Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just out of curiosity, how much do Judo tournaments generally cost?

Bjj tournaments are so expensive, I want to compete more, but I find it difficult to justify spending 50-70 dollars on basically zero return, outside a T-shirt ribbon and maybe a piece of scrap aluminium. Plus: the annoyance of weight cutting and the pain of spending most of a Saturday sitting around some cold amphitheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Bjj tournaments are so expensive, I want to compete more, but I find it difficult to justify spending 50-70 dollars on basically zero return, outside a T-shirt ribbon and maybe a piece of scrap aluminium. Plus: the annoyance of weight cutting and the pain of spending most of a Saturday sitting around some cold amphitheater.

$25-50 for the small ones I go to. Normally only like 10-12 people compete.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

In the US:
Local tournaments tend to be around $20-$30
Regional tournaments tend to be around $50
National Tournaments tend to be $80-$100

We always get BJJ guys to come to Judo tournaments by pointing out that the cost of registering for USA Judo for a year plus the entry fee is still cheaper than any BJJ tourney. And after that first tournament it's even cheaper.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
well poo poo that is way more reasonable. Also I wish there more tournaments, but with fewer entries per event. It's just such a clusterfuck to have 40 brackets, some 30 guys deep and everyone running around to 6 different mats at a time. I love that the sport is getting bigger, but I would prefer to pay like 20 bucks, show up, do like 2 or 3 matches and then leave within 2-3 hours.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Health Question: started showing athletes foot about 3 weeks ago, immedietly started treating with OTC medication. (Clotrimazole* generic CVS brand). Right now my feet look/feel much better, just some peely skin. I've been busy/out of the country so I haven't even had the chance to practice Judo, but once I get back next week, should i g2g? What sign should i look for.

EDIT: Brain Fart/Tired post.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 18, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Cortizone generic CVS brand

Cortizone is a steroid that helps with the itching, not an anti-fungal medication. So you should start by getting an anti-fungal to actually treat the athlete's foot rather than the symptom.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

piss on your feet. No really, It's suppose to clear up mild cases of athlete's foot.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Roger is confirmed for the -99kg division.

Also,

quote:

No sooner has it been announced than it is in jeopardy - the long-awaited rematch between Royler Gracie and Eddie Bravo is already on the rocks.

It was reported last week that the two had agreed to meet at this year’s ADCC grappling championship finals in a re-run of their 2003 match which ended with the underdog Bravo submitting Gracie with a triangle.

“Five days after accepting rematch Royler now asking for [$50,000] just to show up,” Bravo wrote on his 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu website earlier.

“I just got off the phone with vice president of ADCC Guy Nievens and he told me that Royler just called him and is now asking for 50k just to show up plus the 25k win bonus. I have no idea why he's now asking for all that cash up front all of a sudden, 5 days after agreeing to the rematch and after doing interviews for Atame and Gracie Mag saying that “Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice.

“ADCC is refusing to pay the 50k show money. So my business manager is gonna set up a Royler relief paypal account asap. If 5,000 people donate just $10 the rematch is on.”

With no chance of the ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) paying the money, the match seems currently up in the air. Royler’s previously agreed purse is unknown but the ADCC pays well and will likely have offered a good sum for a rematch that fans around the world have wanted to see for years.

More news as we get it.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
roger gracie continues to duck ricardo arona

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gracies are such frauds

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
conversely, no one can ever accuse arona of ducking.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
is roger known for pulling all the classic gracie bullshit? or is he considered "one of the good ones?"

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

is roger known for pulling all the classic gracie bullshit? or is he considered "one of the good ones?"

As far as I know all of Rogers MMA fights have been under whatever rules the promotion he's fighting for usually uses.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

Roger has spent the last years fighting and beating anyone and everyone in grappling, and he's accepted every fight offered him in mma.

Please note also that Renzo isn't demanding more money to fight Sperry despite a fifty pound weight advantage.

There's a big difference between the Renzo side of the family and the Royce/Royler/Rickson Gracie Humaitá branch.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
fatherdog i'm calling you out. but there can't be any rules or judges or time limits and nobody can watch or record the fight. and it has to take place at my house in a room that you are not allowed to see beforehand. in due course i will publish a narrative of how the fight went down and my narrative may not be questioned. i am willing to do this for one million dollars. i really hope you'll be a man about this and step up to my challenge.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
God damnit, Royler. Not cool. :( I want this rematch to happen.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Marcelo Garcia is also confirmed for 77kg, what are the odds of him NOT winning it?
And what are the odds of the absolute finals not being Roger/Marcelo...

