Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
What's a fast, quick and above all fast way to get all the text off a website (all the pages) that doesn't involve laboriously copying and pasting from every textbox?

The illicit thrill of Backstreet Browser has been suggested but I couldn't make head nor tail of it once I had downloaded it. It was all like This does not work! whenever I put the url in.

I was probably doing it wrong tbf as I'm not great with computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

"Zegnar" posted:

Either they aren't stable, three ways:

1) Magnetic attraction from above with a electronically controlled cut out when it gets too close

2) Magnetic repulsion from below constantly adjusted by algorithm

3) The object only levitates while it spins

or stable but 4) They are resting against another object in one axis (can be above)

or 5) I've never seen this but a very high frequency electromagnetic field could work

12&5 require constant electric power, 3 only lasts a minute or so, and 4 isn't too impressive to look at
The item I linked meets none of those items in your list, and is "stable" in that it will hover unless disturbed without power, spinning, or touching anything.

I agree with your original reply in that making something out of buckyballs that hovers would be impossible, but your more sweeping "not possible ever" claim is demonstrably wrong.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

randyest posted:

The item I linked meets none of those items in your list, and is "stable" in that it will hover unless disturbed without power, spinning, or touching anything.

I agree with your original reply in that making something out of buckyballs that hovers would be impossible, but your more sweeping "not possible ever" claim is demonstrably wrong.

It does say requires AC adaptor, so I'm thinking it's probably (1).

I checked out Google and you could try Bismuth as a diamagnetic material but it looks super fiddly.

empiricus
Apr 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Would the cops get involved in an internet money scenario?

I sold something for $500 on alertpay a couple months ago and the guy just disputed it, so now I have a -$475 account balance. He marked the payment for purchase of goods, so I'm good on that end.

Normally I wouldn't worry, but I looked over the Alertpay TOS and it says that if you have a negative balance, you're expected to even up and if you don't, alertpay will..

quote:

. If you do not, we reserve the right to recover the funds by any means necessary, including the involvement of a collections or law enforcement agency.

would the cops/collections agency really get involved in something like this, or is it just something that they say?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Is it real money? Maybe not the cops, but they will more than likely send you to collections.

empiricus
Apr 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh

2508084 posted:

Is it real money? Maybe not the cops, but they will more than likely send you to collections.

Money he transferred into his AlertPay account, then sent to my AlertPay account. It never touched my bank account, though

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

empiricus posted:

Money he transferred into his AlertPay account, then sent to my AlertPay account. It never touched my bank account, though

If the money never left the alertpay account, shouldn't you be at $0?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
EDIT:- Never mind, taking this to the finances forum!

Space Flyman
May 21, 2007

BATMAN HE WILL CATCH ALL BADDY!
Can anybody tell me how to tell whether a CD/DVD has been resurfaced in a professional machine? I collect older PC games but like to have hard copies in pristine condition, which usually means tracking down new/sealed copies.

I recently received a game which has CDs with a slight reflective pattern around the bottom side of the discs - generally from about the middle outwards. This is only really visible under strong light and to my eyes looks to be some kind of patterning within the disc rather than on the surface (doesn't look like scratches, rather a kind of prismatic pattern when the light hits the surface of the disc).

I have seen CDs before with various kinds of odd patterns in the reflective side of the disc, so I'm guessing it could just be that. However, having no experience with professional resurfacing machines I wanted to know of any telltale signs to look for. I did once have a music CD which had obviously been resurfaced and re-sealed as there were thousands of extremely tiny scratches going around the disc, as well as small fibers on the surface obviously left over from some sort of buffing cloth.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zegnar posted:

It does say requires AC adaptor, so I'm thinking it's probably (1).

An old Popular Electronics where you can build your own globe levitator. It's definitely 1. There's a IR sensor pointing down at the globe that is polled to keep the globe within a sweet spot, and an electromagnet is pulsed on and off to adjust field strength.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Econosaurus posted:

I have a PDF that was saved with 2 pages per page. If that doesn't make sense, it's horizontal with two pages next to each other. Is there a program or way to automatically split all the pages and put them in order so it's one page of the document per pdf page?

