Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's a good idea, but it leads to problems in the plotting of Ep. 3. If Yoda is portrayed as so godlike he doesn't even have to fight, the obvious question becomes "So why didn't he just go kill the Emperor?" Which means you're painted into the corner of having to either 1) have a spazzy Palpatine/Yoda lightsaber fight, 2) try to portray a weaponless and probably visually uninteresting "mental" Palpatine/Yoda fight, or 3) leave a plot hole with Yoda never bothering to try to whack Palpatine.

They could do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Vyhve9gtg

Also I don't really buy the idea that the fact that we know who survives the prequels will always take all the tension out of it. It's perfectly possible to get engaged with a movie even if you know the ending - any movie that is only interesting because you don't know the ending is probably a lovely movie anyway. AotC is boring because they utterly failed at characterization.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

TheLoquid posted:

They could do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Vyhve9gtg

It's a beautiful scene. The fight is only 50 seconds long, subtly choreographed with minimal effects, and crucially dependent on the atmosphere created by the writing, acting, and set design in the preceding minutes. This works in Star Wars as well - other than the cross-cutting, the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in Ep 4 is a powerful scene for basically the same reasons.

The Lucas of 1977 could have done it. The Lucas of 2002 couldn't, and didn't.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Yoda's fight scenes probably could have been saved if he had a second lightsaber.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Flavor Bear posted:

Yoda's fight scenes probably could have been saved if he had a second lightsaber.

img-rolleyesvomitmacro etc etc.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TheLoquid posted:

Also I don't really buy the idea that the fact that we know who survives the prequels will always take all the tension out of it.

Anyone who thinks knowing the ending of something automatically takes all the tension out of it has obviously never seen United 93

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Flavor Bear posted:

Only if it was a black extendable lightsaber that he reverse grips and spends three awful EU books obtaining.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Flavor Bear posted:

A second double bladed lightsaber.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Yoda becomes a lightsaber.
And then Anakin comes in and his prosthetic hand has 5 tiny lightsabers at the fingertips.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flavor Bear posted:

And then Anakin comes in and his prosthetic hand has 5 tiny lightsabers at the fingertips.
Has this been done already, somehow I think it has?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Flavor Bear posted:

Nah, that's too predictable. Yoda shouldn't have had a lightsaber, he should have dual-wielded a lightwhip and light hula-hoop. Then he could, like, throw the light hula-hoop at Count Dooku. Then when Count Dooku dodged the hoop Yoda could use the lightwhip to grab the light hula hoop and swing it around on the end of the lightwhip like a lightlasso from hell.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Also Yoda should have been driving an AT-ST that was riding on top of an AT-AT.
And just throwing bucketfuls of lightsabers out the window.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Flavor Bear posted:

Thanks to this post, I have this mental image of Yoda being the Grand Marshall of a parade, but instead of throwing out candy to children, he starts throwing out lightsabers and the streets basically just look like the Jedi Temple in Sith, with piles of dead younglings lying all over the place.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Also, I just got the idea for a suit that is just a giant lightsaber and you just run up and headbutt people to impale them. Or a Power Rangers-style giant lightsaber that is made up of members of the Jedi Council or some poo poo.

Someone call the EU, we can make a novel trilogy out of this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Locutus of Bald posted:

Someone call the EU, we can make a novel trilogy multi-author series out of this.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's a good idea, but it leads to problems in the plotting of Ep. 3. If Yoda is portrayed as so godlike he doesn't even have to fight, the obvious question becomes "So why didn't he just go kill the Emperor?" Which means you're painted into the corner of having to either 1) have a spazzy Palpatine/Yoda lightsaber fight, 2) try to portray a weaponless and probably visually uninteresting "mental" Palpatine/Yoda fight, or 3) leave a plot hole with Yoda never bothering to try to whack Palpatine.

Obviously, the real point of a conflict between the Palpatine and Yoda is the future of the galaxy.

