Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JP Money posted:

I can't even tell you how much easier they are. If you can trade up, try it out. It's pretty ridiculous due to the dirtbike bars - they give you a ton of leverage at low speeds to where you barely have to counterlean to do sharp u-turns and such.

The TW especially has such fat tires too that it doesn't really lean at all and just turns. Also - don't be afraid to ride the clutch when doing u-turns. I also tend to drag the rear brake a bit when doing low-speed u-turns. To me it helps set the rear suspension in place and make the turn much smoother / consistent. Please don't jam on the rear brake mid-turn though unless you like folding in on yourself and eating poo poo.

If it's any consolation we only had 1 TW in the group and I had to win at least 5 games of rock-paper-scissors for the privilege to ride it the entire weekend. Most of us were fairly experienced dirtbikers too so we kind of just hosed around the whole weekend when our instructor turned his back.

Well this really gives me hope. I'm getting there really early tomorrow, so maybe I can snag one of the dual sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You should have enough time between the morning and test-time to get used to it. Also, don't be surprised if your "test" is literally the EXACT same thing you just did in practice. Same cones, same everything.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
I can attest to the TW200 being easymode. Rest of the class was hauling around clapped out Rebels and GZ250s, I was on the TW200 and ran circles around them.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

My only regret is that the instructor never looked away long enough for me to try to get that thing up on one wheel - in either direction. :negative:

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Passed my MSF! You guys were right about those dual sports being easy mode. I switched to a a dirt-bike looking thing that wasn't the TW200 that had a skinnier rear tire (it was a 250 - can't remember the model). The handling was much better.

I was gonna go get my license tomorrow, but the loving DMV is closed on Mondays, so I'll get it Tuesday. Oh, well. I'll probably go riding tomorrow anyway. I'm anxious to see how the SV rides compared to the MSF bike.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Fangs404 posted:

I was gonna go get my license tomorrow, but the loving DMV is closed on Mondays, so I'll get it Tuesday. Oh, well. I'll probably go riding tomorrow anyway. I'm anxious to see how the SV rides compared to the MSF bike.

Hahaha, I was in this same position couple years back. Oh the jump from the toy bikes in MSF to the 650 was such a 'oh this is what real speed feels like' moment for me. Enjoy the bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

Passed my MSF! You guys were right about those dual sports being easy mode. I switched to a a dirt-bike looking thing that wasn't the TW200 that had a skinnier rear tire (it was a 250 - can't remember the model). The handling was much better.

Wait til you then hop on even a 600SS. You'll go from "oh this doesn't really feel like muuu--- HOLY poo poo THAT WAS FUN" in about 2k RPM's.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I went on my first ride on the SV today, and holy gently caress I'm in love! I'm so glad I got that bike. I don't feel like it's too much to handle at all. I got it up to 50mph, and it felt great. My gear breaths great, and I felt really comfortable thanks to the MSF. Weeeee!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When I took the class in 08 I rode the only Nighthawk. I thought THAT was ez-mode. I discovered the dual disc brakes are incapable of locking so I just stood on them on the emergency stop. It was a hell of a lot easier to ride than my BUBF Vulcan.

I found the key to box maneuver was to seriously look directly over my shoulder as far and exaggerated as I could. It's like speaking French; when you think you're making fun of it, you're pretty much doing it right.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Hey guys what's the general concensus on the 2001 model year? Found one with only 8k miles in what looks like great shape. They are asking ~$2800. Thinking of something like it for mostly around town and short trips and some bendy road fun. I had a DL650 so I know the basic engine and capabilities, just wondering if there is anything specific to the year I should check out?

Mucho thanks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nope, nothing in particular, just the usual. 2800 seems high but market variation, summer, blah blah blah.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Tindjin posted:

Hey guys what's the general concensus on the 2001 model year? Found one with only 8k miles in what looks like great shape. They are asking ~$2800. Thinking of something like it for mostly around town and short trips and some bendy road fun. I had a DL650 so I know the basic engine and capabilities, just wondering if there is anything specific to the year I should check out?

Mucho thanks.

