Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

So if one was maybe going to have a motorcycle for three days in Paris...

Where do you go?

You end up dead because of Paris traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2379103134.html

quote:

2007 SUZUKI GSX-R750 - $1 (Newark DE)

Date: 2011-05-13, 2:13PM EDT
Reply to: sale-qb7ud-2379103134@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale is my 2007 GSX-R. I bought the bike 3 weeks ago (April 26 to be exact) after my friend taught me how to ride (2 days of learning) BIG MISTAKE. I crushed the bike on my 1st highway ride and it almost killed me on I-95, (Thanks GOD I wore all the protective’s). The bike runs and drives just as it did when I bought it but the Plastics are cracked and some are broke. I will not fix it and I don’t want the bike in my garage. First person with best offer takes it. I just left the hospital after 5 days of hell, getting my skin scrubbed off due to Road rush (thanks Nurse Judy) and two peace of metal put in my leg, SO I WILL NOT HELP LOADING THE BIKE. I DON’T NEED THE MONEY SO DON’T EMAIL ME WITH SOME STUPID OFFERS, Also if you have a family or you are new in riding “like I was” PLEASE stick with car or 4 wheels auto. BIKES ARE F*&^%#ing not worth it. (Just save your money and life). Lesson 101. I wish someone gave me that advice before.

Added
It has 4,120 miles and a clean title.
Motorcycles are crazy and will kill you because I started on a GSX-R750 and wrecked it in three weeks after opening it up on the highway.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Looks like the friend who taught him (for 2 whole days no less :v: ) came up with an evil scheme to get a cheap gixxer....:devil:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Personally, I like Road rush. :confused:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa Z3n, those are quite amazing.

redscare posted:

REI is going to hack $60 off the price of these starting the 20th

In memory of the Tenerife killing?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

quote:

I wish someone gave me that advice before.

This is the part I laughed at hardest. Yeah right buddy.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spiffness posted:

So if one was maybe going to have a motorcycle for three days in Paris...

Where do you go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9BofCzc80U

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It took an italian to put an end to it because they have all that great beef and pork to rely on. The british natives sympathetically turned away, perhaps mumbling 'lucky blighter' and ruing their woefully inadequate cucumber sandwich and packet of crisps.

That's what living in england is like, right? You all get a ration of cucumber sandwiches and crisps?

Are you kidding? A tourist's head is essential in the preparation of a proper Full English or Sunday roast. It's almost as good as marmite.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Just watched Long Way Down after loving LWR, and I thought it was kind of a piece of poo poo.

Too much "and now we're flying here to whore for some charity"

"Now we're pretending this tribes horrific customs are totally cool!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw (and heard) the new Speed Triple today (I don't think it was the 2012 Street). It was black. It had black exhausts. Black everything. It looked and sounded completely badass. If you aren't too thrilled by the pictures, wait until you see one going down the road before passing judgment.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I just got my first pair of leather riding pants. A nice AVG pair. I did not expect them to be so drat slippery on my seat. GOD drat I am sliding all over the place.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Backov posted:

Just watched Long Way Down after loving LWR, and I thought it was kind of a piece of poo poo.

The best part is how that guy with the lisp has never let go of the 'motorcyclist on tv' shtick.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

TheFonz posted:

I just got my first pair of leather riding pants. A nice AVG pair. I did not expect them to be so drat slippery on my seat. GOD drat I am sliding all over the place.

Yep, the first time I tried to hang off after I got leather pants I practically almost fell off. I wasn't until then that all the ugly tank pads made sense.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

Welcome to the leather pants club :respek:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just got a solid pair of overpants a bit ago after riding in jeans forever, and luckily never taking a spill. I rode in them constantly for a while, then last week I was just putting to a friend's new apartment, so I skipped the pants but did everything else.

Never again, felt naked from the waste down. I took the highway home and I felt like I was riding with a jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, and my naked rear end on the seat. Never again.

I can't fathom people who wear nothing and ride on the highway :psyduck:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Linedance posted:

I saw (and heard) the new Speed Triple today (I don't think it was the 2012 Street). It was black. It had black exhausts. Black everything. It looked and sounded completely badass. If you aren't too thrilled by the pictures, wait until you see one going down the road before passing judgment.

Gotta say, as rabidly anti the new lights I was when the Speed was announced, they have grown on me and do look pretty good in the flesh when you see one pass by on the street. As the 2011 Street didn't get ABS or any cool poo poo like that I'm holding off another year before upgrading (hoping that ABS comes in 2012), so it's probably a good thing that they've grown on me.. :P

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Backov posted:

As opposed to, "we're gnarly road warriors on a man-versus-taiga battle to the death" while being followed by 20 people in Land Cruisers full of spare parts and bankrolled by a Hollywood star's Fat Movie Cheque?

