couple of years back?). Not to mention that Cartoon Network, under Synder’s regime, introduced a number of live-action shows including Destroy Build Destroy (inappropriately and awkwardly hosted by Andrew W.K.), Dude, What Would Happen? (kids acting out their hypothetically questions? Cool?), and Tower Prep (a terrible rip-off of the X-Men’s Xavier Institute).

Along with some half-baked animated shows like The Problem Solverz (I don’t even know how to go about explaining this one) and MAD (an ill-conceived attempt at turning a good magazine into an animated mess slandered with weak pop culture jokes), Cartoon Network is in dire need of some original content. But, even when promising shows cross Cartoon Network’s path, they eventually are swept away by cancellation.

Among the crap that Cartoon Network produces, there have been some gems including cult favorites: Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, and the recently canceled, Sym-Bionic Titan.

The number of good shows getting canceled has caused many fans to fight back, with words, of course! Sym-Bionic Titan, which got axed in early April, was created by veteran Cartoon Network animator/director Genndy Tartakovsky — the man behind many Cartoon Network series including Samurai Jack, which, wait, was canceled too! Sym-Bionic Titan was Tartakovsky’s latest creation which followed the renegade lives of Illana (an other-worldly princess), Lance (the soldier with attitude) and Octus (the humanistic robot) who initially together form the fighting Sym-Bionic Titan robot. The series was a great mix of subtle humor and action and, according to Tartakovsky’s influences, was something along the lines of Voltron meets a John Hughes flick.

The second season of Sym-Bionic Titan left fans wanting more. Facebook fan pages, deviantART, petitions and Tumblr blogs soon exploded urging fans to demand more Titan. You see, when a show on Cartoon Network gets canceled, it just sort of disappears into oblivion. There are no reasons given for why it was canceled, it just ceases to exist. Some surmise that Cartoon Network takes in the number of actual television viewers, without taking into consideration the number of viewers watching episodes online via YouTube and Hulu. Another reason is that, according to Tartakovsky himself, Cartoon Network canceled Sym-Bionic Titan over the fact that the series didn’t produce a toy line.

The Facebook fan page “Help Sym-Bionic Titan Get Another Season” has been booming with over 4,000+ active supporters since early April. I was able to get in contact with two very passionate supporters Robert Diaz and Julie Rozen. Robert, who speaks for most Sym-Bionic Titan fans, feels that Cartoon Network only appeals to the younger demographic, but once people of all ages start enjoying a show, it gets canceled (similar to what happened to Samurai Jack). Robert said, “The cancellation of Sym-Bionic Titan is yet another nail in Cartoon Network’s coffin. Apparently the new people in charge have little regard for quality or their viewer base and are desperate to appeal to an audience outside the animated [cartoon] genre. This has failed on other networks, producing pathetic ratings that do little to improve the overall channel itself.”

Julie Rozen has organized the petition entitled “Make More Episodes of Sym-Bionic Titan!” with almost 1,000 signatures to date. She urges fans to not only help support the animated series but also its creator Genndy Tartakovsky who over the years has provided Cartoon Network with consistently smart, creative and innovative programming.

Some may feel that these lengths are a bit extreme and whiny, but, in the past, shows that were once said to be no more, like Family Guy and Futurama, have been resurrected by who else? Its fans. Cartoon Network has to remember the original programming that made it great, and give a new series a chance to resinate with its audience.

The few shows that have somehow managed to survive the cancellation process have become fast favorites. Star Wars: The Clone Wars, The Regular Show and the immensely popular Adventure Time may have what it takes to become a long-running series. What these shows have, especially The Regular Show and Adventure Time, is a nostalgic quality and mature sense of humor that is reminiscent of the great Ren & Stimpy. Just don’t tell Stuart Synder I told you this. He might cancel them for being too creative.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhh1alvxMw

E: I meant this one but, oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJMfjYobD0&feature=related

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 16, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Regular Show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

You know, for all that article points out as wrong, I can't take it seriously.

quote:

Stuart Snyder succeeded Samples and, with his new title and power, has been the reason why so much quality programming, like The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, has been canceled.

Billy & Mandy ran for 7 seasons and got multiple TV movies. CN ran that poo poo into the ground. Whining about it getting canceled is ridiculous, as is ragging on the president for doing so. I don't really like CN's live-action shows, but the way I've seen it, it's cheap to make, and it gets viewers, so good on them for surviving a recession.

quote:

Along with some half-baked animated shows like The Problem Solverz (I don’t even know how to go about explaining this one) and MAD (an ill-conceived attempt at turning a good magazine into an animated mess slandered with weak pop culture jokes), Cartoon Network is in dire need of some original content. But, even when promising shows cross Cartoon Network’s path, they eventually are swept away by cancellation.

Among the newer shows that Cartoon Network produces, there have been some gems including cult favorites: Chowder, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, and the recently canceled Sym-Bionic Titan.

Okay, MAD sucks. Haven't watched Problem Solverz, but I've heard mixed reviews. Chowder and Flapjack both got a chance to do a finale episode (from what I've heard, Thurop chose to end Flapjack himself, but I can't find anything to back that up, so I might be talking out of my rear end here).

Foster's ran for 6 seasons and had multiple movies! Granted, Sym-bionic Titan and Chowder definitely were ended prematurely, with creators wanting to do more, but that doesn't indicate some "trend" of canceling shows. Just because the network isn't producing as much original content as it did in the 90s and their president quit doesn't mean that suddenly, the network is some roving beast looking to destroy your favorite shows.

She also references bringing back Titan as a possibility because fans brought back Futurama and Family Guy, but fails to reference the fact that Adult Swim ran those shows (still does with FG) since nearly its inception, providing the fanbase (and DVD sales) that proved to network executives that bringing them back was a viable option. Overall, the whole page seems to be an excuse to poo poo on Stuart Snyder for some recent decisions. In conclusion, this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That blog post mostly just comes off as pissed that Symbionic Titan got cancelled.

Chowder, while I loved it, was getting pretty stale by the end. I'd rather shows like it and Flapjack get to do a proper ending and go out while they're still ok than run forever like Fairly Oddparents or SpongeBob (although I never did like SpongeBob in the first place).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whoah, I didn't even read that enough to see the Problem Solverz part. Anyone who complains about CN not having original shows and shits on PS is an idiot.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Network is the best they've been since the late 90s, it's not that the network has gotten worse it's that after a decade of obsessive cartoon-watching nothing can live up to those fuzzy childhood memories of yesteryear when the idea of a cartoon that wasn't re-runs of Looney Toons or Hannah-Barbera was new and exciting..

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Out of all the stuff Bakshi has done, they use Cool World as the example of his work. Poor guy :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Whoah, I didn't even read that enough to see the Problem Solverz part. Anyone who complains about CN not having original shows and shits on PS is an idiot.

Original and good are not the same thing. Especially in the case of Problem Solverz.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
For anyone mourning Chowder you should probably watch Gumball. It has sort of the same "feel" I guess. I mean there's only two episodes but the jokes have a pretty similar timing.

"I know what we need: a third best friend!"

"A third? Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Only if you make it weird. Would it be weird?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I keep expecting Gumball to yell I'M NOT YOUR BOYFRIEND! to his little sister and that's kind of unsettling. Is whoever does Gumball a former Chowder staff person or something because wow?