Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

DJCobol posted:

My review of the Tenba Shootout medium backpack. I was looking for a DSLR backpack that would allow me to store a camera body w/ a decent sized lens (200+ mm) attached, as well as other lenses, accessories, and most importantly, a 17" laptop.

I am about to pull the trigger on this bag in the Small version over the Lowepro Runner 350 AW (what do yo think? Good idea?) if the straps come off like your medium bag. The website says the small is identical to all the other bags in every way except for size, but it doesn't confirm that the straps are removable. Any insight on this? I am assuming that description means what I want it to mean, but I'd like to be 100% before I order it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Now I am lOoking at the Burton Focus Pack instead but no one in town ses to have it in stock. Anyone ever seen or used this bag??

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You guys weren't kidding about the $7 million's weatherproofing. Got caught in a downpour at a lacrosse game and it held up great. I was a bit worried about my moleskine in that little pocket near the shoulder strap but it stayed bone dry.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I never understood the hubbub about rain covers. Fat load of good it'll do ya when you can't get anything out of the bag with it on.

Do wash+respray the crumpler shell when waters stops rolling off of it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah I never understood the hubbub about rain covers. Fat load of good it'll do ya when you can't get anything out of the bag with it on.

Do wash+respray the crumpler shell when waters stops rolling off of it.

Anything specific I should wash it with or avoid using?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I got the LowePro Flipside 200 about a week ago. I was looking for a compact, sturdy bag that would house my 7D + 70-200 and a prime, my wallet, and keys. It does that well.

Pros:
It's small and compact, so it's easy to get around very crowded events (I went to a number of tournaments last weekend).
It's reasonably water-resistant.
It has a tripod holder and strap that I use for my monopod.
The interior dividers and bag are all removable/rearrangable.

Pro-and-con:
The only way to open the bag is from the part that's against your back. No fast access -- this is definitely more of a travel pack. However, with the bag like this, nobody's going to be stealing your gear by unzipping while you walk.

Cons:
The strap sizing is more like a child's backpack.
The cross straps are just single thin straps, rather than something sturdier, and feel cheap.
This backpack is very, very compact. I took out the top bag to fit in my 7D + 70-200 and strap and it feels... very tight.
When the bag is full, the side pockets are essentially useless because you can't fit anything in.

I'm finding myself wishing that I had bought a 400 for more space and more comfortable straps. I also often wish that I had more of a general-use camera backpack, so that I could put my work materials in there too and take my camera for work in case I see anything interesting anywhere during the day.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

tarepanda posted:

I'm finding myself wishing that I had bought a 400 for more space and more comfortable straps. I also often wish that I had more of a general-use camera backpack, so that I could put my work materials in there too and take my camera for work in case I see anything interesting anywhere during the day.

I just ordered a Thinktank Retrospective 10 to replace a Flipside 300. The no fast-access thing was just a huge dealbreaker for me. I ended up not bringing my bag anywhere and only taking my camera with a single lens.

Speaking of, anyone want to buy a Flipside 300? :v:

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Got my Ari Marcopoulos for Incase bag a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I'm constantly amazed with the amount of stuff I can pack into that thing and how convenient the layout is for me. I always have anything I could possibly need with me. Price sucked but it wasn't that much more than your average bag in that range. Very happy with my decision. http://www.goincase.com/ari/

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Looking for a new strap to supplement/replace my default Canon EOS strap, which folds over and gets in the way of my face when I'm handholdin the camera in portrait mode. I've heard good things about the Blackrapid brand and I'm looking for a decent holding/support system, for doing things like sports events.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've been using the Black Rapid RS-4 for the last two weeks. It's great and works as advertised, once you get used to the little latches that hold your camera into place on the strap. I use the tripod mount with a 7D and 70-200, very secure and out-of-the-way.

If I were to buy a strap again, I'd go for the RS-7. The pockets on the RS-4 are laughably small and absolutely useless.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Going to the UK in two months, I want to get a sling that will hold my:

D90
Tamron 17-50
80-200 push/pull
SB-700

If there's room in there for a couple primes too, that's a nice bonus, but not necessary. The Retrospective 10 looks nice, but I think it might be slightly larger than what I need, I'm not entirely sure though.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Got my Ari Marcopoulos for Incase bag a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I'm constantly amazed with the amount of stuff I can pack into that thing and how convenient the layout is for me. I always have anything I could possibly need with me. Price sucked but it wasn't that much more than your average bag in that range. Very happy with my decision. http://www.goincase.com/ari/

Can you fit a 70-200 in it? I am considering either something like this or the TT retrospective 10 for long term travel (6+ mo) and am a little concerned about the velcro closing mechanism on the TT.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
I've been looking for a smaller bag, since the retrospective 30 is really huge and I don't feel like carrying all my gear around all the time, and I've been wondering if the Retrospective 5 is small enough/big enough to carry what I need. Basically 1 or 2 cameras or 1 or 2 lenses and a couple batteries and a cleaning cloth. No more no less.

