Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
Heh fancy that, aussie DRZers...
I'm in Sydney.

I've actually sent a message to that guy on ebay. he reckons he rebuilt the engine not long ago.
Who knows on that bottom end though, a gearbox isnt going to last as long with a 470 running on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
If there's one thing I've noticed about sumos in NSW, they just wont loving lose their value.

I ended up giving up and I'm eyeing off SV650's now.

I think there's just too much demand from the L/P crowd since they're probably the most fun learner legal bikes on the market (also make the P's test a cakewalk).

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
At this rate we'll soon have enough NSW Sumo goons for a posse. (Also come ride with us).

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
i got a 2008 SV650 ABS for sale if you're interested.
$4500

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
It took me months of searching to even find a few overpriced NSW DRZSM's that I would have even considered buying. I gave up eventually and bought new (actually because I wanted a black frame)

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Well I got a call last night that the bike has been recovered. The cops found some guy riding it around. I'm out of town but my buddy is getting it from the tow yard ($250) and he's telling me the entire ignition is gone along with the speedometer. Apparently they (poorly) painted the fenders white, the seat red, and the gas tank "sparkly". Of course my out of town plates are gone.

Honestly it's great that it's back but I don't know if it will ever be road worthy again ;/

I'd appreciate any info on my options, I'd love to sue the guy that was arrested but everyone is telling me it's not worth my time.

Anyways, I'll be sure and post pics when I get home

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
It's probably not worth it, unless he is lord moneybags, and then he'd just win anyways. Did you have insurance?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dubs posted:

It took me months of searching to even find a few overpriced NSW DRZSM's that I would have even considered buying. I gave up eventually and bought new (actually because I wanted a black frame)

Yeah, the DRZ's are especially bad.

640/690's seem mildly more reasonable.

Huskies and Husabergs seem to be the ones that at least depreciate, but the maintenance schedules on them would probably negate the little bit you'd save over a DRZ or KTM, but on the other hand there seems to be plenty of "Just rebuilt engine!" Husky and Husabergs around depending on how much you trust other people to rebuild engines.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd be pretty apprehensive buying a used Husky or Husaberg, if they've not been cared for it'll basically be a time bomb.

An ignored DRZ, or even a KTM would probably be just fine.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

An ignored DRZ, or even a KTM would probably be just fine.

Sure, but they're still loving expensive, they're like $9000 AUD brand new and people are advertising 2006 models with 30,000km (18,000mi or something) for $6-$6,500. It might be getting better not we're coming into winter, but it's still ridiculous.

Like Dubs said, you're better off just saving another $2k, brushing up on the negotiating skills and buying a brand new one.

Sorry for the rantiness, I just really WANT to justify getting a sumo, but I barely can for the prices they go for in the second hand market.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
When I say months of searching I mean 8 of them. I even bought another bike in the mean time.

This was a few years ago and its far better now, but there was so many badly modded/maintained or high mileage bikes that people are just asking far too much money for. There's no real reason for the prices and its not just the LAMS sumo's.

It might not be that Sumo's don't drop in money compared to all bikes, but maybe that other LAMS and sportbikes just depreciate more than average?

EDIT: I regularly saw people trying to sell a few year old bikes for under RRP, but more that I could buy one new for. Peeps are dumb.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Are people actually buying them at those prices?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The used bike market in Australia is pretty hosed, especially for supermotos. You really might as well buy new because no matter what you're buying, whether its a DRZ, a 690 or a loving GS1200 it probably will only cost you an extra couple of grand.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dubs posted:

EDIT: I regularly saw people trying to sell a few year old bikes for under RRP, but more that I could buy one new for. Peeps are dumb.

Early this year I swear I saw KTM advertising 2010 690 SMC's for $11995, there's people on bikesales looking to get $11500 for 2008 versions (admittedly only a few thousand k's - who buys a bike and only rides it for less than 4 thousand k's (other than Z3n)?)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aargh posted:

Early this year I swear I saw KTM advertising 2010 690 SMC's for $11995, there's people on bikesales looking to get $11500 for 2008 versions (admittedly only a few thousand k's - who buys a bike and only rides it for less than 4 thousand k's (other than Z3n)?)

They did. People are idiots.