I have an '01, and I love it. I paid $2600 for mine (which was maybe a bit too much, but it's riding season now, and prices do get inflated during riding season), and it had quite a few nice upgrades (Yoshimura exhaust, Corbin seat, lower fairings, etc.). Mine had just over 11k miles on it when I bought it.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go take a look at it in the morning. Yea I know the price is a little high compared to national but for some reason the bike prices around NM always run fricken high. I've found what would be exactly the same bikes and over in Cali or down in the south east area it's anywhere from 800-1200 cheaper than here.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Had some fun today on the highway as my SV650 turned into an SV325 unexpectedly. It was a pretty heavy downpour and I guess water flings from the tire onto the front cylinder's spark plug? I'd heard about something similar happening so I wasn't too worried at the time, although now I'm doing research on the best way to prevent that from happening ever again. It seems pretty silly to have such a flaw on the bikes that hasn't been fixed in a decade. Do they just assume people don't ride in the rain?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bladesamurai posted:

Had some fun today on the highway as my SV650 turned into an SV325 unexpectedly. It was a pretty heavy downpour and I guess water flings from the tire onto the front cylinder's spark plug? I'd heard about something similar happening so I wasn't too worried at the time, although now I'm doing research on the best way to prevent that from happening ever again. It seems pretty silly to have such a flaw on the bikes that hasn't been fixed in a decade. Do they just assume people don't ride in the rain?

It happens as the rubber seal over the spark plug degrades. You can line it with RTV, use dielectric grease, or rig up a little shield to stop the front wheel from flinging water directly into the spark plug hole. Fender extender is another option.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
So which one of you has the awesome yellow SV650N? Care to share the pictures again? It's been a while since I've seen those and I have no idea where to look for them. Did I mention, your bike kicks rear end? :D

I, myself, recently bought an '07 and I couldn't be happier with how it rides. I rode about 2000 miles on it so far and it's been a blast. It doesn't seem like it's too hard on me as a first bike, but yet it's still plenty of fun.

I do, however, want to start wrenchin' on it. The plate mount it huge and it needs to go (and take the blinkers with it). I need new mirrors and grips. Basically, if I could copy your bike I would be in heaven. There I said it. :colbert:

Here it is, at the dealership.

(I'll get better pictures eventually.)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
You mean this one? :cool:

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Yes! :blush:

The rear blinkers, where are they? How did you mount the plate? Do clip-on bars work on the stock forks? What is that speedo? How about the headlight? Mirrors? I want to know it all.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I got the bike already outfitted like that. :)

The rear lights have blinkers integrated into them. When braking, red LEDs glare out. When blinking, the lights switch over to orange LEDs. So when I signal for turning right, the right side blinks orange. I don't know what brand of lights those are.

The lic plate mount was home-fabricated by the P.O. There's a small metal plate screwed into the undertail and bent 90 degrees down to hold the plate.

I dunno about installing clip-ons on SV naked's. Horrid mechanical expertise here, so I just have others do the work for me. :allears: The bike has a Gixxer front with wavy brake discs and Vertex clip ons and triple tree.

The speedo is a Vapor gauge. It's quite nice. Headlights are dual Buell headlights. I got the mirrors from a bicycle shop. They're $16 each and work just great. :D

And there's the Honda CBR600 F3 rear wheel and 15/46 sprockets.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 18, 2011

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

the walkin dude posted:

You mean this one? :cool:

That bike is ridiculously sexy. 03 you said?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Anyone else know if clip-ons will work on stock forks? Are you comfortable with the bars this low and does it change the bike's handling? How would you compare it to a stock SV, if you rode one?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Clip-ons work on the stock forks but you'll have to redo your brake/clutch/electrics lines from the handlebars. It'd probably be cheaper to just buy a SV650S and sell the fairing, or find an SVS that someone already made naked. Otherwise you're swapping lots of parts.

If you just swap the handlebars and not the footpegs it could potentially be a more awkward riding position, I believe most people swap in rearsets as well when converting their SV650N to a naked SV650S.

And regarding riding position, personally I prefer the upright setup on the naked because it's more comfortable on the highway and on my daily commute, although a more aggressive stance is more fun when I'm riding aggressively. My friend has an sv650S and while it's fun to ride, I wouldn't want to deal with it every day. Switching to clip ons will make the bike feel a bit more unwieldy at low speeds but will help a more aggressive riding position when you're leaning into turns. If you're fine with the more pronounced lean it'd be great.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I'm no mechanic but why would I have to redo lines? Wouldn't moving the bars an inch down just leave me with extra lines/tubing? Is this something you want to avoid?

If clip-ons are too much work/money, I think I'll stay away from them. I still am a pretty green rider after all.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Its a k5. Wish it was a k3 though. The clipons on there isn't terribly uncomfy. They have smooth, kinda slippery grips on right now which I don't like (but looks good). Definitely for aggressive riding.

The girlfriend's 2000 sv650 has suburban machinery bars that are incredibly comfy, with nice texturey grips. It's a dream to cruise on compared to my k5, and much more fun for in-city street warfare. You could get suburban machinery bars that look like clipons, they're apparently easy to pop in for Nakeds.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

internet inc posted:

I'm no mechanic but why would I have to redo lines? Wouldn't moving the bars an inch down just leave me with extra lines/tubing? Is this something you want to avoid?

If clip-ons are too much work/money, I think I'll stay away from them. I still am a pretty green rider after all.

