Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Why did I just find out how amazing the new castle stuff is now! I really want some of those battle packs, just to liven up my scenery, but they're so expensive on bricklink nowadays. Shame I couldn't've just found them in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevoh
Feb 17, 2011

InfinEight posted:

Those are some gorgeous cars and seriously impressive to look at. This isn't as impressive but I still like it:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=472872

Wow I feel really dumb. I thought the Porsches were it. I have to post these because these are just too cool not to:

This dude is really good at accurately mimicing the porportions and curves correctly. Lego should hire him!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Hey, it's Technic man! I remember him :allears:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Pyroclastic posted:

The 5000 piece one? The current minimum price on Bricklink is $850, and it's missing the box entirely. The cheapest with the box is at $1000. The cheapest Bricklink sale in the past 6 months has been $810 (although a new one sold for $400, but that's an obvious outlier).
On eBay, the cheapest sale has been $800 Buy it Now, but doesn't mention a box.

You can probably get $900 for it, easily.

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll wait until Christmas season and see if I can't fetch $1000 for it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Time Cowboy posted:

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll wait until Christmas season and see if I can't fetch $1000 for it.

You can get a lot more than 1k for it around Christmas.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Stevoh posted:

Wow I feel really dumb. I thought the Porsches were it. I have to post these because these are just too cool not to:

This dude is really good at accurately mimicing the porportions and curves correctly. Lego should hire him!

I really like his use of steering wheels for the Mercedes logo. That's amazing.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

AstroZamboni posted:

I really like his use of steering wheels for the Mercedes logo. That's amazing.

I'm NOT hating on the guy, his MOCs are amazing but the steering wheel Mercedes logo thing wasn't his idea.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

MaliciousOnion posted:

Hey, it's Technic man! I remember him :allears:

I have one, a cop. He is loving awesome. He was missing a limb or two when I found him after coming out of my dark age, so I bought the pieces off bricklink.

Hrm. I think I want to make a mech exoskeleton for him to drive...

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

Those are some gorgeous cars and seriously impressive to look at. This isn't as impressive but I still like it:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=472872

Wow. And here I was thinking all those giant fins and car hoods were next to useless.
I think I might rip this design off a little.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
I'm not really big on Legos ( although I used to be). But I will say this. I was very excited to find that Lego acquired the rights to Pirates of the Caribbean and while I doubt I'll buy any of the current sets they have out, I would be all over a Flying Dutchman set (bonus if it includes more crew members than just Davy Jones and Bootstrap Bill Turner)

I'm wondering, what are the chances of that getting a release? I mean they did design Davy Jones, his crew and his ship for the Lego PoTC video game, (which is a really fun game, but it has a nasty habit of freezing more often than I find acceptable)

One thing I did find out by looking at the current sets out is that one of the Dutchman's crew members got a toy release already. In the Water Wheel battle set, the crew member Hadras is present with the chest containing Jones' heart. Coincidentally, Hadras is probably the only major member of Jones' crew that did not have any merchandise depicting him, until now .

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Cryptobotanist posted:

Bootstrap Bill Turner

Just in case you missed it earlier in the thread, my little brother made this

and said he plans on a few more. I can't wait to see if he does Davy Jones.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Just in case you missed it earlier in the thread, my little brother made this

and said he plans on a few more. I can't wait to see if he does Davy Jones.

That seems like alot of fun to do. When I was younger I painted over standard fig heads sometimes to my liking. I think I might try again, only this time more elaborate, like your brother. I don't think I'll be nearly as good as him though.

In other news, and a small question:
I just had another shipment of lego come in. I had 40some bucks to spare and couldn't resist ordering some sets online that weren't in the shops anymore. I just finished building the first of them.
Lego 8112 Battle Arachnoid from the Exo-Force line.

When I saw it on the website I ordered from (brickshop.nl for you Dutchies, Belgians and Germans), it was on sale. Even at it's original price, it seems like a hell of a great deal.

I paid 7.95 (down from 9.95, and it's so big for it's price. When you look at similarly priced sets from other lines, it seems a lot more value for your buck.

Is that something that's typical for Exo-Force? And if so, which other lines are similarly priced. (I know to stay away from all the licenced stuff.)

