Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

Is that guy in the video driving a Caterham or a Lotus 7? That looks fun as hell, I wish they did something like this here.

It's a Westfield, says so at the end.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
new superretards vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YAwZP_35A

edit, fixed url, and hey, they just put up another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CqYCSCMaVU

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 14, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

echomadman posted:

new superretards vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YAwZP_35
:eng101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YAwZP_35A

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I recenty became the owner of a DRZ400s, and while its a neat little bike, I only got it so I could convert it to a SM. I put a couple ads up on Thumpertalk and SMJ hoping to trade my dirt wheels/suspension/brake bits for the SM parts.

I was wondering if that was a reasonable trade, and if not, what could I reasonably get for those parts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nyyen posted:

I recenty became the owner of a DRZ400s, and while its a neat little bike, I only got it so I could convert it to a SM. I put a couple ads up on Thumpertalk and SMJ hoping to trade my dirt wheels/suspension/brake bits for the SM parts.

I was wondering if that was a reasonable trade, and if not, what could I reasonably get for those parts?

It's not really a reasonable trade. The dirt wheels are worth about 500, and the SM wheels are worth about 800-1k. If you want to do it on the cheap, I'd recommend an EBC rotor setup with a 320mm rotor using the stock caliper with an adapter plate on the stock DRZ400S forks, and then you could either lace a 17in rim to the stock hubs, or run a stock SM front wheel. Other options are using a KTM rear and making an axle for the front (details on that on thumpertalk). Don't have time to write up all of the swap possibilities right now but if you want more info to go on, post up.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Ahh thanks, I had that feeling. Actually, I was wondering how may differences there are between the sm and the s. Will I need to completely replace the forks, or is it only the matter of changing out the springs or what not? Also, how does the ktm replacement work? Is it just the rims, and wouldn't KTM parts be far more expensive than the same DRZ parts?

Sorry about all the questions but all I know about SM's is that I have a burning desire to own one and zero cash.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

There's really no need to swap suspensions. The S forks actually have more travel though they're a bit softer stock which is easily remedied. Some guys actually prefer the S forks for sumo setups but YMMV.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Symphoric posted:

There's really no need to swap suspensions. The S forks actually have more travel though they're a bit softer stock which is easily remedied. Some guys actually prefer the S forks for sumo setups but YMMV.

Ah thanks for that. I was hoping to avoid doing a complete swap. So what would it take to stiffen it up on the cheap. Also, I haven't really grasped what is involved with the brake/speedo changes. Is it really as simple as getting a new set of rotors and an adapter, or do I need to completely change out he rotors, calipers, and everything else?

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 15, 2011

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'm starting to seriously consider picking up a DRZ, just need to sell my current bike first. What are they going to be like for someone 6'5" and about 220lbs?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Nyyen posted:

Ah thanks for that. I was hoping to avoid doing a complete swap. So what would it take to stiffen it up on the cheap. Also, I haven't really grasped what is involved with the brake/speedo changes. Is it really as simple as getting a new set of rotors and an adapter, or do I need to completely change out he rotors, calipers, and everything else?

If you pick up some SM wheels the stock speedo will work, and usually you can get them with rotors included. You should also be able to use the stock caliper with a caliper relocater bracket. They sell these on Motostrano as well as other places (you can also get rotors there if you need one). With the oversized rotor the stock S caliper is plenty good enough.

If you end up going with aftermarket wheels or a KTM wheel swap you'll need to get a Trailtech Vapor or something for the speedo. The rear KTM wheel bolts right on but the front takes a bit of work, I think you need a custom axle and possibly spacers to get them on but I'm not really sure. Seemed like too much work/money to me so I never looked much into it.

For the back brakes most people just stick with the stock S size rotor and not worry about the caliper at all there.

As for the suspension, you could go with some stiffer springs if you feel the need. Personally I just put some thicker fork oil in and messed with the adjustments and found it worked well enough for me with the stock springs. It's the kind of thing you need to ride around on a bit and figure out what's best for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aargh posted:

I'm starting to seriously consider picking up a DRZ, just need to sell my current bike first. What are they going to be like for someone 6'5" and about 220lbs?
They'll be fine. You might want to get some taller bars, but other than that, I don't think you'll have an issue. With the banana seat, you'll have plenty of room to side back and forth to get comfortable, and I'm heavier, so that's not an issue.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

They'll be fine. You might want to get some taller bars, but other than that, I don't think you'll have an issue. With the banana seat, you'll have plenty of room to side back and forth to get comfortable, and I'm heavier, so that's not an issue.

