Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

thehandtruck posted:

What are some movies that place all or mostly in one room.? Cube, Exam, Reservoir Dogs (for the most part) are good examples although Exam sucked.

Some good recs already.
Eden Log is unique and takes place in one unusual 'set' with minimal characters.

Before he was Iron Man, Robert Downie Jr. played a charming rear end in a top hat in Two Girls and A Guy which takes place almost entirely in one apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

thehandtruck posted:

What are some movies that place all or mostly in one room.? Cube, Exam, Reservoir Dogs (for the most part) are good examples although Exam sucked.

That was also asked on the first page so look there for more recommendations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What was the Ryan Reynolds thing in the coffin? That was technically a room.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

thehandtruck posted:

Night of the Living Dead, save for the first ten minutes or so, all takes place in one small house.

Trashcan Mike
May 14, 2011

JELLYFISH HEAVEN IS A LOT LIKE L.A.

Binowru posted:

Recommend me films for someone who really, really loves brutal satire and black humor, but doesn't know any examples other than Dr. Strangelove and Network.

A couple of foreign titles... "The Perfect Crime" and "The Green Butchers". Wildly different takes on black humor... hot and cold, respectively from Spain and Scandinavia. Neither should be written off and both have some scenes that had me writhing between laughing and crying.

Okay, anybody know any good non-political documentaries on South American cultures?

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

After playing L.A. Noire quite a bit, I'm in the mood for some decent classic or modern Noir films. It's a genre I've, unfortunately, let slip right past me up until now. The only examples that I've seen are The Third Man and Brick. Anyone have some suggestions?

Edit: Also forgot about Le Samourai, which I loved.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wreath of Barbs posted:

After playing L.A. Noire quite a bit, I'm in the mood for some decent classic or modern Noir films. It's a genre I've, unfortunately, let slip right past me up until now. The only examples that I've seen are The Third Man and Brick. Anyone have some suggestions?

Just a few:

Classics: Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, The Killing, Touch of Evil

Modern: Chinatown; After Dark, My Sweet; The Long Goodbye

This is also a good noir primer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Did someone say noir? Here's all my tier 9/10 films from Criticker's "Film Noir" collection (leaving out a couple that aren't really noir IMO):

Sweet Smell of Success
Nightmare Alley
Odds Against Tomorrow
Double Indemnity
The Lineup
Night of the Hunter
The Asphalt Jungle
Beyond the Forest
Murder By Contract
The Burglar
Notorious
One Way Street
The Phenix City Story
Sudden Fear
Force of Evil
Raw Deal
Blast of Silence
Cry of the City
Le Doulos
Human Desire
The Lodger (1944)
Moonrise
Night and the City
Plunder Road
Ride the Pink Horse
The Set-Up
Shadow of a Doubt
They Made Me a Fugitive
Thieves' Highway
Cape Fear
Criss Cross
Elevator to the Gallows
The Hitch-Hiker
Pickup on South Street
Secret Beyond the Door
They Live By Night
Where the Sidewalk Ends
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
Act of Violence
The Crimson Kimono
Edge of Doom
Journey Into Fear
Leave Her to Heaven
No Way Out
Out of the Past
Rififi
99 River Street
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Big Combo
Border Incident
The Breaking Point
Fallen Angel
Gilda
High Wall
Kansas City Confidential
The Killing
Mystery Street
Nocturne
The Red House
Scandal Sheet
The Scar
Side Street
T-Men
Union Station
The Wrong Man
Dark Waters
Dead Reckoning
The Desperate Hours
Hangover Square
The Lady from Shanghai
The Maltese Falcon
The Narrow Margin
The Chase
Cornered
Detour
Gun Crazy
I Walk Alone
Laura
The Locket
Touch of Evil

That, um, ought to get you started.

There's also this thread.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Wow, you've both given me a tremendous amount to start out. I'll randomly pick a couple to watch through tonight and check back in.

