Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dr Christmas posted:

I hate the fact the ability to drive to your job is considered a luxury and not a necessity.

You should pull yourself up by your bootstraps and use the public transit that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

GraveyTrain posted:

I guess I found my way back on my brother's forward list. /sigh

Here's the obligatory snopes link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/imtired.asp

Big points here: Original writer is Robert A. Hall, not Robert D. Hall.

Robert A. Hall is a Massachusetts state senator (Republican, of course). So, you know, if you feel like being a dick, throw some TAXACHUSETTS bullshit around or something. Fight stupid with stupid.

Robert D. Hall is an actor/musician/double amputee who plays the coroner on CSI. Not kidding about the amputee thing for people who haven't seen CSI. Dude's got no legs. Also, notably, did not lose them in Vietnam, since he wasn't there. It was a car accident.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dr Snofeld posted:

"Who gives a poo poo what happens to the world, I'm going to be dead!" The boomer mindset in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.
Given that the entire forward is complaining about what he (or whoever wrote it) sees as happening to the world, and the line immediately following is "I'm just sorry for my granddaughter," I don't think this is a credible characterization of the message.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Pity these people. Their lives are filled with irrational paranoia and fear. The world that they imagine is so different that the world that actually exists that it must be like living in a nightmare. What bothers me the most is that no matter how hard to shake them, they won't wake up. Sometimes I wonder if they really ever want to.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

My favourite was the complaint that media investigated Bush's war record while not pushing for Kerry to release all details. Yes I can't understand why the guy who spent a few years flying jets in Texas and portrayed himself as a warrior president was put under more scrutiny than the guy with a purple heart. Also did anyone ever complain about Bush exercising? I thought the objections were more that he got his exercise clearing scrubland on his multi-million dollar ranch in Texas for like 4 months a year.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I'm tired of grumpy old assholes who live better than 99.9% of all people throughout all of human history, whine about literally god damned everything. Stop whining, please.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

tek79 posted:

I'm tired of grumpy old assholes who live better than 99.9% of all people throughout all of human history, whine about literally god damned everything. Stop whining, please.

Who have the government giving them money and want to take that away for the next generation. Because, gently caress you got mine.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dominion posted:

It's even better when that person who saw someone buy filet mignon one time was simply making it up and never saw any such thing.

And you know what. Who gives a poo poo if they buy filet mignon with their EBT card. Are people with less money not allowed to enjoy a higher quality meat? Do they have to eat the most low grade steak available? It's not like you get that much worth of food stamps anyway. So if someone was buying filet Mignon that probably means they sacrificed something else to get it. Ignorance of foodstamps is the absolute worst.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The_Rob posted:

And you know what. Who gives a poo poo if they buy filet mignon with their EBT card. Are people with less money not allowed to enjoy a higher quality meat? Do they have to eat the most low grade steak available? It's not like you get that much worth of food stamps anyway. So if someone was buying filet Mignon that probably means they sacrificed something else to get it. Ignorance of foodstamps is the absolute worst.

No, you see, people on food stamps must only buy the cheapest food. Also they must buy the healthiest food, and I will brook no argument about the fact that those two things are almost never the same food.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The_Rob posted:

No see clearly these people make enough money to enjoy a decent standard but they spend all of it on luxuries like giant rims and gold teeth and then the FEDERAL GUBBMINT gives them ARE money so they can buy filet mignon while we have to get by on hamburger helper because we don't abuse the CORRUPT system.

Also people on any government assistance shouldn't be having any enjoyment whatsoever. There should be a private company the government pays to test their serotonin levels when they get their welfare and if there's any at all they should be refused their entitlement money that month because obviously they're wasting that money on stuff to have fun rather than things they need. This will cost hundreds of millions more than just giving people money and probably result in many false positives that mean people who need their money don't get it but by God if it stops one person getting anything more out of the system than they are absolutely entitled to it'll be worth it. :911:

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Dominion posted:

No, you see, people on food stamps must only buy the cheapest food. Also they must buy the healthiest food, and I will brook no argument about the fact that those two things are almost never the same food.

