Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So I guess it was a a big outage if it made Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/sprint-network-is-down-no-sms-and-voice-calls-for-some-of-you/

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey Tennessee friend, this is good for me to know, nashville has had crap internet here for the past 3 weeks now. Sprint really needs to fix it.

I have had tons of 3G issues with my data. I do a lot streaming and nothing worse than it dropping in the middle of something you are really in to.

I work in Oak Ridge on ORNL. Our data is awful out here now. I use to be able to stream at work no problem, but over the last couple of months I am lucky to have a data connection. Someone at work told me that he heard that ORNL uses a suppressor on data going in and out of the compound,. that they can pinpoint areas of high activity. Now if you know anything about Oak Ridge, TN you can understand someone being paranoid. This in turn has made me paranoid if they are pulling my SMS or MMS out of the air (I don't know if this is possible or legal).

I guess my question is it possible to suppress 3G like the person at work told me, and how legal is it to pull SMS/MMS out of the air? I am thinking about getting the Airrave (is that what it is called?) to see if that helps here at work, but I could be pissing some people off I don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My guess, with no technical backup, is that your performance degradation is just your local tower being oversaturated. I work in Chicago's west loop and cannot get a consistent 3g signal during the weekday-itll flip to 1x all the time, and the 1x straight up doesn't work. I have to force roaming to verizon for usable internet. That being said, if I work on a weekend or holiday, the 3g is completely fine, implying it's a lack of capacity.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
We are over capacity in a lot of areas. This growth was kind of unexpected apparently.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Chappy posted:

We are over capacity in a lot of areas. This growth was kind of unexpected apparently.

see: AT&T post-iPhone

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
There's a 2.3 leak for the Shift on XDA. I just flashed it about an hour ago and it seems pretty stable. It's running Sense 2.1.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheBlackMallard posted:

There's a 2.3 leak for the Shift on XDA. I just flashed it about an hour ago and it seems pretty stable. It's running Sense 2.1.

What is the difference in Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

So I guess it was a a big outage if it made Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/sprint-network-is-down-no-sms-and-voice-calls-for-some-of-you/

I have had tons of 3G issues with my data. I do a lot streaming and nothing worse than it dropping in the middle of something you are really in to.

I work in Oak Ridge on ORNL. Our data is awful out here now. I use to be able to stream at work no problem, but over the last couple of months I am lucky to have a data connection. Someone at work told me that he heard that ORNL uses a suppressor on data going in and out of the compound,. that they can pinpoint areas of high activity. Now if you know anything about Oak Ridge, TN you can understand someone being paranoid. This in turn has made me paranoid if they are pulling my SMS or MMS out of the air (I don't know if this is possible or legal).

I guess my question is it possible to suppress 3G like the person at work told me, and how legal is it to pull SMS/MMS out of the air? I am thinking about getting the Airrave (is that what it is called?) to see if that helps here at work, but I could be pissing some people off I don't know about.

Yeah you can call retentions and get an airrave, keep in mind it works by plugging up to an internet modem, so you would need access to that.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Alman posted:

Pretty much. Although the tower vision plan will help out a lot in this area. I don't think it will be this way for much longer.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

nate fisher posted:

What is the difference in Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0?

3.0 is a lot bigger. It has more animations, the ability to change your theme, things like that.

I know when you load a 3.0 sense rom on an EVO, there's about 80 megs of storage left on the device.

In other news, I got a free Nexus S for being the advocate at my store, and I have to say, I don't hate it. It's a lot faster than thought. It's a lot snappier and more responsive than even the EVO on cyanogenmod7.

I'll still probably sell it and get an EVO 3D when they come out though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know if the free tethering on the Nexus S 4G will be charged by Sprint? Some people are saying that they can't charge due to it being a part of the "pure Google" experience and some say it's a trial for 30 days until May 31st or June 8th.

The ones saying that Sprint can't push an update to stop the tethering are the same ones saying that the T-Mobile Nexus S still has free tethering since it released in Dec 2010.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My 3G speeds have been terrible the last few days, like 50-100kbps down terrible. Anyone else having issues or is my phone a hater? It's the same in different areas and at different times of day. EVO on CM7 in Portland. WiMax is fine when I have a signal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know if the free tethering on the Nexus S 4G will be charged by Sprint? Some people are saying that they can't charge due to it being a part of the "pure Google" experience and some say it's a trial for 30 days until May 31st or June 8th.

The ones saying that Sprint can't push an update to stop the tethering are the same ones saying that the T-Mobile Nexus S still has free tethering since it released in Dec 2010.

Its likely the same as the Evo when it launched: free tethering until they fix it with an update. If it keeps it for life great, bit I would never guarantee that.

ddogflex posted:

My 3G speeds have been terrible the last few days, like 50-100kbps down terrible. Anyone else having issues or is my phone a hater? It's the same in different areas and at different times of day. EVO on CM7 in Portland. WiMax is fine when I have a signal.