Thanks for the help. :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One more neo-noir that might be the best of the last 20 years: L.A. Confidential. I have mad, insatiable love for that movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I saw Babyface recently and I'd like to see some more pre-code talkies. I'm already planning to check out Night Nurse and Three on a Match based on the ultimate recommendation thread, but what are some other good ones?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

I saw Babyface recently and I'd like to see some more pre-code talkies. I'm already planning to check out Night Nurse and Three on a Match based on the ultimate recommendation thread, but what are some other good ones?

Scarface, The Public Enemy, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang are great crime films, Trouble in Paradise, Design for Living, Grand Hotel are great romantic comedies, One Way Passage and Heroes for Sale are some great dramas, Footlight Parade and 42nd Street for musicals. Not all of them are as provocative as Babyface, but they're all clearly precode and really good.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Scarface, The Public Enemy, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang are great crime films, Trouble in Paradise, Design for Living, Grand Hotel are great romantic comedies, One Way Passage and Heroes for Sale are some great dramas, Footlight Parade and 42nd Street for musicals. Not all of them are as provocative as Babyface, but they're all clearly precode and really good.

Safe in Hell is a real solid crime/drama. To the Last Man is a greatttt pre-code western. OH snap and Tarzan and his Mate is a keeper too. And John Ford's The Lost Patrol is a totally underrated serious adventure.

Pre-code horror films are great too. Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Most Dangerous Game, The Back Cat, White Zombie. Good stuff, good stuff.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 20, 2011

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Wreath of Barbs posted:

A recent example but L.A. Confidential is a drat fine film. Wonderful ensemble cast and beautiful re-creation of 1940's L.A.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Saw Endhiran over the weekend, and really liked the slapstick aspect of it. Can someone recommend me screwball/slapstick Bollywood films?

Through some googling I've found a few possible contenders - Half Ticket, Hungama, and Pasand Apni Apni. Anyone seen these?

peanutbutterunicorn
Jul 31, 2009
I took a stab in the dark this weekend and selected Ponyo to watch with my six year old son. I really did not think that he would like it, but he ended up loving it and re-watching it twice this weekend. Can anyone recommend a similar type story/ graphic style suitable for a six year old? Thanks in advance!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

peanutbutterunicorn posted:

I took a stab in the dark this weekend and selected Ponyo to watch with my six year old son. I really did not think that he would like it, but he ended up loving it and re-watching it twice this weekend. Can anyone recommend a similar type story/ graphic style suitable for a six year old? Thanks in advance!
My Neighbor Totoro is pretty close, definitely aimed at the same age group. Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky skew slightly older, with some action/scary sequences not unlike Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

fenix down posted:

Saw Endhiran over the weekend, and really liked the slapstick aspect of it. Can someone recommend me screwball/slapstick Bollywood films?

Through some googling I've found a few possible contenders - Half Ticket, Hungama, and Pasand Apni Apni. Anyone seen these?

Haven't seen those, and not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but Endhiran is to Terminator what Love Story 2050 is to Back to the Future. It's one of those "so bad it's good" movies.

Can someone recommend me a movie with exceptional, non-CGI creature effects? eg, The Thing, Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

fenix down posted:

I hate Bollywood films in general but Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro has lots of screwball and is hilarious.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

monkey posted:

Haven't seen those, and not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but Endhiran is to Terminator what Love Story 2050 is to Back to the Future. It's one of those "so bad it's good" movies.

Can someone recommend me a movie with exceptional, non-CGI creature effects? eg, The Thing, Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

I believe it was all non-CGI for the creature effects, could be mistaken but you could check out Splinter as a recommendation.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Mouser.. posted:

I believe it was all non-CGI for the creature effects, could be mistaken but you could check out Splinter as a recommendation.

