Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
Ok, BC question involving hair loss.

My birth control history is a year or so on the pill back when I was 17 and the Nuvaring for the several years between then and a few months ago (I'm 23). Back in September I missed a ring. I wasn't sexually active at the time (my husband was deployed) so I didn't have to use a back-up method or anything, I just started the next ring when I was supposed to, leaving me unprotected for the month and a week or whatever. Within a week of starting the new ring, I started having hair loss. Since I wasn't that fond of the Nuvaring anyway I decided to change my BC and get off the hormones. It took me a few months to find someone to help me but on Dec. 1 I got a copper IUD. Unfortunately the hair loss hasn't stopped and my doctor has been exceedingly unhelpful. I'm still hoping it will stop on its own but does this timeline suggest that it won't? I'm going to start being tested for other things that might cause it, even if I have to fight my doctor tooth and nail to get the tests done but since most of them are a lot more serious than "hormones balancing" I'm still hoping it is caused by my birth control.

Anyone else ever dealt with this? It's making me really self conscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

evelynevvie posted:

Another quick question about the Depo shot: How long should it take for any weird side effects to show up? Other than a slight soreness in the arm I got the shot, I haven't really had anything new happen. It's only been about 3 or 4 days though.

I was on Depo for about three years. For the first two and a half of those years, I was fine, no side effects at all. I loved Depo. Then out of nowhere sex started to get painful. Turned out I wasn't producing enough lubrication anymore. My options were to continue on Depo and use a suppository estrogen cream, or switch to a new form of birth control. I tried the former, but it became too much to deal with, so I went back to the pill. This was all in the late 90's, if that matters.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Ugh, I wish there was some way I could look into the future and see if switching to Implanon will cause the same effects Nuvaring does in me.

I get super emo and want to break up with my boyfriend anywhere from two weeks before to a week after my period. I cry really easily now, when I never did before. I've been on it about 8 months now, and the symptoms lessen and worsen seemingly randomly. I'll have a great month and then suddenly a lovely one. My sister is on the ring too and says she gets similar effects as well.
I want to try a different, low-maintenance method (I'll never be able to remember pills) but the unknown in whether it'll be better or worse or the same is keeping me on the ring. That and the thought of an endless period if I'm unlucky with an IUD or Implanon. Sigh.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

"chapstickie" posted:

My birth control history is a year or so on the pill back when I was 17 and the Nuvaring for the several years between then and a few months ago (I'm 23). Back in September I missed a ring. I wasn't sexually active at the time (my husband was deployed) so I didn't have to use a back-up method or anything, I just started the next ring when I was supposed to, leaving me unprotected for the month and a week or whatever. Within a week of starting the new ring, I started having hair loss. Since I wasn't that fond of the Nuvaring anyway I decided to change my BC and get off the hormones. It took me a few months to find someone to help me but on Dec. 1 I got a copper IUD. Unfortunately the hair loss hasn't stopped and my doctor has been exceedingly unhelpful. I'm still hoping it will stop on its own but does this timeline suggest that it won't? I'm going to start being tested for other things that might cause it, even if I have to fight my doctor tooth and nail to get the tests done but since most of them are a lot more serious than "hormones balancing" I'm still hoping it is caused by my birth control.

Anyone else ever dealt with this? It's making me really self conscious.

Given that the hair loss is still going on, an the fact that you weren't losing hair while using the ring before you missed one (right?), this doesn't sound to me like it was caused by the Nuvaring. The timeline doesn't fit.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

DRP Solved! posted:

Given that the hair loss is still going on, an the fact that you weren't losing hair while using the ring before you missed one (right?), this doesn't sound to me like it was caused by the Nuvaring. The timeline doesn't fit.

I was more thinking it might have been caused by stopping the Nuvaring. It took a little bit of time to start falling out after the first missed ring. So basically

Sept- no ring, tiny bit of hair loss
Oct- yes ring, hair loss
Nov- yes ring, hair loss
Dec- no ring, hair loss
Jan- no ring, hair loss

and so on until now.

I guess I'm mostly curious how long it should be taking for my hormones to even out after stopping the ring.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

chapstickie posted:

I was more thinking it might have been caused by stopping the Nuvaring. It took a little bit of time to start falling out after the first missed ring. So basically

Sept- no ring, tiny bit of hair loss
Oct- yes ring, hair loss
Nov- yes ring, hair loss
Dec- no ring, hair loss
Jan- no ring, hair loss

and so on until now.

