Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

LightWarden posted:

Aw, you missed the fun of the high level opponents. Level and ability drain everywhere. And Malcanthet atop a throne of writhing limbs in a throne room that is a continuous orgy.

Yeah man I love trying to figure out the impact of ability drain plus damage in addition to the impact of lost levels combined with round-by-round tracking of various buffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I don't really have the time to make an adventure of my own, but I'd like to try running a Pathfinder game over IRC (or whatever) with some scattered friends and maybe a few random goons. If anyone has used a published adventure, did you have any problems with people acquiring that adventure and reading it?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Same trust factor as running any published game. Throw in a little free improvisation as you go(the published adventure is great at doing goalposts and predefined, detailed scenes), and people trying to exploit the adventure by knowing whats in it beforehand are robbing themselves of the fun anyways.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Danhenge posted:

Yeah man I love trying to figure out the impact of ability drain plus damage in addition to the impact of lost levels combined with round-by-round tracking of various buffs

Yeah, the high-level combat is pretty much a game of casters throwing unstoppable forces against immovable objects and seeing which yields first. Savage Tide has all that, and the added bonus of throwing in Malcanthet with all the subtlety of an out-of-control locomotive (ugh, that chapter).

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, the high-level combat is pretty much a game of casters throwing unstoppable forces against immovable objects and seeing which yields first. Savage Tide has all that, and the added bonus of throwing in Malcanthet with all the subtlety of an out-of-control locomotive (ugh, that chapter).

Yeah to be honest, one part of me was psyched to get to certain parts of Savage Tide, while the other got totally sick of running combat once my players started advancing out of the 3.5 "sweet spot." Plus, as I've mentioned in another thread, I made the classic mistake of letting one of the PCs be a Vow of Poverty druid, one of THE most broken builds in the history of 3.5. He pretty much ruined the fun for everyone after a while because I kept having to nerf him on the fly, etc.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually ran Savage Tide to its conclusion, because some of the battles at the end seem like monstrous grinds that would eat up hours and hours just to complete.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Argali posted:

I made the classic mistake of letting one of the PCs be a Vow of Poverty druid, one of THE most broken builds in the history of 3.5. He pretty much ruined the fun for everyone after a while because I kept having to nerf him on the fly, etc.

I see the problem there. Vow of Poverty is pretty drat weak actually.
The Druid is another matter. It's hard to actually BE a weak druid in 3.5.

PF Druids are a bit less insane though.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

veekie posted:

I see the problem there. Vow of Poverty is pretty drat weak actually.
The Druid is another matter. It's hard to actually BE a weak druid in 3.5.

PF Druids are a bit less insane though.

But still really good. I've had some luck balancing them by making them cast as bards; with all the stuff they get they have no business being full casters.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, take a 3.5 druid for example.
It has:
-Animal companion - like a Fighter, only without equipment and replaceable on the cheap.
-Wild Shape - become a monster. You can do the obvious and be a tank, or use it for scouting, mobility, etc etc.
-Spellcasting - full casting class, albeit with a relatively weaker spell list than the wizard and cleric. Not by much though, and its aces are as good as any.
-Equipment - Meld into your form when wildshaped you say? Buy a Wisdom booster for the DCs and spell slots, a couple of basic defense items(slotless or Wild)...then blow the rest on turning your pet into a full fledged Fighter equivalent.

Its like 3 characters at once, with 2 characters worth of actions.

PF Druid's Wild Shape is now more like Rage as far as combat goes, but the rest stays the same. Personally I'd just switch the Ranger and the Druid's animal companion, the Ranger could use one that could stand up in a fight.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Summoners have the same problem, if you're trying to you can end up with an absolutely broken eidolon.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
How exactly do Prestige Classes work? When a Fighter finally meets the prereqs to be a Stalwart Defender, does he basically multiclass as an Nth level Fighter / 1st level Stalwart Defender? Or is it something else?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Yes. Though technically I don't believe it's considered multi-classing since there's no XP penalty.

