Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

spasticColon posted:

I'll be getting my new monitor tomorrow later today which is this one here. I just hope its an improvement over my dying BenQ 2400WD.

It should be. ASUS is one of the better monitor manufacturers out there. Hell, I bought a (relatively) cheap-rear end 1920x1200 Hanns-G over Xmas and it's light years beyond the old 1600x900 thing I used to use. Monitor tech has really nicely improved in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's a shame it's so hard to find monitors in stores to mess with. They are so frustrating. I recently bought a U2410 to "replace" my old Gateway FHD2400 and it looks really awful and muted in comparison and the response time makes games way harder than they should be. At least I learned that I will never stray from glossy monitors.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

SwissCM posted:

Not that it's useful since they're encrypted.
I don't know what this means, but I was able to successfully copy the folder over from another windows installation and the save games were intact.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I lost my DoW2 save.

Well I didn't lose it, I did have it, I just didn't have the offline profile I was playing with that the save was encrypted to.

:suicide:

Also GFWL is clunky and useless. It doesn't add ANYTHING to the gaming experience except maybe if you're one of those guys who really likes gamerscores.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

organburner posted:

Also GFWL is clunky and useless. It doesn't add ANYTHING to the gaming experience except maybe if you're one of those guys who really likes gamerscores.
Not for singleplayer, I guess. It has a friendslist though which is nice for multiplayer games, like GTA4 and Dirt2.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's a shame it's so hard to find monitors in stores to mess with. They are so frustrating. I recently bought a U2410 to "replace" my old Gateway FHD2400 and it looks really awful and muted in comparison and the response time makes games way harder than they should be. At least I learned that I will never stray from glossy monitors.

Really? I hate glossy. Too much glare.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Red_Fred posted:

Really? I hate glossy. Too much glare.

My monitor is in a decent location and I can keep my room pretty dark, luckily. I just can't sacrifice the color and the clarity of a glossy monitor. I'm spoiled to them.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I too hate glossy monitors. Love my 30" dell monitor.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I was talking to a guy the other about RDR coming to PC. He cited three reasons that he thought it would not happen. First was that GTA IV did not sell well on PC, second was about PC piracy and third was that Rockstar might want to keep the Red Dead franchise console only.

First of all Xbox piracy is as bad as PC piracy and second it's a dick move to punish PC users for not buying their product when they released a lovely port in the first place. :argh:

The reasons above are just anecdotal at the moment but it's not looking good.

This is the thing that I don't understand. If someone really wants to pirate a game. It doesn't matter whether it's a PS3 (Homebrew), an Xbox (Soft/Hard modding) or a PC game, they will figure out a way to do it. :bang:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Aratoeldar posted:

This is the thing that I don't understand. If someone really wants to pirate a game. It doesn't matter whether it's a PS3 (Homebrew), an Xbox (Soft/Hard modding) or a PC game, they will figure out a way to do it. :bang:

The difficulty in piracy is different across all the platforms though (and that leads to differences in prevalence).

In terms of what actually hurts console developers, I think piracy isn't the issue; it's second hand sales.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Cage posted:

Not for singleplayer, I guess. It has a friendslist though which is nice for multiplayer games, like GTA4 and Dirt2.

Oh golly gee a friendslist?! Oh wow it's totally worth having my saves eaten by it because it has a friendslist!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mcvey posted:

Oh golly gee a friendslist?! Oh wow it's totally worth having my saves eaten by it because it has a friendslist!
It makes for joining friends games pretty easy.

Eating saves is not a feature of GFWL, it's probably your fault somehow, hth.

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 20, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Steamworks does everything GFWL does, only far, far better.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cage posted:

That's pretty smug of you to say. The unnecessary retarded encrypting that can render save files corrupt has been a reoccurring problem with GFWL for some time now.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

No, not really man. There's weird issues with GFWL's encryption and the whole online or offline profile stuff. I don't think that I've lost saves personally over an OS reinstall but then again I haven't launched Fallout 3 in quite a while. For all I know I may start it up and have lost 40+ hours of play time just because GFWL is like that.