Palpatine fires up a wall of vid-screens Watchmen-style, Yoda sees the truth in the faces and voices of the Republic's citizens, that it has irrevocably fallen. The destructive flames of fear and hate, fed by brilliant manipulations of the war, have spread across a thousand thousand worlds. The cries for "action" and "purity" are deafening. The Emperor's sympathizers are legion: no jail could be found to hold him securely, and no execution would prevent them from looking for a replacement. And now that such a throne has been forged in the minds of men, how many men would think themselves deserving it? How many would rise to take it, and how many would follow them, and how many would fall in the wars that would then engulf the stars? Perhaps a galaxy at "peace" with one emperor is still slightly better than one in chaos? But what mad wounds will a Sith empire inflict on itself, directed by an egotist of such depthless evil?

Yoda is stunned, overwhelmed by the horror of these questions. All he can know for sure is that the peace of 10,000 years has come to an end, and the pendulum of history will finally swing back into a new dark age. He has lost, despite his compassion and wisdom; his order was too blind to recognize the true nature, the true fragility of what they were sworn to protect.

A broken muppet, he stumbles from the room. Anakin steps forward, saying they can't risk leaving a great Jedi Master alive. Palpatine smiles and says "I haven't."

e: That ended up longer than I planned, because I am a talentless nerd that cares, etc etc.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 17, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
You know, if Noa Briqualon and his partner Salek Weet hadn't crashed on Endor, they probably would have been a big help in keeping the Republic together.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Oh and on the subject of battles in the mind and whatnot. I thought that the visual style of the energybending battle in Avatar's finale would have equally fit. High stakes, corruption vs purity and the people filling with light thing after doing a bunch of elemental kung fu fit decently enough. And it would have shown Sidious and Yoda being beyond the lightsaber combat that other Force users relied on.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Flavor Bear posted:

The mental image of this has me laughing out loud. Do we have any artists in here who could do it justice? It could probably also make a hell of a MSPaint thread.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

Sith Happens posted:

The mental image of this has me laughing out loud. Do we have any artists in here who could do it justice? It could probably also make a hell of a MSPaint thread.

Same. It's not often that something on the internet makes me laugh anymore (and isn't that kinda sad?), but I lost it at "bucketfuls of lightsabers."

I echo the call for high-quality artwork of this imagery.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

basx posted:

Same. It's not often that something on the internet makes me laugh anymore (and isn't that kinda sad?), but I lost it at "bucketfuls of lightsabers."

I echo the call for high-quality artwork of this imagery.

Weave it into a stupid story about the recovery of an old artifact from the Jedi Temple, and watch it being taken into canon in 12 parsecs.

clueless
Sep 26, 2006

Look at everyone around you, and think "Half of these people are idiots, and half of those don't know it either." "Why only half?"
Watching the Holiday Special right now. Starts off with a cool Han and Chewie moment, outrunning the Imperials. I'm gonna go with it goes downhill from here, seeing as how 'A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away...' was just simple text on the screen, and not the traditional scrawl, coupled with the cheesy announcer spewing 'THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!' absolutely SCREAMS 'WE THREW THIS TOGETHER!!!'.

...why do I kill my childhood by watching stuff like this?

:edit: Oh god, the cameo snapshots! Carrie Fisher looks so loving stoned. So stoned.

:edit edit: gently caress this, I got to baby Wookie taking the trash out, and have to turn it off. Wow. I at least got 5 minutes into 2girls1cup. drat.

clueless fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And R2-D2 as R2-D2.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

clueless posted:

You didn't even get to the part where the Grandpa Wookie has a wet dream to a woman covered in tinsel, weakling.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slantedfloors posted:

You didn't even get to the part where the Grandpa Wookie has a wet dream to a woman covered in tinsel, weakling.

My favourite bit is when the lovely spin off of Jefferson Airplane is singing inside a pink neon box.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

clueless posted:

Watching the Holiday Special right now. Starts off with a cool Han and Chewie moment, outrunning the Imperials. I'm gonna go with it goes downhill from here, seeing as how 'A long time ago, in a galaxy, far, far away...' was just simple text on the screen, and not the traditional scrawl, coupled with the cheesy announcer spewing 'THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!!' absolutely SCREAMS 'WE THREW THIS TOGETHER!!!'.