EDIT: I just looked, and they're not doing that price anymore (but are doing the rest of the 2010 on-road range for poo poo cheap).

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 19, 2011

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Ok, so I've been shopping around for a set of SM wheels to put on my drz400s and I got this offer from a guy on SMJ:

quote:

Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I have a pair of Warp 9 wheels that have a little over one season on them. Only selling because I sold the bike and got a Berg. They were never raced and never saw dirt. Other than early season nasty pavement.

I also have a caliper relocator, a 310mm and a 320mm rotor. The caliper relocator worked with the ohlins forks I had on the bike, so not positive it will work on yours?

I paid about $800 for the lot a year and a half ago. Make an offer if you're interested.

Do any of you guys have any experience with warp-9's? Most people seem to like them but there are complaints that they are cast Chinese crap at the same time.

If they work on the DRZ, and they are decent, would I be insulting him by offering 700+shipping?

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Nyyen posted:

Ok, so I've been shopping around for a set of SM wheels to put on my drz400s and I got this offer from a guy on SMJ:

Do any of you guys have any experience with warp-9's? Most people seem to like them but there are complaints that they are cast Chinese crap at the same time.

If they work on the DRZ, and they are decent, would I be insulting him by offering 700+shipping?

Eddie "Burnt" Sisneros commonly uses Warp-9s on his race bikes and he's said in the past that he never had a problem with them. I have no personal experience with them but I definitely trust his opinion. I almost bought a set myself but I ended up getting a set of used SM-Pros instead.

Honestly I'd offer him less than 700 if he got them for $800. You could always bump your offer up if he balks at it.

edit: Also, Warp-9s don't work with DRZ speedo drive, so you will need an aftermarket speedo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've been thinking about getting a pair of bi-colours for the SMC, then getting some excel rims and spokes and re-lacing the stock hubs as off-road wheels. I haven't re-laced a wheel before, I understand how to true them though, is it particularly hard?

I'm also vaguely worried by the fact that the bi-colour replacements do away with the 'cush-drive'. I always understood these offered protection to the transmission, is it an issue at all?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been thinking about getting a pair of bi-colours for the SMC, then getting some excel rims and spokes and re-lacing the stock hubs as off-road wheels. I haven't re-laced a wheel before, I understand how to true them though, is it particularly hard?

I'm also vaguely worried by the fact that the bi-colour replacements do away with the 'cush-drive'. I always understood these offered protection to the transmission, is it an issue at all?

I couldn't tell the difference when I switched to the bi-colors. Aside from the waves of awesome gravitating off both wheels.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

...waves of awesome gravitating off both wheels.

I'd convinced myself I didn't need them until I saw both you and z3n have them, now I feel like the kid with Bumblebee while everyone else has Optimus Prime :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'd convinced myself I didn't need them until I saw both you and z3n have them, now I feel like the kid with Bumblebee while everyone else has Optimus Prime :(

Actually, technically only me OR Spiff can have them at any given time, as I bought his bike. And they are super rad.

Aargh posted:

poo poo, I just realized I've put 3200 kilometers on the 690 since I've bought it. Getting close to sale time...thanks for the heads up. :v:

Nyyen posted:

I'd offer 500 + shipping. The biggest issues I've heard of is the front rotor warping, it's a kinda crap front rotor (not a full floater, but a solid rotor). And I don't really like them because the only source for rotors is warp 9...that devalues them accordingly to me. Slap on another $100 for a set of trailtech gauges, and you're at ~$650, which is decent.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've never relaced wheels, so no help there. Did Zool ever successfully relace his?

Anyways, I've run with and without cush drives on a bunch of different bikes, and I've never had an issue. There were concerns about tire wear and some other stuff but I think it's not really a thing. I think that shifting technique and using good oil is much higher on the list of things that are important to your transmission than cush drive or no.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've laced a wheel before and it wasn't terribly difficult, but it was for an old slow bike that wasn't getting pounded on offroad. To properly lace a wheel you really need to tension each spoke carefully. I'd probably pay to have someone do it properly.

