Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone coming to Nashville for the bout this coming Saturday?

Vette City and Jet City @ Nashville Rollergirls

Semi-Related:
Nashville has a very tough schedule this year compared to last year which doesn't make them look as good in the rankings but hopefully playing these higher caliber teams will help them improve in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

WindyMan posted:

WFTDA would be wise to see what the guys were doing too. If you think women were trying to bend the rules, you should have seen what the men were getting away with.

I had a friend on the GateKeepers, and another friend reffing with the NYSE, so I tuned in for the big game. It seemed to me like everyone was pushing the boundaries on elbows/forearms/etc.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I had a friend on the GateKeepers, and another friend reffing with the NYSE, so I tuned in for the big game. It seemed to me like everyone was pushing the boundaries on elbows/forearms/etc.
Yeah, men's roller derby definitely does the "elbow the poo poo out of people" thing. Basically any of the "keep your elbows in while you hit people" notions that should be enforced go straight out the window. Also, when people really dial in the hip checks (right above the knee where they should be), it gets called as a low block because only a very select few men know what the gently caress theyre doing and can actually hit that spot. From a ref's perspective, it's a "oh man he hit him really low, I've never seen that before and the guy went down like the legs went out from under him, welp, must be a low block since guys only go for power hits". Minor bitch, but yeah. It's kinda weird even trying to apply leaning and sitting on people's laps when the receiver is just going to try and hockey check you.

windyman's blog posted:

Skaters also wanted to play referee, trying to get refs to call no packs or disagreeing with penalties by looking at them and giving them hand signals while the jam was going on. Kind of bush league, if you ask me.
This stems from a couple of things. First, depending on the team, the players in a men's derby team usually are the refs for the local womens team. So they will call poo poo because well, the players are dudes and throw the macho "i know more than you" thing around. Second, during womens practices, the refs will show up for the scrimmage part to help train themselves. These refs are usually the players from the mens leagues. You can probably see where I'm going with this, but during guys practices, who shows up to ref? The guys who usually ref are playing the game. So during practice, at least in my league, it's a self-governed thing where we will ref ourselves during practice. Third, the refs who also play more often than not have already reffed with the current ref crew. I was able to pick out refs by name just by looking at them(i couldn't read their names, the feed was too low-res) during Spring Roll without the announcers mentioning who was reffing once. So it's more of a "are you serious?" challenge between refs and players who are refs who wouldn't call the thing they just did the same way as the ref who just did.

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 17, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Thought some of you might be interested in our new league's first promo video: http://youtu.be/xfC16uEPssA

I'd love any feedback at all.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Tonight's practice was pretty good for everyone but me. We had our first visiting skaters, a male from Thunder City and a woman from PennJersey. Both were super nice and gave us some great feedback.

I, however, sucked big time. I had no energy / endurance. Skating is no joke and I think my 4-mile skate trip on Sunday has done me in. Anyone have good exercises to help increase endurance? Just jumping in and out of the pace line seems like I'm annoying the other skaters.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

ODC posted:

Anyone have good exercises to help increase endurance? Just jumping in and out of the pace line seems like I'm annoying the other skaters.
Go back to that trail. Skate for a minute, then full blown sprint for as long as you can or up to two minutes, which is all you'll ever have to do unless you're playing extremely shorthanded in a bout. Now skate normal for a minute or however long it takes for your heart to not want to jump out of your chest. If you can't breathe, put your hands on top of your head with your elbows out sideways with your fingers interlocked. If you ever double over and put your hands on your knees, you're doing it wrong. Repeat until you either die or don't feel like doing it anymore. It's a basic High Intensity Interval drill, but it works.

Look into plyometric exercises if you don't have access to that trail. I do the P90X plyo routine when I can't skate outside and theres no rinks open (haha it rains all the time in New York, god drat it)

Oh, and make sure you're not eating like poo poo.

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 18, 2011

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

downtimejesus posted:

Go back to that trail. Skate for a minute, then full blown sprint for as long as you can or up to two minutes, which is all you'll ever have to do unless you're playing extremely shorthanded in a bout. Now skate normal for a minute or however long it takes for your heart to not want to jump out of your chest. If you can't breathe, put your hands on top of your head with your elbows out sideways with your fingers interlocked. If you ever double over and put your hands on your knees, you're doing it wrong. Repeat until you either die or don't feel like doing it anymore. It's a basic High Intensity Interval drill, but it works.

Look into plyometric exercises if you don't have access to that trail. I do the P90X plyo routine when I can't skate outside and theres no rinks open (haha it rains all the time in New York, god drat it)

Oh, and make sure you're not eating like poo poo.

