Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They don't, really. Software licenses that aren't enforced by central authentication servers are more or less solely enforced by random spot checks by industry watchdogs like the BSA. I don't know who's responsible for fonts but they have no way to know you put it on the hacked Kindle or that you didn't pay for the copy you used on your blog unless someone rats you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE

Fuoco posted:

Is this it by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4gO4Gy_i-I#t=07m40s

It's from the 2006 BBC Series 'Robin Hood'. It seems to match the renaissance-style, swordfighting, villian talking to woman, and fire in the belly.

That's it! Thank you!

How did you find it?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

haveblue posted:

They don't, really. Software licenses that aren't enforced by central authentication servers are more or less solely enforced by random spot checks by industry watchdogs like the BSA. I don't know who's responsible for fonts but they have no way to know you put it on the hacked Kindle or that you didn't pay for the copy you used on your blog unless someone rats you out.

Thanks. I'm not trying to talk :filez:; I'm genuinely confused about whether I am legally required to buy a second license so my wife can read books in that font even if she has no access to type, design, print, etc with it. If so, I'll just find a look-a-like for free. I also don't know if the banner design would be against the license or not.

EDIT:
Looks like I can use it as I described.
"Q:Can I embed?
A: The answer usually is 'yes'."

http://help.fontshop.com/entries/227252-fontfont-end-user-license-agreement-explained

I should have delved into the help more.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 17, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What does the license for that particular font say? They're usually pretty clear.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

JDanielS posted:

I would like to start a thread discussing how to structure an academic, historical study of video games. I'm just looking for a few ideas and have already read from some other sources to get some ideas. Should this go in the Games section or the D&D subforum?

This isn't what you asked, but based on your question you will find the pdf final report on this page very interesting.

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/17097

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies
A friend of mine is a musician and sells stuff at her shows. She currently sells out of a carry-on sized suitcase. The problem with this is that she has to unpack everything to display it and then re-pack it when she's done. It would be easier for her if the case just kind of opened up into a display. I tried googling for things like "trade show cases" and the like but couldn't really find anything that seemed to fit, mostly because all the websites selling that crap are terrible.

Does anyone know of a product like what I'm describing?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Maybe "portable display case" or "portable exhibit case"?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I have an HTC Evo and I broke the charger to it a while back. I decided to get a little Belkin charger that said it was compatible with the evo. It charges fine, but now it won't show up as a disk drive on my computer. Is it because its not an Official Sprint Charger? Is there another way to put music on my phone? :saddowns:

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

2508084 posted:

I have an HTC Evo and I broke the charger to it a while back. I decided to get a little Belkin charger that said it was compatible with the evo. It charges fine, but now it won't show up as a disk drive on my computer. Is it because its not an Official Sprint Charger? Is there another way to put music on my phone? :saddowns:

I have an HTC Incredible and in order to have it show up as a disk drive, I have to change a setting to switch the phone from Charge Only to Disk Drive.

I do this by either dragging the notification bar down, touching the USB symbol, and selecting Disk Drive. You can also go to Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type and set it for Disk Drive.

As far as putting music on it, you can download the Amazon MP3 app which downloads music directly to your phone when purchased and includes the Cloud Player.

With the cloud player you can upload your muisc from your PC to Amazon 'a cloud drive and listen to it anywhere via Cloud Player/MP3 app on your phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

2508084 posted:

You made sure to go to the notification area and mount the phone as a mass storage device, right?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

I have an HTC Incredible and in order to have it show up as a disk drive, I have to change a setting to switch the phone from Charge Only to Disk Drive.

I do this by either dragging the notification bar down, touching the USB symbol, and selecting Disk Drive. You can also go to Settings > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type and set it for Disk Drive.
Its already set to this as the default. It doesnt even do the notification that its charging/connected to pc. The light comes on and thats it. I double checked my settings and its set to connect as a disk drive by default

quote:

As far as putting music on it, you can download the Amazon MP3 app which downloads music directly to your phone when purchased and includes the Cloud Player.

