Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

tarepanda posted:

Country domains are called ccTLDs, and what you're looking for is called a "domain hack."

http://xona.com/domainhacks/

That is the exact site I was looking for! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the best thread here to ask for recommendations for a beard trimmer?

(Or if anyone wants to answer that here, they can do that too...)

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

haveblue posted:

What's the best thread here to ask for recommendations for a beard trimmer?

(Or if anyone wants to answer that here, they can do that too...)

I just bought a Norelco "all in one" set last weekend and so far I am happy with it. I never shave down to the skin however, just trim everything down. It has a removable top for the other various functions.

It was under twenty bucks at Target.

http://norelcog370.com/norelco-g370-images-pictures.htm

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is there a way to search within threads beyond ctrl-f? Like, without having to scan each page individually for a particular phrase?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JDanielS posted:

Is there a way to search within threads beyond ctrl-f? Like, without having to scan each page individually for a particular phrase?

You could do a forums search for the particular subforum your thread is in, choose "Group Results by thread", find the thread in question, then click the "This thread has X matching posts" link to get a listing of all the mentions of your keyword or phrase within that thread.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

JDanielS posted:

The SALR add-on also has a search within thread function at the top left hand corner of each page.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
It may be I only notice if this occurs.. but why does it seem that used hardcover books are cheaper than used paperback books on amazon? I'm talking including shipping, cheapest overall price is usually a hardcover more often that not.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

deleted

Shy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 15, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

My rear end in a top hat cat chewed through the power adaptor for my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive. This isn't the first time the little rear end in a top hat has destroyed a power cord, but unlike the others, this one couldn't be replaced with an aftermarket one from RadioShack. Tried searching for a replace both via Seagate and the manufacturer of the power supply without luck. Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thauros posted:

My rear end in a top hat cat chewed through the power adaptor for my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive. This isn't the first time the little rear end in a top hat has destroyed a power cord, but unlike the others, this one couldn't be replaced with an aftermarket one from RadioShack. Tried searching for a replace both via Seagate and the manufacturer of the power supply without luck. Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement?

You can't get some electrical tape or heatshrink tubing? Or maybe I'm really cheap.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone know where online to get a bicorne that isn't a "Napoleon" hat?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Thauros posted:

My rear end in a top hat cat chewed through the power adaptor for my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive.

Can you show us a picture of the damage? It looks like you want something that puts out 12 volts DC at 2 amps. I could be wrong about the numbers, but the bottom line is you need something that will put out the correct amount of volts and amps and will connect to your drive. The first part is pretty trivial, but the second part can be tricky, depending on what you're working with. Can you show us a picture of the part that plugs into the drive? Worst comes to worst, you could get an adapter that puts out the right amount of juice and splice the old connector onto it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Thauros posted:

If the cat just chewed through the cable you could always just splice it back together with some solder and heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've fixed other cords the cat has destroyed by splicing and taping, damage was way too severe and in too many places for this one. Cat has caused an incredible amount of damage by chewing cord amount of damage, fortunately I now live in a place where I can keep the computer poo poo closed off from him.

I've also as I said bought a couple aftermarket power supplies from RadioShack in the past, guy there said that this one couldn't be replaced due to something special about the power supply, he might have just been full of poo poo though. Splicing the connector would be an awesome idea, if I still had the bottom half.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Something like this should work.
http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-PSAD24-24-Watt-Power-Adapter/dp/B003MYLLCC/ref=pd_cp_e_1

There really is nothing special about the power supply, anything that fits the socket and is 12v 2a should work.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

How about this: http://goo.gl/j65NE

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

cheerfullydrab posted:

Try searching for 'cocked hats' as well, a number of English-speaking regions don't call them bicornes.

Here's one from the top of google: http://cockedhats.com/

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have money in my PayPal account but don't want to wait the 5-7 days for it to be deposited in my bank account. What's a faster way to get the money? Looking for it today.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Your options are pretty much nil, I'm afraid, so far as I know, unless you already have a PayPal card.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

Your options are pretty much nil, I'm afraid, so far as I know, unless you already have a PayPal card.

No PayPal card. drat. Was hoping I could transfer the cash to Western Union then go pick it up in person...this is horrible.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

No PayPal card. drat. Was hoping I could transfer the cash to Western Union then go pick it up in person...this is horrible.

It takes about half that amount of time if that makes you feel better. You don't have any friends with a PayPal debit card that you could transfer the money to?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

It takes about half that amount of time if that makes you feel better. You don't have any friends with a PayPal debit card that you could transfer the money to?

No. I'm even willing to pay someone cash to just take this Paypal and send me a WU. Like, I have $100 in my PayPal, I'd be happy only receiving $85-90 through WU and give the remainder to the person.

I really hate how fast it is to put money into PayPal, but how slow it is to take it out. I don't even see a PayPal debit card here, maybe it's only US.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

No. I'm even willing to pay someone cash to just take this Paypal and send me a WU. Like, I have $100 in my PayPal, I'd be happy only receiving $85-90 through WU and give the remainder to the person.

I really hate how fast it is to put money into PayPal, but how slow it is to take it out. I don't even see a PayPal debit card here, maybe it's only US.

Where do you live?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Where do you live?

Ontario, Canada

e: Do you know of a place that would accept PayPal and then send out WU same day?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ontario, Canada

e: Do you know of a place that would accept PayPal and then send out WU same day?

What you're looking for is a currency exchanger. Note that what you're asking for is against Paypal's acceptable use policy Under prohibited activities,

"(f), are associated with the following Money Service Business activities: the sale of traveler’s checks or money orders, currency exchanges or check cashing"

Paypal interprets this as forbidding exactly what you want to do, so it is unlikely you will find a serious exchanger that will wire you money for paypal. The fraud rates on paypal are VERY high. You might be able to find an individual willing to do this for you. Assuming someone doesn't volunteer in this thread, it would be totally acceptable to make a post in SA-Mart.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I overheard some guys at work talking about how $1 USD is equal to 86 Jamaican dollars. I have never been to Jamaica so I am not sure how the resorts and all that works, but would going over there be incredibly cheap for Americans right now or are the resorts in run with American dollars?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bojanglesworth posted:

I overheard some guys at work talking about how $1 USD is equal to 86 Jamaican dollars. I have never been to Jamaica so I am not sure how the resorts and all that works, but would going over there be incredibly cheap for Americans right now or are the resorts in run with American dollars?

The USD is equal to 86 Jamaican dollars but it's also equal to 82 Japanese yen - that doesn't make Japan cheap to visit/live in.

It's not like if something is $1 in America it's 1 Jamaican Dollar in Jamaica or anything silly like that.

In Jamaica, they have coins for 25 cents, $1, $5, $10, $20 and cash is $50, $100, $500, $1000 - that should tell you how prices are there.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

The USD is equal to 86 Jamaican dollars but it's also equal to 82 Japanese yen - that doesn't make Japan cheap to visit/live in.

It's not like if something is $1 in America it's 1 Jamaican Dollar in Jamaica or anything silly like that.

Yeah, I know that. What I am saying is, if the exchange rate is in our favor isn't it a better time for us to visit there? I guess knowing what the exchange rate was in the past would help me answer that question a little better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, I know that. What I am saying is, if the exchange rate is in our favor isn't it a better time for us to visit there? I guess knowing what the exchange rate was in the past would help me answer that question a little better.

This is basically how the exchange rate has always been - like how the Japanese yen has always bee closer to the value of a cent than a dollar.

Over the past year:, $1 US bought between J$82.11 in October, 2010 and J$89.07 in May, 2010.

This is how the exchange rate has been since 2004:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It looks like the US dollar is usually worth around 85 Jamaican dollars. I don't think the current value is significantly different enough to justify buying a whackload of foreign currency.

edit: Actually, listen to the guy above me, he has way better graphs.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

This is basically how the exchange rate has always been - like how the Japanese yen has always bee closer to the value of a cent than a dollar.

Over the past year:, $1 US bought between J$82.11 in October, 2010 and J$89.07 in May, 2010.

This is how the exchange rate has been since 2004:

Ah, I see. Thank you!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Bojanglesworth posted:

Looking at Google Finance, no, nothing's really changed, so it's not like "omg it went from $1 to $82 overnight". In 2007 the exchange rate was $1 USD to $66 JMD; now it's $1 USD to $84, with a severe drop in late 2008, imagine that, coinciding with the recession causing fewer people to vacation in Jamaica, thus hurting its economy.

After all, before the Zimbabwe central bank gave up on the whole currency thing entirely, one USD was worth (calculating all the devaluations, just for fun) around, oh... 1,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Zimbabwe dollars. But that don't mean anyone was rich.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Golbez posted:

Looking at Google Finance, no, nothing's really changed, so it's not like "omg it went from $1 to $82 overnight". In 2007 the exchange rate was $1 USD to $66 JMD; now it's $1 USD to $84, with a severe drop in late 2008, imagine that, coinciding with the recession causing fewer people to vacation in Jamaica, thus hurting its economy.

After all, before the Zimbabwe central bank gave up on the whole currency thing entirely, one USD was worth (calculating all the devaluations, just for fun) around, oh... 1,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Zimbabwe dollars. But that don't mean anyone was rich.

Just to be clear, I wasn't going to buy up a ton of Jamaican currency to try to get rich. I was talking more like going there for vacation, just like going to Europe in 2001 was much nicer to my wallet than it was in 2006.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

What you're looking for is a currency exchanger. Note that what you're asking for is against Paypal's acceptable use policy Under prohibited activities,

"(f), are associated with the following Money Service Business activities: the sale of traveler’s checks or money orders, currency exchanges or check cashing"

Paypal interprets this as forbidding exactly what you want to do, so it is unlikely you will find a serious exchanger that will wire you money for paypal. The fraud rates on paypal are VERY high. You might be able to find an individual willing to do this for you. Assuming someone doesn't volunteer in this thread, it would be totally acceptable to make a post in SA-Mart.
Looking at the rules it seems I can't make a thread asking :(

IntangiblePanda
Nov 3, 2009
I plug my headphones (Sennheiser HD 202) directly into my computer. Everything sounds crazy loud, and it seems like all my various volume adjustment options (little volume button in the taskbar, manual slider in Pandora, manual slider in VLC, etc.) are all in this crazy race to the bottom of the scale. Is there any way to change the volume range in these adjusters?

For instance, I've got VLC at 8% volume and it's just about right, and it's annoying to try to adjust the crazy small range. Is there a way to make it so that, say, 20% is the new 100%?

Sorry if this is confusing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I remember reading a thread about a guy who became a trucker and slowly started going nuts. Am I imagining things? Where is this thread?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is it this?

(Still a good read even if it isnt what you're looking for)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
No, it was actually a forum thread about a real trucker. He was posting from the road or something. It may be ongoing.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Funnily enough, you're both right - It's still Bruiser, he found a new vocation as a long-haul trucker. Here's the link to all his posts in that thread, which is one of history's greatest documents of the rapid descent of the human mind into madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
There's a local islamic center here in town I've been wanting to check out services at. I'm not thinking of converting, I'm just very curious about it. Thing is, I'm a woman; would I be required to cover up by their customs, or what? I don't have a problem doing it I just don't want to show up and insult anyone by not being covered.