They should also be prohibited from buying foods that they like. If I have to feed people with MY tax dollars, I'll be damned if they enjoy it! :argh:

In fact, I support going as far to say that anyone recieving government assistance should not be allowed to enjoy anything. If they spend time enjoying any part of life they are leeching off our taxes when they could be out working another job!

e: Aw man, I was too slow. :(

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My favorite is the complaint about poor people having color tv's. We should regulate the TV industry so they have to produce a certain amount of non-profitable black and white tv's specifically so poor people won't buy them.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Grem posted:

My favorite is the complaint about poor people having color tv's. We should regulate the TV industry so they have to produce a certain amount of non-profitable black and white tv's specifically so poor people won't buy them.

Yeah they really need to update it for a modern audience. It just seems so painfully out of touch when they are make a big deal about :siren: COLOR :siren: tvs or cell phones. I mean how hard is it to just say iPhone or something.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

I'm tired of people telling me that their party has a corner on virtue and the other party has a corner on corruption. Read the papers; bums are bipartisan. And I'm tired of people telling me we need bipartisanship. I live in Illinois , where the " Illinois Combine" of Democrats has worked to loot the public for years. Not to mention the tax cheats in Obama's cabinet.

Both parties are corrupt but OBAMA DEMOCRAT THIEVES :arghfist::saddowns:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think the best way to respond to those who talk about drug testing welfare recipients and limiting the food they buy is to suggest we should do the same things to subsidized businesses and bailed-out banks.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grem posted:

They've updated it to whining about flatscreen TV's. They also throw in dishwashers too for some reason.

I think it's interesting that if spread across the lifetime of the TV, it's actually a very economical expense, even for a big TV.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Yeah they really need to update it for a modern audience. It just seems so painfully out of touch when they are make a big deal about :siren: COLOR :siren: tvs or cell phones. I mean how hard is it to just say iPhone or something.

Yeah, they didn't know they were poor when they didn't have iPhones and iPads back in 1970s.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Thenipwax posted:

Yeah, they didn't know they were poor when they didn't have iPhones and iPads back in 1970s.

Well, I assume that the relative cost of a tv has dropped since the 1970s so they can't really use that as a metric of wealth either... They are still basically complaining about products that didn't exist when they were younger.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The only moral entitlement is MY entitlement:

This is pretty incredulous. How can an individual be Judeo-Christian? Why would someone like this choose to overpay on his taxes?

But then again, well, Poe's Law.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I for one am tired of those lazy fuckers with Celiac's Disease mooching off MY TAX DOLLARS

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dr Snofeld posted:

"Who gives a poo poo what happens to the world, I'm going to be dead!" The boomer mindset in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

My favorite part is that he has NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER in how things are turning out. Old people don't vote after all.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

In my own curiousness as to what happens to unclaimed bodies, I stumbled across this gem: http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/121788674.html

quote:

Who pays for unclaimed bodies? You do

Dozens of bodies end up in the county's care each year and the service costs taxpayers. Over the past three years, Ada County spent an average of $45,800 each year on unclaimed bodies. Canyon County spent an average of $13,900 each year during that same time period.

God, those greedy unloved corpses sucking us tax payers dry.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

York_M_Chan posted:

God, those greedy unloved corpses sucking us tax payers dry.

Does America have anything similar to English "droits of the crown" whereby estates without inheritors go to the sovereign (or to the Prince of Wales if it's in the Duchy of Cornwall or Lancaster)?

e: apparently we're a first world country

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Enjoy posted:

Does America have anything similar to English "droits of the crown" whereby estates without inheritors go to the sovereign (or to the Prince of Wales if it's in the Duchy of Cornwall or Lancaster)?

e: apparently we're a first world country

That is actually what I was trying to find out when I came across that article. I believe that the county they died in holds onto the money until some successor comes along to claim it. But I don't really know.

