Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Why wouldn't you run MBAM in safe mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

coinstarpatrick posted:

-Some MWB staff member "This goes into areas where I cant say much without giving away the internal workings but MBAM is stronger from regular mode . This is by design as the majority of new malware runs from safemode so you gain nothing anyway .

Well, other than being able to run MBAM at all since most competent malware authors refuse to let you run programs other than the malware in regular mode.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I guess the implication is that MBAM relies to some extent on services that run in normal mode but not safe mode. Are there any likely suspects?

I wonder if it's related to their unwillingness to support running MBAM in a PE.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think the biggest lesson to take from MBAM vs. SAS is to run SAS in safe mode, do more cleaning, then run MBAM in normal mode to double-check you're clean just before the computer heads out the door. I've caught a few computers with nasty reinstalls, like one that I swear was timed to wait out four or five reboots before resintalling.

Hell, that's how I'd make a virus. It would also overclock your CRT and make it explode.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It actually used to be possible, back before sanity checking, to damage hardware given highly specific instructions, didn't it?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I think the biggest lesson to take from MBAM vs. SAS is to run SAS in safe mode, do more cleaning, then run MBAM in normal mode to double-check you're clean just before the computer heads out the door. I've caught a few computers with nasty reinstalls, like one that I swear was timed to wait out four or five reboots before resintalling.

This is a good policy, we do that here too. It's also gotten to the point on XP machines where we will rebuild the MBR and do a fixboot as part of policy just for the sake of ensuring there's no rootkit hiding out there.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Pope Guilty posted:

Well, other than being able to run MBAM at all since most competent malware authors refuse to let you run programs other than the malware in regular mode.

If you run Rkill first you will almost always be able to run MBAM right then and there from regular mode.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pope Guilty posted:

It actually used to be possible, back before sanity checking, to damage hardware given highly specific instructions, didn't it?

It still is; just ask Iran :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's fairly trivial to write malware for old old IBM PCs that would tell the hard drive head to repeatedly seek between certain invalid sectors until the arm was stuck and the drive rendered useless.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

CRT monitors could be damaged by forcing them to refresh too fast, and a ...Motorolla (I think?) CPU had an instruction that would trigger an infinite loop or something and actually overheat the CPU.

Here we go, some afternoon reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_poke

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Pope Guilty posted:

This is why rkill has a version that reports as iexplore.exe.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I have Snow Leopard running in a VM and I'd like to infect it with this new MAC Defender malware...anyone know of a site that will cause this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I have Snow Leopard running in a VM and I'd like to infect it with this new MAC Defender malware...anyone know of a site that will cause this?

I can't find a specific url, but it seems to all be coming through Google Images at this point.

It's a pretty boring piece of malware actually.

EDIT: This thread has a few URLs and search terms.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 21, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Really long and detailed PDF on the end-to-end analysis of how a spam network operates and generates income. The purpose of the study was to identify weaknesses and determine the best way to shut down a spam network.

I found this part pretty interesting:

quote:

Without an effective mechanism to transfer
consumer payments, it would be difficult to finance the
rest of the spam ecosystem. Moreover, there are only two
networks—Visa and Mastercard—that have the consumer
footprint in Western countries to reach spam’s principal
customers. While there are thousands of banks, the number
who are willing to knowingly process what the industry
calls “high-risk” transactions is far smaller. This situation
is dramatically reflected in Figure 5, which shows that just
three banks provide the payment servicing for over 95% of
the spam-advertised goods in our study.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Has anyone had Windows 7 Recovery delete all the shortcuts in c:\program data\all users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu? I helped a lady with her infection, and I was able to use the single-line attrib command from around page 50 to show the hidden files. Her Start Menu remained empty, and she had been backing up her profile and system only, not program data. Is it likely they were deleted, or simply moved somewhere?

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 25, 2011

obsidian440
Apr 15, 2004

Don't question god's choices.

Oddhair posted:

Has anyone had Windows 7 Recovery delete all the shortcuts in c:\program data\all users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu? I helped a lady with her infection, and I was able to use the single-line attrib command from around page 50 to show the hidden files. Her Start Menu remained empty, and she had been backing up her profile and system only, not program data. Is it likely they were deleted, or simply moved somewhere?

It moves the shortcuts to a random temp location, so if you've run any sort of temp file cleaner you probably deleted them by accident.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is Windows Security Essentials worth installing, or should I use Avast/AVGfree.

I just reinstalled windows, and always used Avast, but if WSE is actually decent now I'll use that.

