Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WoG posted:

This sounds sketchy as hell, but I'd be psyched to see it. "support for sprint and t-mobile" is an odd way to phrase that, considering they'd have to be different models, but this isn't vetted language. Not having 4g on a flagship device doesn't sound like apple or sprint, but then again, calling it the 4s instead of 5 would be the way to do that, and sprint would probably take anything apple gives them.

Samsung 'Within'? That may literally be the worst product name I've ever heard.

It was until I read the words Verizon "Function". That takes the cake. They can call it whatever they want as long as they don't change the look and form of the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

nate fisher posted:

It was until I read the words Verizon "Function". That takes the cake. They can call it whatever they want as long as they don't change the look and form of the phone.

If they market it as 'Galaxy Within', it's interesting and parses as language, but it's still bizarre for a product. 'Galaxy Function', though....

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

WoG posted:

Samsung 'Within'? That may literally be the worst product name I've ever heard.
That sounds like something Samsung would do though... and they've already filed for trademarks on the names so I bet those are the ones.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Stupid question, but if I have the ye olde SERO plan, how do I order a new phone/upgrade to a 4G phone with the least amount of service disruption. Go through the sprint.com store?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Looks like we will soon know if the EVO 3D has a locked/signed/whatever bootloader: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/16/htc-evo-3d-system-dump-leaked-get-it-while-its-hot/

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

Ok, so I finally signed up for Google Voice, and used my same sprint number, and the voicemail etc is great, but I dont have the text button? Man, one of the main reasons I wanted to get Google Voice was for the convenience of texting from my computer. Does anyone else have this problem? According to the Google matrix I read, since I have Sprint, I should be able to use my number and get texts, but nope

Can you get a screen shot? Also, it may work to remove your sprint number, and do it all over again. A friend of mine had to do that 3 times to finally get everything to work right.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Eunabomber posted:

Stupid question, but if I have the ye olde SERO plan, how do I order a new phone/upgrade to a 4G phone with the least amount of service disruption. Go through the sprint.com store?

Call the SERO phone number in the OP and say you want to upgrade your service to the 4g SERO plan, then they will happily transfer you to phone sales which will handle everything else you need (and if you are lucky like me, waive all fees)

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Mistikman posted:

Call the SERO phone number in the OP and say you want to upgrade your service to the 4g SERO plan, then they will happily transfer you to phone sales which will handle everything else you need (and if you are lucky like me, waive all fees)

Thanks!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Alman posted:

the iPhone 4S
Does the S stand for "Suckers"?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

quote:

4S may sound like only a minor upgrade or refresh from the iPhone4, possibly just another A4 core with world phone CDMA/GSM capabilities. But 3G > 3Gs saw more memory and a CortexA9. Why wouldn't they keep the same case and 3.5" IPS screen and the dual-core A5 from the iPad2? Saves the 4G/5 name for the major redesign with 4"+ screen and mature 4G LTE?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

The iPhone 4, Precious Roy Edition.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

brc64 posted:

It stands for SPECIAL! :downs:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

The major plus would be people NOT asking me when Sprint is going to get the iPhone. Or do I have cases for the iPhone. drat do I hate those questions now.

Otherwise cool for those people who will only buy Apple, but it isn't exactly offering anything new over Android phones.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

The major plus would be people NOT asking me when Sprint is going to get the iPhone. Or do I have cases for the iPhone. drat do I hate those questions now.

Otherwise cool for those people who will only buy Apple, but it isn't exactly offering anything new over Android phones.

I think I'd like it as an option to consider. I've invested in iOS already with my iPod Touch, and the main reason up until now that I personally haven't considered the iPhone has more to do with carrier choices than the phone or OS themselves.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sirbeefalot posted:

I think I'd like it as an option to consider. I've invested in iOS already with my iPod Touch, and the main reason up until now that I personally haven't considered the iPhone has more to do with carrier choices than the phone or OS themselves.

Me too and Apple fanboys are intolerable was my other reason.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So when you order a phone from Sprint, it takes ~4 business days to get it. :wtf:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I wonder what kind of crazy plan change would be required to get an iPhone on Sprint.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Well reading the thread on XDA about the leaked Evo 3D rom, and they say that the boot loader is locked but not encrypted which means good things for rooting from what I understand.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Well reading the thread on XDA about the leaked Evo 3D rom, and they say that the boot loader is locked but not encrypted which means good things for rooting from what I understand.