I may still be thinking in 3.5 on that one.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Donraj posted:

Yes. Though technically I don't believe it's considered multi-classing since there's no XP penalty.

I may still be thinking in 3.5 on that one.

There's no XP penalties for multiclassing anymore, but you do lose out on the Favored Class bonus that you get for each level in any one class of your choice, usually either +1 hp or +1 skill point. There are some other options for the bonus if you look in the APG, too.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
So my Fighter becomes a 10th level Fighter / 1st level Stalwart Defender, then?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Iron Squid posted:

So my Fighter becomes a 10th level Fighter / 1st level Stalwart Defender, then?

Yup.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Argali posted:

Yeah to be honest, one part of me was psyched to get to certain parts of Savage Tide, while the other got totally sick of running combat once my players started advancing out of the 3.5 "sweet spot." Plus, as I've mentioned in another thread, I made the classic mistake of letting one of the PCs be a Vow of Poverty druid, one of THE most broken builds in the history of 3.5. He pretty much ruined the fun for everyone after a while because I kept having to nerf him on the fly, etc.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually ran Savage Tide to its conclusion, because some of the battles at the end seem like monstrous grinds that would eat up hours and hours just to complete.

Are you making him actually play it all correctly? I mean, he has to stick to each Vow he takes, always strive to do everything he can to be the best person possible, consider all options and how he would do them to further his church's aims, etc. Also, just because he's in the group doesn't mean the treasure gets split without him as a possible source. I.e., in a 5 person party, the other four people don't suddenly get 25%. Everyone gets 20%, and his portion goes to the poor, or soup kitchens, etc. This could even work against him, when enemies start targeting those people to get at him.

VoP isn't nearly as broken as everyone wants it to be. I played a Saint and it was pretty drat hard, since I actually had to stick to all of that stuff.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Vow of Poverty (from the Book of Exalted Deeds) seems potent to begin with, but loses its power as you level, since at higher levels you have enough cash to buy/build items that provide you with everything VoP provides while still having some left over to buy more magical loot. Vow of Poverty (from Ultimate Magic, the new PF supplement) is broken in the sense that it is literally terrible, because you give up magic items (a vital component of the game) in exchange for a few extra ki points per day. Though it does allow you to have one item, into which you presumably throw all your wealth-per-level. It was not a very well-planned vow.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
So a few of my friends play in Societies on Thursdays, and they invited me to join them this week. I downloaded a few books to check things out, and I'm trying to decide what I should play. Apparently they don't have anybody in the current group who can deal with traps, so I was thinking I'd play something who can disarm to make life a little less filled with arrows and tripwires for everyone. But, beyond that, I have no idea. Could anybody recommended a class or build that can tinker with traps while kicking rear end and taking names? I've played 3.5 before, but I've never messed with Pathfinder to know what's different/worth using.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Reminder that there's a SRD containing most of the stuff they've put out (plus some more stuff in the "work in progress" section).

Anyways, if you somehow can't play a trapfinding caster, you will probably want a Rogue. Human, Half-Elf or Elf is probably your best bet. Get a high Dexterity and Weapon Finesse, wield a rapier in your main hand, and some other light one-handed weapon later on once you get two-weapon fighting. Trick to playing a rogue in combat is to find any situation where the target is flat-footed or flanked and attack it as many times in one turn as you possibly can to make the most of your sneak attack. Dexterity boosts your attacks, AC, Reflex, Stealth, Disable Device, Initiative, and other vital rogue statistics. It is the god-stat for a non-caster, your alpha and your omega.

What level and point buy are you starting at?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

LightWarden posted:

Reminder that there's a SRD containing most of the stuff they've put out (plus some more stuff in the "work in progress" section).

