Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Capskye posted:

The only things that really piss me off is that I didn't even get a chance to resolve the DFA, and I couldn't finish off the train. Oh well, so much for my run at this... :sigh:

It's the downside to an all-or-nothing attack, I'm afraid. :C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat, the train is still standing.

C'mon TildeATH, there's just two million-ish to go--give us a Hail Mary play.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's inside the building, right? They have to shoot it to get to him!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

drat, the train is still standing.

C'mon TildeATH, there's just two million-ish to go--give us a Hail Mary play.

Because that has worked so well for us in the past? :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Building Hex 0414 suffers damage (87/90 structure remains)! 300,000 c-bills in damage sustained!

G4 Home Guard Phoenix Hawk fires Large Laser at H4 Javelin (1 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 fog + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 10, hit right leg! Damage absorbed by building, 20,000 c-bills in damage sustained!
So does that initial hit do more damage than additional damage then? If that's true, I'd recommend for TildeATH to target as many building sections as possible next round.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Assassin took 79 damage (and 12 critical chances) unless I miscounted. 99 if you count the "20" damage from the self-explosion.

:drat:
That's some serious damage to be taken there... Probably would have wrecked even an Assault weight Mech... And all from Home Guard units, too. Guess that will give the Home Guard enough credit to get out from under Lestrade's criticisms. The Grasshopper that just showed up trashed it with laser action, then the Schreck sniped it with its PPC (holy poo poo that range!), and finally the Von Luckner that we all discounted shredded it with Autocannon and SRMs. Too bad you were a bit too slow in taking out the train though, as it probably would have put you above your property damage goals... Not enough damage quick enough there... Going for that DFA was definitely a mistake.

I guess it's up to the Javelin to fulfill the property damage requirements. Busting into the skyscraper is a good start. The enemy will do some damage by trying to shoot through it to hit you, racking up those C-bills. If that doesn't put you over the amount needed, your explosion when you finally do die certainly will. Wonder which Mechs will be the ones to take you out? Will it be that Home Guard Griffin? Seems fitting for a "raid" on Tharkad, I guess. It will give further gravitas to the Home Guard to get them out from under Lestrade's attempt to replace them...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Because that has worked so well for us in the past? :v:

So, Lt. Clover, how's your new job loading missile racks? :v:

I kid, I kid...:)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So does that initial hit do more damage than additional damage then? If that's true, I'd recommend for TildeATH to target as many building sections as possible next round.

Until the building collapses it will soak incoming fire, since he's inside it. I don't know if he can bring down two of the three he needs to bring it down though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
DFA was a pretty stupid choice there, pretty much the only way to fail in destroying the train. Oh well!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Capskye posted:

The only things that really piss me off is that I didn't even get a chance to resolve the DFA, and I couldn't finish off the train. Oh well, so much for my run at this... :sigh:

Vox Nihili posted:

DFA was a pretty stupid choice there, pretty much the only way to fail in destroying the train. Oh well!
My thoughts exactly. You should have just alpha-striked or kicked the thing, your subsequent thrashing at the hands of the Home Guard setting off the explosives that would have destroyed the train and put you guys over the property damage goal... Oh well, I guess. It all depends on the Javelin now.

landcollector posted:

By the way, my nomination for enemy MVP is the Home Guard Von Luckner. The way it simply tore apart our Assassin was glorious.
I can totally get behind this. We discounted it for so long, and then when it finally fires, it rips apart the Assassin, though I guess the Grasshopper tenderizing it beforehand helped a lot. Still, that was impressive.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
A DFA is never ever stupid. Either you pull it off, or 79 damage and 12 crits happens.

Both results own.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

A DFA is never ever stupid. Either you pull it off, or 79 damage and 12 crits happens.

Both results own.

For the spectators, hell yes.

For you and your teammates, not so much.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Well, I think our objectives are fait accompli at this point, assuming that H4's doomsplosion will be enough to take out more than one building hex. Can he walk further into the building? I'm curious how the structure rules work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Octatonic posted:

Well, I think our objectives are fait accompli at this point, assuming that H4's doomsplosion will be enough to take out more than one building hex. Can he walk further into the building? I'm curious how the structure rules work.

It won't be. The building hexes have 90 structure units, which is going to take some serious doing to get through. At this point, I'd say the mission is almost certainly a wash, barring a miracle.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

It won't be. The building hexes have 90 structure units, which is going to take some serious doing to get through. At this point, I'd say the mission is almost certainly a wash, barring a miracle.

