Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Blinkman987 posted:

Did you answer "As a lawyer interviewing for employment with this firm, I must inform you that your questions violate federal and state laws."?

Canada doesn't have states (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

Canada doesn't have states (I think).

We have provinces and territories! :eng101:

Blinkman987 posted:

Did you answer "As a lawyer interviewing for employment with this firm, I must inform you that your questions violate federal and state laws."?

That's a ballsy move I wouldn't be comfortable with. Well, I guess it depends on how much I wanted the job. If I was getting a creep vibe, then I would do my best to avoid answering those questions. I think smaller (and more prestigious) firms get away with a lot more oddball questions. I got asked how old I am, which is a definite no no.

EDIT: Had my first getting fired dream last night. I think it's because I feel guilty about still working on my memo rather than being done it already. I will be working in fear today, especially whenever I hear my boss walk by. :ohdear:

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 17, 2011

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Lilosh posted:

Last final tomorrow, and then I'm a 2L. :hellyeah:

First act as a 2L (the following day): 10 day write-on competition :smith:

Yeah it's tough to start the writing competition right away, but it's worth it to really work hard at it for those 10 days. Good luck!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Penguins Like Pies posted:

That's a ballsy move I wouldn't be comfortable with. Well, I guess it depends on how much I wanted the job. If I was getting a creep vibe, then I would do my best to avoid answering those questions. I think smaller (and more prestigious) firms get away with a lot more oddball questions. I got asked how old I am, which is a definite no no.

Yeah, these were all questions asked by smaller and more eccentric people/firms. Any place with an HR department would never ask that, but nobody else really gives a gently caress (which I like).

quote:

Small criminal defence firm. To be fair, no one ever told me I had to stay for 11 hours each day but I was told I'm expected to work 50 to 60 hour weeks during my interview. I pretty much work the same hours as the articling student so as to blend in. The work's been really interesting and definitely challenging. I got sad today when I realized that I still have a year of school left. We'll see if I still feel the same way by the end of July. ha ha.

Finding articles in crim defence is so drat hard :smith: You're getting arguably the best summer experience, though. All the crim geeks in school were way more competent coming into 3L than others I knew.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
My classmate was asked if she'd like to have some coke with the interviewer (apparently "no" was the wrong answer)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
GULC recently added six new faculty members, let's see...

quote:

He received an A.B. cum laude in applied mathematics from Harvard and a J.D. magna cum laude from Harvard Law School,

quote:

J.D. from Yale Law School,

quote:

She received an A.B. summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Harvard, an M.A. from Yale, an M.P.A. from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government and a J.D. magna cum laude from Harvard Law School,

quote:

an M.A. in philosophy from Yale and a J.D. from Yale Law School,

quote:

graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School,

quote:

He graduated magna cum laude from Princeton University and with honors from Harvard Law School.

Lots of diversity in law professor hiring these days.

I always feel sad when I run into law students at schools other than HLS or Yale who think they are going to be law professors.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

entris posted:

Lots of diversity in law professor hiring these days.

I always feel sad when I run into law students at schools other than HLS or Yale who think they are going to be law professors.
Hey, a Michigan classmate of mind is a law professor somewhere.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Everyone's so excited about graduating.

All I can think of is that they have to spoon me two months of bar review to actually teach me the law.

MORE PIE.

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot
My girlfriend is getting ready to take the LSATs in October and is going to take a workshop with testmasters.net. She wanted to know from the infinite wisdom of the lawyers and students in this thread if testmasters.net (not .com) is legit. There is mixed reviews on Google about the company. Has anyone used it or is going to use it? Is it worth 1600 dollars? All these questions answered would be awesome and sorry if it's been stated before but this thread is massive.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

MORE PIE.
I forgot about this analogy. I like this analogy.

