Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Defiance Industries posted:

Technically, Loki started out as a nickname for a covert ops group that didn't exist. It took hundreds of years for them to even get caught and for the Archon to have to admit they were real, and by then the nickname had inertia.

In the first Warrior book, whats-her-name that ends up as Melissa's double recognizes that she's being abducted by Loki because one of them is wearing collar insignia. Stackpole :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Boscrossos posted:

Meh, they had it coming, living next to a fuel refinery. What kind of urban planning is that? No respect for human lives, I tell you...

Tharkad's probably like Los Angeles, with the refinery and other industries starting out in the middle of nowhere, far away from anyone until urban sprawl resulted in a tidal wave of idiots moving in and filing complaints about the noise/smell/pollution/anything else non-morons should have known about before signing on the dotted line. Good thing ExxonInterstellar's board of directors have friends in high places who can creatively resolve legal disputes on their behalf.:v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Merry Marauder posted:

In the first Warrior book, whats-her-name that ends up as Melissa's double recognizes that she's being abducted by Loki because one of them is wearing collar insignia. Stackpole :argh:

Jeana "I'm perfect so that it's 'Tragedy' when I Die in Book 3" Clay

EDIT: You know there really should be a limit on how long something's a spoiler. But since I'm a nice guy, here ya go.

Rosebud is his sled, by the way. And Vader's Luke's father. Oh, and in the Civil War? Lincoln dies in the end.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 16, 2011

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Hey spoiler that 20 year old book please I haven't read that old poo poo yet :smith:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that really sums up Stackpole in a single scene. His bad guys are dumb enough to wear identifying insignia on black ops missions.

Also if a Capellan actually fights someone and they get a name, they are either a spy or will defect.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 16, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I think that really sums up Stackpole in a single scene. His bad guys are dumb enough to wear identifying insignia on black ops missions.

Let me tell you about an organization called Cerberus.

This does remind me however that I need to start reading all those old books. I'm not sure I've ever slogged through even one before :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Also if a Capellan actually fights someone and they get a name, they are either a spy or will defect.
Why would LOKI even have insignia? When would it ever be useful or necessary in any way for them?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

evilmiera posted:

Let me tell you about an organization called Cerberus.

Not only do they have insignia, they have a ginormously huge space station built in the shape of the insignia, and a recognizable color scheme - both of which they paint on their warship. Uniforms, too!

It is a cool color scheme, though.

But then, I submit that when an organization is large enough, well-funded enough and powerful enough to claim to have things like "ginormous" space stations which they clearly constructed on their own, as well as "warships" (or singular "warship," in this case,) that they have transitioned from "secret organization" to "hostile foreign power".

(It really is a bitching awesome color scheme, though. Black and white with gold trim. Doesn't get much better than that.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

But then, I submit that when an organization is large enough, well-funded enough and powerful enough to claim to have things like "ginormous" space stations which they clearly constructed on their own, as well as "warships" (or singular "warship," in this case,) that they have transitioned from "secret organization" to "hostile foreign power".

I concur, actually. Which makes what Shepard was doing throughout all of Mass Effect 2 something we we like to call "treason."

Which is probably why you start Mass Effect 3 on trial, come to think of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

paragon1 posted:

Why would LOKI even have insignia? When would it ever be useful or necessary in any way for them?

Their lounge in LIC HQ needs something to engrave into their tables.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Their lounge in LIC HQ needs something to engrave into their tables.

Letterhead. The key to winning budget battles is snappy graphic design.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

jng2058 posted:

I concur, actually. Which makes what Shepard was doing throughout all of Mass Effect 2 something we we like to call "treason."

You're actually on trial for Batarian Genocide (which I hope the renegade option is to plead guild)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So about how much time has passed since this LP started anyways? The clans made some solid progress between last battle and this one, so I am a bit curious.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KnoxZone posted:

So about how much time has passed since this LP started anyways? The clans made some solid progress between last battle and this one, so I am a bit curious.

You're the only clanner here. You don't know how your own war is going? Way to train your troops, Steel Viper. :saddowns:

The next mission we take skips ahead to fighting in the newly formed Ghost Bear Dominion.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Zaodai posted:

You're the only clanner here. You don't know how your own war is going? Way to train your troops, Steel Viper. :saddowns:

The next mission we take skips ahead to fighting in the newly formed Ghost Bear Dominion.