Anyways, if you somehow can't play a trapfinding caster, you will probably want a Rogue. Human, Half-Elf or Elf is probably your best bet. Get a high Dexterity and Weapon Finesse, wield a rapier in your main hand, and some other light one-handed weapon later on once you get two-weapon fighting. Trick to playing a rogue in combat is to find any situation where the target is flat-footed or flanked and attack it as many times in one turn as you possibly can to make the most of your sneak attack. Dexterity boosts your attacks, AC, Reflex, Stealth, Disable Device, Initiative, and other vital rogue statistics. It is the god-stat for a non-caster, your alpha and your omega.

What level and point buy are you starting at?
d20pfsrd is a fan-run site, not anything official from Paizo at all. That's not to say the folks at Paizo have any issue with the site, as they've said on more than one separate occasion. (While almost all of the rules content of Paizo books is Open Gaming Content, and can be legally reposted wherever as long as appropriate credit is given, d20PFSRD tends to put a 2-week embargo on posting any new content from books Paizo's just released. Ultimate Magic content will not be formally posted to the site until next month, for example, even though its street date is the 18th of May.)

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

So a few of my friends play in Societies on Thursdays, and they invited me to join them this week. I downloaded a few books to check things out, and I'm trying to decide what I should play. Apparently they don't have anybody in the current group who can deal with traps, so I was thinking I'd play something who can disarm to make life a little less filled with arrows and tripwires for everyone. But, beyond that, I have no idea. Could anybody recommended a class or build that can tinker with traps while kicking rear end and taking names? I've played 3.5 before, but I've never messed with Pathfinder to know what's different/worth using.

Dip a single level of rogue for Trapfinding and getting the class skill bonus, then play a wizard (or alchemist I guess).

Pathfinder is basically 3.5 with a smattering of house rules and some new classes, so if you know enough about 3.5 to know that you always play a caster, you should be pretty good to go for PF.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Dip a single level of rogue for Trapfinding and getting the class skill bonus, then play a wizard (or alchemist I guess).

Pathfinder is basically 3.5 with a smattering of house rules and some new classes, so if you know enough about 3.5 to know that you always play a caster, you should be pretty good to go for PF.
No, you wanna go Rogue 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster 10, then finish off with more Wizard so you can have 9th level spells at character level 20. Caster PLUS sneak attack.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Kvantum posted:

No, you wanna go Rogue 3/Wizard 3/Arcane Trickster 10, then finish off with more Wizard so you can have 9th level spells at character level 20. Caster PLUS sneak attack.

I've have to agree with this if you want to emphasize the piw piw end of things. The alchemist multiclass works better if you prefer to melee or throw poo poo.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Kvantum posted:

Yeah, except that spellcasting is about a million times better that sneak attacking.

That setup works great if you're starting at 20th level or whatever, but in practice being up to two full spell levels behind for your whole career really sucks and is not worth any amount of sneak attack. And that's even before you account for caster level on all your spells!

Really, if you have full arcane spellcasting, why the gently caress are you dealing damage to begin with? Why do you give a poo poo about (quite conditionally) doing 2/3/4/5/6 extra d6 damage when you could be winning fights in one spell? Pathfinder really didn't change the fact that hit point damage is the least efficient way to spend your actions.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
My level 15 Rogue deals a good 250+ damage minimum during a Full Round Attack (Short Sword of Subtlety +4 :whatup: ). Because if you're gonna do it, you better go All The Way.

Actually our group has started on Kingmaker, and we're doing an Evil Campaign. Already our Wizard has literally set a prisoner on fire then cut off the flaming bits then split him from skull to sternum, and we're barely past the first encounter. I feel he's got a very short career as a Mad King ahead of him.

Regardless, I've decided I wanted to try out an Oracle. We have no healer so I wanted to do straight healing with the Life Mystery. I've never played an Oracle before, however, and he's a True Neutral one at that - he is more of an observer of this train wreck. We're starting at level 1 with a 20 point buy. I figure I'll pick up Extra Revelations for my Feats and grab Delay Affliction and Channel, then Body of Light at level 3 and Life Link after that.