I usually carry around either a 5D Mk.II or a 30V (roughly the same size), ungripped. My biggest lens is the 24-70 and I usually complement it with a 50 or 85mm.

Anyone got one?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Auditore posted:

Looking for a new strap to supplement/replace my default Canon EOS strap, which folds over and gets in the way of my face when I'm handholdin the camera in portrait mode. I've heard good things about the Blackrapid brand and I'm looking for a decent holding/support system, for doing things like sports events.

I use the Blackrapid RS-7 at football games and I love it. It's crazy how fast/smooth it is.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Anything specific I should wash it with or avoid using?
Dunno. I just toss the shell in the machine at 30C with pretty soft soap.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Can you fit a 70-200 in it? I am considering either something like this or the TT retrospective 10 for long term travel (6+ mo) and am a little concerned about the velcro closing mechanism on the TT.

I don't have one to test out but I think you shouldn't have a problem with it. There's enough space to make that happen. For reference, here is the promo video they launched where Ari fills up his bag. I know he says he designed the back slot for an iPad, but I fit my 11in macbook air in there no problem and I've even heard you can go up to 15in macbook and it won't be worse than just a tight fit. I heard the 17in is undoable though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA3a_5_SWzQ

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Maverique posted:

I've been looking for a smaller bag, since the retrospective 30 is really huge and I don't feel like carrying all my gear around all the time, and I've been wondering if the Retrospective 5 is small enough/big enough to carry what I need. Basically 1 or 2 cameras or 1 or 2 lenses and a couple batteries and a cleaning cloth. No more no less.

I usually carry around either a 5D Mk.II or a 30V (roughly the same size), ungripped. My biggest lens is the 24-70 and I usually complement it with a 50 or 85mm.

Anyone got one?

From what I've seen the 5 might be just big enough for 1 camera and 2 lenses. You should email Think Tank though. I emailed them with list of the gear I planned to carry (including future gear that I planned on getting), and they got back to me within a couple of days letting me know which bag would fit it all. Saved me from getting too big a bag, I ended up ordering the Retrospective 10 instead of the 30.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Okay, I'm going to Europe for 6 weeks this summer and I need a backpack that can hold:

Gripped 40D
Tamron 17-50
50MM 1.8
85MM 1.8
Gorilla Pod
Other small bullshit (phone charger etc)

I'd like to not pay Crumpler prices if possible. Minimal designs and reverse loading a plus.

Double bonus for single across the body strap.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 24, 2011

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
I used to use the Dakine Mission Photo before it got a little bit too small for what I wanted to carry when travelling/skiing. It looks to be around $100, eBay might be cheaper.

Note: In the Mission Photo, there isn't really any space inside apart from for the camera block. That photo lies.

It's basically a pretty descreet backpack which opens both from the top and from the back. I used to be able to slide my 15" laptop in the front compartment as well. It can definitely fit all of that gear in the camera block, only downside is that it didn't come with many small dividers to rearrange the camera block. It has both chest and waist straps. It can also function as a pretty good backpack as well.

Now I use the Burton f-stop, which is absolutely perfect for my needs.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I know you didn't want to spend a lot on a backpack, but I think you're going to be hard pressed to find something. You could always pick up an insert for another bag if you already have a bag that would work. The Fstop ICU's, Think Tank insert, Billingham insert, and Mountain Smith kit cube are all products that could all work for you if you already have a pack.

I've got the Fstop Loka, and while it did cost quite a bit, I now have a pack that will hold most of my camera gear and a few extra layers with some snacks comfortably thanks to the hiking style waist strap. This thing is perfect.

dexy
Mar 23, 2006

big cheese posted:

I used to use the Dakine Mission Photo

I picked one up off craigslist for $40 and it really is a great backpack. The best part is it doesn't look like a "photo bag" so I don't fell like people are looking at my bag knowing there is $6k of gear in it.

big cheese posted:

Note: In the Mission Photo, there isn't really any space inside apart from for the camera block. That photo lies.

