Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

jeffersonlives posted:

It's usually used more for cheap performance guys - Ed Summers, HoJo, Walt Weiss, every reliever from 1915 - than the real major top-shelf guys like Joss, Ruth, Raines, etc.

I would call Raines a cookie player.

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/stat_snapshot.asp will show you the most used players, '83 and '86 show up there, although nothing compared to '87 Coleman and '80 Dilone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Bump Hadley. Buddy Myer is probably expendable, that offense is too expensive.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

toadee posted:

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/stat_snapshot.asp will show you the most used players, '83 and '86 show up there, although nothing compared to '87 Coleman and '80 Dilone.

Oh my. What other helpful parts of the WiS site can you recommend?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

AlleyViper posted:

I love Random Captain

There's a DH, you know.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

toadee posted:

I have 1977 Tim Foli on a team and had absolutely no idea until now that he had any performance history whatsoever. He's on my bingo team I believe.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Interesting park choices in the 2-man band league with seemingly over half the owners taking +1B/2B/3B but -HR parks.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The ultimate cookie is still 1904 Billy Milligan

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ahahaha poor Pedro Martinez, now instead of being in the Bonds/Appling/Ichiro division he's pitching in the Bonds/Ruth/Lave Cross division.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Ahahaha poor Pedro Martinez, now instead of being in the Bonds/Appling/Ichiro division he's pitching in the Bonds/Ruth/Lave Cross division.

imagine :q: munching a hot dog

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Two cycles left, one game lead

:ohdear:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My rule V pitching is kinda awesome.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Why are you resting a 100% Cal Eldred when he's your second best reliever

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Why are you resting a 100% Cal Eldred when he's your second best reliever

Because he's not a reliever, he's a fill in starter for Kevin Brown. I'm 100 or so starting innings short, and he's picking up the slack.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
In my OL I've got 4 games to go and I'm tied for the division lead with the team I'm going to play the final series with. He's got 2009 Josh Bard for a catcher and he was at 77% at the start of the pm game. Should I crank everyone up to steal as much as possible here?

I really only have '87 Raines and '80 Miguel Dilone as normally stealing right now, but against that catcher I feel like almost anyone with a speed > 70 should be taking off. Opinions?

Anubis fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 19, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
^^^ I wouldn't unless they can steal at all as well. I wouldn't let a guy with 70 speed but who went 0-for2 in steals that year run.

jeffersonlives posted:

Two cycles left, one game lead

Our magic # to clinch 2nd place is 3 so even if we don't take first overall we should still take 2nd.

Now excuse me while I go furiously knock on wood.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Now excuse me while I go furiously knock on wood.

I don't really have any unfavorable matchups and am actually starting against a few really mediocre pitchers in PM, more knock on wood:

95 Maddux (ATL, 79-82) vs. 09 Mathewson (NYG, 91-70) - neutral
05 Reulbach (CHC, 76-85) vs. 09 Carpenter (STL, 70-91) - favors us
77 Seaver (CIN, 82-79) vs. 63 Koufax (LAD, 61-100) - favors us
72 Sutton (LAD, 85-76) vs. 82 Soto (CIN, 75-86) - favors us
18 Toney (NYG, 95-66) vs. 09 Vazquez (ATL, 75-86) - favors us
15 Alexander (PHI, 87-74) vs. 19 Adams (PIT, 94-67) - neutral
09 Camnitz (PIT, 84-77) vs. 06 Sparks (PHI, 77-84) - neutral
81 Rincon (STL, 88-73) vs. 19 Alexander (CHI, 78-83) - neutral

I'd hope to go 6-2 as a median outcome given that slate, frankly. Carpenter, Soto, and Vazquez shouldn't even be rostered in this league (which probably speaks to why those teams suck).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Let's see what I've got...

'06 Pelty (Bal 82-79) vs. '72 Fidrych (Det 67-94) - favors us
'14 Leonard (Bos 94-67) vs. '43 Chandler (NYY 78-83) - favors us
'10 Walsh (CWS 103-58) vs. '04 Santana (Min 66-95) - favors us
'08 Addie (Cle 90-71) vs. '38 Leonard (Min 85-76) - favors us
'68 McLain (Det 77-84) vs. '75 Palmer (Bal 80-81) - neutral
'13 Big Train (Min 91-70) vs. '71 Vida (Oak 89-72) - neutral
'78 Guidry (NYY 83-78) vs. '75 Palmer (Bal 72-89) - favors us
'71 Vida (Oak 100-61) vs. '06 Liriano (Min 97-64) - neutral

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

^^^ I wouldn't unless they can steal at all as well. I wouldn't let a guy with 70 speed but who went 0-for2 in steals that year run.

Thanks, advice taken but I cranked up the guys who can actually steal and set my pinch runners to occur more often. Hopefully that gives me enough of an edge to win the series, especially considering he's running out of pitching % as well.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Random Captains is ready to go, there's a couple players here I've always wanted to use

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

If I knew RC was going back to modern players I would have played, ah well. Those deadball seasons just got Real Boring.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/FranchiseMegaTournamentStandings2011.asp?viewmode=1

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Haha now we're each going to have another $250 in SLB-only credits.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Congratulations, guys!

As a sidenote, my RC&C team is painfully mediocre, with the exception of extra innings-record; with 99 games played, they're 0-13. I wonder what the record is for most winless extra-inning games in a season is?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14743343&pid=1&pbp=0

Well that worked out alright!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Lol, that awful Coors team I entered got 1906 Bill Bergen in AAA. # line of 165 .181 .209 .390 ownssssss

edit: Bill Bergen inspired me to throw this together

As far as my silly gimmick teams go I kind of like it. Maybe I'll save it for that goon OL rush that was mentioned before

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 20, 2011

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

not enough dingers imo

Hell of a game 1

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

not enough dingers imo

Hell of a game 1

Surprised to see Babe Ruth get player of the game, I thought Babe Ruth really led the way

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14748182&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

This is gonna be awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fielding
Errors: L.Gehrig (1), L.Gehrig 4 (4), L.Gehrig (1)
PB: L.Gehrig 6

And I still lost

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14748176&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

This league is gonna be the best league

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14748180&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95

How in the hell did Robin Yount's offense win the league last year?

Also, three corner outfield errors :stare:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Power of Pecota posted:

How in the hell did Robin Yount's offense win the league last year?

Also, three corner outfield errors :stare:

Pretty sure his defense won it

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

Random Captains is ready to go, there's a couple players here I've always wanted to use

Only just took a closer look at this and I really hope you're playing in Safeco/Petco/New Busch or something.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Through 4 games 2007 Bonds has 8 walks, 1 hit, and 1 strikeout. 2007 Bonds is the best Bonds.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, one of the reasons some people wanted a new thread was for fantasy league chat and now there's no fantasy league chat. :cmon:

In other news, here's what is probably my final RC build. Gonna have to come up with some name involving the Willies

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

my fantasy team owns

you can all suck it!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

1918 Cobb has 8 errors through 2 games. He's the only Cobb I could see playing SS, he played practically every position that season :(

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

So, one of the reasons some people wanted a new thread was for fantasy league chat and now there's no fantasy league chat. :cmon:

Bautista is basically saving my season in offensive categories so far. I guess if anyone's in the market for an outfielder or a shortstop, I have a load of them.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is the best league ever and you all should join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

I was shocked that you didn't include his minor league baseball career, like "draft a player who played for xxxx".

edit: RIP Randy "Macho Man'' Savage. Before wrestling days, he was a minor leaguer w/ #reds, #stlcardinals & #whitesox. Given name: Randy Poffo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQ2EnGWvAs

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2011

• Locked thread