I haven't decided on spells though. Assuming I wanted to stay in the back and be a general annoyance/buffer, what are some good spells for an Oracle to know?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Regardless, I've decided I wanted to try out an Oracle. We have no healer so I wanted to do straight healing with the Life Mystery. I've never played an Oracle before, however, and he's a True Neutral one at that - he is more of an observer of this train wreck. We're starting at level 1 with a 20 point buy. I figure I'll pick up Extra Revelations for my Feats and grab Delay Affliction and Channel, then Body of Light at level 3 and Life Link after that.

I haven't decided on spells though. Assuming I wanted to stay in the back and be a general annoyance/buffer, what are some good spells for an Oracle to know?

Hmm, straight healing isn't a very good idea to spend Mysteries on(though granted, Channel Energy heals nicely at early levels). Channel is good, Combat Healer is good, Energy Body is a waste of actions(and feat/revelation slot), Enhanced Cures isn't useful(since by the time you get to the levels where your Cure Lights are hitting the level cap, you have so many low level slots you can just blow it all away), Healing Hands is wasted with the number of spells per day an Oracle has, Life Link is pretty ok, Lifesense is great, Safe Curing is um...variable(if you can tank it in melee, sure, else avoid running into melee to heal), Spirit Boost isn't too bad. The main issue, all the bonus spells are on your list anyway.
You already know all the Cures for free and its the Cleric list, so thats dealt with. But, remember if you want to stay in the back, you can't be a healer without Channel(and healing the enemies at the same time) or until you have Life Link/Mass Cures.
Battle has Combat Healer, and the revelations make you tough enough to wade into melee to heal, or break skulls as appropriate. Might not fit your conception of a healer though.
Heavens gives you Awesome Display, which is pretty fantastic for someone who's not actually wading in, especially with the spells that key off it. Razzle Dazzle Wheee. Guiding Star turns you into a night-time radar, doubly so if you have Low Light Vision/Darkvision. Not so hot for a dungeon crawl. Moonlight Bridge doubles as an improvised wall, Lure of the Heavens and Star Chart are just handy in general.
Nature gives you Bonded Mount(which is of course awesome),Friend to the Animals lets you Summon Nature's Ally for free, which lets you send in minion-type stuff without occupying your known slots. Nature's Whispers is also fantastic for defense, what with putting your best stat into AC.
Waves and Flames make decent blasters as well.

Which Curse do you have in mind? Haunted is one of the better ones, provided you don't rely on drawing scrolls/weapons much. Tongues is cool if you can talk your party into getting your cursed tongue as a known language.

Spell wise:
0th - Eh, same as any caster really. Light, Guidance and Detect Magic are cool with at will cantrips. Stabilize works at range to stop them from dying without wading into the hazards of melee.
1st - Bless(theres almost no fights where this would not help), Cause Fear(better against animals and stuff)/Command(better against humanoid foes), Obscuring Mist(very cool with Flame or Waves ability to see through fogs), And of course, if you have Awesome Display, Freezing Spells or Burning Magic you can trade Cause Fear/Command in for some other magic(since your Mystery covers offense already). Protection from <foo> is great and stays that way for quite a few levels.
2nd - Summon Monster(or Summon Nature's Ally if you have Nature), now lasts long enough to be pretty awesome in battle(if your party isn't so optimized the encounter ends before you finish summoning), Bull's Strength and Sound Burst are the usual spammable staples, especially the former. Lesser Restoration if you don't have the Life Mystery, because it shows up often enough.
3rd - Summoning is still cool here(especially if you managed to get Augment Summoning), Blindness is a fine attack spell and Magic Vestment just changed the whole party's budget(you can afford to enhance everyone's armor once you have more than a handful of 3rds per day). Magic Circle is fantastic if your DM likes to throw mindfuck.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Nothing to see here.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 22, 2011

Ghostalker
Jul 22, 2007
That Awesome Guy
I am of the firm belief that Life Oracles are the strongest healer pure support class in the game. Can't go wrong, though life form is pretty bad.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Indeed that it is, its just that focusing on healing as a primary function locks you out of a lot of the support-oracle type things you can get from the other mysteries.

