Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Dono posted:

Between your skimmer and the drain pipe a filter sock still wont prevent bubbles from reaching your return. Guaranteed. Also, your skimmer may not have adequate time to collect and skim particulates from the water column if it's moving too quickly.

Are those daylights 6500k? If so, man that's too white for me.

Just a recommendation, but I get really great growth AND color (nothing gets washed out like the 6500k bulbs) from my LPS and my few SPS frags from:

ATI 2: Blue+
ATI 1: Blue+
ATI 2: AquaBlue
ATI 1: Blue+
ATI 2: Purple+
ATI 2: Blue+

Bulbs under 1 run from 10a to 10p
Bulbs under 2 run from noon to 6

Nah, they are 10k as far as i know. 6500 is the freshwater spectrum bulbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One of my friends runs a 6500K tube to supplement his bluer MH.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
I love my super blue T5's :) My corals look so nice under them. I get similar colors to my friends tank with 2x 250 watt 14k pheonix bulbs and T5 supplement..

avan
Apr 26, 2010
Hey there, I have been reading through this thread a bit and I seeing all of the amazing pictures and decided that I would love to have my own saltwater aquarium.

What I wanted to know is if there is some sort of resource that someone could point me towards to get started. I have absolutely no idea what the costs will be, what fish and coral and sea life work well together, how you keep the right balance of salt and other minerals. I'm completely uneducated in this area. If someone had some information for me that would be wonderful. Thank you so much!

Also is there a good resource online for purchasing things inexpensively vs. going to an in town store? Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

avan posted:

Hey there, I have been reading through this thread a bit and I seeing all of the amazing pictures and decided that I would love to have my own saltwater aquarium.

What I wanted to know is if there is some sort of resource that someone could point me towards to get started. I have absolutely no idea what the costs will be, what fish and coral and sea life work well together, how you keep the right balance of salt and other minerals. I'm completely uneducated in this area. If someone had some information for me that would be wonderful. Thank you so much!

Also is there a good resource online for purchasing things inexpensively vs. going to an in town store? Thanks for any and all help you can provide!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Check out nano-reef's beginner section. It's a vast wealth of knowledge. Also, you can post here as well :p

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welcome. :) It is a great hobby, and a very beautiful one as well. I can spend hours and hours staring at my tank and I have barely anything in it.

I cannot recommend enough the forums over at reefcentral.com. A great newbie thread is here - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

The costs really depend on the size of your tank. Larger tanks are more expensive but are generally easier to keep as they are more stable, water parameter wise. The one thing I will say is that it is a ridiculously expensive and time consuming hobby. You should read and plan for a good 2-3 months before you even think about purchasing your first item. Also keep in mind that honestly, the tank itself is the least cost. To give you an idea, I have a 90g tank with a 40g sump. I have what I consider to be pretty bare essentials, I bought a lot of my stuff used or on sale, and I have spent about $1000 on gear alone. This does not account for fish, inverts, or corals.

For me, the cost online is a little cheaper than my LFS (local fish store.) Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Welcome. :) It is a great hobby, and a very beautiful one as well. I can spend hours and hours staring at my tank and I have barely anything in it.

I cannot recommend enough the forums over at reefcentral.com. A great newbie thread is here - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696795

The costs really depend on the size of your tank. Larger tanks are more expensive but are generally easier to keep as they are more stable, water parameter wise. The one thing I will say is that it is a ridiculously expensive and time consuming hobby. You should read and plan for a good 2-3 months before you even think about purchasing your first item. Also keep in mind that honestly, the tank itself is the least cost. To give you an idea, I have a 90g tank with a 40g sump. I have what I consider to be pretty bare essentials, I bought a lot of my stuff used or on sale, and I have spent about $1000 on gear alone. This does not account for fish, inverts, or corals.

For me, the cost online is a little cheaper than my LFS (local fish store.) Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not.

I am fully prepared to spend a bunch of money on this. The real concern I have is how difficult is it to get coral to grow and keep things alive? Also how do you find out what fish go with what coral/what fish with what other fish? I found a person on Craigslist selling this: http://omaha.craigslist.org/hsh/2356531580.html
and another person selling this: http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/2383782478.html are those decent prices for what they are selling? I know you said spend months checking poo poo out before I buy, but if these are good deals I can buy them now and sit on them while I get all setup.

Thanks for both the forum links I will totally check them out hard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There will always be good deals. I would wait until you have some idea about what you want, and then find something and post a "is this a good deal?" thread on either forum.

To give you an idea on corals, I have added 2 "colonies" (decent sized corals, not tiny little frags) about a month ago, and both have grown without me really having to do anything. Some corals are very easy to grow, some are very hard. I know that my tank is new, and I am new, so I stick to the easy corals. There are some very beautiful easy corals.

There is a thread on Reef Central, in the newbie forum, specifically for you to ask "hey here are the fish I want, what are good ideas and what are bad ideas?" I read through a good portion of that thread, even though it is huge, so I could get a better idea on what I wanted to keep.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

avan posted:

I am fully prepared to spend a bunch of money on this. The real concern I have is how difficult is it to get coral to grow and keep things alive? Also how do you find out what fish go with what coral/what fish with what other fish? I found a person on Craigslist selling this: http://omaha.craigslist.org/hsh/2356531580.html
and another person selling this: http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/2383782478.html are those decent prices for what they are selling? I know you said spend months checking poo poo out before I buy, but if these are good deals I can buy them now and sit on them while I get all setup.