That's probably just a viewing option. On If you're using Adobe Reader, you can change it as follows: View > Page Display > Single Page View.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Harvey Wine Time posted:

What's a fast, quick and above all fast way to get all the text off a website (all the pages) that doesn't involve laboriously copying and pasting from every textbox?

The illicit thrill of Backstreet Browser has been suggested but I couldn't make head nor tail of it once I had downloaded it. It was all like This does not work! whenever I put the url in.

I was probably doing it wrong tbf as I'm not great with computers.

wget

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
Wget looks promising, thanks Underflow, you're the bomb/s. But where should I download it from? I have a Windows XP work laptop.

fake edit: On closer examination Wget is a little how can I put this advanced for me, are there any other programs with simpler interfaces where I can just whack in a url and it will just throw the pages into subfolders?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Harvey Wine Time posted:

Wget looks promising, thanks Underflow, you're the bomb/s. But where should I download it from? I have a Windows XP work laptop.

fake edit: On closer examination Wget is a little how can I put this advanced for me, are there any other programs with simpler interfaces where I can just whack in a url and it will just throw the pages into subfolders?

Never used it under Windows, but it looks like there's a regular Setup package for it here. It'll probably come with docs/examples, but the Wikipedia page has the kind of examples for what you need listed as well. It's a breeze to use, really.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Is there a way to Google information posted on or before a particular date? I'm not necessarily looking for news articles exclusively, so maybe a way to query by chaced date if there isn't an official posted date on the pages?

For example, I just watched the Fortune review of the 3DS (linked in the games forum) from March and wondered what information, official or otherwise, was available to a reviewer (other than the hardware) before they made the review. I could see it as a useful function.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

gwar3k1 posted:

Is there a way to Google information posted on or before a particular date? I'm not necessarily looking for news articles exclusively, so maybe a way to query by chaced date if there isn't an official posted date on the pages?

For example, I just watched the Fortune review of the 3DS (linked in the games forum) from March and wondered what information, official or otherwise, was available to a reviewer (other than the hardware) before they made the review. I could see it as a useful function.

This is hardly what you're looking for, but Google A Day supplies an image of Google (called "Deja Google") from April 5. I think they intend to someday release that as a standalone product.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

My grandfather served in the Canadian army during world war 2, but details from that side of the family (including my grandmother) are kinda sketchy on where and when he fought. Is there any way I might be able to look up and find this sort of info?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Golbez posted:

This is hardly what you're looking for, but Google A Day supplies an image of Google (called "Deja Google") from April 5. I think they intend to someday release that as a standalone product.

Awesome, thanks for the link. It looks like a fun way to teach search habbits to get more relevant results.

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet
Underflow if you're still there, I went ahead and downloaded from that link, nothing but a load of pdfs that breezily presumed all sorts of arcane knowledge on my part.

quote:

wget [option]... [URL]...

quote:

Basic usage
Typical usage of GNU Wget consists of invoking it from the command line, providing one or more URLs as arguments.
# Download the title page of example.com to a file
# named "index.html".
wget http://www.example.com

I mean I don't even know what a command line is. Is...is it MS Prompt? I really can't stress enough how little I know about this stuff.

Think of how you would teach a dog to put a Lego space station together.

Thanks for your patience and hope to hear from you soon!

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The Aberrant posted:

My grandfather served in the Canadian army during world war 2, but details from that side of the family (including my grandmother) are kinda sketchy on where and when he fought. Is there any way I might be able to look up and find this sort of info?

US goon here, I know that in the US you can request this info from the government. As far as I can tell this site may be what you're looking for:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Harvey Wine Time posted:

Underflow if you're still there, I went ahead and downloaded from that link, nothing but a load of pdfs that breezily presumed all sorts of arcane knowledge on my part.

I mean I don't even know what a command line is. Is...is it MS Prompt? I really can't stress enough how little I know about this stuff.