What? There is no way we are skipping the Federated Confederation Civil War. Those battles were downright nasty.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

You're actually on trial for Batarian Genocide (which I hope the renegade option is to plead guild)

What, really? So you get off scott free for the whole joining Cerebus thing? You're on trial for something that only happens in DLC that I haven't even played?

Lame.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

jng2058 posted:

As a Spectre (if you took the Paragon path and hence, got re-inducted,) only the Citadel Council has the authority to bring a charge like that. The defense will submit the gun-cam footage of Collectors harvesting entire colonies and the Collectors obviously building a new reaper, and then rest.

Besides, it wasn't like they were in a big fat hurry to give her a new ship, let alone one as cool as the SR-2, which, let's face it, is probably one of the most expensive and powerful and definitely the coolest ships flying. :)

(As evidence of expense, you have to strip-mine several star systems to fully upgrade it. As evidence of power, I submit the time when the SR-2 took on a much-larger Collector cruiser which previously made mincemeat out of the SR-1 and whooped it's drive core through its bridge.)

quote:

Can't that poor woman catch a break? Come on - saved the galaxy twice already, jackholes.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Wait, what? Batarian Genocide?... Okay, sure, over the course of Mass Effect 2, Shepard no doubt deservices more Batarians than the average Marine Squad over the course of a pitched campaign of warfare, but genocide?

How in the hell do you genocide a space-faring race, anyway? It's not easy. The Reapers will testify to that.

jng2058 posted:

What, really? So you get off scott free for the whole joining Cerebus thing? You're on trial for something that only happens in DLC that I haven't even played?

What, really? It's in loving DLC? So they're putting major plot points in the freaking DLC... >_<

Sons of bitches. I haven't even seen anything of the bonuses I was supposed to get for forking out an extra :10bux: for the "Digital Deluxe Edition," and none of the DLC seems to be available through Steam.

:argh:

[edit]Also, I thought you could always maintain that you never joined Cerberus, and was just using their equipment and crew to do the right thing. I even went so far as to never wear the Cerberus uniform... (Well, I cheated: I didn't wear the clothes that had Shepard wearing a Cerberus badge, but I did put on the "ship" uniform that Dr. Chakwas was wearing. Felt it would be good for unit cohesion. Also, so I didn't look ridiculous wearing farm-girl clothes yet commanding a bright and shiny silver warship where everyone was wearing the same colors.)

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 17, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

How in the hell do you genocide a space-faring race, anyway?

Mass Effect 2: Arrival spoiler

It's not really genocide, Shepard only kills about 300,000 by blowing up a mass relay (which is something the Clans probably wouldn't like since those can't be rebuild) and taking out one of their systems with the resulting explosion.

Naturally very spoiler heavy: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Arrival_(assignment)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So about those giant robots...

Is the Assassin really going to be able to do enough damage fast enough to take out that train?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

So about those giant robots...

Is the Assassin really going to be able to do enough damage fast enough to take out that train?

The Assassin can do 22 damage in a single turn, if it fires everything (and kicks).

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Assassin can do 22 damage in a single turn, if it fires everything (and kicks).

Sooooo no, not much of a chance, no.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This is something real Black Ops do. Bet you've heard of these guys.

Or how about these guys.

The kinds of people who are involved in military grade black ops (as opposed to actual spying) also tend to have lots of tattoos.

Truth is, even real spy agencies tend to attract a lot of people who are in it for the glamor and prestige. If you're lucky and someone smart is in charge, they are actually quite useful. Let them run around and believe that they are spies, and involved in very important covert operations despite being flashy and very noticeable. This way they got blown up first when you upset someone instead of losing valuable assets who do real work.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tempest_56 posted:

Sooooo no, not much of a chance, no.

Don't worry, he can explode!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Don't worry, he can explode!

The train is neither a Loki 'mech, nor a commercial or industrial building. I don't think it counts. Focus on the buildings, maybe try for a Stinger kill, and worry about the train when you've done everything else but die.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

jng2058 posted:

The train is neither a Loki 'mech, nor a commercial or industrial building. I don't think it counts. Focus on the buildings, maybe try for a Stinger kill, and worry about the train when you've done everything else but die.

The train is shaded in red, the same shade of red as the commercial and industrial buildings. Destroying it is probably going to count towards the property damage total. I believe PTN has flat out stated that as well.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/ Thanks for the quick confirmation, PTN!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

The train is shaded in red, the same shade of red as the commercial and industrial buildings. Destroying it is probably going to count towards the property damage total. I believe PTN has flat out stated that as well.