Yeah Splinter was amazingly well done considering the budget, it's like the Thing made with the thriftiness of Evil Dead.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I need to find two-three horror movies for my little sister and her friends. They're into stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake, not the original, because they are empty shells of human beings), Paranormal Activity and so on. So it doesn't really need to be good, just really scary. I would love to scare them to death. I think stuff like Audition would be too subtle for them. Any suggestions?

e: Having searched around a few top10 and top15 lists, I've come to decide I'm gonna get her Inside, Session 9, Martyrs and [REC]. Anyone know these films?

csidle fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 24, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

csidle posted:

I need to find two-three horror movies for my little sister and her friends. They're into stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake, not the original, because they are empty shells of human beings), Paranormal Activity and so on. So it doesn't really need to be good, just really scary. I would love to scare them to death. I think stuff like Audition would be too subtle for them. Any suggestions?

e: Having searched around a few top10 and top15 lists, I've come to decide I'm gonna get her Inside, Session 9, Martyrs and [REC]. Anyone know these films?
Session 9 is more suspenseful than scary and I can guarantee that your friends won't like it even though it's good. [rec] is a great choice if they have the ability to read subtitles, and I haven't seen the other two. Have they seen The Ring?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

electricsugar posted:

A recent example but L.A. Confidential is a drat fine film. Wonderful ensemble cast and beautiful re-creation of 1940's L.A.

Thirding this! Partially it's because they're both noir, but L.A. Noire has a LOT in common with L.A. Confidential. Plus it's a drat fine film. I'd recommend that first if L.A. Noire has you jonesing for more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wreath of Barbs posted:

One more point on this: the game itself contains a thorough noir primer. The 50 film reels hidden around the city are all staples of the genre.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

csidle posted:

Martyrs is not scary, it's uncomfortable to watch towards the last hour. I think the lines are pretty well divided between people that view that movie though as far as a horror movie and I thought it was interesting for the first 30 minutes and the last hour is Watching a chick get the hell beat out of her and wishing they would just get it over with already

I personally thought in the type of foreign films you are describing that Frontier(s) was a better film than Martyrs. Especially if your sister liked the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

EDIT: Wolf Creek was also rather scary and unsettling from what I can remember.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 24, 2011

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

fenix down posted:

Session 9 is more suspenseful than scary and I can guarantee that your friends won't like it even though it's good. [rec] is a great choice if they have the ability to read subtitles, and I haven't seen the other two. Have they seen The Ring?
Shame about S9. Might still try and push it on them, although the fact that you'll GUARANTEE they won't enjoy it is alarming. But yeah, we live in Denmark so literally everything we watch has subtitles on it, although I prefer watching films without them. And everyone's seen The Ring! Thanks for your feedback.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

csidle posted:

Shame about S9. Might still try and push it on them, although the fact that you'll GUARANTEE they won't enjoy it is alarming. But yeah, we live in Denmark so literally everything we watch has subtitles on it, although I prefer watching films without them. And everyone's seen The Ring! Thanks for your feedback.
There is a slim chance they could like it, it just has more in common with Sixth Sense or Signs than slashers. What about The Thing or Evil Dead?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

fenix down posted:

There is a slim chance they could like it, it just has more in common with Sixth Sense or Signs than slashers. What about The Thing or Evil Dead?
They'd moan that it looked too grainy or old (I am working daily on making her more open to good films). Thanks for the suggestions though. I've got a couple of films gathered now. :)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
General critic reviews of The Gift (2000) are that it's just "meh". Based on the cast alone, I can't imagine why I skipped over this initially. What do you guys think of it?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Parachute posted:

General critic reviews of The Gift (2000) are that it's just "meh". Based on the cast alone, I can't imagine why I skipped over this initially. What do you guys think of it?

Giovanni Ribisi and Keanu Reeves are both fantastic in it. It's a good movie, just not great. Worth seeing, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

codyclarke posted:

It's a good movie, just not great. Worth seeing, though.

This really sums up a lot of Sam Raimi's movies for me.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Anybody know any movies that combine detective type mysteries with the supernatural?

I really enjoyed Lords of Illusion and Angel Heart, as well as the Supernatural tv series. I've also seen Constantine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fonzarelli posted:

Anybody know any movies that combine detective type mysteries with the supernatural?