I guess I'm mostly curious how long it should be taking for my hormones to even out after stopping the ring.

Are you having any other symptoms along with the hair loss? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it does seem kind of odd that you would start having something like this after using the ring for so long with no effects. It seems more likely that you have something else going on that just happened to start at the same time you skipped a ring.

As for your question, the last time I stopped taking birth control it took about 3 or 4 months for everything to really normalize. I stopped taking it around November and everything was pretty regular by February. I was taking pills though, I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I have a couple questions.

1. Has anybody else suddenly become allergic to the patch (or the adhesive)? I was on it for 2+ years but this spring I started having really horrible irritation and itching skin underneath wherever I put the patch. When I removed them each week, I had red scabby marks where the patches had been. I continued using them for an additional month because I didn't know what was causing it, until it became unbearable.

I'm really pissed because I've been on nearly everything (and hated everything else) during the past several years. Pills (Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Cyclen Lo), NuvaRing, and now the patch. I don't want Implanon or an IUD, and I'm not interested in Depo.

2. I just started Ortho Tri Cyclen last Monday, and somewhere along the line I accidentally took two pills in one day — you can see why I was using the patch. I wasn't sure whether to take Thursday's pill on Wednesday (when I realized my mistake) or to wait until Thursday, so I just took it Wednesday and decided that my new start date for packs was Sunday. Was this a good idea?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

fork bomb posted:

Were you prescribed the Loestrin because you were having continuous bleeding? I'm really interested in the details of your experience because I'm also on Implanon and I've been having acne like a mofo for like 4 years now. I don't want to give up the security of Implanon to switch to a pill but I'd love the benefits of using both. Addendum: I'm 27 and I smoke; I know there's a higher risk for heart attack with smokers on the pill.

Yeah, it was to deal with the bleeding. I got my Implanon put in a little over a year ago. The nurse who inserted it told me on the day that if I had lots of bleeding issues after the usual adjustment period then I should come back in and they could possibly put me on the pill for three months to sort it out. The bleeding wasn't continuous for me, but I was basically having strong periods three times a month, which was pretty miserable. After eight months, I made an appointment with my GP, explained my circumstances and what the nurse had said, and she wrote me a Loestrin 20 prescription immediately. Initially it was only for three months, but at the end of those three months I told her I'd been having good experiences so far, so she gave me another six months worth.

I switched to a different GP across the UK between getting the implant and getting Loestrin 20, so it seems like a standard NHS solution for crazy Implanon bleeding. However, I don't know how it would be elsewhere, or if they'd be more hesitant if you're a smoker (I'm not) or just want it for acne. I don't think Implanon was giving me bad skin in the first place, but the pill just happened to help, so that was a pleasant side effect.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

bobula posted:

Ugh, I wish there was some way I could look into the future and see if switching to Implanon will cause the same effects Nuvaring does in me.

Seeing as they have completely different hormones it is safe to say it won't be the same; what it will be like is a whole other question.

samizdat posted:

1. Has anybody else suddenly become allergic to the patch (or the adhesive)?

2. I just started Ortho Tri Cyclen last Monday, and somewhere along the line I accidentally took two pills in one day — you can see why I was using the patch. I wasn't sure whether to take Thursday's pill on Wednesday (when I realized my mistake) or to wait until Thursday, so I just took it Wednesday and decided that my new start date for packs was Sunday. Was this a good idea?

1. I don't want to say allergic, but yes, after about a year and half of being on the patch my skin was starting to look funny. Did you alternate the sites from left/right every week? Also did you alternate sites every once in a while. Doing just left/right on the same site seemed to cause it, but placing them on my buttock one week, then my hip another, then my shoulder another seemed to prevent the irritation.

2. I'm not totally sure what you mean here. Did you or did you not start on Sunday? You shouldn't really take your first pill on Monday and then decide you're a Sunday start. However, you're probably fine. Make sure to use a back up for 7 days because it may affect the effectiveness by your doing that, but from now on as long as you take one a day you should be ok.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

samizdat posted:

1. Has anybody else suddenly become allergic to the patch (or the adhesive)? I was on it for 2+ years but this spring I started having really horrible irritation and itching skin underneath wherever I put the patch. When I removed them each week, I had red scabby marks where the patches had been. I continued using them for an additional month because I didn't know what was causing it, until it became unbearable.