This right here is very good news. If it's true it pretty much locked in my choice of the EVO 3D over the Nexus S.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Thread in question. Towards the end they are talking about some of the stuff they've found in the leaked Rom. Be prepared to wade through poo poo.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1081921

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Radio Shack begins EVO 3D pre-orders today:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/htc-evo-3d-pre-orders-begin-today-at-radioshack-but-launch-date/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Honestly the only thing I want to know about the 3D is how bad the battery life is gonna be (I'm guessing terrible but since it's 1730 mah instead of 1500 you never know)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

Honestly the only thing I want to know about the 3D is how bad the battery life is gonna be (I'm guessing terrible but since it's 1730 mah instead of 1500 you never know)

Some say it will be better due to the way it will use the dual processor. That said given the history of EVO the guess it is not going to be good. Not a phone for someone who doesn't work in a office or can use a charger during the day.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Ok, so my hero is flat out taking a huge turdy poo poo today. And frankly, I'm sick of it. I've been waiting for the 3D to come out, and I know that no one is aware of the official release date, but if I buy a regular EVO and return it within 30 days, I get a refund if the 3D comes out in that time, correct? So the only risk I am taking is if the 3D does not come out in the next 30 days? Giving me until June 17th?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Wonderllama posted:

Ok, so my hero is flat out taking a huge turdy poo poo today. And frankly, I'm sick of it. I've been waiting for the 3D to come out, and I know that no one is aware of the official release date, but if I buy a regular EVO and return it within 30 days, I get a refund if the 3D comes out in that time, correct? So the only risk I am taking is if the 3D does not come out in the next 30 days? Giving me until June 17th?

Pretty much. You have to pay a restocking fee from what I've read here but that's it. Do you have it unlocked? I'd wait another week or so if possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

Pretty much. You have to pay a restocking fee from what I've read here but that's it. Do you have it unlocked? I'd wait another week or so if possible.

The potential Restock fee is $35, corporate has to charge it (I think), 3rd party it depends on which one you go through, and when I worked at Best Buy they usually waived it.

30 day guarantee starts date of purchase, so if you bought it today day 30 would be June 15th, not the 17th. 31 day month and date of purchase included changes that, so just be careful.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

Wonderllama posted:

I have a hero too, I think you should just stay strong and wait for the 3d

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Deadpan Science posted:

I have a hero too, I think you should just stay strong and wait for the 3d

Yeah but it's uhhh....not working at all at the moment. Anyone wanna sell me a phone?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Wonderllama posted:

Yeah but it's uhhh....not working at all at the moment. Anyone wanna sell me a phone?

Use craigslist or ebay for some lovely phone like a Centro.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If your Hero is broken why do you want to get another phone from HTC?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

CharlesM posted:

If your Hero is broken why do you want to get another phone from HTC?

If my Integra was broken it wouldn't stop me from getting another car from Acura... :confused:

I mean, I get why people give up on Samsung when the same model breaks 16 times but HTC makes pretty solid phones, it's just that the Hero is old and decrepit when compared to current Android phones.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess, I just want to know what people think about this. I got an HTC Titan as was recommended a long time ago but it was limited by the low RAM, then a HTC Touch Pro replacement as it was deemed superior to the Titan, but have had a lot of problems with it, especially the keyboard. Somebody said, oh the Touch Pro 2 will be better, it is not as rushed a design and blah blah blah, but I see people having trouble with that so I have become quite skeptical.

When I get back to the states I will probably buy an HTC Arrive, I am just prodding to see what people's feelings are on this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

I guess, I just want to know what people think about this. I got an HTC Titan as was recommended a long time ago but it was limited by the low RAM, then a HTC Touch Pro replacement as it was deemed superior to the Titan, but have had a lot of problems with it, especially the keyboard. Somebody said, oh the Touch Pro 2 will be better, it is not as rushed a design and blah blah blah, but I see people having trouble with that so I have become quite skeptical.

When I get back to the states I will probably buy an HTC Arrive, I am just prodding to see what people's feelings are on this.

All the phones that sucked that you listed were Windows 6.5 or lower. HTC does a great job making great Android phones (the Arrive is solid too). Also, to be fair for anyone round the time that the Touch Pro came out, that was right before phones started doubling in power like, every other month (if memory serves me right).

Edit: The only thing that could disappoint about the Arrive is just Windows Phone 7 in general, so assuming you like that, you won't be disappointed in the Arrive.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 18, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
cool. i just dont want to be disappointed again

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ha no one in my family can text right now. It seems the network for SMS is down right now for us (we are in Knoxville, TN). Tired to call Sprint but one hell of a wait.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Ha no one in my family can text right now. It seems the network for SMS is down right now for us (we are in Knoxville, TN). Tired to call Sprint but one hell of a wait.

Same problem here. I don't really care about it now but my brother's p.mad about it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Interesting that you mention this...my friend (who lives in Dallas, TX) just said she was having problems as well, and called me to ask if I knew anything.

I haven't noticed any issues in Toledo, OH

EDIT:

In other news...apparently it's looking likely that the AT&T-Mobile deal will go through...and there is speculation that Sprint may sell to CenturyLink...

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/17/if-att-tmobile-closes-could-sprint-sell-centurylink/

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 18, 2011

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001
Question: If you port over 3 phone numbers and get new phone numbers on Everything Data Family, do you get the $125 service credit for each line?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Hey Tennessee friend, this is good for me to know, nashville has had crap internet here for the past 3 weeks now. Sprint really needs to fix it.

And you get the credit per line only if you keep your number. New numbers don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My girlfriend had her texts fail to send for a bit as well here in Omaha. Her number isn't local, though. I can't tell whether it happened on my Epic as I try to use it as little as possible as to prevent the growing desire to hurl it into traffic.