Fine then, was half looking for an excuse but I guess it's time for a new bike.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Aargh posted:

I can only speak to the height part, but I'm 6'5" 190 and everything was reasonably placed for me stock.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Just have to sit farther back to wheelie. Upside is sitting forward you can launch a wheelie from a dead stop like a badass.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nyyen posted:

Ahh thanks, I had that feeling. Actually, I was wondering how may differences there are between the sm and the s. Will I need to completely replace the forks, or is it only the matter of changing out the springs or what not? Also, how does the ktm replacement work? Is it just the rims, and wouldn't KTM parts be far more expensive than the same DRZ parts?

Sorry about all the questions but all I know about SM's is that I have a burning desire to own one and zero cash.

Ok, so the spacing on the forks/swingarms is the same for both the right side up (S) and the upside down (SM) forks. So you can swap wheel sets between S and SM models without a problem.

However, the rotors are different on the SM model vs. the S model, front and rear. So are the swingarms and axle adjusters. So you can swap SM wheels over to your S but you'll need to use S model rotors, and the S model axles and forks/swingarm, or do the full SM conversion and use SM upside down forks, S model swingarm, S model axles/axles adjusters.

The solution to the wimpy S model front brake rotor is to toss an EBC 320mm rotor, it comes with an adapter so the stock caliper gets spaced out. It's around $150 from speedaddictcycles.com with discount, IIRC.

The KTM stuff is a direct bolt on on the rear as long as you have the same axle size. The front requires new spacers or spacers and sleeves if you get the right size wheels. I found a set of Duke 2 wheels for $500 with rotors and sprockets, so it made sense. I had an axle made for around $80 (although it was the cause of no end of irritation getting it made).

(I realize some of this is now redundant but I wrote it last night and forgot to submit it)

Symphoric posted:

If you pick up some SM wheels the stock speedo will work, and usually you can get them with rotors included. You should also be able to use the stock caliper with a caliper relocater bracket. They sell these on Motostrano as well as other places (you can also get rotors there if you need one). With the oversized rotor the stock S caliper is plenty good enough.

If you end up going with aftermarket wheels or a KTM wheel swap you'll need to get a Trailtech Vapor or something for the speedo. The rear KTM wheel bolts right on but the front takes a bit of work, I think you need a custom axle and possibly spacers to get them on but I'm not really sure. Seemed like too much work/money to me so I never looked much into it.

For the back brakes most people just stick with the stock S size rotor and not worry about the caliper at all there.

As for the suspension, you could go with some stiffer springs if you feel the need. Personally I just put some thicker fork oil in and messed with the adjustments and found it worked well enough for me with the stock springs. It's the kind of thing you need to ride around on a bit and figure out what's best for you.

You'll need a the correct size speedo drive to get the speedo to read right, IIRC.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Z3n posted:

The solution to the wimpy S model front brake rotor is to toss an EBC 320mm rotor, it comes with an adapter so the stock caliper gets spaced out. It's around $150 from speedaddictcycles.com with discount, IIRC.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this would you? I searched the website but got about 1000 hits on EBC brakes but nothing about relocators or any details. But maybe I'm just dumb.

My current rotor (310mm) should probably be replaced.

Z3n posted:

You'll need a the correct size speedo drive to get the speedo to read right, IIRC.
You're right, I forgot to mention this.

vvvv Thanks :) vvvvv

Symphoric fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 15, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Symphoric posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this would you? I searched the website but got about 1000 hits on EBC rotors and none seem to have any details on what wheels they fit. But maybe I'm just dumb.

My current rotor (310mm) should probably be replaced.

EBC part number:
SM6017C
Contact speed addict cycles through
http://www.speedaddictcycles.com/c=Cct2wZR2TgtyHoaK3s3nOcTnU/contact_us.cgis
to order...it's not listed on his website at the moment. Mention you've been recommended by Conan for the discount :)

You can see the EBC stuff here:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2011_USA_MC_Cat.pdf

Page 336/Suzuki/DRZ400 (they all run the same rotor bolt spacing/axle setup, unless you have an SM model, which uses different fork legs.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Symphoric and Z3n posted:

A bunch of useful info.

Ahh that pretty much covered it. Thanks.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Successfully resealed the rocker cover on my KTM LC4 engine. That bad boy was seeping oil like a motherfucker before, but a liberal dose of Hondabond 4 and 72 hours fixed that up. When I cracked open the rocker cover there was basically no sealant present, which is pretty scary if it came that way from the factory.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I'm wanting to get into Supermoto's (Christoff's fault). This will be my first bike, so I'm looking for low maint, dependable, solid, etc.

A friend's cousin is selling a 2006 DR650 Street and Trail (S? SE?), Yellow, with 6000 miles on it for $3000. I'm wondering what the average consesus is if it's worthwhile to look into.

For starters, I hate yellow and would want to change the panels and all that to black - how much am I looking at there?