Also - regarding MBR/rootkits, is just deleting the partitions and reformating not good enough?

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 25, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Alctel posted:

Is Windows Security Essentials worth installing, or should I use Avast/AVGfree.

Microsoft Security Essentials. Any other name is likely fake/spyware.

Also yes, it's very good, and since it's more integrated into Windows, program updates come in more reliably than other free antiviruses. Avast gets glitches where it sucks up all the system resources for a while for no apparent reason, and AVG has been crap for several major versions now.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.

Oddhair posted:

Dealt with this today, I just remade the missing shortcuts.

Edit, check %temp%

warning fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2011

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

warning posted:

Dealt with this today, I just remade the missing shortcuts.

Found mine in c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\smtmp\1\

It was well worth it due to how much stuff the boss has installed, and how busy he is. Now I have to call back the first person I helped with this, hopefully her stuff is still there.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Oddhair posted:

Found mine in c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\smtmp\1\

It was well worth it due to how much stuff the boss has installed, and how busy he is. Now I have to call back the first person I helped with this, hopefully her stuff is still there.

:monocle:

Great find you guys, just saved me a shitload of work too

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
My sister is saying she just got an infection from simply clicking on an image from google image search using Chrome as her browser. She says didn't install anything, it installed without any prompts. She's using Microsoft Security Essentials as her anti-virus.

I haven't been keeping up the current state of malware. Is it really this bad these days or is she not telling me the whole truth?

Either way, I had her boot into safe mode and she's scanning with SuperAntiSpyware now. I'm going to have her follow it up with Malwarebytes in both safe and normal mode. Anything else I should have her do?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yeah, one of the most popular attacks right now is seeding GIS results with SEO bullshit that leads to sites hosting malware (which gets in through a plug-in like Flash, most likely) or XSS attacks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New version of that Mac trojan is out, this time installation does not require an administrator password.

MacRumors.com posted:

Unlike the previous variants of this fake antivirus,no administrator’s password is required to install this program. Since any user with an administrator’s account – the default if there is just one user on a Mac – can install software in the Applications folder, a password is not needed. This package installs an application – the downloader – named avRunner, which then launches automatically. At the same time, the installation package deletes itself from the user’s Mac, so no traces of the original installer are left behind.

The second part of the malware is a new version of the MacDefender application called MacGuard. This is downloaded by the avRunner application from an IP address that is hidden in an image file in the avRunner application’s Resources folder. (The IP address is hidden using a simple form of steganography.) Intego VirusBarrier X6’s Anti-Spyware feature detects this operation:
Intego considers that the risk for this new variant to be medium, in part because the SEO poisoning has been very efficient in leading Mac users to booby-trapped pages, but also because no password is required to install this variant.

While the original variant was categorized as a "low" threat because it requires users to type in an administrator password, the latest version is considered more dangerous, and was ranked with a "medium" risk.

The malware has spread through search engines like Google via a method known as "SEO poisoning." Using this technique, phony sites are designed to game search engine algorithms and show up when users search for certain topics.

Now, to be fair the malware still requires the user to go through the setup process; it does not automatically drop any files on the system. The frightening this is that the original Mac Defender trojan is built from a malware kit selling for around $1k so we're bound to see plenty of variants popping up soon, building on the strengths of the previous version..

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Crossbar posted:

I haven't been keeping up the current state of malware. Is it really this bad these days or is she not telling me the whole truth?

It really is that bad, and a lot of nasty poo poo has been getting into legit ad networks. Besides cleaning out that infection impress upon her how imperative it is to keep Flash, Java, and Adobe Reader up to date because those are the major infection vectors of the moment.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Am I protected from the new MacDefender crap if I'm using Firefox or Chrome rather than Safari? (because they don't open dmg files automatically, which I guess I should disable in Safari as soon as possible :-S)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Malware distributors are going to take any major news item and use SEO bullshit both in GIS, and normal search results, to bump up their infected sites on the list. Googling for a major news story is risky business nowadays, it really is that bad. Combine that with malware distributors finding ways to compromise or trick legitimate ad networks(this includes ad networks owned by both microsoft and google, for gently caress's sake) into serving up infected ads, and lots of people are going to get poo poo on their computer without doing anything all that unreasonable.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

pienipple posted:

It really is that bad, and a lot of nasty poo poo has been getting into legit ad networks. Besides cleaning out that infection impress upon her how imperative it is to keep Flash, Java, and Adobe Reader up to date because those are the major infection vectors of the moment.
gently caress, that is brutal.

