Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Penguissimo posted:

Unfortunately yes, and it is likely to remain that way forever unless the bootloader is either cracked or Motorola themselves unlock it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Yeah, I just got one of these (Thank you professorbx) and am somewhat disheartened to find the lack of decent roms for it. Still, there are a couple of 2.2 roms that aren't horrible and maybe someday we'll get gingerbread. There is still hope. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Crap, looks like I've got myself into a bind.

I've got a rooted Nook Color. I installed a newer uboot through CWM and then selected the option "Reboot recovery." Since then, the device will only boot to a black screen after showing the "Read Forever" logo.

I've tried following the instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=949699 but I can't even get the thing to boot CWM. It just stays at that black screen, despite trying different SD cards.

Help?

Edit: Nevermind! Turns out I was using the wrong program to flash the SD card. The proper one is located here: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2011

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Backing up the rom via rom manager does a complete nandroid, so the titanium backup isn't neccesary after restoring. Also, restoring system data via titanium backup can often cause major issues and isn't recommending, unless it's on the exact same ROM.

Cool, thanks. So I back up the ROM, don't like the new ROM, I restore the old one and it's like nothing in between ever happened? If so, that's perfect.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kazy posted:

You can always use the Nook app from market. It recently got updated for magazines, so the only thing that it can't do now is the Read To Me books. Which I'm sure will eventually come, too.

The organization was better with the actual stock program, but yeah, the app is fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tzirean posted:

Cool, thanks. So I back up the ROM, don't like the new ROM, I restore the old one and it's like nothing in between ever happened? If so, that's perfect.
That's correct.

Where TB comes in is for backing up app data that doesn't sync. You go to a different ROM (and thus need to wipe)? You don't loose your Angry Birds scores. If you're wiping it's usually for a reason and I wouldn't batch restore everything right away, but it's nice when you wipe, reinstall your apps, and then you remember that you had a bunch of network shares saved in ES File Explorer, or you had a note in a notepad app. You can just restore the data for those apps and be assured it probably won't gently caress up anything.

You probably won't need the stuff often, but when you do it's sure nice to have around.

Plus it has a lot of other features that I've found useful on many occasions like freezing, Market Doctor, multiple backups, things like that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

TheJoker138 posted:

The organization was better with the actual stock program, but yeah, the app is fine.

That's one reason I want to keep it, plus I don't want to lose where I was in the few books I have.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LastInLine posted:

That's correct.

Where TB comes in is for backing up app data that doesn't sync. You go to a different ROM (and thus need to wipe)? You don't loose your Angry Birds scores. If you're wiping it's usually for a reason and I wouldn't batch restore everything right away, but it's nice when you wipe, reinstall your apps, and then you remember that you had a bunch of network shares saved in ES File Explorer, or you had a note in a notepad app. You can just restore the data for those apps and be assured it probably won't gently caress up anything.

You probably won't need the stuff often, but when you do it's sure nice to have around.

Plus it has a lot of other features that I've found useful on many occasions like freezing, Market Doctor, multiple backups, things like that.

Excellent. Thank you!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The new CM7 nightly added USB accessory support for the EVO. Anyone have any idea what this is? USB host mode maybe?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Lowen SoDium posted:

The new CM7 nightly added USB accessory support for the EVO. Anyone have any idea what this is? USB host mode maybe?

Sounds like it to me. Probably for a mouse or keyboard, external storage, etc.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I've the Optimus V running stable CM7. Any ideas why it hangs on the LG screen when rebooting into recovery?

Used http://romrepo.info/wiki/index.php?title=Install_from_Stock_Optimus to get it going. Everything works smooth beyond the recovery options.

I'm unsure what other information y'all may need.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Sounds like it to me. Probably for a mouse or keyboard, external storage, etc.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/accessory.html

Doesn't sound like it's USB host, more support for certain gadgets specifically designed to work with Android phones (related to the home automation stuff Google's been talking up recently)

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

After a few days of rooting my Droid X I've noticed that everything seems to load much faster. There's no delay in bringing up the app drawer or whatever it's called now and the market loads instantly instead of taking 10-15 seconds. Is this coincidence or could it have made a difference despite not changing the rom?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

hello internet posted:

After a few days of rooting my Droid X I've noticed that everything seems to load much faster. There's no delay in bringing up the app drawer or whatever it's called now and the market loads instantly instead of taking 10-15 seconds. Is this coincidence or could it have made a difference despite not changing the rom?