Also, I want a supermoto. Christoff's got me wanting a DRZ400sm bad. With that in mind, what am I looking at to make this thing a sumo? Is it even worth looking at or should I just keep on the search for a 400? (I live in the loving boonies and there's nothing even on craigslist remotely close.)

I live 2 miles from work and want the bike mainly for the daily commute which is what I'll mostly use it for. I'll use it to cruise around town but probably not any major road trips. I like to play in the dirt with my jeep sometimes on my way to / from work, there are plenty of mild trails around here for joyriding.

I'm 5'8", 30" inseam, 165lbs.

Sorry I haven't gotten all the info, it's a pretty casual exchange right now with my friend so nothing serious, I told him I might check it out. Just wanting your opinions.

edit: more info.

edit2: But then again looking more at craigslist I did find this listing http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2378498158.html much higher mileage but lower price.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 16, 2011

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Christoff is selling his 690SM right? Why not buy that? It's not QUITE the worst beginner bike ever :v:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

needknees posted:

Christoff is selling his 690SM right? Why not buy that? It's not QUITE the worst beginner bike ever :v:

He's actually on the other side of the country or I would.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
im scoring some bargain stuff for the DRZ.
OEM supermoto wheels with less than 500 miles, $600 off ebay.
ohlins shock for $250.

Thought i'd spread jealousy throughout the realm.

Need to sort out the forks, also did the opposite of most and put a quieter exhaust on the DRZ. previously an E full system, i put on a new S full system i got for free, and i love the stealth of it :)

I wonder how it would go with a 470 motor and the S exhaust

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I'm wanting to get into Supermoto's (Christoff's fault). This will be my first bike, so I'm looking for low maint, dependable, solid, etc.

A friend's cousin is selling a 2006 DR650 Street and Trail (S? SE?), Yellow, with 6000 miles on it for $3000. I'm wondering what the average consesus is if it's worthwhile to look into.

For starters, I hate yellow and would want to change the panels and all that to black - how much am I looking at there?

Also, I want a supermoto. Christoff's got me wanting a DRZ400sm bad. With that in mind, what am I looking at to make this thing a sumo? Is it even worth looking at or should I just keep on the search for a 400? (I live in the loving boonies and there's nothing even on craigslist remotely close.)

I live 2 miles from work and want the bike mainly for the daily commute which is what I'll mostly use it for. I'll use it to cruise around town but probably not any major road trips. I like to play in the dirt with my jeep sometimes on my way to / from work, there are plenty of mild trails around here for joyriding.

Sorry I haven't gotten all the info, it's a pretty casual exchange right now with my friend so nothing serious, I told him I might check it out. Just wanting your opinions.

edit2: But then again looking more at craigslist I did find this listing http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2378498158.html much higher mileage but lower price.

You live in a sad, sad land.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=supermoto&srchType=A

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

God, there really is nothing available in your area. I wouldn't recommend Sumoing a DR650. Air cooled single, heavier, suspension isn't as modern. However, some people have done it. Figure you're going to spend at least 1k on a supermoto conversion on top of the purchase price of the bike though.

I wouldn't recommend commuting a 2 mile ride on any motorcycle, though...not enough time for the bike to get up to temp and run properly before you're at work.

If your commute is that short, and you want to do some offroad playing around, I'd probably look for a smaller, lighter bike. KLX300 or similar such option. Supermotos are great but generally more street oriented and it sounds like you're more offroad oriented.

Yautja posted:

im scoring some bargain stuff for the DRZ.
OEM supermoto wheels with less than 500 miles, $600 off ebay.
ohlins shock for $250.

Thought i'd spread jealousy throughout the realm.

Need to sort out the forks, also did the opposite of most and put a quieter exhaust on the DRZ. previously an E full system, i put on a new S full system i got for free, and i love the stealth of it :)

I wonder how it would go with a 470 motor and the S exhaust

That is drat cheap. That ohlins for $250 is especially crazy. Stealth exhausts for life. In my experience, when you bore out the bikes and keep the S/E model exhausts on them, they tend to get huge midrange but run out of steam at the top end like crazy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I know :suicide:

And DC is 2 hours north of me. :negative:

Z3n posted:

God, there really is nothing available in your area. I wouldn't recommend Sumoing a DR650. Air cooled single, heavier, suspension isn't as modern. However, some people have done it. Figure you're going to spend at least 1k on a supermoto conversion on top of the purchase price of the bike though.

I wouldn't recommend commuting a 2 mile ride on any motorcycle, though...not enough time for the bike to get up to temp and run properly before you're at work.

If your commute is that short, and you want to do some offroad playing around, I'd probably look for a smaller, lighter bike. KLX300 or similar such option. Supermotos are great but generally more street oriented and it sounds like you're more offroad oriented.