Edit: Here is the law in Illinois: If there is no surviving spouse and no known kindred of the decedent: the real estate escheats to the county in which it is located; the personal estate physically located within this State and the personal estate physically located or held outside this State which is the subject of ancillary administration of an estate being administered within this State escheats to the county of which the decedent was a resident, or, if the decedent was not a resident of this State, to the county in which it is located; all other personal property of the decedent of every class and character, wherever situate, or the proceeds thereof, shall escheat to this State and be delivered to the Director of Financial Institutions of the State pursuant to the Uniform Disposition of Unclaimed Property Act. In no case is there any distinction between the kindred of the whole and the half blood.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 16, 2011

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Honestly, the thing that bothers me most about emails like these is that they almost always include some line like "this will never be publicized" or something, either explicitly or implicitly saying that the MAINSTREAM MEDIA wouldn't dare publish a Truth and Knowledge Bomb of that magnitude, when in reality the media is filled with people saying poo poo of the exact same caliber and tone as the emails every loving day.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Corbet posted:

I took a sociology class when I was in college and the professor came off as some type of hippie from the 70s. Shows that looks aren't everything - he was definitely a right-leaning libertarian. He would scoff at the government interfering in people's lives and would always end with "we have to do it... for the children. I mean what about the children?" in a sarcastic tone.

Yeah usually the right throws around that term all the time. I just love using it right back.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Taerkar posted:

Old people don't vote after all.
This is actually a fallacy, the aged are one of the most massively politically active demographics in the United States. There's a reason that the AARP is the second-largest lobby in the country (behind the Israel lobby).

It's just an entirely self-interested voting mentality, is all.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
He was being sarcastic :ssh:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TerminalSaint posted:

He was being sarcastic :ssh:
I'm dumb!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
After Syria started hitting the news I got this.

The attached picture was a really old one from after 9/11 of a muslim crowd holding PLEASE KICK OUR ASSES signs.
Everything about this just screams classy as gently caress.

quote:

Most Syrians struggle to even read Arabic, much less have a clue about reading English.
So, how do a group of Syrian protest leaders create the most impact with their signs by having the standard 'Death To Americans' (etc..) slogans printed in English?
Answer:
They simply hire an English-speaking civilian to translate and write their statements into English.
However, in this case, they were unaware that the 'civilian' insurance company employee hired for the job was a retired US Navy Chief! Obviously, the
Results were PRICELESS!
This picture is not doctored.

...Bus fare to anti-war protest rally - 50 cents
...Paint and canvas protest signs - $32
...Asking A retired US Navy Master Chief to translate your anti-American slogans -

PRICELESS
GO NAVY!!!!!

FREE Animations for your email - by IncrediMail! Click Here!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any accompanying documents contain
confidential information intended for a specific individual purpose. This
information is private and protected by law. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or
distribution, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this
information, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please delete it. Thank you.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Have you guys heard about how awesome it is to be an undocumented immigrant?

quote:

CHEAP LABOR? Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about? Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage. Consumers don't want expensive produce. Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs. But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth , a farce, and a lie. There is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children,

He takes a job for $5.00 or 6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent.
He qualifies for food stamps..
He qualifies for free (no deductible), no co-pay) health care.
His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.
He requires bilingual teachers and books.
He qualifies for relief from high energy bills...
If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at (our) taxpayer's expense .
He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.

Taxpayers provide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material. He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $30.00/hour in benefits.
Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills AND his. The American taxpayers also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up. Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people!

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Kubrick posted:

When this bullshit is brought up I just say... "Why is it the government's fault that American companies are taking advantage of illegal workers?"

"Well, the companies are just using a loophole to make an profit. That's not their fault."

Just like how a company moving it's business offshore to avoid paying Billions in American taxes is genius, while an Illegal not paying his $2,000 or what-have-you in income tax is criminal.

It never makes sense to me how these people think that companies can do no wrong in the pursuit to make a profit but the government aiding poverty stricken immigrants is terrible.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Kubrick posted:

So this should incite someone to actually petition the gov. to enforce labor laws? I'm all for it!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kubrick posted:

How much of this is actually true? Do illegal immigrants qualify for SSI/Food Stamps/Medicaid/Section 8 Housing?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So there is a new bit o bullshit floating around the office today that I investigated and put down.

"The federal government is forcing banks to give subprime mortgages to people with bad credit again!"