If you think African tribes have horrific customs, you haven't seen a Glasgow nightclub at chucking out time.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Okay, unless this has been mentioned already, which of you 2 goons are doing this podcast: Wheelnerds. Listened to the first one, was pretty good, if you overlook the audio quality (good sound for the most part, but a little strange feed back every once in a while.) First ep. had an ADV type ride, and a discussion about Buels.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another backfire in Ballard this Wednesday the 18th, anyone interested?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saw a man on a supermoto with an open face helmet smoking a cigarette drag knee at the Arc de Triomphe yesterday.

Then this morning I saw 4 motorcycles in a row turn off the road and ride down this small flight of stairs to shoot down a back alley. The 2nd bike to do it was a cop.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slim Pickens posted:

Another backfire in Ballard this Wednesday the 18th, anyone interested?

Yeah I'm planning on going. Looks like the weather will be good for this one, unlike the torrent (for here) that kept me from last month's.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Saw a man on a supermoto with an open face helmet smoking a cigarette drag knee at the Arc de Triomphe yesterday.

Then this morning I saw 4 motorcycles in a row turn off the road and ride down this small flight of stairs to shoot down a back alley. The 2nd bike to do it was a cop.

Ah, Paris :allears:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah I'm planning on going. Looks like the weather will be good for this one, unlike the torrent (for here) that kept me from last month's.

Awesome. I actually ended up going to the last one because I was feeling better after a miserable bike commute home. Still rained a little, but there was a decent showing. I'll be there again on a red monster with big plastic frame sliders.

Spiffness posted:

So does this mean you're moving?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

This sounds like heaven.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

So I've been riding for not even a full year now, but I just had a completely crazy idea:

Is this completely insane as a new rider? The biggest problem in my mind is not so much riding out there, but riding back. If you don't recognize the destination, that's Burning Man, which means I'll be riding back after spending a couple weeks exhausted and dehydrated.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't doubt that you'd survive the trip. I did Seattle-Sturgis-Seattle 3 months after getting my endorsement, and I could have gone way further if the bike hadn't fallen apart.

Give yourself a lot of time, especially after burning man. I typically budget myself to 500 miles of slab a day, beyond that, I get hit by fatigue. 500 mile days are pretty easy, reaching 600 is a challenge. You'll hate interstate highway by the time you're done with the trip, too.

I wouldn't bring a bike to the playa though, unless I wanted a new paint job.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Hehe, it's a Bonneville so a blasting with desert dust seems appropriate. A good washing afterwards to keep the dust from corroding anything should do just fine.

I'm thinking for the trip out at least, to leave on Wednesday and ride from Baltimore to Chicago on day 1, and stay the night there with my brother. Then I'll have Thursday-Sunday to get to Reno, where I'll stay for my last night before riding onto the playa on Monday.

Coming back, I'll probably give myself a full day in Reno to recuperate, then another five days to make the trip back. I also have a good friend who drives his RV out and back every year, so if I try to coordinate my schedule with him then I'll have support in case of an emergency.

Honestly my biggest fears are that I haven't been riding long, and I've never even driven a car on anything more than maybe a 6-hour trip. I'm pretty determined once I set my mind on something though, and I love spending time alone, so I think I should be able to handle it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think you need to budget more time for traveling. Gas stops double as breaks so they take progressively longer as you fatigue and with the bike's limited range, occur more frequently. 7 days for essentially a coast-to-coast run would seem like a more reasonable timeframe to me.

If you do it, you should get in touch with some goons along the way and log a Iron Butt 1000/24.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

This sounds like heaven.

As long as you're insane enough to deal with Parisian traffic, Paris is a great rider city. There's bike/scooter parking everywhere, the concept of the "urban traffic cop" seems foreign to the French, and its certainly cheaper to own than a car.

Me, I think I'll stick to the subway when I'm there. I'm not that crazy.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

I think you need to budget more time for traveling. Gas stops double as breaks so they take progressively longer as you fatigue and with the bike's limited range, occur more frequently. 7 days for essentially a coast-to-coast run would seem like a more reasonable timeframe to me.

If you do it, you should get in touch with some goons along the way and log a Iron Butt 1000/24.

Really? Seven days is less than 400 miles per day. Five days is still only about 550 miles per day which seems pretty realistic to me.