The line up this year is awesome. Im so glad I can appreciate high level man hugging.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

Marcelo Garcia is also confirmed for 77kg, what are the odds of him NOT winning it?

Pretty low, I would imagine

quote:

And what are the odds of the absolute finals not being Roger/Marcelo...

Depends on the brackets, and also if Jacare or Drysdale will be in them.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

whats the word on braulio as far as if he's competing this time?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

whats the word on braulio as far as if he's competing this time?

He won the Absolute last time so in theory he should be in a superfight with the winner of last year's superfight, which was Jacare. Whether that's actually happening with Jacare's (presumable) mma commitments I've no idea.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Braulio's coming off neck surgery and just started training hard again so I don't know if he's confirmed to fight yet.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

fatherdog posted:

He won the Absolute last time so in theory he should be in a superfight with the winner of last year's superfight, which was Jacare. Whether that's actually happening with Jacare's (presumable) mma commitments I've no idea.

How do the superfights work? If they fight in the superfight, are they also a part of the regular bracket and thus eligible for the absolute brackets?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

How do the superfights work? If they fight in the superfight, are they also a part of the regular bracket and thus eligible for the absolute brackets?

The two guys fighting in the superfight aren't part of the regular or absolute brackets, they just do the superfight. Or at least that's the way it's always been in the past.

The winner of last event's superfight vs the winner of last event's absolute (although there's frequently cancellations, they usually try to get a previous year's absolute or superfight winner to replace.)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I have zero inside knowledge but I believe jacare is doing MMA full time now and some goon who trains at Drysdale gym made it sound like he's not really interested in competition these days.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This is probably a bit dumb but I'll ask anyway. I'll probably be competing in Judo for the first time in a few weeks so I've been watching and reading a lot of stuff online and I thought of a tactic that I wanted to get an opinion on. When I compete, could I fake a few seio nages, and then maybe do a drop seoi, and turtle up and get stood up and then try another seio so the guy thinks thats the only move I've got and that I'm only going to move one way and then do a left handed Osoto gari? Is that a good tactic or is it just stupid? This is my first attempt at stringing any sort of strategy together so don't be too brutal on me.

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010

Nierbo posted:

This is probably a bit dumb but I'll ask anyway. I'll probably be competing in Judo for the first time in a few weeks so I've been watching and reading a lot of stuff online and I thought of a tactic that I wanted to get an opinion on. When I compete, could I fake a few seio nages, and then maybe do a drop seoi, and turtle up and get stood up and then try another seio so the guy thinks thats the only move I've got and that I'm only going to move one way and then do a left handed Osoto gari? Is that a good tactic or is it just stupid? This is my first attempt at stringing any sort of strategy together so don't be too brutal on me.

i do not believe the fake seoi to turtle is going to impress a referee and he might say a mean thing to you and that mean thing will be "shido"

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
Work for a combo move like osoto-gari into sasae tsurikomi ashi or kouchi gari into ouchi gari or kouchi gari into a hip throw/hari goshi/tai otoshi you get the idea.

Avoid turtling as a tactic because if your opponent has even slightly good ground work you could end up in a choke before you even get to the ground, also you cant attack from turtle unless your opponent is dumb and gives you their elbow. And judo judges are unpredictable in small comps and might give your opponent time to break your turtle if he is aggressive enough.

Two things I learned from my first judo match:
1 - be light on your feet or you you won't maintain your balance
2 - be prepared for some serious grip fighting - you cant just walk up and take a sleeve and lapel grip, you WILL have to fight for grips, I was naive becaue this was what we always did in randori and got manhandled like a bitch in my first match.

Edit: if you do want to go for the fake right, fake right, go left tactic use soto makikomi as your left handed throw

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Braulio's coming off neck surgery and just started training hard again so I don't know if he's confirmed to fight yet.

His brother just told graciemag that Braulio's pulling out of the 2011 Worlds to "save himself for ADCC" so it looks like we'll see him in the superfight. No word on Jacare yet.