I thought about it for a second, went back to my desk and did a quick google for storys in the past month having to do with government and subprime mortgages. Lo and behold it is all over the blogosphere but not one single reputable news source. Even Fox didn't have it (But nation.foxnews did).

I went back to my coworker and asked for a source. He told me about some bank that wasn't lending in a community and the government stepped in and forced them to lend to people with bad credit.

I google again for that. I found one story.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_20/b4228031594062.htm

The government is cracking down on a bank that was obviously redlining a neighborhood. The begining wording in the article is clearly slanted to make it look like they only weren't giving to people with bad credit but if you read further, they were simply ignoring the poor neighborhoods.

Its hard to explain redlining to an up class white person =\ I grew up in an area that used to be redlined (one of the poorest neighborhoods in Memphis) and the when your house only costs 40,000 you should be able to get a loan as long as you have a steady job. But poor people can't even get credit cards so they can't build up their credit. The whole system is hosed in those areas.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 17, 2011

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Corbet posted:

How much of this is actually true? Do illegal immigrants qualify for SSI/Food Stamps/Medicaid/Section 8 Housing?

Assuming no fraud (beyond staying in the country illegally)-
Section 8: No
Food Stamps: Only if there is a US citizen in the house, like a child. Many don't know this though.
Medicaid: Yes, for emergency care, some long term things (cancer etc, situations vary).
SSI: No.
Section 8 Housing:No.
Assited School Lunch: Yes.
High Energy Bill stuff: No idea, maybe a low income bracket deal.
Public School: Yes, depending on the state you may qualify for in-state tuition.
Health, Life, Home, Health Insurance: Constantly worried about it.

The thing is that many illegal immigrants do not want to attract attention to themselves, so they will forgo even the services they are qualified for.

To address the overall tone of "Illegals are living high on the hog," it's difficult to imagine that opinion has any thought behind it. Imagine if you will that you can never get any credit at a rate less than 'deadly sin' usury. That you can never hold a job that will provide you with benefits unless you engage in identity theft. That almost every major expenditure has to be paid up front, and that you have no real recourse should one of those major purchases go awry. On top of this you probably pay taxes in the vain hope that one day amnesty will be granted, or just because it's the right thing to do. For your trouble we (most of the time) won't let you die if you're appendix is about to burst, and your kid gets to grow up in the US.

edit: more periods, fewer commas

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Whenever anyone complains about how good Illegal Aliens have it, I just ask them if they think it's such a sweet deal, they should give up their citizenship and work construction jobs as well.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

At $5-6/hour, that immigrant is raising 5 kids plus a wife on $10,000 to $12,000 a year, before any taxes, fees, and with holdings to their check. IF they are working full time. 40 hours a week, every week. Not paying car insurance? They likely do not have a car. If they do, it is old enough to buy booze without having to show ID. Not paying Home Insurance? Again.. try buying a home in this day and age for less then $100,000. This is not the 50s-60s, when a house would cost you $13,000, a car $2,200, and gas was 27 cents a gallon. That they do not pay Income Tax is a good thing. They are so on the edge of complete destitution that any relief likely means the difference between food and scavenging. But they have it sooo nice. gently caress off.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

winterwerefox posted:

At $5-6/hour, that immigrant is raising 5 kids plus a wife on $10,000 to $12,000 a year, before any taxes, fees, and with holdings to their check. IF they are working full time. 40 hours a week, every week. Not paying car insurance? They likely do not have a car. If they do, it is old enough to buy booze without having to show ID. Not paying Home Insurance? Again.. try buying a home in this day and age for less then $100,000. This is not the 50s-60s, when a house would cost you $13,000, a car $2,200, and gas was 27 cents a gallon. That they do not pay Income Tax is a good thing. They are so on the edge of complete destitution that any relief likely means the difference between food and scavenging. But they have it sooo nice. gently caress off.

They often do pay income tax on stolen identities, which they then don't file income tax returns for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

the posted:

Whenever anyone complains about how good Illegal Aliens have it, I just ask them if they think it's such a sweet deal, they should give up their citizenship and work construction jobs as well.

I've tried this with people, and the response is always "No, because that would be wrong and I am an honest working man, not a leech"