Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Another nail biter of a mission. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Don't forget to kick! Kick as if your death depends on it! Also, if Turn 17 rolls around an you aren't dead yet, you should definitely inquire to see if self-destruct is an option.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
OK. Where can he go that makes sure no HomeGuard mech is hit in the inevitable explosion? Further into the complex?

One of the mission objectives is to make sure no damage is done to a home guard mech. So really. We need to find a spot out of range of homeguard mechs that still give them a good firing solution so that they wont move closer AND ensures that we can kill that hex good.

We shoot first and move later right?

If so fire on the building and step out to hex 0515. That will put you in a spot where you won't hit the phoenix hawk and he won't need to move at all.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Affi posted:

OK. Where can he go that makes sure no HomeGuard mech is hit in the inevitable explosion? Further into the complex?

One of the mission objectives is to make sure no damage is done to a home guard mech. So really. We need to find a spot out of range of homeguard mechs that still give them a good firing solution so that they wont move closer AND ensures that we can kill that hex good.

We shoot first and move later right?

If so fire on the building and step out to hex 0515. That will put you in a spot where you won't hit the phoenix hawk and he won't need to move at all.

No, do not step out of the building, that is the best way to guarantee that you do not meet the damage requirements, and the home guard mechs will zip right up next to you anyway. Get as deep into the building as possible if you want any chance of meeting the objectives.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

no, stand still, and die is the best option, also there is nothing he can do to stop the ACE pilots from getting within one of him, but PTN is not counting unintentional damage to the homeguard mechs, so don't shoot them, shoot the building.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AtomikKrab posted:

no, stand still, and die is the best option, also there is nothing he can do to stop the ACE pilots from getting within one of him, but PTN is not counting unintentional damage to the homeguard mechs, so don't shoot them, shoot the building.

We don't know this. The Von Luckner got hit in the refinery-explosion but no Home-Guard Mech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

We don't know this. The Von Luckner got hit in the refinery-explosion but no Home-Guard Mech.

I think he means that PTN isn't counting accidental damage to the Home Guard mechs as part of the victory conditions.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yes. And did PTN say this? Because we havn't actually hurt a Home Guard mech yet??

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

You should try to die in hex 0315, 0415 or 0316. That way your explosion will damage 5 hexes of the building, doing as much damage as possible. Especially since doing even a minimum amount of damage apparently costs quite a lot to repair (see Update 13 where the first three damage points inflicted a cost of 300k).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's go to be some way to scuttle your mech so badly that the enemy can't get it, thus triggering the explosives.

The bomb is 20 damage worth right?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

0415, he can turn and fire into his previous hex from there, and do up to... 24 damage to it. it only has 50 left... so gets it to 26, if he lives, shoot again and self destruct at the end of turn 16 if not already dead.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Time to turn those heat sinks off and make that mech run hot as hell. And hope for an ammo explosion before a shutdown.

Wait, what am I saying? Turn your back to the douches outside and start dumping your ammo!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AtomikKrab posted:

0415, he can turn and fire into his previous hex from there, and do up to... 24 damage to it. it only has 50 left... so gets it to 26, if he lives, shoot again and self destruct at the end of turn 16 if not already dead.

This is what I'm doing. I should be taking enough fire this turn and next that the falling building will do me in if some of the shots getting through don't get me first. I'm a liiiitle nervous about moving through the building, because I'd hate to get an unlucky missed piloting roll that cripples/KOs me and doesn't give me the chance to draw fire from the bad guys.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How did that one mech both spot and shoot in the same turn? Did they change that aspect of the rules?

Also, did anyone do a write-up on Omnimechs?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh, hey, PTN, you left out my kick from last turn. Or am I incapable of kicking inside a building?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
The Archon expects that every man shall do his duty.

(To blow the gently caress out of Lestrade's property)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Also, what does it take to get on the players list? So at some point I can astound you all with my horrific luck at BTech and psrs in particular.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Also, what does it take to get on the players list? So at some point I can astound you all with my horrific luck at BTech and psrs in particular.