Thanks, I thought HIIT might be the answer. I also have P90x Plyo, but just to make sure I'm getting better on my skates I'll probably stick to the trail. I've also drastically modified my diet for the better so I think I have that part covered.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Also, if you're looking to do any lifting, you pretty much want a hockey lifting routine (800 million squats and lunges)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Re: HIIT Training. I've been slacking off in forever with trying to do it, but it's really the way to go. Not just because it's really good for getting into shape fast, but the stop-start nature of roller derby makes it the perfect training.

downtimejesus posted:

Also, when people really dial in the hip checks (right above the knee where they should be), it gets called as a low block because only a very select few men know what the gently caress theyre doing and can actually hit that spot. From a ref's perspective, it's a "oh man he hit him really low, I've never seen that before and the guy went down like the legs went out from under him, welp, must be a low block since guys only go for power hits".

Good point. I did put in my blogpost that perhaps the rules for the guys need to be refined since more contact will naturally happen. Still, I saw a lot of knees coming forward and obviously sticking out, so it's not as if all of those calls weren't justified.

downtimejesus posted:

First, depending on the team, the players in a men's derby team usually are the refs for the local womens team. So they will call poo poo because well, the players are dudes and throw the macho "i know more than you" thing around.

Yeah, I'm well aware that many men's players also ref. But I didn't like the fact that they were looking for no-pack calls while simultaneously showing no interest in reforming the pack. Most of the time they knew that if they got the no-pack call while loitering at the rear of the engagement zone, their jammer would get a free pass at the front.

I continue to insist that the rules be changed in such a way so doing that would be impossible under all circumstances.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ODC posted:

Tonight's practice was pretty good for everyone but me. We had our first visiting skaters, a male from Thunder City and a woman from PennJersey. Both were super nice and gave us some great feedback.

I, however, sucked big time. I had no energy / endurance. Skating is no joke and I think my 4-mile skate trip on Sunday has done me in. Anyone have good exercises to help increase endurance? Just jumping in and out of the pace line seems like I'm annoying the other skaters.

There's an interval program for running called Couch to 5k which I was doing (on foot) for a while before I started up with the practices this year. I think it helped me a lot. Until it started raining all the time in the northeast, I was doing 25+ miles on skates each weekend. By the end of the trip, I'm not going that fast, but when I start out I just push myself hard as long as I can. I did C25k up through 25 minutes of running, though, which helps.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

There's an interval program for running called Couch to 5k which I was doing (on foot) for a while before I started up with the practices this year. I think it helped me a lot. Until it started raining all the time in the northeast, I was doing 25+ miles on skates each weekend. By the end of the trip, I'm not going that fast, but when I start out I just push myself hard as long as I can. I did C25k up through 25 minutes of running, though, which helps.

Yeah, I've done couch to 5k, I can really run all day if I wanted, its just that skating in a pace line gets my heart rate up higher than when I jog so just jogging alone isn't getting my heart rate high enough to help with my endurance at that elevated level. I really love the intensity of HIIT and have done it both running and biking before, so I think it'll probably be perfect for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ODC posted:

Yeah, I've done couch to 5k, I can really run all day if I wanted, its just that skating in a pace line gets my heart rate up higher than when I jog so just jogging alone isn't getting my heart rate high enough to help with my endurance at that elevated level. I really love the intensity of HIIT and have done it both running and biking before, so I think it'll probably be perfect for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I was suggesting doing it on skates. HIIT probably is better suited for derby, though. I'm more interested in speed over distance, which is pretty unlike derby pacing.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

downtimejesus posted:

If you can't breathe, put your hands on top of your head with your elbows out sideways with your fingers interlocked. If you ever double over and put your hands on your knees, you're doing it wrong. Repeat until you either die or don't feel like doing it anymore.

This is fine and good for training or whatever, but don't ever do this if you're tired at practice or at a game. Do the exact opposite. DO put your hands on your knees and bend over. There will be times in a game when you're gassed but don't need to skate flat out, and you'll want to be recovering while still in derby stance (i.e., the "wrong" way posited above). The last thing you want to do is telegraph to the bad guys that you're winded, because smart players will single you out for punishment.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Last night's practice was the exact opposite of Tuesdays. I was able to make it through the whole thing and keep up with the newer people. Better yet at the very end we do a pace line type thing with the slowest person up front all the way to the fastest in back. The person in front does their fastest 5 laps with everyone behind having to keep up with them. At the end of that 5 laps the person up front drops out and stretches. If you're slightly out of order and you start to pull away from the person behind you, you're whistled to drop back and it becomes that person's five laps since you're faster than them. I started out front and pulled away quickly so I had to drop back after half a lap, then again the next time I started I pulled away again after a lap and half and had to drop back. Finally I was in the right spot and had a ridiculously hard time finishing my 5, but I did it.