I'm really pissed because I've been on nearly everything (and hated everything else) during the past several years. Pills (Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Cyclen Lo), NuvaRing, and now the patch. I don't want Implanon or an IUD, and I'm not interested in Depo.

There are tons of other brands/formulations to try if the Ortho pills aren't working for you. Most of the ones you listed are more like variations on the same pill.

I can't really say if what you did was a good idea or not, but if you're sexually active right now it seems like backup birth control might be a good idea for a little while at least. Otherwise I guess just stick to the new schedule if that's going to work for you. But I'm no medical expert so if you're really unsure, check with your doctor on that.

I know you've probably seen it a million times in the thread already, but I have an alarm programmed into my cell phone for the same time everyday to remind me of my pill. I used to forget/mix-up pills all the time until I started doing that. Even if the phone alarm isn't your thing, just find something that'll remind you to take your pill around the same time everyday. Eventually it'll become ingrained and very routine.

Ho0Ly
Oct 24, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Alright, almost 3 weeks after getting paragard, looks like I'm getting it removed :( It's very painful and I'm starting to bleed. Guessing it's a perforation. Of course it's Saturday so I have to wait another few hours before PP opens :(

Oowwwww

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
So I'm a paranoid guy who doesn't want a child now or anytime in the near future. My girlfriend uses the Nuvaring, and I also wear condoms. Is using spermicidal condoms going to effect the Nuvaring in anyway? Am I being too cautious because I am already using 2 forms of birth control?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Harry Privates posted:

So I'm a paranoid guy who doesn't want a child now or anytime in the near future. My girlfriend uses the Nuvaring, and I also wear condoms. Is using spermicidal condoms going to effect the Nuvaring in anyway? Am I being too cautious because I am already using 2 forms of birth control?

You are fine. The Nuvaring is awesome, it releases hormones continuously, it's not like the pill where if you miss a pill or take it too late you could be unprotected. Plus the condoms. You could prolly ditch the condoms if you wanted. It's hard to gently caress up the ring, and if for some reason it comes out, it will still be effective as long as it's not out for more than 3 hours in a 24 hour period.

Relax dude and enjoy some sexing. ;)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Harry Privates posted:

Adding spermicides to condoms won't increase their effectiveness, and spermicides have their fair share of drawbacks (irritating to mucous tissue, increase the risk of UTIs in women, they taste bad, etc). In other words, don't do it! Besides, you're already using two forms of birth control that are both highly effective on their own.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Harry Privates posted:

Spermicidal condoms actually do more harm than good and can irritate the bacterial balance in vaginas and cause yeast infections. Use regular condoms if you want the extra peace of mind for yourself though, no harm in it.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I was on the pill for seven years (four different brands, If I remember correctly) and while they worked great with menstrual pains and all that they completely killed my sex drive. I've been off birth control for two and a half years and as I've got a regular sex partner now I want to get back on something. I'm a bit hesitant with the pill though, because I don't want my sex drive to go down again.

I'm considering the ring as I've heard many good things about it. How is it with killing the sex drive? Am I potentially screwed with any kind of hormonal birth control?

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

NaturalLow posted:

There are tons of other brands/formulations to try if the Ortho pills aren't working for you. Most of the ones you listed are more like variations on the same pill.

Yeah, I just realized that most of these pills were tried nearly 10 (!!) years ago when Ortho ruled the market. I'm leaning toward one of the extended period suppression pills. I've done that with other methods, but it'd be nice to see what else is out there now.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

oliven posted:

I was on the pill for seven years (four different brands, If I remember correctly) and while they worked great with menstrual pains and all that they completely killed my sex drive. I've been off birth control for two and a half years and as I've got a regular sex partner now I want to get back on something. I'm a bit hesitant with the pill though, because I don't want my sex drive to go down again.

I'm considering the ring as I've heard many good things about it. How is it with killing the sex drive? Am I potentially screwed with any kind of hormonal birth control?

What were you on before? There are a lot of methods that use a lower dose of hormones than pills; I believe Nuvaring is one of those, so it may be helpful in that way. Talk with your doctor/gyno frankly about your concerns and hopefully you can work something out.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

Eggplant Wizard posted:

What were you on before? There are a lot of methods that use a lower dose of hormones than pills; I believe Nuvaring is one of those, so it may be helpful in that way. Talk with your doctor/gyno frankly about your concerns and hopefully you can work something out.