With the cloud player you can upload your muisc from your PC to Amazon 'a cloud drive and listen to it anywhere via Cloud Player/MP3 app on your phone.

I will try this

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

2508084 posted:

If all else fails, you can get a micro SD card holder, which then goes into a regular SD slot and you can add the music directly.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

MrHyde posted:

A friend of mine is a musician and sells stuff at her shows. She currently sells out of a carry-on sized suitcase. The problem with this is that she has to unpack everything to display it and then re-pack it when she's done. It would be easier for her if the case just kind of opened up into a display. I tried googling for things like "trade show cases" and the like but couldn't really find anything that seemed to fit, mostly because all the websites selling that crap are terrible.

Does anyone know of a product like what I'm describing?

Kind of like these?

http://www.shipping-cases-now.com/categories.asp?cat=38

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Ror posted:

The color and smell both come from metal oxidation, green is typical because they usually use copper or nickel. Real jewelry polish is specifically made to remove and sometimes help slow oxidation, so that's a good call if you really like the pieces. As for household items, both vinegar and lemon juice are commonly used for the acidity and might work just as well as real polish, so definitely give that a try. (edit: btw you probably don't want to mess with acidic stuff if it's real precious metal jewelry. it's totally fine for cheap stuff but i wouldn't touch real silver with it to be safe.)

You'll want to keep the jewelry as dry as possible in general, both after you clean it and if it ever gets sweaty or something. Moisture really does a number on the metal. Usually verdigris indicates a certain amount of damage already done to the metal, but if you clean it and can keep it from gunking up it should last much longer.

Tried the lemon juice thing because I didn't have any vinegar and it worked like a charm! I was able to wear my earrings all day long today without being bothered by any disgusting smells and my ears weren't green after I took them out.
Thank you!

e: Have another stupid question! Not sure if this should go in some other thread, but I'll try my luck here. I got an iPod for Christmas, a 4th gen Nano that had been refurbished by Apple. It has a 2 year warranty on it and lately I've been thinking about sending it in to see what's wrong, but I want to know if it's worth being without my music for a while.
It used to have issues with just randomly turning off. No big deal, I just hit play and it turns back on and starts again. That stopped. The issue now is that if I'm holding it at a certain angle, like completely horizontal on its back, it suddenly pauses. I have to turn it upright again for it to start playing. I've never gotten it wet, never gotten anything else on it. I have dropped it a few times but never on anything really hard and never from a big height. Is there something wrong with it that could be fixed by not sending it in, or should I go ahead and get over it and mail it back?

copy of a fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 18, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

2508084 posted:

Did you save the packaging for the charger? Does it say "USB Micro" anywhere on it, or look like the cable on the right?

I've got an HTC Incredible, which I assume uses the same charger, because it's an industry standard. I got a charger-cable a few months back when I was traveling and left mine at home; it looked like a standard USB Micro cable, but the two data leads (D+ and D- in the USB Spec) weren't connected to anything. Try getting a cheap USB Micro cable off of Monprice or something, and see if that works.

Edit: Some googling seems to indicate that Evo does use the standardized USB Micro cable. You'll be fine with anything marketed as a data cable, rather than just a "charger".

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 18, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Gravity Pike posted:

Did you save the packaging for the charger? Does it say "USB Micro" anywhere on it, or look like the cable on the right?

I've got an HTC Incredible, which I assume uses the same charger, because it's an industry standard. I got a charger-cable a few months back when I was traveling and left mine at home; it looked like a standard USB Micro cable, but the two data leads (D+ and D- in the USB Spec) weren't connected to anything. Try getting a cheap USB Micro cable off of Monprice or something, and see if that works.

I have an EVO too, and it is a micro USB, but my EVO at least is really finicky about what charger I use on it. I pretty much have to use the one that came with it. Other ones are weirdly loose in the port, and don't hold a good connection. I'm also not the only person to complain about the port, so I figure it's just something I have to deal with with this phone, which I love in every other way.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

nesbit37 posted:

This isn't what you asked, but based on your question you will find the pdf final report on this page very interesting.