Well, at least the end will be known fast and quick, as PTN only has to wait for instructions from one person now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

That all depends on whether we need to meet the property damage goal for this mission to succeed... It's not like Lestrade is going to have inspectors out on the streets of Tharkad counting all the damage caused, figure out that it was less than 30 million C-bills, and conclude it wasn't a real raid, using it to discredit the Home Guard and install dudes loyal to him instead of Archon Melissa... I mean, you guys did destroy a refinery and all the resultant property damage that caused...

Regardless of if we don't meet the property damage goal, we still got Clovis Holstein to unknowingly meet his real mom, make him curious of Heimdall, have him hand a note to the Archon, and destroy a statue of Lestrade, shaming him. That's got to matter in the long run, I guess. We'll have to wait and see how PTN fluffs all this out after the mission.

landcollector posted:

Well, at least the end will be known fast and quick, as PTN only has to wait for instructions from one person now.
This too. Hopefully, it will go as fast as it did with Muk last mission. Though I'm hoping that the outcome will of course be different.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Orders sent in. I doubt this will be drawn out like Muk's.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Yeah, unfortunately I don't think there's any way to get enough damage now. I hope this doesn't signal that the last mission started a trend of coming really close to completing the mission only to explode at the last possible minute.

I'm torn, because the goal oriented part of me says there have been some unnecessary moves that resulted in basically grasping defeat from the jaws of victory, but the rest of me just loves the idea of a foggy Tharkad night illuminated by exploding mechs flying through the air.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It's gonna end in tears one way or another.

Hopefully it's the way that involves completion of mission objectives.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Vox Nihili posted:

Consider an analogy: if this mission were about an artillery company, the mission objectives would be

pin down the enemy troops
cover the spy while he steals documents from the HQ
destroy the HQ once the spy is out
destroy an infantry regiment which is moving to attack the main force's flank
don't blow up the nearby military hospital
don't attack the armored division since the commanding officer has wavering loyalties.

At this point, the troops are pinned down, the spy is gone with the docs, the HQ is a smoldering ruin, the hospital is harried but still sound, the armored division hasn't felt a scratch, and you're calling the mission a wash because the regiment is "only" down to platoon strength.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Consider an analogy: if this mission were about an artillery company, the mission objectives would be

pin down the enemy troops
cover the spy while he steals documents from the HQ
destroy the HQ once the spy is out
destroy an infantry regiment which is moving to attack the main force's flank
don't blow up the nearby military hospital
don't attack the armored division since the commanding officer has wavering loyalties.

At this point, the troops are pinned down, the spy is gone with the docs, the HQ is a smoldering ruin, the hospital is harried but still sound, the armored division hasn't felt a scratch, and you're calling the mission a wash because the regiment is "only" down to platoon strength.

Except the "cause X amount of damage" was like the second objective they got, and the first one was basically a freebie. Carrying out a significant rampage is essentially the entire goal of the mission, and PTN defined successful as 30,000,000 in damage at minimum. Presumably, 30,000,000 is the threshold for a devastating breach of security vs. manageable losses in one of the characters' heads.

I think the way this works is that if they don't reach the arbitrary number, they get the unsuccessful or "less successful" resolution, regardless of the fact that they got close.

Yes, I'm being a downer.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
I kind of figure it more has to do with the amount of objectives accomplished, and which ones were: It's not a COMPLETE wash, but it is true that it won't be as successful as it could be had they managed to complete the 30,000,000.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Maybe if the Home Guard shot at the building a little, and then the SRMs cooked off, and then the mech blows up...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't suppose there's any chance of the Javelin finishing off the train?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

paragon1 posted:

I don't suppose there's any chance of the Javelin finishing off the train?

He would have to run past them all, and then somehow make it to the train when he blows up....

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
If he moves to 0415 and alpha strikes the hex he's in (I'm not sure if that's possible; if not, one of the adjacent hexes,) he should do significant damage. Meanwhile, the enemy units are shooting at him; they'll probably do enough damage to bring the building down upon him.

That might be good enough justification to set off the bombs, which will deal twenty points of damage to five hexes of that building. That might be enough to tip him over the limit.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Why did the building not absorb the Griffin's LRM fire?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Capskye... why did you dfa the train? what made that seem like a good idea?

Edit: those LRMS should have hit the building, the building ate a large laser strike 8 damage, 5 damage of lrms should not penetrate

fakeeditedit: last remaining guy, ATTACK THE BUILDING not the enemy, one hex of height 13 stuff should cover it, make it fall.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 18, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Imagine the glory had he pulled it off.....

What's done is done, stop judging what could be newbies on their first game, jeez.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

AtomikKrab posted:

If I may, he might have been thinking that the DFA would be resolved before the effects of the incoming fire. That doesn't even seem so strange; after all, 45 tons of falling metal should be 45 tons of falling metal whether it's being piloted at the time it falls or if it's a 45-ton collection of recently-disassociated parts... Because it's still 45 tons of freaking falling metal.