I've read about some of the older KTM race supermotos that had no cush drive. The shock you impart onto the drivetrain with sticky tires and lots of torque was enough to gently caress up the crankshafts. It was basically the only point of give in the drivetrain and that is not a cheap part to have screwing up. Probably not a great idea on a street bike that you intend to put a lot of mileage on.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Ah it all makes sense now. No cush drive is why I'm supposed to replace the crankshaft on my Husky in another 2k miles. I always wondered what was up with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

I've laced a wheel before and it wasn't terribly difficult, but it was for an old slow bike that wasn't getting pounded on offroad. To properly lace a wheel you really need to tension each spoke carefully. I'd probably pay to have someone do it properly.

I've read about some of the older KTM race supermotos that had no cush drive. The shock you impart onto the drivetrain with sticky tires and lots of torque was enough to gently caress up the crankshafts. It was basically the only point of give in the drivetrain and that is not a cheap part to have screwing up. Probably not a great idea on a street bike that you intend to put a lot of mileage on.
Hrm, did some more reading about this. No complaints on modern bikes, although some complaints from guys who had 2 piece cranks and were putting hardcore abuse on their bikes (supermoto racing).
Many modern bikes have cush drives integrated into the clutch basket as well. However, if your bike doesn't have any sort of damping in the driveline at all, something like this:
http://www.kushsprockets.com/sprockets
could help minimize the damage. Kinda expensive, but cheaper than rebuilds. Also, a slipper clutch should help minimize shock to the crank, although it's not going to do much for the transmission.

I'll probably pick up one for the next sprocket on the KTM...for $90 shipped, it's cheap insurance.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Welp...

The bike came back minus speedometer, ignition, headlight, blinkers, pouch,rear views, and gas lock. It's also been painted obviously.

Before:

After:

It still runs awesome but the thing is tainted to me, it needs to go. How much do you think I can get for it? I've got $200 in getting it out of tow already :(

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Tainted? That bike is an abduction, abuse and rape survivor and it still came back to you. Don't you think it deserves a little more compassion than that?

I understand you're mad right now but it's not the bike's fault :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

When I saw the after picture I actually laughed out loud. 30 years just happened to that poor bike. Sorry for laughing.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Meth is a hell of a drug.

That reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy sucks, but I'm with the others. Wait a little while and see what you want to do. How is it mechanically?

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
30 years in 8 days! Mechanically it's perfect, but I'm in the city, I got no use for a bike I can't ride on the street.

Edit: no meth, it was a 18 year old hood rat riding around at 4 in the morning with no lights and no helmet.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Supermoto people, I'm thinking about getting a Sumo for my first real bike. Right now I'm learning on a friend's XL125, and I'll be doing my motorbike safety course sometime soon. If I have enough scratch, I'll pick up a bike this summer.

Since this will be my first bike, I'm wondering about the wisdom of starting with a hoon ride. I've been looking at KLX250SF's and DR-Z400SM's, and I'll probably take a look at a CRF230M today. I also looked at Aprilia's ($Texas and I can't afford a personal mechanic) and Huskies.

I'm 28 years old, 6'3" and about 230lbs, with a 34" inseam. I have my wild days out of my system, but will a sumo take over my brain and make me wheelie off a bridge?

Second question, is it even worth looking at anything other than a DR-Z?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Supermoto people, I'm thinking about getting a Sumo for my first real bike. Right now I'm learning on a friend's XL125, and I'll be doing my motorbike safety course sometime soon. If I have enough scratch, I'll pick up a bike this summer.

Since this will be my first bike, I'm wondering about the wisdom of starting with a hoon ride. I've been looking at KLX250SF's and DR-Z400SM's, and I'll probably take a look at a CRF230M today. I also looked at Aprilia's ($Texas and I can't afford a personal mechanic) and Huskies.

I'm 28 years old, 6'3" and about 230lbs, with a 34" inseam. I have my wild days out of my system, but will a sumo take over my brain and make me wheelie off a bridge?

It's actually about perfect. You'll be able to get a foot down on it no problem, it'll forgive your beginner mistakes well, and it's just fun to ride. Don't try and show off like an idiot (until you get some practice doing it), and you'll be fine. I wouldn't look for anything but the DRZ400SM, the rest of the bikes either have weird small tires that are hard to find sizes for, are underpowered, expensive, or relatively unproven engines. I'd say, get a good deal on the DRZ, ride it for a few thousand, figure out if this supermoto thing is what you're really after, and then sell it for around what you're into it...DRZs hold their value pretty well due to the fact that they're the only marginally available, decently powerful beginner sumo available right now.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm about 190lbs and I've ridden a brand new KLX250SF, and found it painfully slow. I still might buy one for my 100lb girlfriend but I'd feel nervous riding it myself on roads with faster speeds.