If you have a platinum upgrade (I assume you do, since you've spent 35 bux), just simply ask to be added to the pilot list. PTN will contact you via PMs when it's your turn. If not, you'll also have to add an email address to your request so PTN can contact you when your turn is up.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Taerkar posted:

How did that one mech both spot and shoot in the same turn? Did they change that aspect of the rules?

They did. As demonstrated in the calculation, spotter and shooter each get a +1 if the spotter fires, as opposed to the Compendium "spotter cannot shoot".

Taerkar posted:

Also, did anyone do a write-up on Omnimechs?

Not sure what you mean; PTN did the renamed and upgraded Vulture and Blackhawk ComStar TRO style during the Somerset scenario, but otherwise, not really?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

On the theory and design behind them, fluff-wise, and how they're implemented into the rules. Not specifics about any given model.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, you could use a wrench to murder Aldo Lestrade. He's a pretty boy but he's not especially tough.
Wrenches are supprisingly good at murdering.

They're not *that* good in a fight, but at murdering? They're pretty awesome.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

landcollector posted:

If you have a platinum upgrade (I assume you do, since you've spent 35 bux), just simply ask to be added to the pilot list. PTN will contact you via PMs when it's your turn. If not, you'll also have to add an email address to your request so PTN can contact you when your turn is up.

This was more a complaint because I have repeatedly asked for my platinum posterior to be added to the list.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

This was more a complaint because I have repeatedly asked for my platinum posterior to be added to the list.

I had to ask a couple times myself. The thing is, sometimes requests can get lost in a flood of posts on the thread. If you want, just PM him if you feel the post method isn't working.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone should check out today's WTF, D&D!? article.

It's totally rad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

If you've asked once and your name didn't go up by the next update that means I missed your post. If you asked again and still got nothing, that means I missed your post again. It happens, some days the thread gains 100+ new posts while I'm at work. I apologize.

If this happens to anyone else, please PM me. That, I can't miss (unless I'm in an extremely forgetful state of mind; which does happen. I am notoriously absentminded. :C )

Edit: You're on the list now. The post with the 'Mechwarrior list in it will be updated sometime whenever.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you've asked once and your name didn't go up by the next update that means I missed your post. If you asked again and still got nothing, that means I missed your post again. It happens, some days the thread gains 100+ new posts while I'm at work. I apologize.

If this happens to anyone else, please PM me. That, I can't miss (unless I'm in an extremely forgetful state of mind; which does happen. I am notoriously absentminded. :C )

Edit: You're on the list now. The post with the 'Mechwarrior list in it will be updated sometime whenever.

Dude, stop wasting your time on these whiny scrubs and drop a house on my giant robot!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

thanks a lot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone should check out today's WTF, D&D!? article.

It's totally rad.

Tell me that's not a mechwarrior on the left. Ahahahahaaa.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

Tell me that's not a mechwarrior on the left. Ahahahahaaa.

It is. There is a reason I don't respect the Eridani Light Horse.

Edit: That's a cooling vest, I can forgive the cooling vest because it serves a useful purpose.

I don't like the Eridani Light Horse because they are the Worf of the Inner Sphere. Need an 'elite' unit to get trounced? ELH. Need to play up the enemy as being super-special awesome? They beat and slash or earned the respect of the Eridani Light Horse.

They're like the Grey Death Legion (who exist so that they can be rescued at the last minute by Grayson Carlysle); except they don't have a Grayson Carlysle within their own regiment to save them from their inevitable WORFing so they have to be rescued by others (until the 3060s where they enjoy a brief glimmer of not sucking before 90% of them got nuked by Word of Blake to show how serious the Jihad was, yet somehow they managed to survive just long enough to give Devlin Stone hummers on request during the Dark Age garbage).

Worse, that 'poo poo on by everyone' role is done and done better by Avanti's Angels who's "thing" is getting in over their heads, losing like, 90% of their Battalion, then dragging themselves back out of the fire with whatever they have left. Avanti's Angels also does it with an average 4/5 - 5/6 pilot (as opposed to the Eridani Light Horse's supposed elite 2/3s). They have a lot more flaws and it's more fun to read about them getting themselves into trouble because they're desperately trying to unfuck themselves after the last time they got hosed over.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 20, 2011

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
What's the reason other than their mechwarriors looking like clowns in tube tunics?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

IIRC, isn't a cooling vest, shorts, and boots pretty much a standard Mechwarrior-in-Mech outfit?