Channel is without par for practical healing really.

Discordian Angel
Jul 29, 2006

Petitor lucis illum amat et fovet qui discordiam affert.
The guy in society play will never be more than 12th level, society stops there. So playing a non-caster really won't hurt all that much.

As far as oracle goes, yeah life can be a great healer, Esp with channeling. I actually ended up liking Energy body, but that might just be how the game ended up rolling. As far as spells go, especially for a more buffer type than Shield of Faith is an amazing first level spell, deflection bonus to AC. Bless, Divine favor, Command are other great ones. Magic Weapon for now and changing out later might be useful too.

I never really got the spell casters are so OP comparative from 3.5 and now PF. I guess mostly because the fighters I tend to play with tend to be the kind that can put over 200 damage out in a round of combat at those high level brackets. Though I do agree save or die (or god forbid save and die) spells are complete cheese.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, it's rather overblown(without doing things that would get books thrown to your head anyway), but in general its that for anything besides dealing crazy damage to a single target, theres a spell for that. Throw in the spells that're broken(old Polymorph, PF polymorph is saner, Planar Ally, future divining, rope trick to camp anywhere any time you want) from the start and you have it. Caster Supremacy.
On paper at least. In practice you don't do it because going all the way isn't fun.

The other side is that anyone who's not a caster is basically stuck with doing things like hitting targets for massive damage. They won't be crossing miles at a single leap, passing through the boundaries of this life and the next, etc. An athlete won't be better at getting to high places than a spellcaster who has teleportation or fly, a doctor will be inferior to even a low level cleric or a magic item, a spy will be hard pressed to compare to Scrying, etc. That the caster can only do this X/day doesn't matter a lot when the game is based on situations that occur X/day.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Ironically organized play tends to exacerbate the problem because the fact that there's a more standardized "formula" for how a module plays out means you can plan your resources around four encounters, and very likely you'll get a chance to rest at least once. So going nova doesn't have the same impact as an extended multi-session dungeon crawl like you get in a home campaign.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hell, there are players who'd throw a fit(well ok, sulk, mostly) if you push them beyond the recommended encounter frequency. Even before you hit the fourth encounter and even if some of the encounters are below CR(which you should throw more of to pressure them sufficiently).

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
On the subject of casters, Ultimate Magic has been out a little while. I'm working my way through it slowly. The Magus ended up looking like a very solid class and Paladins seem to have gotten a handful of very nice alternate abilities feats. Charisma casters in general strike me has having made out well.

Summoners seem to have gotten some options that tend towards being even more silly, though I think you could still manage them in a party.

Golem-building seems a lot more viable and detailed now, with a ton of awesome customization rules including the ability to make your golem 'wearable' as a suit of armor.

Haven't read all the new spells yet, or even gotten through every class, it's a thick book, but it seems like its laid out some nice options without being terrible about power creep.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Ultimate Magic is a really neat read.

The Magus strikes me as trying to make the old Elven Bladesinger from 2e DnD days a balanced and viable class - which I'm all for. Seems to also have taken a couple hints from... hexblades? The dudes that can channel spells through their swords. Not to mention some of the archetypes are pretty snazzy too. Black Blade in particular looks like it'd be fun.

A few of my fellow Pathfinder fans are also really impressed with how the Magus balances both melee and magic. I also like the new stuff for the Summoner, especially since I'm currently playing one. If I was going to guess any power creep for that... I'd probably pin it on the Extra Evolution feat that you can take once every five levels to get an additional evolution point for your Eidolon. It's not game-breaking, to be sure, but all those evolution points add up.

