Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
It's always funny to go back to an old thread for a movie on the blu-ray.com forums and see people complaining about the picture quality of the movie based on a few screenshots regardless of what the people who have actually seen the movie are saying. And there were a bunch of people in a thread there for Apocalypse Now who were complaining about the movie looking soft in places, apparently they don't understand that not every shot in every movie is always going to look absolutely perfect :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sith Happens posted:

That's not a review from some random user on their forums, that's actually an official site review.

If you read the actual movie reviews on blu-ray.com... well, let's just say don't. Their writers all have different tastes in movies, and a lot of them are... interesting, to say the least.

The only things you should pay attention to on the blu-ray.com ratings are the picture quality, the audio quality, and the special features. Not the actual review.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Judgment Night rules, you butt turd. :colbert:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah Judgement Night was awesome, I loved everything about that movie.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I just thought it was funny that he talks about that then shoehorns DBZ in at the end.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's a gem from the Blu-Ray.com forums:

Moviefan2k4 posted:

Why on Earth would anyone want a silent film on Blu? Something like that would defeat half the point.

42041 posted:

I'm not sure if you're being serious. Do you think people watched movies on small TVs in the 20s?

McCrutchy posted:

That would be hard considering broadcast TV only started in the 1930s. I'd like to meet somebody who could've afforded a set in the 20s, though, as a 12" screen model would hace cost almost $7,000 in today's dollars.

Moviefan2k4 posted:

What I meant was, since Blu-Ray's "trademark" is having the best available picture and sound, then you'd only be getting half the deal with a silent film. Personally, I've tried to watch a few of those things on cable, and the absence of dialogue is just depressing. Everything is done with title cards and music, but there's no way of actually reading emotion from any scene, and so it all flalls flat...at least for me.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
A bit of infuriating stubbornness, from the Twilight Zone thread on blu-ray.com:

TylerDurden posted:

No one will ever convince me that blu-ray improves a black and white picture. Maybe Casablanca is a reference quality b&w BD. But I really don't care about the PQ of a b&w. The only reason I would get one would be for the AQ. I just accept b&w for what it is.

HDMe posted:

What does that even MEAN?

TylerDurden posted:

Well the two examples that I have seen Gojira and the Third Man did nothing to impress me at all. I just accepted them how they were even though it was not visually stunning. I'm sure movies like Schindlers List will look fine on BD. But to say that every b&w benefits from blu is false.

It's false, everyone. END OF DISCUSSION.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I never knew people hoarded blu rays. This thread has been quite illuminating, and frightening.

I got Criterion's Stagecoach and was blown away and I also got the Searchers which looks so amazing when compared to what is shown on tv. It almost looks like it was shot 3 months ago. I'd like to see some more of the older pictures restored.

Which leads to the question: Are there any publishers that put out amazing classic films? I know of Criterion and Kino's couple of silent films. Is there anyone else that puts out high quality stuff like that in America?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's a gem from the Blu-Ray.com forums:

Space_Butler posted:

A bit of infuriating stubbornness, from the Twilight Zone thread on blu-ray.com:

It's false, everyone. END OF DISCUSSION.

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I hate people so much.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I never knew people hoarded blu rays. This thread has been quite illuminating, and frightening.

I got Criterion's Stagecoach and was blown away and I also got the Searchers which looks so amazing when compared to what is shown on tv. It almost looks like it was shot 3 months ago. I'd like to see some more of the older pictures restored.

Which leads to the question: Are there any publishers that put out amazing classic films? I know of Criterion and Kino's couple of silent films. Is there anyone else that puts out high quality stuff like that in America?

You can feel safe with nearly anything by Warner and Sony. Nearly any important film has at least a new 2K scan with a full restoration. Fox seems to be on track, as does Paramount (when they do release something).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only good reviewer on BR.com is Kenneth Brown, who oh so coincidentally was the only good reviewer on Hi-Def Digest. Of course, he only gets a movie every 2 weeks or so to review.

e: haha Peter Bracke appears to have completely abandoned HDD

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 17, 2011

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I too, went to the Blu-Ray forums after seeing it in this thread. Didn't take long to find a dumb post:

quote:

Ok what I mean is that in some movies I have seen the picture to be slowed down to maybe cut the violence. I have seen this in King Kong when they visit the island and when u see the natives attacking them there are few cuts and u see the slow-mo effect.

Same in case of Gladiator's starting battle which I am sure was not in theaters. So why they do this as Gladiator is already Rated R? This is just very very wrong and this thing makes me feel that I am watching a movie on a local TV channel which they cut so all family members can see!!!!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now now, if it wasn't or b-r.com I wouldn't have anywhere to sperg about BBFC logos and marketing crap (huge 'Triple Play!' banners) on my discs. A crime of design when it comes to steelbooks.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

henpod posted:

I too, went to the Blu-Ray forums after seeing it in this thread. Didn't take long to find a dumb post:
Having never seen either movie, what the gently caress is this guy talking about?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Having never seen either movie, what the gently caress is this guy talking about?

As I understand it, he's under the delusion that slo-mo violence is done as an appeal to the ratings board. The mind boggles.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Ridley Scott used random slomo at any and every point he possibly can, forums poster blames slomo on the ratings board and not Ridley Scott's overuse of it in everything he does.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Asnorban posted:

Ridley Scott used random slomo at any and every point he possibly can, forums poster blames slomo on the ratings board and not Ridley Scott's overuse of it in everything he does.

He's also sure it was not in the theatrical version. You heard it here first, blu-rays have an auto-censor feature.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

He's also sure it was not in the theatrical version. You heard it here first, blu-rays have an auto-censor feature.