If you want a system that's easy to join games, there's nothing easier than right-clicking a friend in Steam and hitting "join game".

So to repeat myself from past posts, my only issues with GFWL is how clunky it is and this is actually the fault of the developer but whoever made a certain patch for Red Faction: Guerrilla had it check the default install directory. Hence if you used Steam the patcher would throw its arms up saying it can't find RF:G. By far I find Steam the better platform.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Can we all just agree Steam is 10x better, I'm sorry to have contributed to this tired debate.

So, Duke Nukem Forever. GoTY, or GoT millennium?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blackula69 posted:

Can we all just agree Steam is 10x better.

But STEAMZ will steal your credit crad info! T|hey have your adress and cred cards info, and they;ll delete your games! Even if they don't, they going out of a busineess any day now, and all your gamess will dizapear! HAH hah, idionts! ut all your money in sTeam, then lose it all like punk fag u r all.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Yeah, I don't really have a big problem with GFWL (never have lost my saves or anything), but I'd rather not have it in a game if possible. You can definitely tell it's built off XBL and the menus feel clunky. Also it's uses a mail style system to message friends which I hate instead of an IM style like Steam.

Blackula69 posted:

So, Duke Nukem Forever. GoTY, or GoT millennium?
I think you mean GoTY Forever.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I've only used GFWL on one game and I already don't like the interface. Luckily no save eating yet.

Steam continues to impress me though.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
The thing about steam for me is, it doesn't really impress me, it's just like... it's kind of how games are supposed to be. Like anything but steam is so much worse, and steam is just how it should be

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Isn't that how it should be? Rather than try to wow you with a billion features and graphics, it sits in the background, does what it does, is stable, and stays for the most part completely unobtrusive.

If it does everything it's supposed to do, then what would it take to impress you?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

arisu posted:

Isn't that how it should be? Rather than try to wow you with a billion features and graphics, it sits in the background, does what it does, is stable, and stays for the most part completely unobtrusive.

If it does everything it's supposed to do, then what would it take to impress you?

What I'm saying is that people in this thread and people that talk about steam in general really sperg over how good steam is, but it's just how it should be rather then being super amazing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm pretty sure he was praising it for those very reasons.

nefb by the man himself.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got my new monitor and it is awesome. It's not perfect but the colors are better and the black levels are somewhat better with no dead pixels. And I can now turn down the brightness down below eye bleeding levels without getting screen flicker and an annoying buzzing sound. My laptop's screen has a glossy finish and although it looks somewhat better the glare is really bad in certain situations and my laptop is not suited for gaming anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Steam would only really impress me if it had a real nice pair of tits.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The only time I notice Steam is when its telling me I'll have to input a game key at some point.
Actually that's a lie. There's also spammy event notices that suddenly minimize Rift when I'm in the middle of a fight and generally irritate me at other times. Would be nice if those things didn't result in a popup.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

keyframe posted:

I too hate glossy monitors. Love my 30" dell monitor.

U3011 arrived two days ago and haven't used it yet because Rig is still in repairs. It was about to ship when it BSOD with a 116. So now they are testing each of the 3 graphics cards on a coldboot. The monitor is just sat there mocking me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

arisu posted:

No DRM and no background/resident services.

So basically Impulse. Assuming it hasn't gone to poo poo now that GameStop or whomever bought it off StarDock.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Manac0r posted:

U3011 arrived two days ago and haven't used it yet because Rig is still in repairs. It was about to ship when it BSOD with a 116. So now they are testing each of the 3 graphics cards on a coldboot. The monitor is just sat there mocking me.

You will love it. I have the first gen one and its still amazing. The new ones like the one you got is even better in every way.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

~Coxy posted:

No DRM and no background/resident services.

So basically Impulse. Assuming it hasn't gone to poo poo now that GameStop or whomever bought it off StarDock.