I just installed Windows 7 on their computer about 2 weeks ago and did my best to make sure everything would auto-update. I specifically installed Chrome so that Flash would always be up to date and didn't install Java since they didn't need it. I think I installed Sumatra PDF so they didn't have to worry about updating Reader.

My sister asked what she can do to avoid this in the future and I didn't know what to tell her :(

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm pretty impressed with how big a pain these programs can make themselves even on a system with all the proper UAC enabled in 7.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

J posted:

Malware distributors are going to take any major news item and use SEO bullshit both in GIS, and normal search results, to bump up their infected sites on the list. Googling for a major news story is risky business nowadays, it really is that bad. Combine that with malware distributors finding ways to compromise or trick legitimate ad networks(this includes ad networks owned by both microsoft and google, for gently caress's sake) into serving up infected ads, and lots of people are going to get poo poo on their computer without doing anything all that unreasonable.
One of my coworkers got hit while looking for door hardware on GIS, which isn't the most common of things to be searching for. Luckily MSSE caught it and nuked it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

FCKGW posted:

The frightening this is that the original Mac Defender trojan is built from a malware kit selling for around $1k so we're bound to see plenty of variants popping up soon, building on the strengths of the previous version.

"Malware kit"? Really? I mean, there's being a jerk and then there's being a goddamn rear end in a top hat. :wtc:

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

m2pt5 posted:

"Malware kit"? Really? I mean, there's being a jerk and then there's being a goddamn rear end in a top hat. :wtc:

Ever notice how all the malware that hits Windows machines is always "Win Security 2011"? And then a week later it's "Microsoft Security 2011"? Congratulations, it's a malware kit! Change a few words on a template, change the randomization scheme and you just made a new rogue that can't be detected (one big reason why signature detection doesn't work).

co199 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 26, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

co199 posted:

Ever notice how all the malware that hits Windows machines is always "Win Security 2011"? And then a week later it's "Microsoft Security 2011"? Congratulations, it's a malware kit! Change a few words on a template, change the randomization scheme and you just made a new rogue that can't be detected (one big reason why heuristic detection doesn't work).

Don't you mean signature detection?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Don't you mean signature detection?

Yeah, sorry. I get my terms mixed up sometimes.

co199 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

m2pt5 posted:

Yeah, malware kits have been around on the Windows side for a while, but this new Mac Defender is from the first kit written for OSX.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, malware kits have been around on the Windows side for a while, but this new Mac Defender is from the first kit written for OSX.

I think you probably mean the first publicly available kit. The first Windows kits were kept private and unknown before the first publicly known ones came out.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Early this morning one of my secondary gmail accounts e-mailed my primary account and several other addresses (all addresses I had previously sent to, I think) with spam. MSE and MBAM turn up clean on both of my computers (the only ones I can recall entering the compromised account's password on), and I've changed the password on both of my gmail accounts. It's unlikely I'll discover how the account was compromised, but are there any other actions I should take to prevent continued access to my accounts?

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

co199 posted:

Ever notice how all the malware that hits Windows machines is always "Win Security 2011"? And then a week later it's "Microsoft Security 2011"? Congratulations, it's a malware kit! Change a few words on a template, change the randomization scheme and you just made a new rogue that can't be detected (one big reason why signature detection doesn't work).

Detection is hard because the authors are manually updating the obfuscation they use on the code. It doesn't have too much to do with the name or branding of the fake AV program itself, and the creation kits can't usually make changes that break detection signatures (except straight checksums) -- it takes a human author to do that.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
Just got a call from a tech who is very technically sound who claims a new variant of Windows Recovery deleted the users documents. He did also mention that the user may have tried some things on his own before he gave the laptop to IT.

Looks like this one is getting some nasty variants real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

BillWh0re posted:

Detection is hard because the authors are manually updating the obfuscation they use on the code. It doesn't have too much to do with the name or branding of the fake AV program itself, and the creation kits can't usually make changes that break detection signatures (except straight checksums) -- it takes a human author to do that.

That's true, and I was over simplifying the process. I've been out of the research game for a couple years now so I don't have the details I used to. That being said, it's really hard to find an explanation for a customer when they ask "well why didn't xxx program detect this?" The "malware kit", while not 100% correct, works when you're dealing with someone who doesn't give a poo poo about the technical details and just wants an answer. Hell, it's a better answer than a bunch of other shops around here give, which is "because that one is a bad AV program, buy this one". Neither answer solves the problem, but one doesn't cost the customer unnecessary money.

• Locked thread