I will do so again: it does.

If it's red, it's dead.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

LLSix posted:

This is something real Black Ops do. Bet you've heard of these guys.

Truth is, even real spy agencies tend to attract a lot of people who are in it for the glamor and prestige. If you're lucky and someone smart is in charge, they are actually quite useful. Let them run around and believe that they are spies, and involved in very important covert operations despite being flashy and very noticeable. This way they got blown up first when you upset someone instead of losing valuable assets who do real work.

I don't think you can call any of those organizations "black ops," but that's beside the point. The event in question was tasked to the head of Lyran intelligence by the head of state herself. It is in no way a diversion.

Outside of a police state, which the Lyran Commonwealth is not, it strains credulity to have operatives stealth into an apartment in a residential neighborhood in order to quietly abduct someone - while rocking collar tabs. Especially since the target is military, and if you wanted her to overtly disappear into the system, you could just scoop her up on base.

I don't want to detail the book here, but believe me, it doesn't make any sense, especially since the character had previous experience with Loki, so she could have exposited about her attackers to Stackpole's heart's content without a handy identification displayed on their person.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

maybe the trains construction factor is for the entire train, if so, keep hitting it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

maybe the trains construction factor is for the entire train, if so, keep hitting it.

It's not a building, I'm counting it as a single armorless support vehicle with a LOT of structure. It's a single entity, so yes, that structure is for the whole train.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PTN, can you introduce the Gauss to House Steiner soon so I can write the Hollander writeup I am obligated to do?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a building, I'm counting it as a single armorless support vehicle with a LOT of structure. It's a single entity, so yes, that structure is for the whole train.

In that case keep going at it. You only need to last two turns. Which you can possibly do. Jump to the far end, kick and fire everything, then jump back and do the same. Then die and do 20 damage to it.

Or go up and try to sink the highrise. That should be enough.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Affi posted:

In that case keep going at it. You only need to last two turns. Which you can possibly do. Jump to the far end, kick and fire everything, then jump back and do the same. Then die and do 20 damage to it.

Or go up and try to sink the highrise. That should be enough.

Just be careful...part of the train is between those residential buildings. If the P-hawk or Grasshopper blow you up next to them, that could bring you too close to mission failure.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

jng2058 posted:

Just be careful...part of the train is between those residential buildings. If the P-hawk or Grasshopper blow you up next to them, that could bring you too close to mission failure.

Yup. But jumping up there would make it very very hard for the grasshopper to kill you. And when you jump back you should be out of range.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

assassin you may want to jump your full 7, with the conditions that is a total of +7 on any rolls to hit you with an energy weapon +6 with non, then hopefully you get medium range at least against the grasshopper (and can trick the von luckner out of the way) which is a further +2, and it will likely need to move so another +1 at least... minimum of an 11 to hit you maybe more. DO IT.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

AtomikKrab posted:

assassin you may want to jump your full 7, with the conditions that is a total of +7 on any rolls to hit you with an energy weapon +6 with non, then hopefully you get medium range at least against the grasshopper (and can trick the von luckner out of the way) which is a further +2, and it will likely need to move so another +1 at least... minimum of an 11 to hit you maybe more. DO IT.

But how will he die that way?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PTN: Can the players self-destruct their 'mechs intentionally? I imagine that the ejector seat is probably wired to the bombs, rather than the ejection system.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
As someone mentioned earlier, disabling the heat sinks and jumping & alpha striking for a couple straight turns would do the job too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nevets posted:

As someone mentioned earlier, disabling the heat sinks and jumping & alpha striking for a couple straight turns would do the job too.

Unless you just shut down instead of setting off your ammo. I'm not sure what the odds are for that.

I'll ask again, though: can a mech pick up a train car?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nevets posted:

Alpha strike in a light mech: We're firing BOTH SRM2s! Prepare for the heat!

Pretty sure PTN indicated that the mechs could be intentionally self-destructed, hence the only way to lose is to go unconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I wonder if there are rules for ammo after it has been dumped. You'd think 2000 lbs of .50 cal that has more potential energy than C4 doesn't magically go inert after it touches soil. Maybe they could dump ammo, then shoot/stomp it? I wouldn't trust the built in auto destruct controls now that the players' orders have turned out to be suspect.

• Locked thread