Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Amrosorma posted:

My four physical copies of Battlefield 2 inform me that physical media is horrible.
You don't get to complain until you have to install a CD copy of CoD2 (6 disks) or UT2004 (9 disks). :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Insert name here posted:

You don't get to complain until you have to install a CD copy of CoD2 (6 disks) or UT2004 (9 disks). :colbert:
I don't think he means 4 discs, I think he means four copies total from discs breaking, getting scratched, going missing, etc.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't think he means 4 discs, I think he means four copies total from discs breaking, getting scratched, going missing, etc.
I know (BF2 is 3 disks for vanilla, 2 for the expansion), I just wanted to hate on having to install from like 6 CDs. gently caress CD-Roms forever.

I wish they would bring back the big game boxes with giant game manuals in them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only physical media you should worry about handling are boobs.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yep.

And please, I've been there with the multi-CD-ROM installs too.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Gimperial posted:

Their quality control is crap, and this "bug" is really common from googling around.

I knew it was worse than they were letting on when I checked the official statement and their list of affected serial numbers, and mine wasn't on the list.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The only physical media you should worry about handling are boobs.

Ugh, spare me. Bloated, disgusting sacks of fat on a female? I'm sorry, but they can not compare to my preorders of The Witcher 2 Collector's Edition, Battlefield 3 Limited Edition, and Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition. :awesome:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Insert name here posted:

I know (BF2 is 3 disks for vanilla, 2 for the expansion), I just wanted to hate on having to install from like 6 CDs. gently caress CD-Roms forever.

I wish they would bring back the big game boxes with giant game manuals in them.
Sounds like someone didn't buy the DVD version of BF2 :smug:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

You Am I posted:

Sounds like someone didn't buy the DVD version of BF2 :smug:
I didn't even have a video card that supported Shader Model 2.0 what makes you think I had a DVD drive

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I like to cover the digital releases of older titles in my weekly roundups too, since any PC gamer worth his/her salt won't gently caress around with physical media. :)
This takes me back to when GoG said they were shutting down.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Amrosorma posted:

Yep.

And please, I've been there with the multi-CD-ROM installs too.

Before they had the complete collection of The Sims 1 for PC, I had to go through 12 disks to install every bit of The Sims 1 with all the expansion packs tagged on. I was a huge sim fanatic back then, so even though it hurt every time I had to install 12 disks, I knew it was well worth it in the end. Luckily, just luckily, not a single disk became unreadable since that purchase.

Disk 3 of Battlefield 2 wasn't so lucky though. :911:

I still think physical media has alot of importance. As much as I like the simplicity of steam, I wouldnt mind swapping a few DVD's in the disk tray if it means not having to download 10GB of data over the course of a day for just 1 game. But I assume as faster internet becomes widespread and cheaper, we may not have this problem down the line...that is unless they cap data useage.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 17, 2011

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Avocadoes posted:

Before they had the complete collection of The Sims 1 for PC, I had to go through 12 disks to install every bit of The Sims 1 with all the expansion packs tagged on. I was a huge sim fanatic back then, so even though it hurt every time I had to install 12 disks, I knew it was well worth it in the end. Luckily, just luckily, not a single disk became unreadable since that purchase.

I have the Deluxe Edition of The Sims containing the original plus Livin' Large. I then have all other expansions. What a pain in the arse it is installing them! Takes hours then I found out I'd lost the second disk of Makin' Magic. EA were useless with this too but I eventually got hold of a backup image and managed to install it.

After paying what must be over £100 for The Sims with the expansions, I'd have thought the least EA would have done would be allow you to add the serials to your EA account and download from there but apparently not.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr Right posted:

I have the Deluxe Edition of The Sims containing the original plus Livin' Large. I then have all other expansions. What a pain in the arse it is installing them! Takes hours then I found out I'd lost the second disk of Makin' Magic. EA were useless with this too but I eventually got hold of a backup image and managed to install it.

After paying what must be over £100 for The Sims with the expansions, I'd have thought the least EA would have done would be allow you to add the serials to your EA account and download from there but apparently not.

After paying £100 for The Sims, EA probably should have sent you a gun and a shameful letter.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Could have been worse... like when Kings Quest VI was released on 12 floppy disks.

The chance that all of them would even work was probably quite slim in the first place.