:edit: Oh god, the cameo snapshots! Carrie Fisher looks so loving stoned. So stoned.

:edit edit: gently caress this, I got to baby Wookie taking the trash out, and have to turn it off. Wow. I at least got 5 minutes into 2girls1cup. drat.

You miss all the good parts if you stop it early! You get to see carrie fisher stumble around the set! And don't forget the sweet cartoon that is the first appearence of Boba Fett.

Here's an interesting fact about the Holiday Special: Carrie Fisher doesn't remember making the movie.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Slantedfloors posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emY5n8O9owo&feature=related

Here you go, seriously it's bad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

"Josephine Donovan was an ambassador-cum-smuggler..."

I can't help but wish that Star Wars had a character named "Ambassador Cum Smuggler."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

clueless posted:

No, it actually screams "IT'S THE MID TO LATE SEVENTIES!....FEATURING PAUL LYNDE! CAROL BURNETT! AND SPECIAL GUEST, MR. TIM CONWAY!"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

No, it actually screams "IT'S THE MID TO LATE SEVENTIES!....FEATURING PAUL LYNDE! CAROL BURNETT! AND SPECIAL GUEST, MR. TIM CONWAY!"

No, it screams LUCAS SUDDENLY BECAME A MILLIONAIRE FROM ANH, BLEW IT ALL ON COKE, AND PANICKED WHEN HE RAN OUT OF CASH SO HE GOT EVERYONE TOGETHER TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK

Every single person, from the writers to the actors, was tripped out on coke the entire time and everyone knows it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

The first black person to show up in Star Wars and it's a virtual prostitute.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mister Roboto posted:

No, it screams LUCAS SUDDENLY BECAME A MILLIONAIRE FROM ANH, BLEW IT ALL ON COKE, AND PANICKED WHEN HE RAN OUT OF CASH SO HE GOT EVERYONE TOGETHER TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK

Every single person, from the writers to the actors, was tripped out on coke the entire time and everyone knows it.

Lucas actually didn't have that much to do with it. He gave them the rights and came up with the story, but he didn't oversee it day to day; he let them do their own thing. That's why he hates the Holiday Special, but loves Attack of the Clones.

That's really the heart of Jorge right there: When someone else makes a terrible film, he has no problem saying it's a piece of poo poo. When he himself makes a terrible film, he doubles down and insists that it's a masterpiece of cinema and it's his best film yet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Locutus of Bald posted:

Lucas actually didn't have that much to do with it. He gave them the rights and came up with the story, but he didn't oversee it day to day; he let them do their own thing.
The story alone is proof of drug abuse.

Also:

Chibi Star Wars.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Flavor Bear posted:

And the Glaive. Bitchin'.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nckdictator posted:

Actually, the song's not too terrible.

But in context, yeah, that's loving incredible.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Somewhere I've seen a stencil or black and white vectorized image of a Star Destroyer. Might be on a shirt. I think it's screen grabbed from the beginning of ANH.

Anyone know the image I'm talking about?

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

NeonTurtle posted:

Then he could, like, throw the light hula-hoop at Count Dooku.

In the wake of the Tron sequel I'm amazed this hasn't already been done.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Mister Roboto posted:

That's weird, I always assumed that it came out after RotJ.

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch the Holiday Special. From the glimpses I've seen, it would take an amazing amount of alcohol to sit through, and then an even bigger amount to forget.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

That's weird, I always assumed that it came out after RotJ.

Nah, it was made shortly after ANH, making it pretty obviously done in the heady rush of being an overnight millionaire. Rumor has it that Lucas suffered an intense mental breakdown from ANH, too, adding to the general insanity of decisions of that era.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How does an Ewok cross the road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Crowetron posted:

How does an Ewok cross the road?

In a paste stuck to the foot of an AT-ST.