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/17097

This is great, thanks.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Fire In The Disco posted:

I have an EVO too, and it is a micro USB, but my EVO at least is really finicky about what charger I use on it. I pretty much have to use the one that came with it. Other ones are weirdly loose in the port, and don't hold a good connection. I'm also not the only person to complain about the port, so I figure it's just something I have to deal with with this phone, which I love in every other way.

Weird, I bought four generic micro USB cables to use with my phone, and don't have any problems with them (one in my bedroom, one in the living room, one at work, and one connected to my PC).

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Fire In The Disco posted:

If all else fails, you can get a micro SD card holder, which then goes into a regular SD slot and you can add the music directly.

I dont have an SD slot on my PC, would something like this work?

I cant find the charger I bought online. It was from target and came with four different types of connections, one being the micro USB needed to charge my phone. If the above linked product will work on my micro SD card, I'll just buy one of those tomorrow :)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

2508084 posted:

I imagine that should work.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Ramaroot posted:

That's it! Thank you!

How did you find it?

I did a search for "fire in your belly" at http://movie.subtitlr.com/

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Gwu8MZoUNi6bBvwSh5hP
ITZHnhroQuSYKZIWiiGf
20zGkfxDNhttm5kCr24S
YicsOFKQBt5qONhrV8gh
v6frPp4xDP4P6MOlZxds
fP84WBVEcJABKOJzd6mu
D0nllgpyGzrUf1KSpKSu
bSZW6i8MtcXcdPQT1HZw
UJQZcOzxnFh716ozK6bm
TAiiblMVrIJZntONQb4N

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2023

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew of some kind of map-plotting online service that I can place points onto.

I'm doing the market research to start up a business and I have a lot of data from the office of national statistics so I have figures for businesses by country area.

I'm hoping to be able to colour code these country areas by relevant business density (more businesses I can sell to, the darker the region) and plot onto this the number of competitors in that area.

There are a few other things but thats basically it.

Google Maps?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

2508084 posted:

I cant find the charger I bought online. It was from target and came with four different types of connections, one being the micro USB needed to charge my phone. If the above linked product will work on my micro SD card, I'll just buy one of those tomorrow :)

Should work! I also at one point just broke down and bought one of these things, so that I always had a way to read cards if needed (my usual laptop doesn't have a card reader either).

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Zero Gravitas posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew of some kind of map-plotting online service that I can place points onto.

I'm doing the market research to start up a business and I have a lot of data from the office of national statistics so I have figures for businesses by country area.

I'm hoping to be able to colour code these country areas by relevant business density (more businesses I can sell to, the darker the region) and plot onto this the number of competitors in that area.

There are a few other things but thats basically it.

Look into AricGIS. I can only say that I've used the version that integrates with SharePoint, but that was pretty robust. Looks like the web-mapping (what I linked you to) is free for development purposes. However, a cursory glance looks like it requires a bit of technical knowledge to get up and running.

e: Also check out their online version here. It may be more what you're after - not sure about costs or ease of use though as I just looked at it for about 10 seconds.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 18, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Languages question:

Is there something about some of the east Asian languages in which "hello" has to precede a morning greeting? I've heard a number of east Asian people who learned English as a second language say "Hi, good morning" to me, but I've never heard a "good morning" without the "hello" first.

Or is this just a coincidental pattern that has no relation to their primary language at all?

EDIT:

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Look into AricGIS. I can only say that I've used the version that integrates with SharePoint, but that was pretty robust. Looks like the web-mapping (what I linked you to) is free for development purposes. However, a cursory glance looks like it requires a bit of technical knowledge to get up and running.

e: Also check out their online version here. It may be more what you're after - not sure about costs or ease of use though as I just looked at it for about 10 seconds.

