Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Might wanna go through the business thread, but to maximize your profit you'll want to charge for how they're using it, and retain all your rights/copyrights to the image, and basically sell a license to use the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
And have you guys ever used your speedlites/other flashes only for the AF assist beam?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Munkaboo posted:

And have you guys ever used your speedlites/other flashes only for the AF assist beam?

If its not lit well, then yeah.

Security may give you tons of grief if you don't show them beforehand it doesn't fire when you shoot tho.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Anti_Social posted:

If its not lit well, then yeah.

Security may give you tons of grief if you don't show them beforehand it doesn't fire when you shoot tho.

I got the Yongnuo imitation ST-E2 for just such occasions.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

HPL posted:

I got the Yongnuo imitation ST-E2 for just such occasions.

HPL approved?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Anti_Social posted:

HPL approved?

Meh. It's okay. It's not as compact as I might like. One thing I've been finding is that the lighting at the venues in town is getting worse and worse so these days I have to use a flash and I've barely used the ST-E2 since I got it. If you find yourself using a flash just for the AF light a lot, then yeah, it's money.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

So I just got on the list for the Symphony X / Powerglove / Blackguard show in Springfield, VA in a couple weeks.

I think I may rent the Canon 35mm 1.4L or the Sigma 30mm 1.4... Cost would be 60 and 45. (Unless one of you in the DC area would lend me one :))

How do you normally charge for photos? Lump sum or per photo? I'd at least like to cover the cost of the rental.

I went to this show at the Palladium here's some band hints, if Michael is in a good mood he'll make love to your camera and he's always on stage right :D

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Photex posted:

I went to this show at the Palladium here's some band hints, if Michael is in a good mood he'll make love to your camera and he's always on stage right :D

There were so many times I wish my autofocus wasnt poo poo with my old XSi when I shot Blind Guardian. Hansi got so close and my autofocus was poo poo.

I did get good at shooting him though:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I've been busy.

Robert Plant

Paul Phillips of Puddle of Mudd

Rikki Lixx of Rev Theory

Kenny Chesney

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love 1 & 3. 1 for the attitude, and 3 for the freeze.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Woooah Robert Plant looks crazy right now. He didnt age...as I'd expected.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RizieN posted:

Woooah Robert Plant looks crazy right now. He didnt age...as I'd expected.

He looks way more badass than I expected him to be.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Side note on Plant... I've been a fan for an extremly long time so when I got hired to cover the festival he was playing at, I was pretty drat excited. Other side note, my other favorite band, Ween, also played. Anywhoo, this fest went great, lots of photographers and things ran smooth. It was basically pick up creds and go, no release forms. Which, whatever, I sign a lot of them. For Plant though, there was grumblings that we would have to sign and we needed to be 15 minutes early. I got there on time and a messenger gathered us all up and asked our names. They approved about half of the photographers to shoot from the pit. I wasn't one of them. There was no rhyme or reason who got approved and that was odd. No big deal, it happens, I just ran over and grabbed a spot up front. There were some huge unprofessional melt downs over this. Just bitching and throwing hissy fits. One person in particular made such a stink that managment pulled all the photogs from the pit. Which sucked, because now these folks did not have a chance to run around a grab space. And it was a Live Nation event and they NEVER forget when you piss them off. That person will never shoot another LN concert again.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

HPL posted:

He looks way more badass than I expected him to be.

Yea he looks like a Hell's Angel or some kind of biker who would gently caress your poo poo up. Not at all like the last time I saw him, I think he put on weight.

Either way sucks about your photo-pit story, but you made out with a pretty drat good picture regardless.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You know the venue lighting is going to poo poo in your town when bands bring their own lights on stage and it's better than the stuff that was already there. Can't wait to upgrade my 40D so I don't have to apply 15 pounds of noise reduction to every photo I shoot at 3200.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I just got word I get to shoot The Chariot and Norma Jean this summer.

For the uninitiated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4uoOVah7I&feature=share

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I just got word I get to shoot The Chariot and Norma Jean this summer.