Last week I was barely able to do 5 laps and this week I did 15. Definitely seeing progress.

Banana Stickers
Jan 15, 2011
Did anyone see the Slaughterhouse vs Choice City (Colorado) bout this weekend? WTF happened, I can't get anyone to give me a straight answer and I'm dying to know! Sounded like there was a fight and both teams somehow ended up forfeiting?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Windyman, Pivots aren't required to line up on the pivot line by the rules. It's already been pointed out in the comments on your post, but I figured I'd mentioned it in case you don't read the comments. I saw the post linked from a derby friend outside my league on Facebook.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Yeah, I saw that comment. I thought that they were, my bad. Still, a lot of those jam starts were kind of a mess.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

WindyMan posted:

Yeah, I saw that comment. I thought that they were, my bad. Still, a lot of those jam starts were kind of a mess.

They usually do, but in reality, I don't see the significance of pivots in WFTDA. Aside from receiving star passes and getting to trigger false starts on non-pivots, they aren't special. I asked one of our skaters who said "I love being pivot" why, and her response was that they act as leader for the jam.

Given that the significance of being pivot is skater-imposed rather than special abilities granted by the rules, I don't see too much out of line with pivots starting in the middle of the pack. It seems like a more evolved look at pivoting. It's not that often you hand out false starts for pivot rules, and when you do, it can just as easily be a pivot getting her own teammate the minor.

I've watched teams panic because no one has the pivot panty on for a jam, which is kind of silly unless they really wanted to pass the star.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

As it is right now, the pivot position is really just like a "badge of honor" given to a top player. There is zero significance to the position, other than they're the player that gets a penalty when there's no blocker to single out for a pack infraction.

If pivots could actively go out and score without a star pass, or if the pivots became the anchors in the pack that defined its speed and bounds, then it would be something. But right now, it isn't.

So yeah, I guess it does make sense that pivots don't need to line up on the line. But in that case, what's the point of having pivots or a thing called a "pivot line" at all?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WindyMan posted:

So yeah, I guess it does make sense that pivots don't need to line up on the line. But in that case, what's the point of having pivots or a thing called a "pivot line" at all?

Well, the line could just as easily be called the "pack line" or something, the name doesn't matter too much. But you're right, there is not really any point in having a pivot at all under the current rules.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dominion posted:

Well, the line could just as easily be called the "pack line" or something, the name doesn't matter too much. But you're right, there is not really any point in having a pivot at all under the current rules.

I think you still need an outlet for a jammer who has been stuck jamming due to penalties for three jams for her star.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
WindyMan, just wanted to say that I'm seeing your website pop up in random places on Facebook. Recently it was your write up of men's derby from the men's league in town, so I know people are reading and discussing what you're saying here at least.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr. Powers posted:

I think you still need an outlet for a jammer who has been stuck jamming due to penalties for three jams for her star.

I think that outlet is "stop getting penalties". I don't mind the star pass as a rule, but I don't really have much sympathy for a jammer who is tired because they can't stay out of the box.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dominion posted:

I think that outlet is "stop getting penalties". I don't mind the star pass as a rule, but I don't really have much sympathy for a jammer who is tired because they can't stay out of the box.

I'd agree with you except that when I JR, I most often see this near the end of the game. A major can send them to the box to span into the next jam, a fourth minor can get them back into the box to skate a third jam, and in that last jam, they start getting sloppy because they're tired: cut, cut, low block because they fell, etc.

I'm not trying to give them a pass on the penalties they commit, but three jams in, they're going to be tired, and the only reliable way to not end up in the box again is to just stay out of everything, which essentially ends up a power jam for the other team. I've seen this a several times in our intraleague bouts.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I'd agree with you except that when I JR, I most often see this near the end of the game. A major can send them to the box to span into the next jam, a fourth minor can get them back into the box to skate a third jam, and in that last jam, they start getting sloppy because they're tired: cut, cut, low block because they fell, etc.

I'm not trying to give them a pass on the penalties they commit, but three jams in, they're going to be tired, and the only reliable way to not end up in the box again is to just stay out of everything, which essentially ends up a power jam for the other team. I've seen this a several times in our intraleague bouts.
Uh, if the jammer can't last for part of one jam without being sent to the box after multiple one-minute rests, they either shouldn't be jamming or the reffing is dogshit-awful.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

downtimejesus posted:

Uh, if the jammer can't last for part of one jam without being sent to the box after multiple one-minute rests, they either shouldn't be jamming or the reffing is dogshit-awful.

How on earth would that be indicative of bad reffing? Also, that's a good point. I'm not really sure why they seem to end up so tired, considering they are getting 90 seconds of rest (one minute in the box plus the 30 second intrajam time). It's probably more mental than physical. Anyway, I guess I'm too compassionate of a ref, still, because I feel bad when I'm reffing for someone like that. I also still cringe when someone takes a really hard hit (like, up off the ground hit).