Think of how you would teach a dog to put a Lego space station together.

Thanks for your patience and hope to hear from you soon!

Download the binaries to your desktop:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pr...ror=superb-sea2

Extract the zip file to a folder called wget on your desktop.

Click start then type in "cmd" (without quotes) you will see a "command prompt" menu item, click on that.

In the Command prompt window type in this (no quotes):

"cd %HOMEPATH%\Desktop\wget\bin"

Then (change "awebsite" of course):

"wget -r -Nc -mk http://www.awebsite.com/"

Then go into the wget\bin folder on your desktop and "awebsite" will be downloaded there.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Barnum posted:

US goon here, I know that in the US you can request this info from the government. As far as I can tell this site may be what you're looking for:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

Thanks for this! :hfive:

Harvey Wine Time
May 15, 2011

by angerbeet

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Technical support

This sounds promising CEB, will give it a bash tomorrow. In the meantime, perhaps you'd like to turn your hand to an intimate medical problem of mine http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412345

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

gwar3k1 posted:

This is built into Google by default. Do your search as normal, then on the left-hand side of the page, Any Time is selected by default, but you can click on "Custom Ranger..." to search for information published during any given time frame.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I would like to start a thread discussing how to structure an academic, historical study of video games. I'm just looking for a few ideas and have already read from some other sources to get some ideas. Should this go in the Games section or the D&D subforum?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Games section, since D&D only deals with a specific subset of pen/paper games... while it's true that a ton of games have their roots in D&D, you don't want to be discussing only D&D.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Thanks for the response panda, but I meant the Debate and Discussion subforum "Science, Academics and Philosophy." I have been using Dungeons and Dragons as a reference point when trying to explain games to people who know that, but not video games. To be fair, I've only ever had to use that analogy twice.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Oops.

If you want it to be academic, Debate/Discussion sounds good to me.

D&D is hugely crucial to the evolution of RPGs in my opinion... but I guess I'm a bit biased, coming from a MUD background.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

If you want it to be academic, Debate/Discussion sounds good to me.

D&D is hugely crucial to the evolution of RPGs in my opinion... but I guess I'm a bit biased, coming from a MUD background.
This post confuses me. Are you thinking of the Traditional Games sub-forum of Games? I think that's where you'd find most "D&D" (Dungeons and Dragons) talk, but doesn't seem like it'd be good for his purpose because not all video games are RPG/MUD/D&D inspired.

JDanielS posted:

I would like to start a thread discussing how to structure an academic, historical study of video games. I'm just looking for a few ideas and have already read from some other sources to get some ideas. Should this go in the Games section or the D&D subforum?

I bet Games (or maybe even wikipedia) would be better if you're looking for how to initially break down / categorize video games for a comprehensive study. At least as a starting point. Maybe PM one of the Games mods (AxeManiac, Zoolooman, Louisgod, Zorak) and see what they think?

D&D (Debate and Discussion, not Dungeons and Dragons) might also be useful, but maybe later on, when you've got some more-specific issues to hash out?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

randyest posted:

This post confuses me. Are you thinking of the Traditional Games sub-forum of Games? I think that's where you'd find most "D&D" (Dungeons and Dragons) talk, but doesn't seem like it'd be good for his purpose because not all video games are RPG/MUD/D&D inspired.

I've never been in the games forum because I don't really care about games. I just say D&D and assumed from context that he meant Dungeons and Dragons.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

randyest posted:

I bet Games (or maybe even wikipedia) would be better if you're looking for how to initially break down / categorize video games for a comprehensive study. At least as a starting point. Maybe PM one of the Games mods (AxeManiac, Zoolooman, Louisgod, Zorak) and see what they think?

Yeah, that is one of the things I want to address. I have some others too, but I guess I'll just float them by the mods and see what they have to say.

Thanks.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

I've never been in the games forum because I don't really care about games. I just say D&D and assumed from context that he meant Dungeons and Dragons.