Clipons aren't going to be a net gain unless you're doing trackdays or only twisty riding. You can run clipons without modding your cables and electricals, it's going the other way that causes issues.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

the walkin dude posted:

Its a k5. Wish it was a k3 though. The clipons on there isn't terribly uncomfy. They have smooth, kinda slippery grips on right now which I don't like (but looks good). Definitely for aggressive riding.

The girlfriend's 2000 sv650 has suburban machinery bars that are incredibly comfy, with nice texturey grips. It's a dream to cruise on compared to my k5, and much more fun for in-city street warfare. You could get suburban machinery bars that look like clipons, they're apparently easy to pop in for Nakeds.

Why do you wish it was a 2003? What are the differences? I'm curious because I have a 2003 and I thought I read that it was kinda a funky year because it was the first year for the 2nd gen SV and Suzuki changed some things the next year which made 2003 the only year to get the big radiator? and other stuff. But I have no idea if any of that is correct.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm a tall dude (~ 6'4''), and the K3 has a different subframe that results in a higher tail. It points higher. I think it looks wayyyy sexier that way. Like the '06+ R6's.

And less people were able to flat-foot or ride my old K3 comfortably :laugh:

However, the frontal modifications to my K5 (low-hanging Buell headlights, gauge, etc) make my tail look higher than usual so I'm happy with that.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Z3n posted:

Clipons aren't going to be a net gain unless you're doing trackdays or only twisty riding. You can run clipons without modding your cables and electricals, it's going the other way that causes issues.

Ah, yes. I've read too many threads on people wanting to convert their S to N, I guess.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
Just got an '08 SV650S last night with 8000 miles, single owner, maintained by the dealer. It rides great but I was wondering, is it normal to hear a chattering sound when riding around at 30-40 mph? I can't hear it when idling, and going faster there's too much wind noise. My first thought was valve chatter but I don't exactly know what that sounds like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

King Nothing posted:

Just got an '08 SV650S last night with 8000 miles, single owner, maintained by the dealer. It rides great but I was wondering, is it normal to hear a chattering sound when riding around at 30-40 mph? I can't hear it when idling, and going faster there's too much wind noise. My first thought was valve chatter but I don't exactly know what that sounds like.

Is the chain clean, lubed, and properly adjusted? Could be chain noise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You may want to try out clubman bars before swapping to clipons. They're almost the same position and a lot cheaper.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Z3n posted:

Is the chain clean, lubed, and properly adjusted? Could be chain noise.

No idea, how do I tell?

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
So I've looking for an ABS sv650 for a long time now and I'm having a lot of trouble finding one. I'm checking CL(in nearby states)/ebay/svrider daily for used ones. No dealer within 250 miles has them new or used(and because of the earthquake they seem to have no clue what they will be getting in at any given time). I check cycletrader ever once in a while, but their listings seem to be very unreliable. Is there anywhere else I should be looking that I'm missing?

BigRedCat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 19, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BigRedCat posted:

So I've looking for an ABS sv650 for a long time now and I'm having a lot of trouble finding one. I'm checking CL(in nearby states)/ebay/svrider daily for used ones. No dealer within 250 miles has them new or used(and because of the earthquake they seem to have no clue what they will be getting in at any given time). I check cycletrader ever once in a while, but their listings seem to be very unreliable. Is there anywhere else I should be looking that I'm missing?

Unfortunately, ABS bikes are not very popular. Count on having to look quite a bit to find one. Might have some luck on SVrider.com too.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
I moved to Florida last year and I noticed this week that I've started to get some rust on the forks. Is this something to be concerned about? I found this picture which has a circle of where my rust is:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/threads/000/180/916/2756976-bike03.jpg

Not sure if I should strip it or let it go. Bike has 20k+ miles on it ('06 650).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just rub it off. It's over where the forks oil on the sliders, so rust tends to build up there.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

King Nothing posted:

No idea, how do I tell?

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=101521

User manual, page 40.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

BigRedCat posted:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcd/2359017046.html

Dunno what nearby is for you but I'm pretty sure this bike has ABS even though the listing doesn't mention it. Not sure if the dealer still has it though, it was there two weeks ago.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

:argh::argh::argh:

Is this supposed to fit into the stock clipon bars via anything other than friction? I noticed that my right bar end was sticking out a bit so I unscrewed it, and then spent nearly an hour trying to get the nut and the rubber surround out, because the nut separated from it but was stuck behind and just :wtf: Suzuki. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.

King Nothing posted:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcd/2359017046.html

Dunno what nearby is for you but I'm pretty sure this bike has ABS even though the listing doesn't mention it. Not sure if the dealer still has it though, it was there two weeks ago.

I appreciate it, but I'm actually in DC so its a little far for me.

• Locked thread