It's also occurred to me that since my friend is driving the RV, if I didn't feel like I could make the trip back, I could rent a trailer and tow it back with him. Always good to have a back-up plan. Getting all the time off work will be an issue too, so the couple days I'd save doing it that way might make it possible or not.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

See about getting a bike hitch for the back, one of those ones you just ride up on that hangs off the back. That way if you need to take a day off it's no big deal and if the bike breaks down you don't have to panic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It really depends on what kind of roads you hit. 500 miles flat out across Kansas or whatever, chances are you're just going to die from boredom. If you're not a relatively seasoned rider though, 500 miles of twisty roads will leave your brain as a pile of mush. Not to mention expect that 500 miles is going to take you at least 11 hours a day.

I'd say ride out there on a slightly longer timeline, enjoy the scenery and the ride, and hitch a ride back with your friends in their RV.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SlightlyMadman posted:

So I've been riding for not even a full year now, but I just had a completely crazy idea:

Is this completely insane as a new rider? The biggest problem in my mind is not so much riding out there, but riding back. If you don't recognize the destination, that's Burning Man, which means I'll be riding back after spending a couple weeks exhausted and dehydrated.

I don't know about you, but a two day festival makes me want to curl up and die in the back seat on the drive home - I can't imagine riding after Burning Man.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

It really depends on what kind of roads you hit. 500 miles flat out across Kansas or whatever, chances are you're just going to die from boredom. If you're not a relatively seasoned rider though, 500 miles of twisty roads will leave your brain as a pile of mush. Not to mention expect that 500 miles is going to take you at least 11 hours a day.

I'd say ride out there on a slightly longer timeline, enjoy the scenery and the ride, and hitch a ride back with your friends in their RV.

It's interesting how fatigue affects the end of your day. For me 500 miles of interstate is an easy 8-9 hours and a good nights sleep afterward. But then a 600 mile day poses a challenge to stay alert and safe for the last hundred or so, breaks become way more important throughout the whole day, and that stretches the time budget out.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 17, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well, the worst case if I can't pick up the pace is I get to the event a couple days later than I intended. I've been going for the past 10 years, so it wouldn't be a big deal or anything. I'm going to feel out my options a bit, and maybe even plan a weekend trip with a long ride like that to give me a feel for what to expect.

I suspect I'll want to be making some minor modifications to the bike as well, to make the ride easier. A windshield would seem like the first priority, as well as maybe better grips, and of course some serious luggage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

All this talk of ~500 miles a day being the safe limit is kind of worrying me. I'm planning a trip up to Wisconsin for my brother's graduation party. Current plan was get to Milwaukee (640 mi, 11.5 hours) the first day then Menomonie (270 mi, 5.5 hours) the second.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate that plan and try to break it up a bit more evenly. I did ~550 in one day last spring for the pig pass and while a bit sore did fine. Another 100 miles on that isn't that appealing though...especially on a naked bike.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Slim Pickens posted:

Awesome. I actually ended up going to the last one because I was feeling better after a miserable bike commute home. Still rained a little, but there was a decent showing. I'll be there again on a red monster with big plastic frame sliders.

I'm up for it, but same excuse. If there's any interest at 630-7, after I'm done with training, then I'll try to swing by.

Silver Triumph, if I do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

All this talk of ~500 miles a day being the safe limit is kind of worrying me. I'm planning a trip up to Wisconsin for my brother's graduation party. Current plan was get to Milwaukee (640 mi, 11.5 hours) the first day then Menomonie (270 mi, 5.5 hours) the second.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate that plan and try to break it up a bit more evenly. I did ~550 in one day last spring for the pig pass and while a bit sore did fine. Another 100 miles on that isn't that appealing though...especially on a naked bike.

I did 730 miles on the DRZ in one day, and then another 620 the next day without any problems. I was pretty beat, but it went fine. That seems doable to me, if you're planning on just riding that day, and not sightseeing or anything else.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

NitroSpazzz posted:

I did a 250 mile camping trip with some friends last year, and it took us drat near 8 hours. That included a number of gas stops as a couple have old UJMs that get about 100 miles on a tank, and we weren't in a rush, but a 600 mile day sounds brutal. Maybe I just haven't grown large enough riding balls though.

That being said, we're leaving for another camping trip on Saturday, 270 miles, that I'm pretty psyched for, and there have been talks of a longer trip later this summer, so maybe my opinion will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slim Pickens posted:

I'll be on the scooter in my avatar. Hopefully I don't get laughed out; though I know some other scooterists are attending (via seattlescootersociety.com)