Pretend I did really well 1L year. And because of my personal situation I've decided not to attempt to transfer elsewhere. Should I expect the school to offer me $$ or is this something I need to pursue on my own? Is there anything I can do to make the money they want to offer me any larger? How should I go about doing this or approaching the situation generally? It's a state school if that makes any difference.

Also, thanks for the head's up on Secured Transactions. I've signed up and can't wait. The UCC is sexy. Quick question: I've heard from 2Ls at my school as well as from folks in this thread (specifically about ST but in passing about other classes as well) that upper-level courses have "real answers" or something similar -- but distinctly different from 1L classes. What does this mean? I've felt like - apart from arguing for a different jurisdictional standard - my 1L classes always had a right answer. You just had to argue each point along the way to getting there in order to show your work. Is there just less tolerance for bullshit arguments? Is it really a 2 + 2 = 4 situation?

Also, OCI 2L year is looking a bit iffy. Last year there were a lot of interviews but not a lot of offers. Talking with some folks who were in the know, the number of employers who had signed up to interview this year were even less by the beginning of exams of this year. Not encouraging. Needless to say, I want a goddamn job (take a number, I suppose). Would it be prudent to fly solo and hit up firms on my own? Will my material just get thrown into a trash bin? I was thinking Mid-July to Early August to start my application cycle for 2L summer. Is this even close to the right time of doing it? Anyone care to share any tips as to good hooks that make interviewers at least want to kill ten minutes of their time by meeting with you?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Deception posted:

My girlfriend is getting ready to take the LSATs in October and is going to take a workshop with testmasters.net. She wanted to know from the infinite wisdom of the lawyers and students in this thread if testmasters.net (not .com) is legit. There is mixed reviews on Google about the company. Has anyone used it or is going to use it? Is it worth 1600 dollars? All these questions answered would be awesome and sorry if it's been stated before but this thread is massive.

If she's spending that much money, go with Kaplan. They're the bee's knees when it comes to LSAT prep. There's no need to gamble with some shoddy website.

Also, break up with her if she goes to law school. If she's that dumb she's not worth it. Unless she gets a full ride, or T14 with a scholarship. Even then it's iffy.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 18, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

If she's spending that much money, go with Kaplan. They're the bee's knees when it comes to LSAT prep.

Also, break up with her if she goes to law school. If she's that dumb she's not worth it. Unless she gets a full ride, or T14 with a scholarship. Even then it's iffy.
Unless it is Yale with a full scholarship. Then ride the gravy train.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Deception posted:

Testmasters is actually legit. I did their course and look at me, I'm a Lawgoons Success Story!* On the other hand, I recall paying like $400 for it and my year being the last year it wasn't embroiled in massive legal troubles so your mileage may vary.

*Success story pending.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Deception posted:

I did a test prep course (not Testmasters) and it was a waste of time and money. Definitely gave me a false sense of security and I did terrible my first LSAT. Nothing beats Powerscore and diligent practice testing, and the second time around went a lot better. All that said I do know it can work for some people, but I think individual study should be where people start.

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot

BigHead posted:

If she's spending that much money, go with Kaplan. They're the bee's knees when it comes to LSAT prep. There's no need to gamble with some shoddy website.

I told her to read this thread a million times, she refuses to read it. Maybe she will when she sees what some of you posted about testmasters. Shes was going to do Kaplans but saw testmasters website and noticed that it may be better to do it there. However, based on some of your answers it may not be the best idea to do it. Shes is going to be enrolled at Chapel hill for law school because she did her undergraduate there. She may get a full ride but based on our state right now that may be a distant possibility. Her grades are close to a 4.0 right now and shes a double major, I have faith she can pull it off, but when I read this thread I certainly have my doubts.

Also, thank you for all the answers, any other input on testmasters.net would be awesome, otherwise I'll tell her to pocket her money.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Green Crayons posted:

Also, thanks for the head's up on Secured Transactions. I've signed up and can't wait. The UCC is sexy. Quick question: I've heard from 2Ls at my school as well as from folks in this thread (specifically about ST but in passing about other classes as well) that upper-level courses have "real answers" or something similar -- but distinctly different from 1L classes. What does this mean? I've felt like - apart from arguing for a different jurisdictional standard - my 1L classes always had a right answer. You just had to argue each point along the way to getting there in order to show your work. Is there just less tolerance for bullshit arguments? Is it really a 2 + 2 = 4 situation?