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

How on earth would that be indicative of bad reffing?
Extreme cases of ref bias? I don't know. It's kind of an edge case anyway going major/4th minor/major, and that person probably gets benched off of jamming for the rest of the night for something like that.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

downtimejesus posted:

Extreme cases of ref bias? I don't know. It's kind of an edge case anyway going major/4th minor/major, and that person probably gets benched off of jamming for the rest of the night for something like that.

You might think it's an edge case, but I'd say it happens in 50% of the home team bouts/scrimmages I ref. Usually in the second period. It might even just be major/major/major, usually careless mistakes rather than poor hitting form.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr. Powers posted:

You might think it's an edge case, but I'd say it happens in 50% of the home team bouts/scrimmages I ref. Usually in the second period. It might even just be major/major/major, usually careless mistakes rather than poor hitting form.

I think I have seen a jammer skate 3 jams in a row due to penalty issues like, once ever.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either
Yeah I think I've seen it a couple times, but it's more the "two in a row" syndrome. Especially when poodling. Poodle-serve-whoops-major.

Though I do agree that if a jammer can't do it even with the minute or so downtime between each one, then maybe she should be benched for a bit.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ria posted:

Yeah I think I've seen it a couple times, but it's more the "two in a row" syndrome. Especially when poodling. Poodle-serve-whoops-major.

Though I do agree that if a jammer can't do it even with the minute or so downtime between each one, then maybe she should be benched for a bit.

Jammers don't poodle though. That would defeat the purpose. And also be impossible.

Ria
Sep 21, 2003

yeah, i have no idea either

Dominion posted:

Jammers don't poodle though. That would defeat the purpose. And also be impossible.

I just meant in general, not necessarily jammers. Two separate, though not exclusive, topics between my two lines. Sorry.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Here's a highlight video of hits from Spring Roll, its pretty well edited.
http://vimeo.com/24253411

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dominion posted:

Jammer with three minors stands in front of jammer line. Pack whistle blows. Jammer whistle blows. Jammer is given fourth minor and directed to the penalty box. There is a rules clarification that a blocker starting behind the jammer line is considered way in front of the pack. I would imagine that a jammer starting in front of the pivot line would be considered way behind the pack and not out of position (just dumb). They will definitely get a minor for touching past the jammer line, though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr. Powers posted:

Jammer with three minors stands in front of jammer line. Pack whistle blows. Jammer whistle blows. Jammer is given fourth minor and directed to the penalty box. There is a rules clarification that a blocker starting behind the jammer line is considered way in front of the pack. I would imagine that a jammer starting in front of the pivot line would be considered way behind the pack and not out of position (just dumb). They will definitely get a minor for touching past the jammer line, though.

Fair enough, it's not impossible. It would still be rather silly because the point of poodling is to clear your minors when you aren't jamming so you dont risk a power jam.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dominion posted:

Fair enough, it's not impossible. It would still be rather silly because the point of poodling is to clear your minors when you aren't jamming so you dont risk a power jam.

Completely agreed. edit: I'm surprised I don't see more poodling from our league. There was an interleague scrimmage that I was JR'ing and one of our skaters was sitting on 3 minors. She kept coming back up to jam with 3 minors. I really surprised me 1) that she didn't get her fourth minor in any of those jams, and 2) that she didn't poodle.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Never say poodling. It's a stupid name and confusing for most people.
It's an intentional fourth minor. Call it what it is. A lot of people consider it bad sportsmanship.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

How about cougaring?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Spookydonut posted:

It's an intentional fourth minor. Call it what it is. A lot of people consider it bad sportsmanship.

It's no worse sportsmanship than intentional fouling in basketball which is a completely accepted tactic that no one questions.

But yes, poodling is not as cool a term as cougaring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

The thing is, a lot of people call it poodling. That's the accepted vernacular for a lot of people, including those at DNN. Along with "cougaring," it's a tongue-in-cheek term for "collecting minors."

But what you said is all that's wrong with it. People in the derby circle will continue to use it regardless, because it fits perfectly in line with the current "derby culture." Never mind that it's a borderline inappropriate term (to some) and confusing to people who don't know derby.

The practice itself is also stupid, as I've explained countless times. I hate, hate, HATE how someone can wash their hands of their minor penalties when it's most convenient for them to do so. It's not bad sportsmanship, because it's in the rules that you can take a minor penalty. It's bad rules, more than anything.

Speaking of that, don't forget about the no-minors beta test games coming up at ECE next month. I can't see how that won't be made permanent for next year, since everyone already seems on board with it.

• Locked thread