Also Popovitch just confirmed on twitter that he's going to be in the 88kg division this year, which pretty much everyone was expecting with the new weigh-in rules.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Nierbo posted:

Never feint, always commit fully, then follow up if necessary. Forget your gameplan and just do what feels comfortable at the time. My first tournament match I just went into an adrenaline blackout and woke up on top of my opponent with side control and the ref yelling 'ippon!,' only to be told later that I had performed a perfect koshi guruma for the first time ever. My second tournament I took 2nd by hitting every opponent (8 in a row) with tani otoshi, my tokui waza. My third tournament I fought left handed and did lots of gripwork and sweep/reap chains.

You aren't going to be fighting people who will effectively analyze your strategy and counter at this point- they'll just react on instinct and the success of your throws will rely on the precision of your technique. Just focus on your breathing and you'll do fine.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Any place near central new jersey (Princeton) to roll no-gi? I'm out here for the next few weeks but would like to keep active.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
go to the princeton IT department and start spitting on dudes until a guy who smells like anime grabs you.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Xande pulling out of Worlds.

It always sucks when one of the top guys misses Worlds, but his new division is so stacked these days(Rodolfo Vieria, Faria, Lovato etc) that it's not the end of the world.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nifft posted:

Any place near central new jersey (Princeton) to roll no-gi? I'm out here for the next few weeks but would like to keep active.

If I don't know the place, I usually just go on google maps and start searching for every variation of jujitsu I know. Something usually pops up.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
So my finances are starting to get a bit tight and I won't be able to attend the kickboxing gym i've been going to for the past year since moving to the state :(. I come from a six year BJJ background and I really prefer grappling to being punched, and we have a pretty nice local Judo club that seems to both be cheap and ran by our state USJF guy here in Fayetteville.

Would Judo be right for me? Also, would any of my habits and learned techniques from BJJ hinder me, and is there anything I should try and be mindful of in that regard?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KryonikMessiah posted:

So my finances are starting to get a bit tight and I won't be able to attend the kickboxing gym i've been going to for the past year since moving to the state :(. I come from a six year BJJ background and I really prefer grappling to being punched, and we have a pretty nice local Judo club that seems to both be cheap and ran by our state USJF guy here in Fayetteville.

Would Judo be right for me? Also, would any of my habits and learned techniques from BJJ hinder me, and is there anything I should try and be mindful of in that regard?

This is a very good question, and I think you'd be better served if you also ask the question in the A/T martial arts thread. There are a lot of very good judo guys there!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&pagenumber=7

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Sweet. Thanks man!

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Hi guys.

Anyone planning to go to ADCC in Nottingham, UK in September?

The only info on tickets I can find is http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131641353574376 from a company called Masaru Fight Co. but I have no idea what the prices range from and which matches are taking place when.

In case I can't make both days, any idea which day the Bravo/Gracie match is taking place?

EazyBreezy
Jul 9, 2009

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Never feint, always commit fully, then follow up if necessary. Forget your gameplan and just do what feels comfortable at the time. My first tournament match I just went into an adrenaline blackout and woke up on top of my opponent with side control and the ref yelling 'ippon!,' only to be told later that I had performed a perfect koshi guruma for the first time ever. My second tournament I took 2nd by hitting every opponent (8 in a row) with tani otoshi, my tokui waza. My third tournament I fought left handed and did lots of gripwork and sweep/reap chains.

You aren't going to be fighting people who will effectively analyze your strategy and counter at this point- they'll just react on instinct and the success of your throws will rely on the precision of your technique. Just focus on your breathing and you'll do fine.

God, that last part of your post is so true for lower level grappling tournies, at least in my experience (BJJ and Judo). I remember going out with some crazy gameplan in mind and it going out the window like 15 seconds into the match. You always overthink yourself at first IMO

widunder
May 2, 2002

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Hi guys.

Anyone planning to go to ADCC in Nottingham, UK in September?

The only info on tickets I can find is http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131641353574376 from a company called Masaru Fight Co. but I have no idea what the prices range from and which matches are taking place when.

In case I can't make both days, any idea which day the Bravo/Gracie match is taking place?
I might be.

Don't bet on there being a Royler/Bravo match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thankyou everyone. You guys are the loving best.