For the uninitiated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4uoOVah7I&feature=share

That is so awesome. The Chariot is INSANE live

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I'll be in Richmond on Tuesday night at the Canal Club and going to try and shoot a hardcore show. I don't really know anything about the bands or the music, I'm going with another goon. I can't wait.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

pr0digal posted:

That is so awesome. The Chariot is INSANE live

I think I may just have to rent the 17-35 2.8, put it in JPEG, and literally sprint around like a mad man.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So I'll be in Richmond on Tuesday night at the Canal Club and going to try and shoot a hardcore show. I don't really know anything about the bands or the music, I'm going with another goon. I can't wait.

Bring a lens hood. Protect yourself! RVA Hardcore scene is crazy.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

If anyone in the Baltimore area is around, I'm going to be at the La Dispute / Defeater show on Wednesday. I may just decide to leave the camera at home this time tho.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Started shooting film because digital hadn't really gotten me out of a rut; scored a free EOS 500 body and chucked my Sigma primes on it with some Ilford XP2 Delta film. Didn't expect anything of it, because there was less than half a roll and it was in my bag, so I took it to shoot Suicidal Tendencies and...well. Holy poo poo. I'm taking a film body to most shows from now because I did NOT expect these results. I expected a simple black frame.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Looking for some gear advice.

I will be shooting some bands on Sunday night in VA (Metal: Symphony X, Powerglove, Blackguard) and I will be bringing my XSi and 7D. I have on hand:

Sigma 24 f/1.8 Macro
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Canon 70-200 F4L
580EXII
Canon 50 1.8

The obvious two are the 50 1.8 and 24 1.8, but I was wondering if I should also bring the Tammy and slap it on the 7D... The combo I am mainly leaning toward is:

XSi + 50mm 1.8
7d + 24 1.8

I dont think ill be using the 580EXII at all unless i do some pre-show stuff, and I dont think I will use it to focus assist since the beam can get pretty bright (I might though).

What do you all think?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 18, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Anti_Social posted:

If anyone in the Baltimore area is around, I'm going to be at the La Dispute / Defeater show on Wednesday. I may just decide to leave the camera at home this time tho.

Dude, they were so good. I saw them in Richmond last night and it was a blast to shoot. I don't know if I got anything good because I was more focused in rocking the gently caress out. The opener, Native, was also really really good.

Munkaboo, What kind of venue is it? If the stage is really large and high off the ground, a 17 may not give you the reach you want, unless you're on the stage itself off to the side, then a 17 would be cool. I had to use flash for the club last night, it was just too drat dark. Plus there were at least 6 other photographers there all popping flash and no one seemed to care.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
^^^^^ Post some shots! I was really disappointed that they didn't bring that tour to the west coast.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

That's some fantastic stuff 8D

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Munkaboo, What kind of venue is it? If the stage is really large and high off the ground, a 17 may not give you the reach you want, unless you're on the stage itself off to the side, then a 17 would be cool. I had to use flash for the club last night, it was just too drat dark. Plus there were at least 6 other photographers there all popping flash and no one seemed to care.

Pretty small venue, I would be pretty much at the base of the stage squished up with other fans. Thankfully there's no moshing at this venue. For the last show I just asked the crowd nicely if I could take shots for a song or two then I got out.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I would but I'm home for two weeks. I'm pissed I'm missing that show. I love Defeater. But as it turns out that tour is coming near me next Wednesday. It's at crappily lit venue with no barriers and a raised stage; I get to debate today if I'm going to go for a photo pass.

*edit* But I'll be back down in the area soon enough, hopefully with a car. I want to shoot some RVA/NVA hardcore shows

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 18, 2011

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I could probably get you a photo pass to the scream the prayer tour (the chariot, Norma Jean, I the breather) when it comes through. I'm pretty sure its at Sonar again this year.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

pr0digal posted:

I want to shoot some RVA/NVA hardcore shows

I so want to be there for that as well.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I could probably get you a photo pass to the scream the prayer tour (the chariot, Norma Jean, I the breather) when it comes through. I'm pretty sure its at Sonar again this year.

That would be sick. Baltimore is like 40 miles from where I live but if it's on a weekend I could try to make it.

Also I love shooting small hardcore shows

IMG_1864 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1859 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Dude, they were so good. I saw them in Richmond last night and it was a blast to shoot. I don't know if I got anything good because I was more focused in rocking the gently caress out. The opener, Native, was also really really good.