Discordian Angel
Jul 29, 2006

Petitor lucis illum amat et fovet qui discordiam affert.
Yeah I've been going through Ultimate Magic and liking it too, the detailed rules for making your own spells especially stuck my eye. I always hated doing that in the past because of arguments breaking out with some of my old play group, having a structure for it should help cut that back. Though the words of power looks like a really interesting system I can't wait to mess around with. Can't wait until the fighter one comes out in a few months.

Sorry I almost restarted the argument, I've been reading through the back thread and just.. amazed at how strongly people stand by the 'fighters are useless' point. I guess I've just been in either more balanced groups where everyone looked to fill their own role, or known to many min-max fighter players. I love playing support based casters over 'I do it all and then some chump' style, as well as being that fighter/rogue myself.

Is anyone thinking of starting a new PF online game? I'd be so down for that; haven't gotten one started up since I moved and really missing playing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The Synthesist Summoner has some potential to do lots of tricks, even as a dip, I think. Used straight it's a pretty cool tank. Double hp wahey.

Discordian Angel posted:

Yeah I've been going through Ultimate Magic and liking it too, the detailed rules for making your own spells especially stuck my eye. I always hated doing that in the past because of arguments breaking out with some of my old play group, having a structure for it should help cut that back.
Yeah, going to have to look at that in depth and see if they're any good.

quote:

Sorry I almost restarted the argument, I've been reading through the back thread and just.. amazed at how strongly people stand by the 'fighters are useless' point.
Hyperbole - Fighters are useless.
Hyperbole - Casters win the game
Reality - Fighters are useless at anything that doesn't involve Fighting in the 2-3 specific ways they specialize in. In the areas they specialize in they can kick serious butt. The problem is more of Mundanes Can't Have Nice Things.
Reality - Casters can do anything just about any other class would want to do. If it can be done they probably have a way for it. Individual casters are much much broader than individual Fighters.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
The Magus is cool and while it will obviously never compete with a full caster it does seem well-balanced with the other half-caster classes like Bard, Alchemist, and Inquisitor. At higher levels your still probably better just taking a few levels of Magus as a dip and then continuing with a Wizard/Eldritch Knight, but really if you're playing high level 3.X what the gently caress do you care about balance? I may roll one up if/when my Druid dies just because I've been feeling like an rear end in a top hat for being better than half of the rest of the part combined (seriously, we've got a loving Soulknife...)

veekie posted:

Reality - Fighters are useless at anything that doesn't involve Fighting in the 2-3 specific ways they specialize in. In the areas they specialize in they can kick serious butt. The problem is more of Mundanes Can't Have Nice Things.
Reality - Casters can do anything just about any other class would want to do. If it can be done they probably have a way for it. Individual casters are much much broader than individual Fighters.

Fighters are pretty good at what they do (deal damage and have lots of hp) it's just that what they do is one of the least valuable things to do. Without a reliable way to make enemies attack them, being tough isn't worth all that much (Bodyguard is a start, but not a finish), and dealing hp damage is pretty inefficient at least until you can regularly two-shot things and even then it's only around par.

It also really doesn't help that they're near-useless outside of combat. I would seriously give Fighters either 6 base skill points or let them use Wis instead of Int for skill points or something. (Honestly having skill points based off of Int is dumb as poo poo when Wis makes just as much, if not more sense!) Also merging skills into Athletics helps, why they merged Acrobatics but not Athletics just baffles me.

EDIT: And seriously, loving Bravery and that loving capstone are complete jokes.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 31, 2011

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

EDIT: And seriously, loving Bravery and that loving capstone are complete jokes.

That honestly is the thing that baffled me the most about Pathfinder, the fact that some of the only feedback they listened to during the beta was "man that level 20 fighter ability is a touch to strong, better make it worse than a level 5 paladin one."