The CRF230 is air cooled I believe, and very, very small and underpowered. When I first saw one I thought it was a kid's bike for a second. I doubt it would even carry you at anything approaching highway speeds.

I've heard some good and some bad things about the Yamaha WR250X, but I don't have anything but hearsay to back it up.

The DRZ is pretty much a perfect beginner's bike. Super fun without being dangerous, and with an aftermarket that can make the bike faster as you grow more experienced.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I sent an email to Procycles Hornsby asking why they had a 2008 690 SMC listed at 11500 when there was the runout on 2010's at 11995, they got back to me saying that yes indeed KTM did do a runout at that price but it was to get rid of stock and it makes there's seem quite expensive in comparison. Idiots, of course it makes it look expensive if you list it close to retail price of a model 2 years newer.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Went for a longish ride today and had another 3 bolts rattle their way out. This time it was 3 of 4 front fender bolts, bringing the total to 9 fasteners lost.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

I wouldn't use a CRF230 for anything except starting a large bonfire.

The KLX250SF is a nice bike, but really should be a 300. My plated KLX300R was a hoot, but I can't imagine having a lot of fun with 50lbs of street crap and less power.

The DRZ probably is the right choice, but I wouldn't turn down some of the older 600cc class bikes if you're willing to buy used. The XT600 is consistently $200-500 under market prices for the KLR or DR or XR 650s. It's a great bike to learn on.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm to the point where I really want to find into a Sumo and let it consume my life completely. I'm currently on my beginner bike, a 1980 Honda CB650C (Honda Fours), and while it's great to learn on and in really good condition for its age, it's just not me.

I'm a small guy, so a lightweight bike is right up my alley, and I'm not speed-crazy and looking for a literbike to kill myself with.

ANYWAY, the consensus here seems to be "FIND A DRZ400SM", but there's only one in my Craigslist aura, and it's up for 5k. What's a reasonable price range to look for one? I know that's a very broad question, but is the scarcity of good sumos driving up the price a lot or are they really worth 4-5k? Aside from a DRZ, wouth any of the 230/250 range bikes be boring?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a DR-Z or an older dual sport.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well motards have officially hosed my sport/standard riding. Took the SV up to the gap today for a pass and just couldn't get comfortable. I used to be able to carry decent (not fast) speed through there, today I was in first or the bottom of 2nd the whole time. My lines were good and I know the road but I just couldn't get comfortable on the SV there despite putting 28k miles on the drat thing in the last 1.5 years.

Think I'm bringing the CRF up there tomorrow if I don't go kayaking.

Other than that a beautiful day on the hill and the SV felt wonderful flying across foothills parkway.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah i feel slow on my SV compared to the DRZ.
Feel like im gonna dig the pegs in on the SV where on the DRZ i just say, whatevs, lay it over harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm to the point where I really want to find into a Sumo and let it consume my life completely. I'm currently on my beginner bike, a 1980 Honda CB650C (Honda Fours), and while it's great to learn on and in really good condition for its age, it's just not me.

I'm a small guy, so a lightweight bike is right up my alley, and I'm not speed-crazy and looking for a literbike to kill myself with.

ANYWAY, the consensus here seems to be "FIND A DRZ400SM", but there's only one in my Craigslist aura, and it's up for 5k. What's a reasonable price range to look for one? I know that's a very broad question, but is the scarcity of good sumos driving up the price a lot or are they really worth 4-5k? Aside from a DRZ, wouth any of the 230/250 range bikes be boring?

The WR250X is worth while, less torque than the DRZ, but lighter. The CRF 230 is a joke, and the Kawasaki is a DRZ with a smaller engine.

I'd go for one of these (KTM 625 SMC)over the DRZ, you actually have to check the valves more than once a decade, but the extra power and handling is worth it. The vibration, well that's still up for debate.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/2357785373.html

• Locked thread