If you just rooted it and nothing else then it's most likely just a coincidence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I will be getting an HTC Inspire 4G soon - what's the best way to root it and get CM7 on it, and how can I best transfer over all my stuff from my HTC Desire with CM7?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

fishmech posted:

I will be getting an HTC Inspire 4G soon - what's the best way to root it and get CM7 on it, and how can I best transfer over all my stuff from my HTC Desire with CM7?

Contacts-wise, I found that synching all my contacts with google was simplest.

This is a pretty straightforward way to root the Inspire:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961406

Just make sure you read all the warnings and the FAQ!! It turns out I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed and had forgotten about it, which messed up my rooting halfway through both times and I had to restart the rather lengthy process over again and I ended up downloading the sizeable program three times in a row because MSSE had deleted a really important part of the file the first two times without ever notifying me in any way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danhenge posted:

Contacts-wise, I found that synching all my contacts with google was simplest.

This is a pretty straightforward way to root the Inspire:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961406

Just make sure you read all the warnings and the FAQ!! It turns out I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed and had forgotten about it, which messed up my rooting halfway through both times and I had to restart the rather lengthy process over again and I ended up downloading the sizeable program three times in a row because MSSE had deleted a really important part of the file the first two times without ever notifying me in any way.

Thanks, and thanks for the warning to temporarily disable MSE. Most sites I found while trying to find how to root said things like "oh there's a new version out of tool x in step 4 and that means the step needs to be changed but we aren't editing it" or crap like that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

fishmech posted:

Thanks, and thanks for the warning to temporarily disable MSE. Most sites I found while trying to find how to root said things like "oh there's a new version out of tool x in step 4 and that means the step needs to be changed but we aren't editing it" or crap like that.

No to be clear you gotta uninstall that sucker entirely.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So now that I don't have to worry about folks potentially calling to offer me a better job (:smith:) it's time to update the rom on my Vibrant. Are all the cool kids still using Team Whisky, or is the CM7 rom stable enough for a daily driver. If it matters, I use the wi-fi calling option a ton.

Thanks in advance!

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ToxicFool posted:

I just got my first smartphone with a Captivate and already rooted it to installed OCLF. I looked into custom roms and the like but the XDA forums have a ton of things with no real descriptions or reviews. Even in their starting guide they don't have recommendations.

What are generally the benefits of changing the OS/rom? I know some redo the task manager and all of them cut out extra apps.

So far I have rooted my phone, installed quick settings, one click lag fix, titanium backup, and removed the intalled AT&T apps. Used droid explorer to copy my backups onto my pc.

Edit: Just been skimming through the kernels and roms they have listed - seems like most of them do the same thing. I also saw some videos by MobileTechVideos that show off some of the roms. I don't really like the look of Gingerbread which most things are emulating nor the orange/black themes that seem prevalent.

I'm thinking about the speedmod kernel and the cognition rom. Does anyone use these or recommend something else?

I just noticed that cognition rom has its own kernel.

OCLF is terrible and can rape your phone. It has been obsolete for nearly a year now and is can completely unsupported. Please look into a solid modern lagfix like voodoo or universal lagfix that does a proper conversion instead of the horrible, hacky shitpile that is OCLF.

I use Speedmod on my I9000 and it's a pretty solid kernal (and it should include the new, safer lagfix which also gives much faster real world performance). I'm not really familiar with the roms on the Capitvate though, but I agree that there are a lot of ugly themes out there on XDA.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Since I'm giving my rooted HTC Desire to my little brother who doesn't have a data plan but still wants to be able to send MMS messages, what setting or app should I use to ensure it won't use mobile data besides text messages and MMS messages?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just a heads up, anyone with a Captivate, Galaxy S i9000, or Vibrant and rooted 2.1 or 2.2 can now install officially supported CyanogenMod 7 nightlies from ROM Manager. If you are on a 2.3 bootloader you will need to Odin back to 2.1 before flashing CM7.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

fishmech posted:

Since I'm giving my rooted HTC Desire to my little brother who doesn't have a data plan but still wants to be able to send MMS messages, what setting or app should I use to ensure it won't use mobile data besides text messages and MMS messages?

Can you remove the mobile APN data from withing Wireless and Networks?

e: alternatively create a garbage APN, and use that instead of the default. It'll never connect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ZShakespeare posted:

Can you remove the mobile APN data from withing Wireless and Networks?

e: alternatively create a garbage APN, and use that instead of the default. It'll never connect.