They complained about you guys, actually. Said the kids in attendance were kind of assholes.

And then they rocked out this tiny room so hard the walls were sweating. I wish I had my camera just for that, because i don't think the photographer that was there even turned around once to see the rest of the room trying just to surge on stage.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

They complained about you guys, actually. Said the kids in attendance were kind of assholes.

And then they rocked out this tiny room so hard the walls were sweating. I wish I had my camera just for that, because i don't think the photographer that was there even turned around once to see the rest of the room trying just to surge on stage.

Is that why they tweeted about the Fugazi speech and said a Defeater show wasn't a place to hit kids?

Also I shot La Dispute's PR contact an e-mail because Defeater's bounced back to me. I haven't seen/shot Defeater in ages and I've never seen/shot La Dispute so I'm pretty stoked

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't know what normally goes on at hardcore shows, I didn't think it was that bad. I've been to a lot of punk shows before and it was way less violent than those. La Dispute did point out a few kids to the bouncers. What did they say in Baltimore? I mean most of the crowd was just rushing the stage to sing at the mic.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I don't know what normally goes on at hardcore shows, I didn't think it was that bad. I've been to a lot of punk shows before and it was way less violent than those. La Dispute did point out a few kids to the bouncers. What did they say in Baltimore? I mean most of the crowd was just rushing the stage to sing at the mic.

There's a difference between going into the pit and getting knocked around a bit and going into the pit and specifically targeting kids to beat on. I've been to quite a few shows where jackass hardcore kids will just straight out sucker punch people in the pit for no reason. Or they'll stage dive with their elbows out and attempt to crack a few heads open. The amount of hardcore shows I've been to where a bullshit fight breaks out is far too many.

Defeater's issue, at least from their tweet, was the growing trend at hardcore shows to just beat on other people for no reason. Knowing the trend at palladium shows (where people go only to be kicked out 2 songs in ) we'll probably get a talking to as well. Tough guy hardcore is loving bullshit, like when the lead singer of Trapped Under Ice beat the poo poo out of a kid because he clipped him while stage diving.

*edit* actual show content. Transit is playing an acoustic show in a Levi's store in Boston today. Should be pretty awesome though I have no idea how I'm going to shoot it yet. Probably going to slap a prime on and shoot w/o flash

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 19, 2011

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I did wish I had brought a camera of some sort, because there were an epic amount of people surging the stage.

On the other hand, I don't really have a good sacrificial camera/lens laying around either.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Vancouver is pretty mellow. People by and large abide by the rules of the pit and everything is reasonably self-policing if someone starts acting up. It's fairly "professional" that way. I guess it helps that the punk/hardcore/metal scene here is relatively tight-knit so most of the people know each other in one way or another and about a third or half the audience at any given time is people from other bands.

I've seen people get stupid in pits, but it's more because they were drunk and not really in control of themselves as opposed to intentional malice. The worst pits are the shows where it's a hard rock band or whatever at a regular venue and you get a bunch of people moshing that think poo poo is hardcore heavy and they start a pit without the usual courtesies of a proper pit.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Sometimes, all I want to do is quit my day job and follow The Flaming Lips on tour with my camera.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Shooting a show inside an open retail store is a bit weird to say the least. Especially when the band sets up near the register and fitting rooms. Still a great time though.

Transit Acoustic Preview by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Though I just noticed I cut off the guitarist's elbow

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

IndieRockLance posted:

Sometimes, all I want to do is quit my day job and follow The Flaming Lips on tour with my camera.

I would if they'd get back to the good stuff :colbert:

Nice shot though.

Unfortunately the only time I got on stage I was tripping loving balls (so most images are just long exposure style lightstreaks), and not entirely into photography anyway, but I did take some pictures;

The back of the vagina screen;

The only kind of decent ones;

Most turned out like very, very worse versions of this;

Have you seen his wife's photobook? I honestly don't think its much better than the pictures I just posted, as far as composition anyway, her exposures and sharpness are better (but I was tripping with a P&S), but its seriously just like a bunch of Fan images bound together in a book, except the final page is of her doing an "artistic" myspace in the mirror-topless shot.

Sorry my rants probably belong in NMD...