Mine has a little bit of space, I can normally put a hat or hoodie up there. And Behind the camera block I either have my laptop or a reflector.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Studebaker Hawk posted:

A little late but... I've never had any issues with the velcro on my Retrospective 20 (the 10 is identical in that regard). It's really well made and never feels "cheesy." Being able to "silence" it is nice as well; not only does it eliminate noise but it makes the access faster.

orenji
Oct 12, 2009
Does anyone else find that crumpler bags shred up their clothes? I used to have a messenger bag, but sold it becuase It rubbed a hole in my JEANS where it used to hang (in about a month)! Maybe that's an extreme example, but it also pilled up my sweaters and whatever else it came into contact with. Are the camera bags likely to do the same?

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Can anyone recommend a bag for Mountain Biking, with a SLR?

Ideally, it needs (in order):

Space for a 60D and 18-200 IS
Waist and sternum strap
Decent level of protection for the camera (I'm not expecting bomb proof, if I fall off and land on the camera, there's not a lot that's going to help)
Quick access to the camera.
Insert for a Camelbak (or similar) hydration pouch
Space for a flash.

I'm really struggling to find something appropriate, that can take the camera and the pouch, but is still slim and stable enough to bike with.
I'm currently using a medium camelbak bag, but it's not very good with the camera in, either the camera moves too much and has no protection, or is far too slow to get to if I put the camera inside another case.

Anyone got any ideas?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
One of the LowePro Flipsides may work for you with the exception of quick access. I'm pretty sure you could fit a Camelbak into the top divider and have room for a 60D and 18-200. My Flipside 200 is the smallest they offer and I have room for my 7D, 70-200, 50 1.4, DS, charger, and some other random things. It's a tight fit, but it all goes in. It's also nice and compact.

If you go up two sizes, there's more vertical space, so you could put your Camelbak into the top or bottom, or realign the dividers to put it in the side or something.

The only problem, like I said before, is that there's no quick access. The Flipside opens on the back, so you have to take it off. That may be a dealbreaker for you.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

tarepanda posted:

One of the LowePro Flipsides may work for you with the exception of quick access. I'm pretty sure you could fit a Camelbak into the top divider and have room for a 60D and 18-200. My Flipside 200 is the smallest they offer and I have room for my 7D, 70-200, 50 1.4, DS, charger, and some other random things. It's a tight fit, but it all goes in. It's also nice and compact.

If you go up two sizes, there's more vertical space, so you could put your Camelbak into the top or bottom, or realign the dividers to put it in the side or something.

The only problem, like I said before, is that there's no quick access. The Flipside opens on the back, so you have to take it off. That may be a dealbreaker for you.

Aha, the 400 looks like it might work, might be able to get a pouch in the front pocket.

I'm not too bothered about having to take the bag off to get to the camera, it was more that my current approach means having to unzip 2 different bag/cases all the way, and then fight the camera out past various straps and things. It gets quite awkward once everything has shifted around.
The Flipside looks good, once I've taken the bag off, I can get the camera straight out and there's nothing else in the way.

I'll see if I can find one in a shop near me that I can try.

Thanks!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

orenji posted:

Does anyone else find that crumpler bags shred up their clothes? I used to have a messenger bag, but sold it becuase It rubbed a hole in my JEANS where it used to hang (in about a month)!
The most :black101: bag of them all.
The only problem I've ever had with them is when I put on a new pair of jeans before heading out with my Crumpler. The bag rubbed, and got blue. Came off in the wash.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

big cheese posted:

I used to use the Dakine Mission Photo before it got a little bit too small for what I wanted to carry when travelling/skiing. It looks to be around $100, eBay might be cheaper.

It's basically a pretty descreet backpack which opens both from the top and from the back. I used to be able to slide my 15" laptop in the front compartment as well. It can definitely fit all of that gear in the camera block, only downside is that it didn't come with many small dividers to rearrange the camera block. It has both chest and waist straps. It can also function as a pretty good backpack as well.

Now I use the Burton f-stop, which is absolutely perfect for my needs.

I actually own the Dakine Sequence (the bigger one) and they're great bags, it's just too big. I'll check out the Mission though.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RadioImp posted:

Can anyone recommend a bag for Mountain Biking, with a SLR?

Ideally, it needs (in order):

Space for a 60D and 18-200 IS
Waist and sternum strap
Decent level of protection for the camera (I'm not expecting bomb proof, if I fall off and land on the camera, there's not a lot that's going to help)
Quick access to the camera.
Insert for a Camelbak (or similar) hydration pouch
Space for a flash.

I'm really struggling to find something appropriate, that can take the camera and the pouch, but is still slim and stable enough to bike with.
I'm currently using a medium camelbak bag, but it's not very good with the camera in, either the camera moves too much and has no protection, or is far too slow to get to if I put the camera inside another case.

Anyone got any ideas?

I would think about getting a pelican or similar case and putting that inside a bag you can ride with.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
If anyone has thought about getting a handstrap for your DSLR, I want to pimp out the ones from Camdapter.com. I bought one recently and it was exactly what I had been looking for.

Camdapter Hand Strap by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Comfortable, takes the weight off the inside of my fingers, can access all the controls, doesn't block the battery compartment, doesn't require a gripped camera, can still use your tripod plate. More detail in the Flickr description.

http://www.camdapter.com/

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 26, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Recently I flew home to NY for a week. All of my luggage was torn and beat to hell so I went shopping for a new bag. This is not really a camera bag but it's pretty loving rad so I think it belongs here.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104

I managed to fit 5 days worth of clothes, a Hasselblad with additional lens, Polaroid 250 land, couple of paperbacks, 20 rolls of 120, and six packs of Polaroid film. I still had room for a few incidentals as well. It's very comfortable to carry even fully loaded. Highly recommended to anyone that needs a traveling bag.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is there a camera strap that has The Dorkroom blessing that has a good utility/price ratio?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I use the RS-4. It's definitely one of the nicer straps I've used. I wish I'd been able to get my hands on a Luma Loop to try one out... perhaps someone here has opinions on both.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
R-straps are nice. There are Chinese clones on eBay fir cheaper though I don't know how they perform. I still keep my canon strap around for when I'm also wearing a shoulder bag.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
I can't seem to quote using the awful app, but is that da kine mission photo posted up above the "black patches" color scheme? Amazon doesn't have a picture of that one for whatever reason.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
How does the Domke J803 compare to the F803 in terms of size and durability? I'm of average height but skinny as hell so I don't want something huge but not too small either. The nearest store that carries anything Domke is 100+ miles away, so checking it out in person isn't an option unfortunately. I'm wanting to fit in an FM2N with 2-3 smaller prime lenses plus either a tlr or a small rangefinder, and not much else besides some film and a small notebook. This bag isn't going to see any wars(hopefully) but I would like something that would last more than a couple of years of regular use and not look completely ragged.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

http://lonewolfstrap.tumblr.com/

lone wolf added a "how to order" thing to their page

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

http://lonewolfstrap.tumblr.com/

lone wolf added a "how to order" thing to their page

My inner hipster really wants the white with blue striped strap.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 31, 2011

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

The most :black101: bag of them all.
The only problem I've ever had with them is when I put on a new pair of jeans before heading out with my Crumpler. The bag rubbed, and got blue. Came off in the wash.

Mybe I'm a bit more pedantic about this kind of stuff. My bag actually rubbed a hole in one pair of jeans, and then made another pair look ridiculous - normal, all except for where the bag rubbed, which looked a different color. Has anyone had any success softening these bags up? They look cool, and do a great job, but I want my pants to remain in tact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Recommending the Lexerd TrueVue Anti-glare screen protector for the x100. For ~$20 you get two complete screen protector packages (I guess one is a backup?), each comes with a cleaning cloth, finger condoms, the screen protector and easy, non-engrish (looks to be made in the USA) instructions. Installation took about 30 seconds, fits exactly and I had no air bubbles.

I don't know if the anti-glare works (seems to, a bit), I was after the screen protection. It changes the texture of the back LCD slightly (I like it) and fingerprints seem less pronounced.

"Lexerd - Fujifilm FinePix X100 TrueVue Anti-glare Digital Camera Screen Protector (Dual Pack Bundle)":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UVCB20

Also got a couple of batteries. They shipped charged so I verified they fit and worked in the x100. I bought 2 for $25 and they are 1800mah so maybe they'll last a little longer than the stock.

"UltraLast ULNP95 Digital Camera Battery Pack for Fuji NP-95":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JC44AG

• Locked thread