But will it still send MMS messages correctly with a garbage/missing APN?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

But will it still send MMS messages correctly with a garbage/missing APN?
I don't think it will. Try APNDroid. Saw a couple recommendations for it for exactly the thing you're looking to do.

vvv Right, but that doesn't help him as he wants voice+MMS without the data. Since both APN types have data...

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 19, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Probably network dependent but my carrier uses two APNs, one for normal data the other for MMS

The APN type for the normal one is 'default,supl' the MMS one is 'mms'

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Samsung Galaxy S and some of its variants (Vibrant and Captivate) now are officially merged into Cyanogenmod 7.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Animal posted:

Samsung Galaxy S and some of its variants (Vibrant and Captivate) now are officially merged into Cyanogenmod 7.

Makes me so sad :(

(Fascinate owner)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Going to CM7 on my G2x today, anyone seen any big issues reported with Nightly 25?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Codiusprime posted:

Makes me so sad :(

(Fascinate owner)

I know, right?

Progress is being made for us, too, though. We'll get there someday.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Animal posted:

Wow, so all I need to do on my (running Team Whiskey Bionix) Vibrant is turn off Voodoo and download via Rom Manager? Or should I odin back to something else?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 19, 2011

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Wow, so all I need to do on my (running Team Whiskey Bionix) Vibrant is turn off Voodoo and download via Rom Manager? Or should I odin back to something else?

You dont even need to turn off Voodoo. Just install via ROMManager, couldnt be easier. If for some reason that doesnt work, download the latest nightly and install via clockwork.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

I know, right?

Progress is being made for us, too, though. We'll get there someday.

It's true, I've been really pleased with the progress they are making on the CM7 ports. They already run better than the TouchWiz based roms, just have to get those little things figured out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

I don't think it will. Try APNDroid. Saw a couple recommendations for it for exactly the thing you're looking to do.

vvv Right, but that doesn't help him as he wants voice+MMS without the data. Since both APN types have data...

Alright, I'll give it a try thanks!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casao posted:

Going to CM7 on my G2x today, anyone seen any big issues reported with Nightly 25?

Seems pretty solid to me. Battery meter is still hosed though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Seems pretty solid to me. Battery meter is still hosed though.

I just want to say that the thought of CM7 on a dual core phone gets me super hot n bothered.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've finally been able to flash a Sense ROM onto my EVO and do the GPS fix!

I had Fresh 3.5.0.1 on my phone from before, since that's what I was running before I started playing with CM7 nightlies, but every time I tried to install it I would just hang forever at the white EVO 4G boot screen. Today I decided I'd just download it on my computer, check the MD5, then transfer it to my phone over USB. Since I've had so much trouble with 3.5, I pulled the Fresh 4 beta.

Good news: It flashed successfully.
Bad news: The dialer codes didn't work. gently caress.

So I re-downloaded 3.5.0.1, verified the MD5, transferred that, and FINALLY got it to boot. Dialer code worked, phone rebooted, and I restored my nandroid.

The difference is amazing. As a quick test (indoors!), I pulled up Maps and told it to navigate to my nearest latitude friend. Navigation instantly had a lock! And when I exited Maps, the GPS icon didn't stay flashing in my notification bar for an extra 30 seconds like it used to.

Now my phone is happy again!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Animal posted:

You dont even need to turn off Voodoo. Just install via ROMManager, couldnt be easier. If for some reason that doesnt work, download the latest nightly and install via clockwork.

Uh, this is odd, but the download link for CM7 that was in ROMManager this morning just disappeared. How odd.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 19, 2011

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, this is odd, but the download link for CM7 that was in ROMManager this morning just disappeared. How odd.

They are having problems with the merge apparently. They also pulled it from Rom Manager. Just wait a bit and they will have a good file up.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
This is on a G2 running a recent build of CM7 (nightly 77). I haven't played nano panda in several days, and even rebooted my phone this morning. However, there it is, right at the top, sucking up the battery. I've also never used wifi calling, or even opened the app, and it's also making a showing. Can apps be using battery life, even if you're not using them or haven't launched them?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

Can apps be using battery life, even if you're not using them or haven't launched them?

Yes. WiFi Calling probably has a start on boot intent for a good reason. Nano does but does so with no good reason at all.