I remember it taking forever to install that, nevermind the fact that it took up around 14 or 15 mb of my 40 mb hard drive space. But it was worth it.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Avocadoes posted:

I still think physical media has alot of importance. As much as I like the simplicity of steam, I wouldnt mind swapping a few DVD's in the disk tray if it means not having to download 10GB of data over the course of a day for just 1 game. But I assume as faster internet becomes widespread and cheaper, we may not have this problem down the line...that is unless they cap data useage.

You are absolutely right in assuming that faster internet makes a huge difference.

I can't imagine going to the store to buy a PC game anymore (unless I want the Special Edition goodies or something), after finally getting a fast internet connection. Instead I now download ~10GB of game in about half an hour or so.

This will become more and more common in the future I think, it's just too convenient to be able to go "Hey, that game looks nice" and then being able to play it a few minutes / an hour later.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

keyframe posted:

Steelseries 7G mechanical keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used and I have used a lot of keyboards.

Man, that thing looks really nice. I've been using one of these for the past eight or nine years:

I'd love something with mechanical switches (and a cable so I don't need to fiddle with batteries) but I'm so used to those media controls in the center I just don't know if I could go without. Maybe I should get a mechanical keyboard too and keep both plugged in so I can reach over and use the media controls when I need them. :shepface:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I like to cover the digital releases of older titles in my weekly roundups too, since any PC gamer worth his/her salt won't gently caress around with physical media. :)
Physical media might be on the way out, but we PC gamers have a long and glorious history of creative physical media that should not be ignored just because the future is more elegantly efficient!

I am probably going to own my Ultima IX foot-and-a-half-tall special edition box for my entire life. But that does not mean I want all my new games to come in increasingly large boxes.

Insert name here posted:

NO! C'MON! I JUST TALKED ABOUT THIS we have moved beyond that now :(

Insert name here posted:

Hero's Quest I ("QUEST FOR GLORY I") came on 10 floppies. At the time, that was just about as interminably awful as a 9-CD install.

Oh man, one-upped before my post by King's Quest VI. I am genuinely shocked that they were still releasing those games on floppy given that King's Quest V was the first game I can recall being trumpeted as using ASTOUNDING NEW MULTIMEDIA CD-ROM CAPABILITIES

Meldonox posted:

Maybe I should get a mechanical keyboard too and keep both plugged in so I can reach over and use the media controls when I need them. :shepface:
This is an excellent use for this face; well played.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I remember when FMV games were all the rage, the ads for them in magazines BRAGGED about how many CDs it took to play the game. They had this little spruced up art in the corner saying "7 DISCS!" like it was a dick measurement.

But that was cool and everything because it did feel like a cool new technology. I admit to being entranced by REAL VOICE ACTING, non-MIDI soundtracks and a poo poo load of 256-color FMV cutscenes as a kid.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
The anti-piracy measures used those days were great too!

"What's the name of this obscure car that can be located in the manual?"
Indy 500, why do you do this to me! You know I lost that years ago! :argh:

keyframe posted:

Steelseries 7G mechanical keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used and I have used a lot of keyboards.
What makes this keyboard superior to say a $20 keyboard? I'm curious to know why exactly this keyboard is so awesome as my knowledge of keyboards is limited to my gateway 2000 keyboard and a lovely wireless one I got from Logitech as part of a keyboard/mouse combo. I didn't notice much of a difference between the two besides the Logitech's keys getting "stuck".

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Some people really jizz over the mechanical aspect of keys because it's a mechanical contact and not a digital one. It technically allows for clearer differentiation between different key presses and higher rate of repetition etc.

Honestly as long as your keyboard isn't a piece of poo poo this really shouldn't be a problem.

That being said. I still love my MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard the best. Super comfortable and awesome to use. If I had to buy another Keyboard at anytime in the future, it'll be another one of these. I've had this thing for like almost 5 years now and it's still trucking without so much as a hiccup.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
Can anyone recommend a new gfx card based on my specs? PSU will probably be the main problem here. I've been looking at various Nvidia cards, but unsure of what to get. Apparently the GTX 460 will be fine with my PSU.

Intel Core i3 550 3.20GHz overclocked to 3.6Ghz
Intel H55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 microATX Motherboard
4GB DDR3 1600MHz memory
500GB HDD + 1TB external
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB
OCZ 500w StealthXStream II

edit: Thanks.

MR.B fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 17, 2011

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

MR.B posted:

Can anyone recommend a new gfx card based on my specs? PSU will probably be the main problem here. I've been looking at various Nvidia cards, but unsure of what to get. Apparently the GTX 460 will be fine with my PSU.