See above: sprint is having network problems. And more people using 3g means it is down more often than 4g.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nate fisher posted:

Signal jammers are illegal. They can interfere with emergency services so are muy uncool.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Chappy posted:

Alman posted:

What did Sprint have come out recently that caused this much sudden growth?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CharlesM posted:

Signal jammers are illegal. They can interfere with emergency services so are muy uncool.

Even if it is the government doing it to protect security in some highly sensitive areas?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Lowen SoDium posted:

They've ran a lot of promotions, such as the $125 smart phone credit when people port a number to Sprint, that brought new subs. I think Duckman said at one point that it was the main reason they couldn't keep the EVO and some other models in stock at his store.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Aredna posted:

They've ran a lot of promotions, such as the $125 smart phone credit when people port a number to Sprint, that brought new subs. I think Duckman said at one point that it was the main reason they couldn't keep the EVO and some other models in stock at his store.

Plus the EVO was the first phone in a long time I heard people saying they would switch to Sprint for it. It was what Sprint wanted the Palm Pre to be.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Aredna posted:

nate fisher posted:

Plus the EVO was the first phone in a long time I heard people saying they would switch to Sprint for it. It was what Sprint wanted the Palm Pre to be.

Gotcha. I though they were implying that there was a single phone that came out recently that upped the subscribers. I have had an EVO since it came out, and I personally have more friends that have the EVO than have an iPhone so I know it is a popular phone.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Lowen SoDium posted:

Gotcha. I though they were implying that there was a single phone that came out recently that upped the subscribers. I have had an EVO since it came out, and I personally have more friends that have the EVO than have an iPhone so I know it is a popular phone.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that there had been any sort of killer device launch, it just seems like a confluence of subs and promotions over the past year or so have brought a lot more customers onto the network. The good news is that all of the towers are being upgraded in the near future, so as long as it's not a backhaul problem then most of those problems should be alleviated (if it truly is a tower capacity problem).

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious
ericsson to assume management of clearwire's 4g network.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/clearwire-outsource-wimax-network-ericsson/2011-05-18

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nate fisher posted:

Even if it is the government doing it to protect security in some highly sensitive areas?

I guess the federal government can...

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

Honestly, I think the shift is selling just as well. We are out of them constantly, and have been since launch.

Between the Evo, Evo shift, and yes, even the Epic, we have three pretty popular phones.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

LG Optimus V, and more generally Virgin Mobile's $25/mo Beyond Talk plan. Although not Sprint-branded (VM US is owned by Sprint), it uses Sprint's service.

Plus Evo, Epic, Evo Shift, Nexus S, etc. Mobile data usage has gone up lots across the board. Not sure that Sprint's EVDO (3G) capacity has gone up tons in the past few years.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Yeah it sucks because at launch my Evo could pull 1.5 Mbps during the day but now I am lucky to hit 300 kbps. I was tempted to jump ship, but where would I go? :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know if the free tethering on the Nexus S 4G will be charged by Sprint?
I would assume so.

I know that the built-in Froyo USB Tethering is modified on the Epic to switch CDMA NAIs to the one that Sprint uses for tether accounting. So even if the device doesn't include "Sprint Mobile Hotspot", I'd imagine that the framework would be modified, as it is in various places genearlly for CDMA support, to switch NAIs when tethering as well.

Interestingly enough, stock USB tethering works just fine with a WiFi Internet connection on the Epic, and although I've never tested it, I'd guess that WiMAX would as well.

Mind you, the Nexus S is unlockable, and I'd assume any CyanogenMod ROM for it wouldn't have tethering restriction. Plus there's always root.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lowen SoDium posted:

I know pretty much zip about how networks run, but could part of it be because of the fairly recent expiration of their roaming agreement with Verizon?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So from 3am to 4 this morning my phone kept ringing loudly, telling me that I had a voicemail message. Every time I cancelled the notification, went back to sleep and got woken up 5 minutes later to do it again, before I finally called my voicemail and had to delete a message from 3 weeks ago before it would stop. What the heck

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

Honestly, I think the shift is selling just as well. We are out of them constantly, and have been since launch.

Between the Evo, Evo shift, and yes, even the Epic, we have three pretty popular phones.

Add the Nexus S for that, that phone is selling extremely well at my store (as does the Epic). Finally got Shifts back in stock for the first time in about 2 months.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I know pretty much zip about how networks run, but could part of it be because of the fairly recent expiration of their roaming agreement with Verizon?

Uhh... what's this? We can't roam on Verizon's towers anymore?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gotly posted:

Uhh... what's this? We can't roam on Verizon's towers anymore?