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Lego has gone into space for the first time, with the delivery of a set to the ISS:

First Lego in Space

Bizology
Aug 30, 2004

Bananas... we haven't done Bananas!
Hey guys I have a large lot of Lego that I'm looking to sell. Just wondering what is the best way to go about it; Ebay, Brick Link or Awful Mart? The sets are complete, but most have been taken apart and stored in plastic containers. I can't really sell these individually as most of the parts are now mixed and it would take ages to rebuild it all.

For the folks that are curious, this is what I'm selling:

Star Wars:

8016 Hyena Droid Bomber
8015 Assassin Droids Battle Pack
8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack
7670 Hailfire Droid & Spider Droid
7668 Rebel Scout Speeder
7667 Imperial Dropship
8017 Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack
8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack
8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack
8086 Droid Tri-Fighter
7915 Imperial V-Wing Star Fighter
8036 Separatist Shuttle
7673 Magna Guard Starfighter
7678 Droid Gunship
7675 AT-TE Walker
7671 AT-AP Walker
8019 Republic Attack Suttle
8039 Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser
7669 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter

Creator:

4993 Cool Convertible
5867 Super Speedster
4997 Transport Ferry

City:

7685 Dozer

Technic:

8295 Telescopic Handler
8067 Mini Mobile Crane

Space Police:

5973 Hyperspeed Pursuit

Bionicle:

8699 Takanuva

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

benito posted:

Lego has gone into space for the first time, with the delivery of a set to the ISS:

First Lego in Space
They claim that teachers can get a set to build the same models and demonstrate to their students how they behave differently in zero gravity.

What I want to know is, where can I buy that set? That's one I'd definitely buy two (or three) of. A couple decades from now, that's going to be worth serious bucks.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

The Article posted:

I find it surprising that this is the first time that Lego models have been brought up to space, but there's a reason for it: Missing pieces.
This just in, first lego stepped on in space!

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 17, 2011

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Prokhor posted:

This just in, first lego stepped on in space!

It's neat to think about some of the potential if they didn't have to use the containment box. Glue a few big plates to the walls and ceiling and you can have buildings going "up" in every direction.

Also, it's pretty cool that she'll be building the ISS model inside the ISS. I guess you could put together the Empire State Building model in the real ESB, but it's not quite the achievement.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Taeke posted:

That seems like alot of fun to do. When I was younger I painted over standard fig heads sometimes to my liking. I think I might try again, only this time more elaborate, like your brother. I don't think I'll be nearly as good as him though.

(Also, Exo-Force)

I still have a little Superman I customized when I was younger. I did a Homer Simpson too, and come to think of it the Simpsons would be a phenomenal property for Lego to get involved with.

I got three of the Exoforce sets when I saw them in 5-below, including that spider. Most of the sets in the line are big robots with retardedly anime looking minifigs.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

If Lego would release the ISS set to the public, they'd make a killing. I need to make some teacher friends and get the instructions.

Holy poo poo one of her flutes was given to her by IAN ANDERSON of Jethro Tull.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

From those ISS sets,

The picture is titled "ISS living interior," but I don't think that tells the whole story...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

I still have a little Superman I customized when I was younger. I did a Homer Simpson too, and come to think of it the Simpsons would be a phenomenal property for Lego to get involved with.

I got three of the Exoforce sets when I saw them in 5-below, including that spider. Most of the sets in the line are big robots with retardedly anime looking minifigs.

Yeah, I was looking through the set and they're all butt-ugly, except for one or two other spider-like bad guys. My amazement is more about how drat cheap and fun this particular set is. 8 euros for a set that looks like it could cost 15-20 euros and people would still buy it. The bad guys robot dude isn't too bad either, I can definitely see him becoming useful.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Taeke posted:

Yeah, I was looking through the set and they're all butt-ugly, except for one or two other spider-like bad guys. My amazement is more about how drat cheap and fun this particular set is. 8 euros for a set that looks like it could cost 15-20 euros and people would still buy it. The bad guys robot dude isn't too bad either, I can definitely see him becoming useful.

I like how this set appears to use leftover hockey helmets from some shortlived sports theme from ages ago. And the red headband head is actually useful if you want to, say, give Batman red eyes.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
I blame exo-force for me missing the whole semi lord of the rings castle line. I was like on the verge of getting back into lego, but I went to the store and only saw this anime poo poo and was like ehhh, never mind. Then like three years later I get into them again right at the end of the Fantasy era stuff. drat you exo force!

Joudas fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 18, 2011

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Guzwar posted:

Holy poo poo one of her flutes was given to her by IAN ANDERSON of Jethro Tull.