It absolutely is, 1L has broken your brain. It's on the level of "P has no copy of the note, they lose" or "Repo man opened the garage door to get the car, he loses" instead of the retarded analyses you have to do in every other class.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

diospadre posted:

It absolutely is, 1L has broken your brain.
Why would they do this to me? :ohdear:

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Deception posted:

Shes is going to be enrolled at Chapel hill for law school because she did her undergraduate there. She may get a full ride but based on our state right now that may be a distant possibility. Her grades are close to a 4.0 right now and shes a double major, I have faith she can pull it off, but when I read this thread I certainly have my doubts.

She is a moron and you are the inferior Deception.

(Seriously, limiting herself to a "low" law school like that, before the LSAT, is a bad idea)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Deception posted:

I told her to read this thread a million times, she refuses to read it. Maybe she will when she sees what some of you posted about testmasters. Shes was going to do Kaplans but saw testmasters website and noticed that it may be better to do it there. However, based on some of your answers it may not be the best idea to do it. Shes is going to be enrolled at Chapel hill for law school because she did her undergraduate there. She may get a full ride but based on our state right now that may be a distant possibility. Her grades are close to a 4.0 right now and shes a double major, I have faith she can pull it off, but when I read this thread I certainly have my doubts.

Also, thank you for all the answers, any other input on testmasters.net would be awesome, otherwise I'll tell her to pocket her money.

What is she having trouble with. Has she taken a practice LSAT yet. Was it a real LSAT from the LSAC website. These are questions that are important to answer for folks to give advice.

If she hasn't taken a practice diagnostic yet with a real LSAT then she should stop because she is doing it wrong.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Deception posted:

If she has a 4.0 and the LSAT to get into Duke, the only excuse she has to go to UNC is if she gets a full ride. If she goes to UNC without a full ride and with the stats to get into Duke, punch her in the boob really hard then dump her.

Going to Duke is not a terrible option, especially if she gets a scholarship. Going to UNC with a full ride is not a terrible option. Any other option is really, really terrible.

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot
Chapel Hill is considered that bad? Holy poo poo I guess I've been living under a rock or I just haven't researched it enough. Thanks for the insight. As for the other questions asked, no to the practice, she wants to jump right in, get the workshop done, and take the LSAT. This is great knowledge though, there is literally 0 advisers at UNC that give a poo poo about the law program they offer and shes been given no direction. My negativity on law school was high a year ago when I told her about this thread so she tends not to listen to me about the whole thing but if people direct reason to her in a fashion like this maybe she'll take other law students or lawyers word instead of mine. I'll make her read these if anything.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Finding articles in crim defence is so drat hard :smith: You're getting arguably the best summer experience, though. All the crim geeks in school were way more competent coming into 3L than others I knew.

I'm one of the "lucky" crim people in my year in that I worked for my school's version of a criminal legal clinic and I've already ran a few trials. I'm sure only 12 people in my year want to do crim, but at least I'm in the "top half" in terms of experience. I keep hoping the combination of experience and personality outweighs my grades. So far, so good.

I just found out my best friend and I are shortlisted for the same job. We were under the impression that there were two positions available but it looks like there's only one. We are basically the same person with the same experiences, except all she wants to do is crim whereas I'm opened to trying other areas of law (which is what this position is more about). Unfortunately, she has better grades. :eng99:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Deception posted:

At least you don't have to deal with the hassle having a girlfriend who is smarter than you.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Deception posted:

Chapel Hill is considered that bad? Holy poo poo I guess I've been living under a rock or I just haven't researched it enough. Thanks for the insight. As for the other questions asked, no to the practice, she wants to jump right in, get the workshop done, and take the LSAT.