I started with Yasmin but changed pretty quickly to Trionetta, which I was on for a few years. Then I switched to Synfase (which has the highest dose of hormones I think) and after realising my body was not very happy with that I switched to Microgynon. I was on that for a year or two before I stopped taking pills altogether.

I'll definitely talk to my doctor too, I just want to come in slightly more prepared than not at all :)

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

oliven posted:

Well I will tell you how it was when I used the ring a few years ago.

I wanted to hump EVERYTHING. People, furniture, cars, you name it. Some days I was afraid to go near the produce in the grocery store for fear of the reaction I'd have to cucumbers.

Ok not really but you get my point. My sex drive went through the roof. Of course YMMV and I am not a doctor, but that was my experience.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My sex drive is pretty much neutral on Nuvaring, but I've also seen plenty of posters in the last thread that completely lost their sex drive from it. So yeah, give it a try, but try to not dwell on it too much or you might mentally shut yourself down without realizing it.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

chapstickie posted:

Oh man, I cam here to post about my worries, but yours seem to be worse and stranger than mine. I think it's weird you would start the hairloss before you came off the ring. Are you sure you're not thinking too far back and maybe your hairloss was normal before you came off it? It might be worth googling telogen effluvium. Fake edit: OK I just did a quick google and it seems like some people have found the same thing happen while actually on it.

If you get this while you are on it, I suppose it's not unusual to assume it will be worse when you come off it and that it why I came to post here.

I'd guess you have been unlucky with your BC. If you do get tested and find no other problems, please do consider getting a new shorter hairdo from a good stylist. I know it's hard to have it shorter if you don't want to, but I felt A TON better having had my hair cut short after my last round of TE (illness related).

For my problem: I've been on the minipill Cerazette for about 7 months. Right around the time my period stopped (3 months in), I feel like Sampson having had his hair cut off.

My libido is completely scuppered and I'm having anxiety attacks. At first I put the latter down to a stressful life situation, but now that's slacked off a little (and that I could handle most things before) I realised it's my BC.

I had the same thing before when I was on Marvelon for a few years, except I didn't really notice the libido loss until I came off it. It's weird like that. I also had more serious problems when I was on Marvelon in that I also had syncope attacks. They went away when I came off it.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm 38 and I smoke so the doc won't put me on something with supposedly less side effects like Yasmin.

I wanted non-hormonal so I was keen on the diaphragm, but it seems docs will only prescribe it to you if you can touch your cervix. I cannot, and nobody I know can.

I thought about the coil, but I have a 3 week natural cycle, quite heavy, and I really don't want to make it any worse.

I'm mostly worried about coming off the pill. I had the same problems on it as last time except worse. Last time when I came off it, I lost a lot of hair (a handful almost per shower) and my skin went incredibly greasy for about four months (makeup would just slide off when I tried to put it on). Is there any way to come off hormonal pills gradually to lessen the side effects?

I know it may be science :science: but I sometimes think that BC is there to make people either more unnattractive or not want to have sex in the first place.

At this point, I have no idea how to come off the pill without losing a ton of my hair and have no idea what to try next.

VoodooSchmoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 23, 2011

secret explorer
May 13, 2011
I just went to Planned Parenthood today and was prescribed Ortho-Tricyclen Lo. I was wondering how common the side effects are (spotting, nausea, etc.) and how long they typically last. I'm worried about birth control making me moodier, especially since I take medication for depression.

Also, has anyone experienced decreased libido or painful intercourse while they were on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

secret explorer posted:

I just went to Planned Parenthood today and was prescribed Ortho-Tricyclen Lo. I was wondering how common the side effects are (spotting, nausea, etc.) and how long they typically last. I'm worried about birth control making me moodier, especially since I take medication for depression.

Also, has anyone experienced decreased libido or painful intercourse while they were on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo?

I was on that for a number of years and didn't have any bad side effects, including when I was also on antidepressants. Those are what really seemed to have libido effects :\ I might have been nauseated or something at the beginning but it was a long time ago. Generally the rule of thumb is that many side effects will go away after about 3 months on the pill.

Also, there's a generic available for OrthoTriCyclen Lo so if you're paying for your prescriptions be sure to get that.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

At this point, I have no idea how to come off the pill without losing a ton of my hair and have no idea what to try next.

Have you considered a hormonal IUD? The hormone dose is much lower than that in pills, so women generally experience fewer hormone-related side effects like depression, mood swings and changes in sex drive (they still happen though, but from what I've hears it's less frequent and less severe.) I believe the most common side effect is spotting or loss of periods and cramping, though with the hormonal IUD the cramping isn't as bad or common as it is for the non-hormonal IUD.