I take it you missed the live duet the two of them played for Yuri's Night?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Joudas posted:

I blame exo-force for me missing the whole semi lord of the rings castle line. I was like on the verge of getting back into lego, but I went to the store and only saw this anime poo poo and was like ehhh, never mind. Then like three years later I get into them again right at the end of the Fantasy era stuff. drat you exo force!

Holy poo poo, this is exactly what happened to me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a good example out there of a to-scale Lego airliner that can fit the proper number of Lego men? The closest I've found is this but it doesn't look like it fits the 500+ or whatever the A380 can actually haul.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Exo-Force had this set:

And for that, I forgive all it's sins.

It's very Sophia The 3rd-with-tank-treads.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

bewbies posted:

Is there a good example out there of a to-scale Lego airliner that can fit the proper number of Lego men? The closest I've found is this but it doesn't look like it fits the 500+ or whatever the A380 can actually haul.

The guy answered that question in the article. Basically, it's impossible to do what you want, because the LEGO minifigs are very fat for their height. You either have to have less people inside the plane, or you have to have the proportions of the plane distorted.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Exo-Force had this set:

And for that, I forgive all it's sins.

It's very Sophia The 3rd-with-tank-treads.

Almost as good as an arachnoid-mounted anti-air cannon with a skeleton floating in a green bubble

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

einTier posted:

The guy answered that question in the article. Basically, it's impossible to do what you want, because the LEGO minifigs are very fat for their height. You either have to have less people inside the plane, or you have to have the proportions of the plane distorted.

Just make them all pay for two seats.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Got my freebie http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=30081-1 bonercopter today. The skeleton guy has little boots :3:

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
The free sets in the Sun are great.
Yesterday's had a ninja and SEVEN swords.

That means for £2 I got 8 Ninja's and 56 Swords.
Today's skelletons have no chance.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

einTier posted:

This is the bane of realistic modeling when you want to use figs. My Tiger and Sherman are both twice as high as they ought to be so I could build them wide enough to fit figs.

Minifigs are basically midgets with linebacker shoulders.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PopeOnARope posted:

Though it's definitely drop dead gorgeous, the lengthy stretch of trans-blue really evokes thoughts of other things. Have you thought of fitting it with a motor to simulate the vibration of weapons fire?

Yeah now that you mention it, it does look kind of like an R-type crossed with a core fighter :v:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Guzwar posted:

If Lego would release the ISS set to the public, they'd make a killing. I need to make some teacher friends and get the instructions.
What about homeschooled kids? Surely there's a way to get that stuff for them.... and consequently, for us.

A-ha! "The sets used in these activities include the LEGO Education Space and Airport Set and Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Set."

Requesting a catalog now...

Space and Airport is $131.95
Simple and Motorized Mechanisms Set is $136.95

Not cheap, though I'm pretty sure you could do without the Space and Airport set.

einTier fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 19, 2011

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Ever since that D&D party was posted a few pages ago, I've been holding my wallet at bay to not let myself go hog wild and stock up on weapons and accessories for a D&D game. So I broke open my boxes of LEGO and man, do I have a lot of classic space and castle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a crosspost for ya, the Cars 2 trailer done entirely in Lego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6PPvUhR4c&hd=1

This is the same fellow who made the "AT-AT's Day Off" and that one with the transforming General Lee made out of a Perfect Grade Gundam model kit, and some Bionicle stop-motion videos too.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

oneof27 posted:

Ever since that D&D party was posted a few pages ago, I've been holding my wallet at bay to not let myself go hog wild and stock up on weapons and accessories for a D&D game. So I broke open my boxes of LEGO and man, do I have a lot of classic space and castle.

We used to play Mordheim (a Warhammer Fantasy game, but instead of an army, you only command a single party of about 10 men) with Lego. Mainly because most of us couldn't model for poo poo, and partially because switching from a sword to an axe or flintlock pistol was a lot easier.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

oneof27 posted:

The new stuff blows the classic stuff out of the water, man. Just the quality of the printing on the faces and bodies is leagues better.

I got my D&D party sitting on my desk ;) I now also have a whole pirate crew chilling out too, because the girl I'm dating decided to buy me the Queen Annes Revenge out of no where :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I love seeing parts used in ways I never would have thought of on my own.

I doubt the 'tracks' actually work without pulling apart, but it looks neat. Then again it looks like he used those springy-sports legs so maybe they actually do work :aaa: