Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

What's the difference between ordering KYB GR-2 from Here and ordering each individually from Amazon

http://amzn.com/B002G37NS6
http://amzn.com/B002G33P6U
http://amzn.com/B002GZ5MBO
http://amzn.com/B002GZ7PNM

Besside the fact they're $272ish from Amazon and $480 from the other site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

What's the difference between ordering KYB GR-2 from Here and ordering each individually from Amazon

Besside the fact they're $272ish from Amazon and $480 from the other site.

About $207 and Amazon's fantastic return policy.

Assuming those are the correct ones etc etc.

Honestly with how much fastwrx charges for parts, I have no idea how they're still in business.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 18, 2011

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Sooo... Picked up a scan tool and pulled the codes from my WRX. I think I was happier when it was just a light on the dash and I didn't know what it was trying to tell me. :smith:

p0244 Wastegate solenoid range/performance - seems like it gets thrown for boost creep. I haven't noticed it, but then again, I have run into the fuel cut a few times, so I guess it's possible and I just was paying attention to more important things like not driving into a ditch. Consensus seems to be either porting the wastegate or adding some restriction to the exhaust. Does that sound about right?

p0442 Evap emiss control sys leak (small) - Not sure exactly what this indicates, but the solution seems to be playing whackamole with the emissions control system. Oh, and making sure the gas cap is on right. :laugh:

p0463/4 Fuel level sensor high input/intermittent - My gas guage has been erratic, so that would make sense, also, my dash illum shorted out. Is this the sort of thing that would require a full dash dissasembly to try to find a short somewhere?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Amandyke posted:

About $207 and Amazon's fantastic return policy.

Assuming those are the correct ones etc etc.

Honestly with how much fastwrx charges for parts, I have no idea how they're still in business.

According to Amazon they're compatible with the 2005 wrx wagon so I'm guessing they will work with my saabaru. I might go ahead and jump on them.

I shouldn't need strut spacers with them right?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The GR-2s are what the car has on stock. You can also get them from Rockauto.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Simkin posted:

p0244 Wastegate solenoid range/performance - seems like it gets thrown for boost creep. I haven't noticed it, but then again, I have run into the fuel cut a few times, so I guess it's possible and I just was paying attention to more important things like not driving into a ditch. Consensus seems to be either porting the wastegate or adding some restriction to the exhaust. Does that sound about right?

Are you tuned or bone-stock? I was throwing the same CEL after a recent tune, but just had to get my wastegate duty cycle dialed down a bit to handle the overboost.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: Is there really any point in going with aftermarket springs if I'm happy with my ride height and it's simply a DD and not being used for AutoX or anything along those lines?

Wrar posted:

The GR-2s are what the car has on stock. You can also get them from Rockauto.

Thanks for the info on Rockauto, never knew about them. I ended up ordering from Amazon as they ended up being slightly cheaper than Rockauto ($272 shipped vs $320ish shipped). The part #'s matched up between websites so I'm thinking I should be good to go.

Already have a buddy who's willing to install them for me for really cheap. Hoping to exchange his labor with me building him a PC :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 18, 2011

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
The Stoptech performance front pads mention "limited track use" in their description, does anyone have any experience with these on track? Now that the weather is getting better in Oregon I'm going to be doing some track days and I'd prefer to have one set of pads for street and track.

http://www.aqmotorsports.com/stoptech-30910010-stoptech-performance-front-pads-0409-p-3035.html

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Was that right? I didn't use either of the two shims, or the spacer. 11, 12, and 17.

I would definitely keep them. I did not use the factory shims with new pads but did install them after about six months. They will help fight some noise when the pads wear down. I'd just throw them on when you bleed the brakes in the future.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Stoptech doesn't really publish operating temperatures as far as I can tell, which is a bit annoying.
The Axxis ultimates they compare to goes up to 1000F, so I'd assume these are equivalent. Thank would make them comparable to Hawk Blue 9012, Carbotech AX6, Ferodo DS2500, and Pagid Orange in max operating temp, though obviously I don't know if they'd hold up as well or better than these pads (just ebcause tehy don't fade doesn't mean they won't be reduced to backing plates after 2 days). This of course doesn't tell be anything about other performance (co-efficent of friction), but stoptech makes good stuff.
For me, these would be trackable at 3355lbs with street tires, but I'd be cautious about fade. Guess they'd work fine for someone doing 1-2 track days a year. More than that, it would likely be worth the expense to get a dedicated set of pads with a higher max operating temp. quite frankly, if you're buying dedicated track pads, you should buy a set of dedicated track pads, not a street/track pad. Something that will do in excess of 1300F (or more depending on weight and driving styles)

nm fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Edit: Is there really any point in going with aftermarket springs if I'm happy with my ride height and it's simply a DD and not being used for AutoX or anything along those lines?
I wouldn't bother. The KYB GR-2s and the stock springs are fine.

If for whatever reason you go mad and want an extra inch of ride height, you can put on Forester springs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Stoptech MOT is 1050f, so really similar to the ds2500, axxis ultimate, and HP+

They're cheap enough that you can try them and if they overheat buy some track pads.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
My WRX needs new tires, like yesterday. woops. The last time I replaced them the Sumitomo HTR-Z III was the go-to bang-for-your-buck performance tire. Is this still the case? I did notice they've gone up in price by about $20/tire since I bought them.

I've enjoyed them, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I bought the General Exclaim UHP and love them. They're (comparatively) cheap as poo poo, and all the reviews were better than the Yokohama S-Drive, which was my other consideration. I'd never heard of General, but apparently they're huge in the off-roading world.

EDIT: Wow, they cost almost the exact same as the ones you linked, and when I compare their 'Surveys' side by side, they're rated almost exactly the same in every category too.

syphon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 19, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

dreggory posted:

My WRX needs new tires, like yesterday. woops. The last time I replaced them the Sumitomo HTR-Z III was the go-to bang-for-your-buck performance tire. Is this still the case? I did notice they've gone up in price by about $20/tire since I bought them.

I've enjoyed them, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500's are also rather well reviewed.

That said I have Falken Ziex ZE-912's and they've been pretty decent as an every day sort of tire. I haven't raced around with them much, but at the same time I've never lost traction or even heard them squeal under cornering. That might be more an indication of my driving rather than the awesomeness of the tires though.

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 19, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just mounted a set of Hankook Ventus R-S3s, which seem to be pretty good so far. I'm not sure how they stack up against older performance tires, but Grassroots Motorsports seemed to like them in their comparison.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dreggory posted:

Yes, or maybe Hankook ventus V12s 9they were having a massive sale on those a while back, dunno if they still do).
I prefer the Sumitomos (had them, now have the kooks) in the dry, the kooks in teh wet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

RS3s are the stickiest street tire out there right now- faster on track than Yoko AD08s, RE11s, and star specs etc.

I was considering a set but saved $100 and went with the V12s instead.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

RS3s are the stickiest street tire out there right now- faster on track than Yoko AD08s, RE11s, and star specs etc.

I was considering a set but saved $100 and went with the V12s instead.

Also the V12s will last twice as long.

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
I've had the V12's for about 5,000 miles on my '08 WRX and I like the grip and lack of noise. I haven't seen any wear yet but I will try some burnouts tomorrow and get back to you. They were a good deal from the stealership with my subaru bucks ($460 installed.)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I am going to kill the fucktard who decided the fuel filter should be in the fuel tank.

Subaru, a fuel filter IS NOT a lifetime part! You utter clueless morons, what were you thinking?!?!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

I am going to kill the fucktard who decided the fuel filter should be in the fuel tank.

Subaru, a fuel filter IS NOT a lifetime part! You utter clueless morons, what were you thinking?!?!
On the bugeyes it was in the engine bay. I'm not sure why they changed it.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
only have 42" of ground clearance now :allears:

Racecomp Engineering springs are finally on

Still need to go check out what driving around on poo poo-rear end DC streets will be like but so far the car is more comfortable and no longer wallows around like paraplegic on a crowded trampoline.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

3'6" of ground clearance?

Nice car. My blue one is due anyday now from the factory. How do you like your legacy? Mines not a Turbo sadly, just an standard econo-box.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
yeah no idea what the actual ground clearance is now, but it was a 3/4" drop

Legacy is definitely the poo poo for my purposes -- it's roomy, comfortable, whisper quiet and gets relatively decent mileage for what it is (30-31mpg on the highway)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On the bugeyes it was in the engine bay. I'm not sure why they changed it.

ON the 04 it was engine bay too. Nice simple thing to replace, not this monstrosity that it is now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hey look an assembled and running subaru with a dyno appointment in one hour:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, that TMIC looks really tiny even compared to my thumbnail one.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

and that's an upgraded AVO IC. The stock one for the legacy and 08+ wrx sucks- they break at around 19-20 psi.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

and that's an upgraded AVO IC. The stock one for the legacy and 08+ wrx sucks- they break at around 19-20 psi.

How are those plastic manifolds holding up?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no problems with the plastic manifolds. they flow really well, don't transfer a lot of heat, and work really well flipped around with a front mount. Don't even have to mess with the alternator or a/c belts and such. I've seen guys making 550+ whp and 30psi on them.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oh man, so my car is starting to develop a rod knock and I'm looking at used engines and...

Good lord, the engine codes! SO MANY!

Anybody have any sort of idea what separates an EJ222 from an EJ223, and if I could use an EJ222 in an EJ223 car (mine currently has an EJ223). I'm just baffled and solid information on this is borderline impossible to find.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My 2001 Forester failed safety inspection because it's "pissing oil from the head gasket on to the exhaust."

My son and I will attempt a head gasket job with the engine in the car. I'll take lots of pictures and will post them for all of you who wonder if you can do this on your own.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

Or less, mine broke and never made 19 psi.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Someone made this reinforcing bracket for the plastic endtanks, I've been thinking about doing something similar: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2106384 and running an OTC stage 2 map while staying as stock as possible until the warranty is up.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

daslog posted:

My 2001 Forester failed safety inspection because it's "pissing oil from the head gasket on to the exhaust."

My son and I will attempt a head gasket job with the engine in the car. I'll take lots of pictures and will post them for all of you who wonder if you can do this on your own.

You'll want this forum thread:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/how-replace-ej25-head-gaskets-without-removing-engine-57335/

I've had it bookmarked since I got my 03 last year, just in case. Couple links to other threads in there as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

loving drat it, now the 06 is thrown ANOTHER CEL that the datalogger missed.

There are times I curse modern electronics when a problem is this elusive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I had a ghost CEL on my 06 as well. The emissions air pump was unplugged at the time, so that might have been the cause.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

hey look a shiny blue car:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone know a place to get a decent alignment in north NJ that doesn't cost $300? Knowing how to adjust castor on a Subaru is also a plus.