The blu ray players are sentient, dude.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

The pHo posted:

Now now, if it wasn't or b-r.com I wouldn't have anywhere to sperg about BBFC logos
Could be worse. You could live in Australia.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, their logos and German ones are even worse than ours. I just prefer the US style where there's a small rating on the back, not shoved down your throat and doesn't get in the way of the art at every opportunity. I think my Oceans boxset has something like 17 or 18 ratings certs on it... I mean, is it really necessary?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So do not buy the Highlander Directors Cut if you want to see VHS scenes out of nowhere.

In the scene near the start where Connor dies it cut to a scene with a camera floating above and it made me loving shoot up out of bed with how terrible it looked. I should have really read some more reviews. It was only $8 but ugh, that was terrible.

Also, I thought this movie was a little better but my memory must be hazy cause this movie is a piece of poo poo -- the old guy doing backflips at the start for no loving reason, Kurgan's first fight in modern times is the cheesiest poo poo and the Queen soundtrack is terrible (Princes of the Universe owns though).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Vintersorg posted:

So do not buy the Highlander Directors Cut if you want to see VHS scenes out of nowhere.

In the scene near the start where Connor dies it cut to a scene with a camera floating above and it made me loving shoot up out of bed with how terrible it looked. I should have really read some more reviews. It was only $8 but ugh, that was terrible.

It was like that on the DVD also.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Vintersorg posted:

Also, I thought this movie was a little better but my memory must be hazy cause this movie is a piece of poo poo -- the old guy doing backflips at the start for no loving reason, Kurgan's first fight in modern times is the cheesiest poo poo and the Queen soundtrack is terrible (Princes of the Universe owns though).

You could always watch the second one for comparison.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Vintersorg posted:

In the scene near the start where Connor dies it cut to a scene with a camera floating above and it made me loving shoot up

So bad it turned you immediately to drugs? Tht's rough.

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002
Has anyone picked up the Five Deadly Venoms blu ray? I didn't see any reviews for it on bluray.com, dvdbeaver or thedigitalbits.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A shitton of movies just dropped to $6 on Amazon

Some good, some horrible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sporadic posted:

A shitton of movies just dropped to $6 on Amazon

Some good, some horrible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

Where does Birdemic fall?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I really wasn't planning on upgrading my DVDs but for $6 a pop, there's almost no reason not to.

Or are there new Blu-Ray editions coming out of these films?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where does Birdemic fall?

I heard horrible from people who like so bad it's good movies like The Room.

Cheesus posted:

I really wasn't planning on upgrading my DVDs but for $6 a pop, there's almost no reason not to.

Not that I know of.

The Scream movies were just released two months ago.

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I got mine the other day as well, the deal was too great to pass up and it was well worth waiting on the long shipping period. I've been wanting these movies since before the Blu-Rays and now I finally own them in beautiful quality- one of the few sets where I actually give a poo poo about watching all the featurettes and extra content, and it even has me curious to watch Resurrection again just because everything looks so drat good, although that'll probably wind up being a mistake.

What's the word on the Alien 3 docu? I remember the "Quadrilogy" being surrounded by some controversy, as there had been some cuts made to the documentary to sanitize some of Fincher's struggle on set. I've been hoping that the BD version would finallyfinally offer the full cut of the Alien 3 docu.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh also regarding Alien3, does the BluRay still have the same audio problems as the Quadrilogy box set version?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

the_psychologist posted:

What's the word on the Alien 3 docu? I remember the "Quadrilogy" being surrounded by some controversy, as there had been some cuts made to the documentary to sanitize some of Fincher's struggle on set. I've been hoping that the BD version would finallyfinally offer the full cut of the Alien 3 docu.

According to the wikipedia it says it was all put back in for the blu ray.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Cheesus posted:

I'm not that knowledgeable on most of them, but there is an extended cut of Rambo, though from what I understand it's not that much different than the standard edition.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh also regarding Alien3, does the BluRay still have the same audio problems as the Quadrilogy box set version?

They re-ADRed and polished up the audio track. It's not perfect, but it's better than the Quadrilogy DVD.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Digital Bits reviews of Barry Lyndon and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Rumor of Breakfast at Tiffany's on 8/23

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

DeepDiscount is a lovely, lovely store but if you have an account with them and used their wishlist feature, check your email.

They gave out a $10 giftcard that can be used on anything.

I grabbed Nixon for $1.78 shipped. Shame that Bloodsport/Timecop for $10.99 is in-stock but unable to be added to the cart and that I only have $4 in my bank account. $12.99 for The Illusionist would have been awesome too.

It showed up today. Not bad considering the reputation they have now.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I'm surprised to be the first to post this. The Man with No Name Trilogy on Blu Ray for $23.99 as Amazon's Deal of the Day.

I've never seen any of these but I am really tempted to blind buy at this price. I have to believe that I would like these movies if I gave them a chance.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm surprised to be the first to post this. The Man with No Name Trilogy on Blu Ray for $23.99 as Amazon's Deal of the Day.

I've never seen any of these but I am really tempted to blind buy at this price. I have to believe that I would like these movies if I gave them a chance.

They are all fantastic movies, and for that price it's not even worth thinking twice about. Unless you're cheap and broke like me. :sigh: If I make good tips tonight I'll grab it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

They are all fantastic movies, and for that price it's not even worth thinking twice about. Unless you're cheap and broke like me. :sigh: If I make good tips tonight I'll grab it.

I just about did it since I got paid today but after taking another look at my finances I just can't justify it right now. Kind of blew my wad on my wife's birthday so now I have to play it cool for a bit. Sucks that I have to miss out but oh well. Hopefully some other goons get a deal they otherwise wouldn't have seen. At least I can feel good about that.

• Locked thread