Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Background: My Dad was in a band in high school. They were pretty good and my grandmother, being impressed with how good they were, saw an ad in a back of a magazine where they could get their own LP made if they sent in a tape of their work and however much money it was.

So, Grandma got the boys together and took them up to the local radio station, as it was the only spot with actual recording equipment in town. So, with one mic and no proper audio equipment, they recorded a handful of songs and sent them off to Jacksonville, Florida, where this company was. After several months, they received their LPs. They were all warped to the point they wouldn't play. However, the original recording survived and Dad found a cassette tape of it last year.

Dad and I have been able to identify every song except one.

This may have been something completely original for the group, but I somewhat have my doubts as they were 14- and 15-year-old kids and had no other original compositions. The rest of the songs range from the late 1950s through 1964.

So, here it is, an unknown song by The Eliminators:

I mean...it sounds a lot like most any Chuck Berry tune.

And guy above: "1983"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

M. Propagandalf posted:

Looking for the song that's used here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfaNHtKkffA

Reminds me a bit of Giorgio Moroder or Tangerine Dream.

Reposting this one with hopes someone knows where it's from.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

I mean...it sounds a lot like most any Chuck Berry tune.

Dad swears they didn't play Chuck Berry, though a bit of it does sound pretty similar to Johnny B. Goode.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Abel Wingnut posted:

And guy above: "1983"?

Appreciate it man, but nope. The one I'm thinking of is more upbeat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a Hendrix tune thats been running through my mind for the last few days. I'm fairly certain it's an instrumental. The guitar lines are all rolling triplets in a arpeggiated major key, like a walking bass line. Any guesses? Thanks!
It's not instrumental but Manic Depression fits the description pretty well

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's not instrumental but Manic Depression fits the description pretty well

Yeah, manic depression does have some triplet parts, but that isn't it. The song I'm thinking of is in what feels like 6/8 or 12/8 time, with four sets of triplets per phrase. Thanks for the suggestion, though, it's appreciated!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a Hendrix tune thats been running through my mind for the last few days. I'm fairly certain it's an instrumental. The guitar lines are all rolling triplets in a arpeggiated major key, like a walking bass line. Any guesses? Thanks!

Third Stone from the Sun?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Cavenagh posted:

Third Stone from the Sun?

Swing and a miss, but thanks. gently caress, now I feel like I've hijacked this thread...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Swing and a miss, but thanks. gently caress, now I feel like I've hijacked this thread...

Do you remember if the performance was recorded live or in the studio?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Abel Wingnut posted:

Do you remember if the performance was recorded live or in the studio?

I'm not sure, but I want to say it's a studio recording.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okp5MwX3CsQ

What song starts playing in the background around 1:20?

It's really familiar but I just can't place it.

SwiftTheFox
Jun 2, 2007

Prince Hotbod, at your service.

laughterhouse five posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okp5MwX3CsQ

What song starts playing in the background around 1:20?

It's really familiar but I just can't place it.

It's a remix of Madder Red from Yeasayer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgcsNEGjPU

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande
Ok yeah! Thanks that song owns.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm trying to find a song that has "it is what it is" as part of the chorus, and would be played on a radio station that people who shop at hot topic would listen to. It's not the song by Lifehouse.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I'm looking for a rap song I heard recently. I think the title is Smoke but I'm not really sure about that. a line from the chorus is something along the lines of "I've got that fire baby", but it's not by Bone Thugs-n-harmony. It's in a style similar to Talib Kwali and maybe Chali 2na. Any help in finding this song again would be awesome.

Edit: I found the song, it's Smoke ft. T-Pain by Tay Dizm.

Anachronist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 23, 2011

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
This is a bit different as I know the song and what it's from.

In the movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, there is a scene where the main character is walking on some golden tendrils and there is a girl in the background singling unfortunately the lyrics are just la la lalala la la, la laah la lalala etc.
I would like to know the name of that piece for my inner child.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Ok I saw three cute girls singing a folk-sy kind of song at a jazz type night, really nice and chilled, and they said it was a cover.

The Chorus went something like:

"Every (little thing she does is magic)
Everything she does just turns me on"

I'm not entirely sure about the words in the brackets but it was something like that. It was a really nice song and I'd love to track down the original. They were lesbians if that makes a difference.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Shenadigins posted:

Ok I saw three cute girls singing a folk-sy kind of song at a jazz type night, really nice and chilled, and they said it was a cover.

The Chorus went something like:

"Every (little thing she does is magic)
Everything she does just turns me on"

I'm not entirely sure about the words in the brackets but it was something like that. It was a really nice song and I'd love to track down the original. They were lesbians if that makes a difference.

The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

What is wrong with your brain? That song is like inescapably huge, and even if it weren't, Googling the lyrics you gave would have brought you directly to the song. And why would them being lesbians make a difference? gently caress you

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Who the gently caress is trying to one-up TaTu's cover of "How Soon Is Now?"?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Thank you Final Fart Butball. I hadn't heard the song so didn't think it was a big one. They sound very different. Hence the lesbian thing, maybe a lesbian band did it before or something, I don't know. You're right, I could have googled the lyrics, but haven't posted here for a while and I like the idea of this thread and sometimes a person is nicer than google so I didn't. But that was wrong of me, people should google first to avoid cluttering the thread, and I'm sorry for wasting your time. Thank you again for answering my question, especially in light of my poor etiquette. I'll do better next time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Eyeball posted:

TaTu's cover of "How Soon Is Now?"?

What? Why? When?