JDanielS posted:

Should this go in the Games section or the D&D subforum?
The "D&D" forum on SomethingAwful is "Debate and Discussion" not "Dungeons and Dragons." The closest thing to a "Dungeons and Dragons" (sub-)forum on SA is Traditional Games. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
There's a line from a movie(? show?) and I can't remember the movie or the entirety/exactness of the line. It's something like:

"What causes this...fire in your belly? Is it cause you haven't got a man?"

Or something to that effect. I -think- the movie involved sword fighting. And it wasn't "Working Girl" which was the movie that popped up when I tried Google.

Anyone know?

edit: More info.

I think it was the villain saying it to the heroine. I'm pretty sure they were dressed fantasy-style or renaissance or period or something. I think the movie might have been pretty terrible...

Ramaroot fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 17, 2011

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Ramaroot posted:

There's a line from a movie(? show?) and I can't remember the movie or the entirety/exactness of the line. It's something like:

"What causes this...fire in your belly? Is it cause you haven't got a man?"

Or something to that effect. I -think- the movie involved sword fighting. And it wasn't "Working Girl" which was the movie that popped up when I tried Google.

Anyone know?

edit: More info.

I think it was the villain saying it to the heroine. I'm pretty sure they were dressed fantasy-style or renaissance or period or something. I think the movie might have been pretty terrible...

Is this it by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4gO4Gy_i-I#t=07m40s

It's from the 2006 BBC Series 'Robin Hood'. It seems to match the renaissance-style, swordfighting, villian talking to woman, and fire in the belly.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

JDanielS posted:

If you want advice on how to make it a good historical study, then I'd go to SAP.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Gravity Pike posted:

This is built into Google by default. Do your search as normal, then on the left-hand side of the page, Any Time is selected by default, but you can click on "Custom Ranger..." to search for information published during any given time frame.

Thanks for pointing that out, exactly what I was after.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
I own a condo and my bathroom basin sink, when the hot water is turned on, causes the pipes in my unit and the adjacent units to vibrate pretty violently. To fix the problem the superintendent for the building brought in a plumber to see if he could fix the problem: however, the plumber declared the problem to be with the faucet in my unit and not the pipes in the walls. He spent at most 10 minutes in my place and did no work. If the problem were the within the walls it would be the condo corporation's responsibility to deal with it, anything inside the unit is mine.

This was April 12, I got an invoice yesterday asking for $70 payment due on the 12th of May.

Is this normal? Do I pay this? I have contact info for the property manager and was thinking of giving him a call.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

SqueePower posted:

I own a condo and my bathroom basin sink, when the hot water is turned on, causes the pipes in my unit and the adjacent units to vibrate pretty violently. To fix the problem the superintendent for the building brought in a plumber to see if he could fix the problem: however, the plumber declared the problem to be with the faucet in my unit and not the pipes in the walls. He spent at most 10 minutes in my place and did no work. If the problem were the within the walls it would be the condo corporation's responsibility to deal with it, anything inside the unit is mine.

This was April 12, I got an invoice yesterday asking for $70 payment due on the 12th of May.

Is this normal? Do I pay this? I have contact info for the property manager and was thinking of giving him a call.

Call your property manager. Chances are they got sent a bill too.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I'm not a plumber, but your problem sounds like you need an antiknock air chamber device. Can you get a second opinion?

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

How are font licenses enforced? If a company buys a license for 1 person, how do they stop that company from just putting it on everyone's computers?

Also, how does the license work?

I was thinking of purchasing Azuro Office (specifically the italic version) to put on my hacked Kindle, but can I put it on my wife's as well? Would she be a "user" in this case (no editing) or a "customer" (covered by my license)? Can I make a banner out of the font (an image, not a woff file) for my blog no one reads?

I understand the basics of the moral reasoning (people should be paid for their work and art) but I do not understand the logistics. I can buy an mp3 once for me and my wife and play it at parties without having to pay another "license" fee, but I couldn't play it on a podcast (I think?).