E: hurr, no write good :downs:

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 20, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is. There is a reason I don't respect the Eridani Light Horse.
You wouldn't know style if it kicked you in the head with a giant robot :colbert:

EDIT:
I'm afraid you've lost me.

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 20, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xmas Future posted:

You wouldn't know style if it kicked you in the head with a giant robot :colbert:

They are three full Regimental Combat Teams consisting entirely of Worf.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Eridani Light Horse... Eridani Light Horse...

Oh! The guys in the other universe the Clans use as whipping posts when they first showed up. I'm sure in this universe they'll be even less effective.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

They are three full Regimental Combat Teams consisting entirely of Worf.

Because of the honor code, or because they get the poo poo kicked out of them to show how badass the new enemies are?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Because of the honor code, or because they get the poo poo kicked out of them to show how badass the new enemies are?

That second thing.

Succession Wars? ELH got their poo poo wrecked.

Clan Invasion? ELH got their poo poo wrecked (twice).

The Great 3055-3060 Faffing About? ELH somehow managed to get their poo poo wrecked (and reassembled again in time for)

The Great Refusal? ELH got their poo poo wrecked so bad they had to call in an orbital strike and got themselves put on the Clans' "not honorable, gently caress Zell, just shoot these assholes" list.

The FedCom Civil War? Heeeeey, guess what? poo poo = Wrecked.

Capellan Conflict? They did ok. Sorta. Now that I think back on it, the Death Commandos may have wrecked their poo poo; but I don't remember too clearly because this is when the main timeline was starting to get really stupid.

The Great loving Jihad? Got nuked. Then got nuked again. Almost managed to get nuked again but saved Hohiro Kurita whilst running away. Nearly one entire ELH RCT got captured by the Goliath Scorpions who, and I need to stress this, had VIRTUALLY NO PRESENCE IN THE INNER SPHERE IN THE MAIN TIMELINE.

The Great Stupid loving Dark Age? The ELH Signed on with Devlin Stone because all of the better Merc units got killed in the Jihad and they need a sugar daddy to pay for all the equipment they keep losing. Pretty much lose their 'elite' status because Clickytech was retarded.

Edit: Also, good news everyone! poo poo = Wrecked!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 20, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I started around the time clicky mechs first came out. What actual differences are there in combat and the like. I don't know anyone who ever has actually played them :effort:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, good news everyone! poo poo = Wrecked!

I think this says everything...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkP-UXTN0k
(relevant portion begins at 1:33)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just as much, if not more of a Worf? The 1st Davion Guard. Wiped out twice in three months, one time.

e: the ELH didn't get wrecked in the FCCW, because they weren't involved at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That second thing.

Succession Wars? ELH got their poo poo wrecked.

Clan Invasion? ELH got their poo poo wrecked (twice).

The Great 3055-3060 Faffing About? ELH somehow managed to get their poo poo wrecked (and reassembled again in time for)

The Great Refusal? ELH got their poo poo wrecked so bad they had to call in an orbital strike and got themselves put on the Clans' "not honorable, gently caress Zell, just shoot these assholes" list.

The FedCom Civil War? Heeeeey, guess what? poo poo = Wrecked.

Capellan Conflict? They did ok. Sorta. Now that I think back on it, the Death Commandos may have wrecked their poo poo; but I don't remember too clearly because this is when the main timeline was starting to get really stupid.

The Great loving Jihad? Got nuked. Then got nuked again. Almost managed to get nuked again but saved Hohiro Kurita whilst running away. Nearly one entire ELH RCT got captured by the Goliath Scorpions who, and I need to stress this, had VIRTUALLY NO PRESENCE IN THE INNER SPHERE IN THE MAIN TIMELINE.

The Great Stupid loving Dark Age? The ELH Signed on with Devlin Stone because all of the better Merc units got killed in the Jihad and they need a sugar daddy to pay for all the equipment they keep losing. Pretty much lose their 'elite' status because Clickytech was retarded.

So basically Damocles Lance is a complete and utter anomaly in the ELH, then, and only because of their questionable canonical status as being in Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate's Moon.

• Locked thread