I can't say I'm the hugest Smiths fan, but, like, that is one of the most uncoverable songs I can think of off the top of my head---that ridiculous multi-delayed guitar, Morrissey's ridiculous Being Morrissey...I'm disappointed in the world for letting that happen.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
It happened. Youtube says it was their third single. And I guess they're called t.A.T.u.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I was wondering what genre these two songs are. There are too many subgenres of EDM to keep track of.

The first http://wimp.com/ningalooreef/

and the second http://wimp.com/grandmaparty/

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can someone identify this for me?

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
^^
Gettysburg by Ratatat.

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I was wondering what genre these two songs are. There are too many subgenres of EDM to keep track of.

You don't mean you think they are both the same genre do you?

I'm not an expert but I would call the first one minimal and the second one just house or techno, but I'm sure someone will call me an idiot for saying that.

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 25, 2011

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Steve Holt! posted:

^^
Gettysburg by Ratatat.

You don't mean you think they are both the same genre do you?

I'm not an expert but I would call the first one minimal and the second one just house or techno, but I'm sure someone will call me an idiot for saying that.

Nah I know they are two different genres. I'd like to hear similar music, but I don't know what stations on DI.fm to listen to. Thanks for your help. :)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Steve Holt! posted:

^^
Gettysburg by Ratatat.

Thanks

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
When I was in Munich I heard an acoustic cover of Alice Deejay's "Better Off Alone" on the radio. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. Anyone?

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

I have another one. Which Bach piece is this song a remake of? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3QjZ5bigi0&feature=player_embedded

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Harpsichord Concerto

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Shane-O-Mac posted:

First is Progressive House, second is Electro House.

A decent (and very well known) example of proghouse would be Pryda (Eric Prydz). It's basically a genre that sits between the uplifting, epic sounds of trance and the more catchy grooves of house. There's a lot of proghouse that's more closely related to techno as well, combining uplifting sounds with the stripped, rhythmic elements techno is known for.

Electro House is one of the most well-known genres of contemporary house music, including anything from Daft Punk and Justice to beloved deadmau5/skrillex/Swedish House Mafia. The particular subgenre in the video you link to is (or was, as it has pretty much passed by now) known as Fidget House, characterized by wacky, over-the-top noises. The Crookers would be a good example. Soundwise it's somewhat similar to the currently immensely popular "Dirty House" or "Dutch House" sound of the likes of Afrojack.

One more thing; keep in mind that EDM has probably just as many subgenres as rock does, so don't limit your search for music to these genre classifications.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 26, 2011

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's a movie theme(?) that sounds like a slower version of this part of this video (which as far as I know is completely unrelated). The one I'm thinking of has a rising intensity and some drums that slowly come in later on.

For some reason I'm thinking it might be Clint Mansell, but nothing I've found on Youtube is right.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
In the early nineteen-nineties on the radio (in Rhode Island) they would play a song ofter that went:

quote:

STOP
in the name
of the law
WOAH WOAH WOAH

This was NOT the song Stop In the Name of Love by The Supremes. Any help would be appreciated.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

So I have been playing through a game called WET and it has this amazing psychobilly soundtrack, a genre I know practically nothing about and as I have found out enjoy quite a lot. I've been able to track down the names of most songs in the game thanks to the soundtrack however 1 song continues to elude me.

It plays from 1:00 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQAvQjGGMnQ and the only comment there about it is someone else looking for it. Typing in the lyrics into google didn't help me at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Davincie posted:

So I have been playing through a game called WET and it has this amazing psychobilly soundtrack, a genre I know practically nothing about and as I have found out enjoy quite a lot. I've been able to track down the names of most songs in the game thanks to the soundtrack however 1 song continues to elude me.

It plays from 1:00 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQAvQjGGMnQ and the only comment there about it is someone else looking for it. Typing in the lyrics into google didn't help me at all. Thanks in advance for any help.

The Chop Stomps - Teddy Boy Stomp.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rivfader posted:

The Chop Stomps - Teddy Boy Stomp.

Thanks, for some reason it isn't on the ingame jukebox or the soundtrack I got.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Rivfader posted:

First is Progressive House, second is Electro House.

A decent (and very well known) example of proghouse would be Pryda (Eric Prydz). It's basically a genre that sits between the uplifting, epic sounds of trance and the more catchy grooves of house. There's a lot of proghouse that's more closely related to techno as well, combining uplifting sounds with the stripped, rhythmic elements techno is known for.

Electro House is one of the most well-known genres of contemporary house music, including anything from Daft Punk and Justice to beloved deadmau5/skrillex/Swedish House Mafia. The particular subgenre in the video you link to is (or was, as it has pretty much passed by now) known as Fidget House, characterized by wacky, over-the-top noises. The Crookers would be a good example. Soundwise it's somewhat similar to the currently immensely popular "Dirty House" or "Dutch House" sound of the likes of Afrojack.

One more thing; keep in mind that EDM has probably just as many subgenres as rock does, so don't limit your search for music to these genre classifications.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Anemone Mine
Dec 30, 2010
Please help! At the end of Dead Dog Song by Okkervil River, the main track fades out and for about 40 seconds you hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDMqnX66RG4#t=03m17s

I looked it up a bit and all I learned is that they're repeating a line from a previous song in the album but I swear I've heard the tune before.

thanks guys

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Can anyone identify the music playing in CATNOTPARTYHARD.swf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Carthag posted:

There's a movie theme(?) that sounds like a slower version of this part of this video (which as far as I know is completely unrelated). The one I'm thinking of has a rising intensity and some drums that slowly come in later on.

For some reason I'm thinking it might be Clint Mansell, but nothing I've found on Youtube is right.

Something from The Social Network maybe?