I have used ArcGIS in one course I did like four years ago, so I can't remember how it's done, but I can assure you that it is capable of doing what you want to do, Zero Gravitas. The catch: It is an extremely expensive suite of software and it will take some time to learn.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 18, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mak0rz posted:

Languages question:

Is there something about some of the east Asian languages in which "hello" has to precede a morning greeting? I've heard a number of east Asian people who learned English as a second language say "Hi, good morning" to me, but I've never heard a "good morning" without the "hello" first.

Or is this just a coincidental pattern that has no relation to their primary language at all?

I think it's just the way they've learned English. You can certainly say good morning without an explicit "hello" in Mandarin, at least.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I've got a set of the Bose Lifestyle AV20 speakers, but my the speakers are running through a Denon AVR 1804 receiver and we used to have a Polk subwoofer. My roommate just moved out so he took the Sub, but the receiver is still here, as are the speakers. I'm wondering if there is any way to hook up the Bose sub, but without using it as the receiver, as it is an all-in-one kinda deal. My roommate is convinced 100% that his receiver is 10x better than the Bose would be, so he refuses to set it up (everything is his). If anyone knows any way to set it up as just a stand alone sub, please help me out!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I'm having a really hard time sorting out what you are trying to do.

Example: A search for "Bose Lifestyle AV20" turns up your answers.yahoo same question. Which means it's probably the wrong product name.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think he means that the sub has a built-in receiver and he wants to bypass it and just use it as a normal sub slaved to another separate receiver. Then he got the model number wrong so nobody can look up the details for the exact sub he owns.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

me about the wide world of online printing!

A small business I just started at had me put together a brochure. We went with a 5.5" x 5.5" square design. Two pieces of paper printed front and back with color, folded down the center and stapled. We'll be printing about 2000 total brochures and will need a proof before we give the go ahead with a final order

The way I envision the printing being done is on a regular 8.5x11" sheet with the excess then cut off.

Searching for online printing yields tons of results, so if you goons have any recommendations on who or what to look for, it would be fantastic!

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

haveblue posted:

I think he means that the sub has a built-in receiver and he wants to bypass it and just use it as a normal sub slaved to another separate receiver. Then he got the model number wrong so nobody can look up the details for the exact sub he owns.

You are correct, and the Bose system is just V20, not AV. The Bose sub is also the receiver, entertainment center, everything, but I want to use it as just a sub and run it through a different receiver, the Denon one I have. Any ideas?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

haveblue posted:

Ohh thanks for the translation services! :)

If that's the case he is probably referring to the v20 in which case the answer is yes you probably can but you'd probably need to open up the "acoustimass" and wire in the output from the other receiver to it. *but* if the impedance (ohms) and watts rating aren't right you'll blow the acoustimass speaker(s) and or burnout the other receiver.

Basically you'll hose a 2,000$ speaker setup or a like priced receiver if you do it wrong.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come-dine-with-me/4od#3132417

What the bloody Hell is the song that plays near the 36 minute mark on this? The cheery upbeat number with the organ and whatnot. It's well twisting my melon.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My new job requires a scanned copy of a photo ID that I can email as a PDF. What's the easiest way to go about this?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

ProperCoochie posted:

My new job requires a scanned copy of a photo ID that I can email as a PDF. What's the easiest way to go about this?

Scan it, save it as PDF, email. Every scanner I have ever used saves documents as PDF. Now if you don't have a scanner that is a different story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Go to Kinko's or your local equivalent, they probably have a computer with a scanner you can rent a few minutes on.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

ProperCoochie posted:

Take a picture of it with a camera phone (decent) or camera and then print to pdf:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
(no idea about that app just pickled the first one that was open source)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I know it has been discussed here before but I cant figure out how to word in google. There is a website that you can enter a word and it will break it up using different countries extensions (like .jp .nz Im not sure they are called extensions.)

So for instance bit.ly

Does this post make enough sense for someone to decipher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Country domains are called ccTLDs, and what you're looking for is called a "domain hack."

http://xona.com/domainhacks/