Are there enough halfcasters yet to reliably fill most any archetype? I ask because half caster only games are actually some of my favorite 3.5 games, and I know PF has actually put out some neat new classes.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Red_Mage posted:

Are there enough halfcasters yet to reliably fill most any archetype? I ask because half caster only games are actually some of my favorite 3.5 games, and I know PF has actually put out some neat new classes.

Alchemist - got a player in one of my games doing it, so theres quite a lot of this explored.
Its a decent medic(post battle, forget combat healing) and party buffer with the Infusion discovery. If your whole party has that trait to drink as a move action(or maybe a custom beerhat), you can hand out some nice personal buffs. It's inferior with regards to the mass buffs(like Haste) since only one guy gets it.
And in a fight, you open up with bombs(the stink bomb is excellent for battlefield control AND does ok damage), and when you run out of bombs, Feral Mutagen + Enlarge Person/Buff of choice makes you an ok tank.
You can try a poison user, but that can be tricky to keep supplies up(I wouldn't mind an ACF that trades bombs for fast poisons I think).
Beyond the fighting end, it's more versatile than the wizard in some ways, since it can prepare an extract with 1 minute's work, so you can learn all kinds of useful poo poo and leave slots open to prepare in a pinch.
Roles covered
-Blaster, doubles as a battlefield controller with the discoveries to put out funky clouds.
-Healer, post battle only, but they can fix most ailments and leaving slots will do it ok.
-Pokemon master, the new archetype to prepare summon monsters, the bottled ooze and the Vomit Swarm(yuck) extract
-Buffer, Infusion + the buff potions you can hand out, better than the other caster types in some ways. Tank heavy party at the least will benefit heavily from having everyone holding an Enlarge Person potion. If you have time the 'gargle-spit' extract can be used to stretch potions that aren't already on their list.
-Tank, Mutagen, Feral Mutagen, the Ultimate Magic tentacle/extra arms stuff. You can fight as well as a normal tank if you nab a polearm and down a quick Enlarge Person with your mutagen. Or you can put lots of poison to use and basically poison things to death.
-Monkey, Int based caster, fairly broad skills, and the 'leave slot open' trick lets you cover a lot of utility stuff, but you'd still want a rogue for traps.

Summoner - Did some theorycrafting, but never really ran one. It's pretty tiring if you actually went with large mobs of minions.
Roles covered
-Battlefield control, it's not HOT at it, but it does have the Pit series and Black Hentacles.
-Pokemon master, it's more or less made for it.
-Buffer, its not as broadly versatile as the alchemist at this, but it does have some nice buffs available.
-Rider, hard to top a well built Eidolon for an ubermount
-Tank, the Synthesist is pretty incredible for this. It's a gold mine for theorycrafting
-Monkey, You can summon something to do whatever you need. Heck, for some traps as long as somebody can detect them, you just throw a minion at it.

Bard - Business as usual as per 3.5
Roles covered
-Some of everything, but it's a Superior Monkey, with the way bard performance adapts to skills. Not much of a blaster though.

Hadn't fielded or theorycrafted with the rest, so I'll leave that to someone who messed with them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Inquisitor is a solid Religion half-caster, so really the only big half-caster niche not quite filled is Nature (Rangers really don't much count, being like, 1/3 to 1/4 casters).

Summoners are in kind of a weird place because their Eidolon is better than noncaster characters but their casting is not as good as the other half-casters. In a half-caster-only group, I'd say they fill the 'fighter' role.

One thing I have noticed is that, at lower levels, the Cleric spell list doesn't completely invalidate melee classes in the same way that the Wizard/Sorcerer list does, so maybe, maybe Oracles might be okay too, but only in an exclusively low-level game.

If I were designing a 3.X clone like Pathfinder, I would definitely make Druids a half-caster class. I think that, with that alteration, you could almost run a somewhat-decent half-caster-only PF game (as long as you accept that nobody can play a non-caster or a full-caster, of course).