She's dumb. Listen. She is doing this wrong.

The LSAT is one of the single most important determinants in where she will attend law school, how much money she will get for attending (if any). At a minimum, hundreds of thousands of dollars hang in the balance; more probably, her entire career.

I took my diagnostic and scored a 158. I was good at reading comprehension and logical reasoning but sucked at the games. I studied from the PowerScore Logic Games Bible for five months and brought my score to a 173. That's the difference between 75th and 99th percentile; that's the difference between median at East Bumfuck Law Institute and median at Harvard.

If she has her heart set on Chapel Hill just because she is in for a world of skullfuckery. But especially if her study route is to just "jump in" to a several hundred dollar test prep course for a test she's never taken, doesn't know what she'll be good in, and yet is incredibly important in determining the next few decades of her life. And she's not even downloading and printing the free June '07 diagnostic exam to figure out which sections she needs help on before she begins studying?

In fact - your girlfriend's attitude toward prepping for the LSAT is starkly similar to her attitude towards law school. Just jumping in and trying it for the gently caress of it. She's making an expensive mistake which, if she subsequently applies to law school, will in all likelihood lead to an enormously expensive enormous mistake.

get aaoout. get aooout now.

Petey fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 18, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
53th

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
76th

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

53th

Originally wrote 58th; revised to 53th.

No attention to detail: among many reasons why I did not end up attending law school.

e: welp it turns out that 158 is actually 74.8 percentile. No desire to research things before saying them, another reason.

Petey fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 18, 2011

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot

Petey posted:

She's dumb. Listen. She is doing this wrong.

The LSAT is one of the single most important determinants in where she will attend law school, how much money she will get for attending (if any). At a minimum, hundreds of thousands of dollars hang in the balance; more probably, her entire career.

I took my diagnostic and scored a 158. I was good at reading comprehension and logical reasoning but sucked at the games. I studied from the PowerScore Logic Games Bible for five months and brought my score to a 173. That's the difference between 53rd and 99th percentile; that's the difference between median at East Bumfuck Law Institute and median at Harvard.

If she has her heart set on Chapel Hill just because she is in for a world of skullfuckery. But especially if her study route is to just "jump in" to a several hundred dollar test prep course for a test she's never taken, doesn't know what she'll be good in, and yet is incredibly important in determining the next few decades of her life. And she's not even downloading and printing the free June '07 diagnostic exam to figure out which sections she needs help on before she begins studying?

In fact - your girlfriend's attitude toward prepping for the LSAT is starkly similar to her attitude towards law school. Just jumping in and trying it for the gently caress of it. She's making an expensive mistake which, if she subsequently applies to law school, will in all likelihood lead to an enormously expensive enormous mistake.

get aaoout. get aooout now.

I read a lot of your advice to her. I don't think she liked this one much haha. However, I can't tell her shes making a big mistake, this is something she needs to figure out on her own. What the hell do I know I want to be a counselor.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Deception posted:

I read a lot of your advice to her. I don't think she liked this one much haha. However, I can't tell her shes making a big mistake, this is something she needs to figure out on her own. What the hell do I know I want to be a counselor.
The problem is she's not going to realize its a mistake until she's given up 3 years of her life and $150,000. That's kind of an expensive lesson to figure out on your own.

Yell at her until she gets it!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Deception posted:

I was once in her shoes. The only two things that saved me were 1) this thread 2) the fact that my LSAT was in February and too late to apply almost anywhere. Other than that I would have been a goner.

If she's a special snowflake to whom you must speak nicely, then tell her that taking the diagnostic will allow her to better understand her potential, that she may be so good at some sections of the test that she doesn't need testmasters and that she can then focus her energies on improving in specific areas. It's not even necessarily that far from the truth maybe (no).