Unfortunately, BTech don't work that way.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Artificer posted:

Imagine the glory had he pulled it off.....

That's Clanner talk, there.

Not that I don't approve, mind you, but in the Inner Sphere we tend to be more goal-oriented than glory-oriented.

quote:

What's done is done, stop judging what could be newbies on their first game, jeez.

Well, he's probably annoyed because it seems very likely that the loss of the assassin for very little gain has quite possibly - maybe even probably - cost the players the game, at the eleventh hour, for the second mission in a row.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Capskye could have DFA'd another hex of the train and got some better bonuses against to hit.

:goonsay: maybe we should hand out lessons on how to survive in btech.

Edit edit: did the explosion remove the night penalty for a turn? can I get word on this ptn?

nm: grasshopper had floodlight active.

fakeedit: And yes, I am angry because capskye pulled defeat from the jaws of victory. its up the the last guy to drop a hex of the height 13.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 18, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Except the "cause X amount of damage" was like the second objective they got, and the first one was basically a freebie. Carrying out a significant rampage is essentially the entire goal of the mission, and PTN defined successful as 30,000,000 in damage at minimum. Presumably, 30,000,000 is the threshold for a devastating breach of security vs. manageable losses in one of the characters' heads.

I think the way this works is that if they don't reach the arbitrary number, they get the unsuccessful or "less successful" resolution, regardless of the fact that they got close.

Yes, I'm being a downer.

Well, anything that makes Clanners look incompetent in the eyes of the IS is a good thing. They won't know what hit them :black101:

Joking aside, this mission just like the last one was a lot of fun. Maybe it's because I'm not playing myself, but I think everyone is doing great, and doing quite a lot of fun things that I'm going to enjoy seeing PTN use to rewrite his story with down the line.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AtomikKrab posted:

Capskye could have DFA'd another hex of the train and got some better bonuses against to hit.

:goonsay: maybe we should hand out lessons on how to survive in btech.

Edit edit: did the explosion remove the night penalty for a turn? can I get word on this ptn?

nm: grasshopper had floodlight active.

fakeedit: And yes, I am angry because capskye pulled defeat from the jaws of victory. its up the the last guy to drop a hex of the height 13.

It ain't over until the Javelin goes BOOM. And lest we forget, he's in a 90 structure building...with (12 x 17) 204 damage worth of SRMs on board.

All is not yet lost.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wait... why did the assassin explode? unless gyro destroyed counts for this because actually... you can still shoot without a gyro you just can't walk anymore. Gyro counts for destroyed right? because otherwise it still has 5 structure in the torso and intact engines.

(I just don't want to see defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by player error, sorry for :spergin:)

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Thanks

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 18, 2011

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
A 'mech with a completely destroyed gyro is removed from combat, as it cannot stand up or aim. The bombs go off automatically if the 'mech is disabled, except in the event of a headshot. The bombs are not smart; they don't know that if they wait 5 seconds before going boom, the 'mech will crush a train. They're likely wired to every disabling condition a 'mech could face (leg removal, engine destruction, gyro failure, non-catastrophic damage-related pilot death, unconsciousness, etc).

Although, now that I think of it, there is a rule in Maximum Tech that allows a chance for the flaming debris of a 'mech shot down mid-DFA to still hit the target.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 18, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

:ohdear: I am worrying far to much about it, the building should have stopped those lrms however. at its CF it would take 8 damage from any attack on the javelin before hand, and do that for every single location roll. since an lrm does 5 damage per set at most nothing should have gotten through.

:ohdear: DON'T LOSE THIS, Stand still and drop the the building. :ohdear:

Especially if ptn lets you keep you arms, stand still shoot at the little loki lights, nothing at homeguard mind you, and punch the building hex you are in every turn.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 18, 2011

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

jng2058 posted:

It ain't over until the Javelin goes BOOM. And lest we forget, he's in a 90 structure building...with (12 x 17) 204 damage worth of SRMs on board.

All is not yet lost.

So I've been following this thread because it's great, but I don't actually know any Battletech rules. But that said, didn't someone earlier say that ammo is automatically hit if you're shot in the back while dumping it? Because if so, the pilot of the Javelin knows what to do...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Except the "cause X amount of damage" was like the second objective they got, and the first one was basically a freebie.

Here's a fly in the ointment - are we sure we WANT them to succeed at the objectives? We know at least one of the objectives is compromised. Can we be sure about the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Destress the angst, you all. It is all good in the hood, as they say. Even a partial success will, I strongly suspect, have very entertaining consequences.

I am so ready for this political update. :v:

• Locked thread