Intel Core i3 550 3.20GHz overclocked to 3.6Ghz
Intel H55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 microATX Motherboard
4GB DDR3 1600MHz memory
500GB HDD + 1TB external
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB
OCZ 500w StealthXStream II

Please take this question to the parts picking thread. That said, the standard "GTX 460 1G or Radeon 6850, whatever is cheaper" should apply to you.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

After paying £100 for The Sims, EA probably should have sent you a gun and a shameful letter.

I loved the original Sims and could still pick it up and burn tens of hours into it. In fact, once I get bored of Football Manager again, I'm totally going back to it!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Master_Odin posted:

What makes this keyboard superior to say a $20 keyboard? I'm curious to know why exactly this keyboard is so awesome as my knowledge of keyboards is limited to my gateway 2000 keyboard and a lovely wireless one I got from Logitech as part of a keyboard/mouse combo. I didn't notice much of a difference between the two besides the Logitech's keys getting "stuck".

The logitech and the gateway keyboard both probably use rubber dome keycaps. Mechanical switches feel different from rubber domes. To me, it's a smoother actuation that requires less pressure because you don't need to push the keys all the way to the bottom. I don't know how much difference it makes for gaming, but I way prefer the feel for typing. Before this I had a Microsoft Natural 4000, which I did like, but the light keypresses more than make up for the non-ergonomic shape for me.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
^^^ for me mechanical is all about the tactile feedback, the click, the push. It's a pleasure when gaming, and when speed typing your flow has an almost tangible melody. Unless you use one and try one this will seem like hyperbole, but its not. :colbert:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Manac0r posted:

^^^ for me mechanical is all about the tactile feedback, the click, the push. It's a pleasure when gaming, and when speed typing your flow has an almost tangible melody. Unless you use one and try one this will seem like hyperbole, but its not. :colbert:
Do any stores have these available to try out? This seems really exciting and awesome in comparison, but I'm apprehensive on spending this much on a keyboard. :ohdear:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Master_Odin posted:

Do any stores have these available to try out?

A lot of stores use them with their POS systems. If you don't mind getting yelled at just walk up to one and type away.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Master_Odin posted:

The anti-piracy measures used those days were great too!

"What's the name of this obscure car that can be located in the manual?"
Indy 500, why do you do this to me! You know I lost that years ago! :argh:

It is built like a rock. You will be using this keyboard 5 years from now and it will still work like it did the first day. The keys have the perfect weight to them and they are super responsive. Unlike other keyboards mechanical keyboard keys register much sooner than a full key press. It is a small difference but it makes a difference when gaming.

It also has two usb ports and a headphone/mic jack in the back which was invaluable for me.

Oh and the wrist rest rocks.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

keyframe posted:

It is built like a rock. You will be using this keyboard 5 years from now and it will still work like it did the first day.

People say this, but I've literally never had a keyboard fail on me in my 20 or so years of hard core PC Gaming. Even one I poured a full Dr. Pepper into. I've had one no name keyboard for a solid 12 years or so.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Coming full circle...

I used to be an avid PC Gamer. I upgraded every two years, kept myself at the bleeding edge of what games would accept, and looked down my nose at the console people who had no idea what they were missing.

Then came XBox Live and the 360. The ability to matchmake easily, as well as several console only games (at the time) such as Halo 2/3, NCAA Football, Mass Effect, etc. as well as the achievement craze and PC Piracy debacles (Ubisoft in particular) led me on a 4 year sojourn into console-only outside of RTS games, MMOs and NWN.

Now though, I find myself more engrossed in games like Minecraft, old space shooters (Freespace), and games which just aren't being made for consoles. With the ability to use my 360 controller on the PC, if some games were being made for PC (Football in particular) I wouldn't have a reason to stick with consoles at all outside of media streaming. Heck, if they would drop the stupid copy protection schemes which install rootkits and other fun things on your PC I'd be PC-only again.

Steam in particular has driven me more toward PC on several titles (Battlefield, Orange Box, etc.)

Maybe this would work better as a blog post... but is anyone else in the same boat?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Kashwashwa posted:

People say this, but I've literally never had a keyboard fail on me in my 20 or so years of hard core PC Gaming. Even one I poured a full Dr. Pepper into. I've had one no name keyboard for a solid 12 years or so.
I'd say my gateway 2000 keyboard (and mouse pad) are likely to make it past 14 (possibly a bit older as it has the old logo, but I don't remember when my family actually got the machine) years of ownership and use. Granted, the mouse would probably also be used if it wasn't for the fact I absolutely adore MB3 and MB4 on the side. If the keyboard isn't lasting 10+ years, then it's a lovely keyboard. :colbert:

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

Coming full circle...