The thing is, the background services in Steam are actually useful. The friends integration, the Steam overlay with the built-in web browser come in very handy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

zachol posted:

The only time I notice Steam is when its telling me I'll have to input a game key at some point.
Actually that's a lie. There's also spammy event notices that suddenly minimize Rift when I'm in the middle of a fight and generally irritate me at other times. Would be nice if those things didn't result in a popup.

You can disable those entirely per-game.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Doc Hawkins posted:

You can disable those entirely per-game.

They're nice sometimes, I just wish they acted like the "so-and-so is playing this game" things that just show up in the corner and then go away, instead of opening a popup I have to close.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Brace posted:

What I'm saying is that people in this thread and people that talk about steam in general really sperg over how good steam is, but it's just how it should be rather then being super amazing

I'm not sure if it's "how it should be". Bare in mind that we wouldn't be at this stage yet with Steam (and digital distribution in general) if Valve hadn't have led the industry into this "era" :airquote: by making it compulsory for Half-Life 2.

If that hadn't have happened, we might all be thinking GfWL is an awesome service :suicide:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
My only bad experience with GFWL was when it held my Fallout 3 saves hostage and after updating GFWL it let me have my game saves back. Now that I have an i5-2500K I may finish GTA4 now knowing it will run somewhat smoother unless someone thinks I'm better off getting it for my PS3.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Isn't GTA4 one of the games that higher specs didn't necessarily mean smoother gameplay?

zachol posted:

They're nice sometimes, I just wish they acted like the "so-and-so is playing this game" things that just show up in the corner and then go away, instead of opening a popup I have to close.

It does that for me already and as far as I'm aware, I've not changed any settings.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
My only bad experience with GFWL is really when it comes to reinstalling the OS, since it took me a bit to realize that the profile was linked. Lesson learned tho, Gamesave Manager or bust if I need to nuke the OS at any point in the future.

I have had zero issues with it otherwise, because I'm studious about keeping my system and software up to date, which is generally the major problem that pops up whenever people bitch about GFWL. The ingame update system for it is atrocious certainly, but that's been mentioned so many times that it should be common knowledge by this point, and can easily be worked around.

I don't see why this is so foreign to people tho, it's always been the nature of PC gaming. Have issues? --> Is there a patch? workaround? ini/config edit? This is what we do, it's how we are, and in all my years of gaming, I've yet to see anything to say differently.

VvV Edit: I don't want it more integrated into the OS. I'm fine with it just being on the games it's required for. Leave my OS alone, I have a Xbox to be like a Xbox, don't want any of that crap in my Win7. VvV

Bats fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 20, 2011

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The problem with GFWL is that they took the concept of XBL and hosed it up horribly. It works fine on the 360 because it's built into the system and everything works around it. On windows it's like running a different OS in a web browser just to view certain sites. If it was better integrated into the OS then it might actually be useful.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
So does GFWL have cloud saving? The only GFWL game I've got is Arkham Asylum, on an offline account, how would I move my saves across to a new install?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

4 Day Weekend posted:

So does GFWL have cloud saving? The only GFWL game I've got is Arkham Asylum, on an offline account, how would I move my saves across to a new install?

You need "Game Save Manager" (http://gsm.duncsweb.com/) Use it to back up your saves before you do a new install. It'll back up the profile needed to make sure your save makes it across intact. GFWL does not have cloud saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I installed Bioshock 2 in anticipation for Minerva's Den, which comes out at the end of the month. It refused to run at all, instantly closing itself. I eventually found out the problem: GFWL, of course. I had updated to the latest version that Microsoft bragged about how streamlined and unintrusive it would be. It doesn't seem to bother to properly cover how games expected older versions to act. I had to manually run the new "GFWL Marketplace", launch Bioshock 2, download the update ingame, the game automatically restarted to install the update, and then it would play. Poorly, because I had two separate copies of GFWL running, so I had to quit it again, kill GFWL, and restart, again. All for the lovely experience of stomping slowly down tiny corridors with tunnel vision shooting the same old splicers with lovely rear end guns and no real motivation.
God, Minerva's Den better be worth this bullshit.

• Locked thread