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Deception posted:

There are two very important things here that she does not understand:

1. Law schools only care about a very high LSAT and a very high GPA
2. Law firms and other employers of lawyers only care about a very well ranked school and a very high GPA from that school

If she goes to law school those four numbers will define her entire life and there is no escaping that. If she decides that she doesn't care (because people are telling her "No" and her brain is subconsciously shouting back "YES YES YES") then she will be a failure.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BigHead posted:

Wow, that's horrible advice. One or two people in here who have taught for Kaplan will disagree, but Kaplan and Princeton Review are known for teaching destructive strategies that limit performance. Testmasters and Robin Singh are well known for changing the LSAT prep industry by using actual problems and practice tests. They're also known for being really lame people. Still, Testmasters, Blueprint, and Powerscore (the second two being offshoots of TM) are the good nationwide companies. I can't personally tell you what they're like, but they've helped plenty of people tremendously. And yes, Testmasters.net is clearly the right Testmasters.

Edit: To clarify, I'm just saying the Kaplan vs. "some shoddy website" advice is horrible.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 18, 2011

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot

MoFauxHawk posted:

Wow, that's horrible advice. One or two people in here who have taught for Kaplan will disagree, but Kaplan and Princeton Review are known for teaching destructive strategies that limit performance. Testmasters and Robin Singh are well known for changing the LSAT prep industry by using actual problems and practice tests. They're also known for being really lame people. Still, Testmasters, Blueprint, and Powerscore (the second two being offshoots of TM) are the good nationwide companies. I can't personally tell you what they're like, but they've helped plenty of people tremendously. And yes, Testmasters.net is clearly the right Testmasters.

Edit: To clarify, I'm just saying the Kaplan vs. "some shoddy website" advice is horrible.

This is what I was really looking for in terms of Kaplan vs Testmasters. I will encourage her to do the diagnostic though, because that seems to be the overwhelming consensus.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Deception posted:

This is what I was really looking for in terms of Kaplan vs Testmasters. I will encourage her to do the diagnostic though, because that seems to be the overwhelming consensus.

The reasons MoFauxHawk puts forth for how Testmasters changed the industry (using actual tests and problems) is the reason why they are currently knee-deep in poo poo (they used them without paying LSAC for the license). Last I heard, they made you sign a contract forfeiting any money you pay if they were to suddenly dissolve or be forced to stop their program.

Also if she feels like taking an LSAT diagnostic is a meaningless hoop that logically has no bearing on her potential, well, she's not going to like law school.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MoFauxHawk posted:

Meh, sure. I was assuming testmasters (which I had never heard of) was the University of Phoenix of LSAT prep.

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot

The Warszawa posted:

The reasons MoFauxHawk puts forth for how Testmasters changed the industry (using actual tests and problems) is the reason why they are currently knee-deep in poo poo (they used them without paying LSAC for the license). Last I heard, they made you sign a contract forfeiting any money you pay if they were to suddenly dissolve or be forced to stop their program.

Also if she feels like taking an LSAT diagnostic is a meaningless hoop that logically has no bearing on her potential, well, she's not going to like law school.

No she just has no advice at all at chapel hill, like 0. I think if she had decent direction like what some of you are saying she would be set on the right path.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

53th

fifty-thirdth

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Deception posted:

No she just has no advice at all at chapel hill, like 0. I think if she had decent direction like what some of you are saying she would be set on the right path.

I would hope someone who wants to put so much money into a degree would do some research before doing so. If your girlfriend doesn't have initiative, even for something as simple as trying out a LSAT test, she's going to sink in law school. I didn't go to any admissions counselor at my school nor was I aware this thread existed and I managed to get on the "right" path.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Deception posted:

She needs to do independent research. No "pre-law" undergrad office is any good, even at the Ivies (Harvard and Yale may be exceptions because I'm pretty sure they let you matriculate directly to their law schools with >X number of minority scalps and proof of purchase).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Deception posted:

I can't tell her shes making a big mistake

You not only can, you must.