I used to be an avid PC Gamer. I upgraded every two years, kept myself at the bleeding edge of what games would accept, and looked down my nose at the console people who had no idea what they were missing.

Then came XBox Live and the 360. The ability to matchmake easily, as well as several console only games (at the time) such as Halo 2/3, NCAA Football, Mass Effect, etc. as well as the achievement craze and PC Piracy debacles (Ubisoft in particular) led me on a 4 year sojourn into console-only outside of RTS games, MMOs and NWN.

Now though, I find myself more engrossed in games like Minecraft, old space shooters (Freespace), and games which just aren't being made for consoles. With the ability to use my 360 controller on the PC, if some games were being made for PC (Football in particular) I wouldn't have a reason to stick with consoles at all outside of media streaming. Heck, if they would drop the stupid copy protection schemes which install rootkits and other fun things on your PC I'd be PC-only again.

Steam in particular has driven me more toward PC on several titles (Battlefield, Orange Box, etc.)

Maybe this would work better as a blog post... but is anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah, this is pretty much me for the last 4 years, though I did keep up with PC gaming a decent bit, but the majority was on the 360. Forza 2 is what got me to buy an Xbox 360, and then there were a few exclusives like Mass Effect, GTA IV (it was on PC, but required a beast of a system), Fable II, ME 2, RDR, Forza 3 that kept me on it along with some solid XBLA games. At this point though, I rarely use it. After I pick it up this evening, LA Noire is the only game I'll really have played on the 360 in a few months. PC is 95% of my gaming again.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

Heck, if they would drop the stupid copy protection schemes which install rootkits and other fun things on your PC I'd be PC-only again.

They already have. Rootkit DRM is pretty much a thing of the past, thanks to a combination of Steam, DRM-free initiatives such as GoG and the Humble Indie Bundles, and heavy PR backlash against the odd company like Ubisoft that tries something really Draconian. For 99% of PC games nowadays, you can buy them and never even know that they have DRM, if they actually have any in the first place.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is L.A. Noire coming to PC or am I going to have to buy it for my PS3? I can't remember the last time I played a game on my PS3 and I need to finish up RDR, LBP2, and Uncharted 2. I upgraded my computer last month (i5-2500K w/8GB RAM :pcgaming:) and now I haven't touched the PS3 since then.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Kashwashwa posted:

I used the same generic Dell keyboard since 2003 up until about a month ago when I puked on it and didn't want to bother trying to get the stink out. Its replacement is a $10 Lite-On that will probably end up lasting even longer (unless I get drunk and throw up on this one too). My parents have the keyboard from their first PC in 1997 that still works fine. Unless you're just outright abusing them, any keyboard should last a pretty long time.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

spasticColon posted:

Is L.A. Noire coming to PC or am I going to have to buy it for my PS3? I can't remember the last time I played a game on my PS3 and I need to finish up RDR, LBP2, and Uncharted 2. I upgraded my computer last month (i5-2500K w/8GB RAM :pcgaming:) and now I haven't touched the PS3 since then.

Nothing has come from Rockstar on this, but I doubt we'll be getting it if I'm honest. It's annoying that we didn't get Red Dead but downright frustrating now because I might have to buy a console. I used to have a 360 but after I got my (then) new rig (in 2008) I sold it after it just sat there and collected dust.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

I used the same generic Dell keyboard since 2003 up until about a month ago when I puked on it and didn't want to bother trying to get the stink out. Its replacement is a $10 Lite-On that will probably end up lasting even longer (unless I get drunk and throw up on this one too). My parents have the keyboard from their first PC in 1997 that still works fine. Unless you're just outright abusing them, any keyboard should last a pretty long time.

Damnit dude, you are disgusting...

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Probably not. The last big Rockstar game to make it to PC was GTA4, and that was years ago.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Probably not. The last big Rockstar game to make it to PC was GTA4, and that was years ago.

Perhaps after the porting disaster that was GTA4, Rockstar just decided not to bother with PC ports anymore. It's probably because they suck at porting their games. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

spasticColon posted:

I haven't even opened my copy of Uncharted 2 :ohdear: Too many PC games to play.

• Locked thread