No, Verizon roaming is still in effect. The Alltel roaming agreement expired due to Verizon's buyout of Alltel, so that was a decrease in coverage right there for certain areas.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, sorry, my bad on the mixup.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

porksmash posted:

Looks like we will soon know if the EVO 3D has a locked/signed/whatever bootloader: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/16/htc-evo-3d-system-dump-leaked-get-it-while-its-hot/

Don't take this as gospel, but:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/evo-3d/84920-htc-evo3d-system-dump.html

About three posts down from an "Adviser":

"bootloader is locked but not encrypted"

That's the way the Evo 4G shipped, so that would be best case next to unlocked, which no one expected.

I'm only putting any stock at all into this because the guy posting it is a mod or adviser or whatever, but I'll wait to see it confirmed elsewhere.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

900ftjesus posted:

Don't take this as gospel, but:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/evo-3d/84920-htc-evo3d-system-dump.html

About three posts down from an "Adviser":

"bootloader is locked but not encrypted"

That's the way the Evo 4G shipped, so that would be best case next to unlocked, which no one expected.

I'm only putting any stock at all into this because the guy posting it is a mod or adviser or whatever, but I'll wait to see it confirmed elsewhere.

So I take this to essentially mean that ROM development will be only mildly set back at first, then change to being a moderate chance of bricking, then be OK?

My biggest fear is that somehow this phone sells somewhat slowly at first among the homebrew crowd, thus putting the same damper on development as what exacerbates the panamax-sized load of hurdles to development on the Epic. I understand that its an HTC and thus carries a cleaner name than Samsung, but the rumor of a new Google "dev phone" coming out in Q4 makes me worry that people might just hold off.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

So I take this to essentially mean that ROM development will be only mildly set back at first, then change to being a moderate chance of bricking, then be OK?

My biggest fear is that somehow this phone sells somewhat slowly at first among the homebrew crowd, thus putting the same damper on development as what exacerbates the panamax-sized load of hurdles to development on the Epic. I understand that its an HTC and thus carries a cleaner name than Samsung, but the rumor of a new Google "dev phone" coming out in Q4 makes me worry that people might just hold off.

My view is, yes, you're right there will need to be an effort into unlocking the bootloader. But, if this is the only HTC unencrypted bootloader with a dual-core, it's going to be the hacker phone of choice right behind the Nexus phones. The Evo 4G is one of the most popular phones on CM right now, something like 25k people which doesn't include people with stats turned off.

There's already an open-source 4G implementation for WiMAX and HDMI mirroring. The only thing would be getting the dual camera an 3D effect working, which I could definitely live without. Sense is also looking pretty mean, the lock screen isn't crap anymore, their Exchange email client is tons better than AOSP, so I'm not too concerned about being stuck on Sense for a while.

That's my 2 cents, I'm still not putting too much faith in the unencrypted bootloader yet, but I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's just locked.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

900ftjesus posted:

There's already an open-source 4G implementation for WiMAX and HDMI mirroring. The only thing would be getting the dual camera an 3D effect working, which I could definitely live without. Sense is also looking pretty mean, the lock screen isn't crap anymore, their Exchange email client is tons better than AOSP, so I'm not too concerned about being stuck on Sense for a while.

Yeah from what I've seen Sense 3.0 has some cool stuff but why do they insist on keeping that poo poo launcher? They recognized that the lockscreen had room for massive improvement and functionality, but continue to waste 3/4 of the bottom row of the homescreen

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

900ftjesus posted:

Sense is also looking pretty mean, the lock screen isn't crap anymore, their Exchange email client is tons better than AOSP, so I'm not too concerned about being stuck on Sense for a while.

This is where I'm at. I'm really stoked for this phone now, and Sense 3.0 looks good enough in the videos I've seen that I'll probably end up just leaving it stock for a good while. Eventually I'm sure I'll get the bug to gently caress around with it, but honestly it looks like it will do just about anything I would want right out of the box.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Enjoying the latest leaked Gingerbread ROM on my Epic :cool: Netflix streaming really is awesome.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

heat posted:

Yeah from what I've seen Sense 3.0 has some cool stuff but why do they insist on keeping that poo poo launcher? They recognized that the lockscreen had room for massive improvement and functionality, but continue to waste 3/4 of the bottom row of the homescreen

My biggest bitch about Sense is the launcher. Of course you can use ADW or LPP and still get the lock screen (I guess you can), but you lose the Sense widgets. The new weather just looks awesome.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Eyecannon posted:

Enjoying the latest leaked Gingerbread ROM on my Epic :cool: Netflix streaming really is awesome.

Every time I turn my Epic's screen off, I'm amazed by gingerbread crt animation yet again. I'm equally amazed at how quickly Samsung and Sprint are working on getting gingerbread out the door. Definitely a 180 from the Froyo fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My sister installed the GV app, and is now sending me texts complaining that "it's hijacked all of my voicemails and sends them to my gmail account instead of my phone! There's no option to stop the call forwarding and it won't stop even though I uninstalled it!"

I don't use GV and am not familiar with it at all, so not only do I not know what the issue is I have no clue how to fix it. Anyone have any advice?