I'd say I'm actually more street oriented, I guess my op made it sound more offroad. I'm drawn to sumo's because from what I understand, just swap out the tires and have fun.

As far as the 2 mile commute, I suppose I really could take the scenic route by the beach on the way home and add 4+ miles (which I probably would anyways).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'd say I'm actually more street oriented, I guess my op made it sound more offroad. I'm drawn to sumo's because from what I understand, just swap out the tires and have fun.

As far as the 2 mile commute, I suppose I really could take the scenic route by the beach on the way home and add 4+ miles (which I probably would anyways).

They work fine on mild offroading with just the street tires on there. No need to swap tires. As to the commute distance, that's your call...short trips are hard on bikes though, they see their most wear while coming up to temp and the oil never has the chance to get properly hot and burn off condensation and water that builds in the oil.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
2 mile commute i'd use one of these:

Z3n, agreed on the 470 there. We all mostly use low end & mid range anyway, i rarely top it out. the 470 would give me the most useful power without spending heaps on fcr41, full system exhaust..

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DRZs pop up around DC on occasion. The bike market here is mostly affluent lawyers and IT professionals, so they're not as common as other things. I've only ever seen one or two supermotos on the road besides mine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What world do you live in where a 470 kit is cheaper than an FCR?

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
I mean, for an FCR41 :) I already have an fcr39 on my E model, going to a 41 would be silly without a full system exhaust since the 39 gives superior low to mid range power.
money would be better put into the 470.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Z3n posted:

They work fine on mild offroading with just the street tires on there. No need to swap tires. As to the commute distance, that's your call...short trips are hard on bikes though, they see their most wear while coming up to temp and the oil never has the chance to get properly hot and burn off condensation and water that builds in the oil.

This is often how my DRZ gets treated, ~6 minute drive to work. I do usually try to warm the bike up for at least 5 minutes. Could this be causing my issues with my DRZ intermittently not wanting to start?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

This is often how my DRZ gets treated, ~6 minute drive to work. I do usually try to warm the bike up for at least 5 minutes. Could this be causing my issues with my DRZ intermittently not wanting to start?

Do you put it on a trickle charger? A bunch of starting, idling, and then a short ride could definitely cause battery issues.

Yautja posted:

I mean, for an FCR41 :) I already have an fcr39 on my E model, going to a 41 would be silly without a full system exhaust since the 39 gives superior low to mid range power.
money would be better put into the 470.

Ahh, right.

Or you could just buy a KTM 690 SMC ;)

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
mate i would love a 690. Unfortunately i've spent way too much dollars in bikes over the years, namely, multiple KTM 950 Adventures & Super enduro and need to smarten up and buy property or something.
Or at least a round the world motorcycle trip ;)

At the moment ive got less than $2500 invested in the DRZ, even after a corbin seat, 28L tank, motard wheels, ohlins shock.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Very nice. I was about $3500 into my DRZ when it was all said and done. Did the motomaster caliper work out for you?

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
i didnt have that for long, it went with the last KTM 950. wish i had of kept that for this DRZ!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
On the topic of short-commutes: this is the reason I am fixing up my BSA Bantam. I'm commuting just a few miles every day and it's murder on the oil. I'm currently changing the oil at half the recommended interval and still its coming out black as the interior of beelzebubs bum.

The Bantam, while not awesome-supermoto-commuter-fun, is a 2t and much more amenable to short journeys.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Aargh posted:

You can come ride mine if you are ever in Newcastle.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dubs posted:

You can come ride mine if you are ever in Newcastle.

Cheers, think I might just hunt out a few test rides at dealers maybe this weekend then wait for something to pop up on eBay / bikesales / is there anything else?

Also what's considered high / excessively high mileage on DRZ's, there's been a few show up online with 40-50000km's (30 thou miles). Would they be any good? Or really at the end of their lives?

eg.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-MOTARD-DRZ-400-SM-5-500-/130521740987?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1e63b3b6bb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aargh posted:

Cheers, think I might just hunt out a few test rides at dealers maybe this weekend then wait for something to pop up on eBay / bikesales / is there anything else?

Also what's considered high / excessively high mileage on DRZ's, there's been a few show up online with 40-50000km's (30 thou miles). Would they be any good? Or really at the end of their lives?

eg.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-MOTARD-DRZ-400-SM-5-500-/130521740987?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1e63b3b6bb

Huh, that's a 470 bike. I'd wonder who's built it, modded bikes are only worth it if they're reputable and you have some kind of backup on the engine or are getting it cheap enough to pay for a replacement engine for when it pops. High mileage on well cared for, stock DRZs isn't a problem, but on built bikes it's real hit or miss.

• Locked thread