I really enjoyed Lords of Illusion and Angel Heart, as well as the Supernatural tv series. I've also seen Constantine.

The Prophecy isn't strictly a mystery, but it's very much in the vein of Supernatural and Constantine except the writing's even goofier and the cast is infinitely better.

The Ninth Gate might be a decent option too, but the last time I tried to watch it I started it late at night and forgot that it's 2+ hours long, so I didn't end up finishing it. What I did watch was slow, but definitely had the mystery aspect, probably even more so than the films you mention.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Prophecy isn't strictly a mystery, but it's very much in the vein of Supernatural and Constantine except the writing's even goofier and the cast is infinitely better.

The Ninth Gate might be a decent option too, but the last time I tried to watch it I started it late at night and forgot that it's 2+ hours long, so I didn't end up finishing it. What I did watch was slow, but definitely had the mystery aspect, probably even more so than the films you mention.

Ooof, I've seen both of them too! I absolutely loved The Prophecy, and I liked Ninth Gate too, albeit it was a touch slow. The ending is pretty cool, you should finish it.

But any more similar movies would be rad.

VVVVV I've seen Angel Heart, Cronos, and The Wicker Man, but Cast a Deadly Spell Looks pretty cool for a tv movie. I will try and track it down.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 28, 2011

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fonzarelli posted:

Angel Heart is okay but the trailer at imdb.com makes it look more action-packed than it really is.
The original Wicker Man.
Cronos is not a whodunnit but very imaginative.
Cast A Deadly Spell has tough guy Fred Ward as 'Detective Lovecraft' investigating a crime among spellcasters in the 1940s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Angel Heart is okay but the trailer at imdb.com makes it look more action-packed than it really is.
The original Wicker Man.
Cronos is not a whodunnit but very imaginative.
Cast A Deadly Spell has tough guy Fred Ward as 'Detective Lovecraft' investigating a crime among spellcasters in the 1940s.

There's a sequel to Cast a Deadly Spell called Witch Hunt, which replaced Fred Ward with Dennis Hopper and moved the setting to the '50s. They were both made for HBO (before the Sopranos/Six Feet Under renaissance), and aren't available through any legitimate means that I know of. I've always wanted to see them both.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There's a sequel to Cast a Deadly Spell called Witch Hunt, which replaced Fred Ward with Dennis Hopper and moved the setting to the '50s. They were both made for HBO (before the Sopranos/Six Feet Under renaissance), and aren't available through any legitimate means that I know of. I've always wanted to see them both.

Cast a Deadly Spell is very good. The effects are decent for an early 90's made-for-TV film and the cast is full of great character actors; Clancy Brown, David Warner, Julianne Moore and Fred Ward. Just don't go into it expecting an "H.P. Lovecraft movie".

Witch Hunt, on the other hand, was pretty terrible. Dennis Hopper mails it in and everything about the film just screams MID 90's!!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm looking for films that could be classified as "high concept puzzle horror/thriller", where there's a major puzzle you're solving throughout the film via the characters, but has a big thematic hook.

Some examples of what I mean:
Seven had a serial killer leading the detectives with clues for murders correlating to the Seven Deadly Sins.
Unknown (2006) had a group of guys waking up in a sealed warehouse with amnesia.
The first Saw had two guys chained to pipes who had to follow clues to attempt an escape.
Mindhunters had a killer going through a team of FBI trainees on a private island one by one.
Cube had, of course, the Cube puzzle.
Memento had the short-term memory loss and reverse chronological order.
Silent Hill had a woman shifting between worlds while following clues to find her daughter.

Anything else along these lines I should check out?

Fonzarelli posted:

Fallen has some pretty nice twists and turns, and a body-jumping demon.

Frailty is sort of along the same lines, as it deals with an FBI investigation and a man who believes he's hunting demons.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Bonk posted:

I'm looking for films that could be classified as "high concept puzzle horror/thriller"

It's probably been mentioned in this thread already, but Triangle is exactly this.

• Locked thread