You can go right from the pill to a hormonal IUD with no break in hormones - just the lower dose. It might be something to look in to - have a talk with your doctor at least!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've been meaning to ask this. If I ever switch birth controls it will probably be Mirena. But I've read pieces and parts of information over the years and sugguest Mirena is known to make your skin break out pretty bad. My skin is already prone to poo poo, and I have to take antibiotics yearly every winter because I'm sensitive to dry air. So I'm really apprehensive to take a chance on switching to it. :(

I guess I'm wondering if there's any known reason (other than "hormones") for why it makes people break out more than other hormonal birth controls, assuming it's true.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I just started birth control (for pain management - not baby prevention). I am a week into my pack. I have just started bleeding again. Only it's not normal blood at all. It's thick, brown paste and I am extremely unhappy.

My 3 year anniversary is this weekend.

How do I get this to stop? Screw the (very minimal) consequences. It's not like the boyfriend can get me pregnant anyway. He has a vasectomy. I will do anything to end this NOW.

Any thoughts or ideas?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Also, there's a generic available for OrthoTriCyclen Lo so if you're paying for your prescriptions be sure to get that.

Ummmm No, there's not. There was one the other year, but they had to stop manufacturing it because the patent is not up yet. There is, however, a generic for plain ol' Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

secret explorer posted:

I haven't, and I'd be more concerned about the continual rising cost of it than anything. It's almost doubled in price in the last 4 years. ($45 - $80 as of January) If it works for you and you're getting it cheaper, cool. Plain generic Ortho Tri-Cyclen has been giving me the same results, and it's only $9 at Walmart. It's also still considered a low dose pill despite being higher than the Lo.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kdc67 posted:

Ummmm No, there's not. There was one the other year, but they had to stop manufacturing it because the patent is not up yet. There is, however, a generic for plain ol' Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Durp. Sorry about that.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

Haji posted:

I just started birth control (for pain management - not baby prevention). I am a week into my pack. I have just started bleeding again. Only it's not normal blood at all. It's thick, brown paste and I am extremely unhappy.

How do I get this to stop? Screw the (very minimal) consequences. It's not like the boyfriend can get me pregnant anyway. He has a vasectomy. I will do anything to end this NOW.

Any thoughts or ideas?

If you don't think the bleeding will stop on its own, you could try what I did when I was on Loestrin 24 Fe. Immediately starting the second week on the pill I had heavy breakthrough bleeding that got much, much heavier the longer I was on it. I called my gyno and she said to stop taking the pill, wait about a week for everything to bleed out, then restart it using a new pack. I followed her advice and didn't have any problems with bleeding after that (though I stopped taking the pill shortly after for other reasons, so I can't say that it wouldn't have given me the same problem down the road). Since you're not worried about getting pregnant it shouldn't be a problem for you to not be on birth control right now. No guarantees that stopping the pill will stop the bleeding right away, but hopefully it may subside enough to not gently caress up your anniversary!

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Sounds good. Not perfect. Frankly I'll probably still bleed through my anniversary. But considering that these pills are turning me not into an emotional wreck, but into an emotional wrecking ball, I'm sure that anything is an improvement.

I will also be talking to my doctor about this. Mood swings this wild are really horrible.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

secret explorer posted:

When I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, I wasn't sexually active so I can't really comment on the painful intercourse thing, but I definitely noticed a decrease in my libido. That was actually why I stopped taking it, because I just didn't feel like myself in a lot of ways. Kind of lethargic or something.

When I started the pill again, I told the doctor about my previous problems and she suggested Orto Tri Cyclen since apparently it's got a higher dose of estrogen and that can help with libido. I've been on it over a year now and so far I haven't had any sexual problems with it. And like others have said, it's a hell of a lot cheaper. The Lo version cost me $45 a pack, while I'm getting my current prescription free from the clinic I go to (which I realize is unusual, but even $9 isn't that bad.)

Haji posted:

Any thoughts or ideas?

Sounds like breakthrough bleeding. It does tend to be more like some weird brownish junk, I guess because it's such a light flow of blood. The only solution I've found is what Not Your Senorita suggested. I usually just have to take a placebo week and "bleed it out" so to speak. Then I start a new pack and everything's fine. I don't know if it'll work for you, but that's all I know of.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

NaturalLow posted:

Sounds like breakthrough bleeding. It does tend to be more like some weird brownish junk, I guess because it's such a light flow of blood. The only solution I've found is what Not Your Senorita suggested. I usually just have to take a placebo week and "bleed it out" so to speak. Then I start a new pack and everything's fine. I don't know if it'll work for you, but that's all I know of.

I'm not convinced that taking a placebo week one week after staring birth control for the first time will fix the breakthrough bleeding, and it certainly won't help mood swings. Rapid changes in hormone levels = not good for side effects...

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Bagleworm posted:

I'm not convinced that taking a placebo week one week after staring birth control for the first time will fix the breakthrough bleeding, and it certainly won't help mood swings. Rapid changes in hormone levels = not good for side effects...

I'm with you on this. There's a reason we recommend sticking to birth control for at least 3 months before quitting, save for some serious side-effects. Taking it for a week and then pausing for another week may just bring along withdrawal bleeding, and then breakthrough bleeding may happen again when you restart it.

There's pretty much zero guarantee that the bleeding will stop by this weekend if you stop taking it now, too. On the other hand, this bleeding may stop by this weekend if you continue on it.

Educated Eggdicator
Sep 4, 2006
Yeah, stopping after a week will very likely trigger a withdrawal bleed (i.e. a full-on period), which I don't think would be a great thing for your anniversary plans.

And like the above posters have said, when you restart you're just going to get spotting again. Staying on it will probably give you the best shot of having no bleeding by the weekend.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

I wasn't recommending that she take a placebo week one week after starting the pills. What I meant (and admittedly didn't express very well) was that the only way I've ever gotten the bleeding to stop was to just put up with it until I got to the placebo week, not "stop taking your pills right now, then start them again after a week."

Sorry I didn't get it across in my last post.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

Bagleworm posted:

While it did work in my case (though I am aware my situation was different), I can attest to having severe mood swings and other side effects I didn't have before after going back on the pill a week later. I didn't mention it since it didn't seem like there were any problems other than the breakthrough bleeding, but yeah, if you're also trying to avoid crazy-rear end mood swings, stopping and restarting probably won't help with that :/ Sorry.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hey guys, I need some reassurance.
I was on Yasmin for the last 5 years or so. My prescription ran out and I went to a new doctor today (at PP, god I love them) for a new prescription. It turns out my crippling aura migraines, which I thought were inherited from my mother, were being caused by the Yasmin. :( The new doctor was completely shocked my old doctor let me stay on it for so long and she prescribed me Nora-BE POPs.
Does anyone have good experiences with progestin only pills they could tell me? After what was going on with the Yasmin I'm pretty nervous about side effects from a new pill. Google keeps auto prompting "Nora-BE WEIGHT GAIN" over and over.
I know that one person's experience with a drug can be 100% different than mine will be, but it would make me feel a little better to read it anyway. :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Panzer Skank posted:

I was on Yasmin for the last 5 years or so. My prescription ran out and I went to a new doctor today (at PP, god I love them) for a new prescription. It turns out my crippling aura migraines, which I thought were inherited from my mother, were being caused by the Yasmin. :( The new doctor was completely shocked my old doctor let me stay on it for so long and she prescribed me Nora-BE POPs.
Does anyone have good experiences with progestin only pills they could tell me? After what was going on with the Yasmin I'm pretty nervous about side effects from a new pill. Google keeps auto prompting "Nora-BE WEIGHT GAIN" over and over.
I know that one person's experience with a drug can be 100% different than mine will be, but it would make me feel a little better to read it anyway. :)

If it makes you feel any better, you can find tons of complaints through Google about weight gain for just about every pill out there. Every time I've researched a pill, I found a ton of that stuff regardless of the brand or what kind of hormones it used.

Also keep in mind that most people aren't going to go online and be like "I took such-and-such pill, nothing happened to me and it works great! :) " They aren't going to notice and complain unless it's a negative side effect, so it kind skews towards the negative.

I don't have any personal experience with Nora-BE so I can't help there, but just something to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Panzer Skank posted:

The lesson here is that you should never believe anything you read from googling a subject. POPs aren't associated with weight gain, and the Google testimonies tend to blame birth control for problems that were likely caused by external lifestyle issues (stress, birthday cake, etc).

Being a dude-goon, I also don't have any experience with a POP, but I think it would be great if you came back and shared your experience once you've started it.

• Locked thread