Thanks for both the forum links I will totally check them out hard.

I would stray away from craigslist tanks unless you know for sure they used it in a marine setup. The amount of chemicals/treatments/meds that go into a freshwater tank that are also detrimental to marine life is astounding.

Also, occasionally Petco has a sale where it's pretty much $1/gallon on tanks, so you could get something great there for cheap. You could also look for 20L (20 gallon long) breeder tanks to get you started if you want to start on a small scale. Just a warning about that, tanks are like tattoos.. once you get one you're going to want to upgrade as soon as you have it set up.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I would stray away from craigslist tanks unless you know for sure they used it in a marine setup. The amount of chemicals/treatments/meds that go into a freshwater tank that are also detrimental to marine life is astounding.

Also, occasionally Petco has a sale where it's pretty much $1/gallon on tanks, so you could get something great there for cheap. You could also look for 20L (20 gallon long) breeder tanks to get you started if you want to start on a small scale. Just a warning about that, tanks are like tattoos.. once you get one you're going to want to upgrade as soon as you have it set up.

I sort of figured that it would maybe be smarter to start with a small tank (that nano beginners guide recommends a 24gallon) But I really think it would be best to get a good sized tank to start with so I dont need to buy all new stuff in a year. Basically I just really want to eventually have this from earlier in the thread (it's the picture that made me interested.

edit:// Is there a type of octopus that isnt too big that would be able to fit in an aquarium? Or do people not really do that unless its zoo sized? I want an octopus so badly.

avan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 19, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

avan posted:

I sort of figured that it would maybe be smarter to start with a small tank (that nano beginners guide recommends a 24gallon) But I really think it would be best to get a good sized tank to start with so I dont need to buy all new stuff in a year. Basically I just really want to eventually have this from earlier in the thread (it's the picture that made me interested.

edit:// Is there a type of octopus that isnt too big that would be able to fit in an aquarium? Or do people not really do that unless its zoo sized? I want an octopus so badly.

That's a mighty fine tank! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most attainable octopi are cold water species which requires a very specialized setup including chillers (which can be expensive!)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can do Octopuses. While they require a specialized tank you'd be surprised at how small of a tank they need. There is a forum on RC devoted to Cephalopods.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You CAN do octopus, but you do need a specialized setup--they're strong, they're smart (as in, actually highly and frighteningly intelligent), and they can squeeze down to the size of their beak, that makes them master escape artists. And the ones that you CAN stick in a tank at home only live for a couple of years.

Because they are intelligent and can have a great deal of personality and interactivity, you get to the point where you think of them like the family dog ... and then they die. It's setting up for a lot of heartbreak, in my opinion.

avan
Apr 26, 2010

arioch posted:

You CAN do octopus, but you do need a specialized setup--they're strong, they're smart (as in, actually highly and frighteningly intelligent), and they can squeeze down to the size of their beak, that makes them master escape artists. And the ones that you CAN stick in a tank at home only live for a couple of years.

Because they are intelligent and can have a great deal of personality and interactivity, you get to the point where you think of them like the family dog ... and then they die. It's setting up for a lot of heartbreak, in my opinion.

Thats exactly what I am looking for! It is better to have loved and lost, then to have never befriended an octopus at all.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Keeping an octopus is pretty rare even in the marine hobby. I would start with easier, hardier livestock because nothing turns people away from the hobby faster than killing a bunch of stuff.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

avan posted:

First off!

DO NOT buy anything yet. Nothing. Not even a tank. Before you think about purchasing anything, go to: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

There you will find a full write up on how to properly setup and run a tank. The authors break down and explain everything and it will honestly take you about a week or two (or three) to read through and ABSORB the material. Everything in that thread is gold material and should be considered essential if you would like to do this right.

Once you have spent a month or two (or THREE) browsing the forums at Reefcentral (looking at people setups, observing peoples problems and most importantly talking to other reefers) you then need to create a plan. That means:

-Figure out your budget, even if you think you have an unlimited budget, figure one out.

-Start a list of things you need to purchase. That includes: tank (overflow? drilled? Reefready? DIY overflow?), sump (DIY? or purchased?), stand, lighting (LED? T5? MH? PC?), filtration, monitors, heaters, chillers (if needed), rock (live? dry?), sand (size grain?), powerheads, pumps, plumbing, test kits, dosing kits, reactors (will you have use for them?), auto top off system, and most importantly a place to put all of this stuff and where the tank will be placed.

-Take this list to a few forums, including here and Reefcentral, and run it by some people. Check to see if you are missing anything, or if people will recommend changing some of your items and why. Another important tool is to place how much you are paying for the items, sometimes reefers can help lower your costs.

-If you can, draw up your plumbing and get advice from some guru's. This, aside from some other DIY projects can be the most daunting task to a new reefer. (I know it was for me)

Lastly, yes there are some really great places to buy from online that will save you money (Aquacave.com , Marinedepot.com are just a few reputable sites). A big help will be to check with your local reefclub. Usually the local fish stores offer a 20% discount on products and livestock if you are apart if the reef club in your area that sponsors them. If this is the case it may be in your best interest to join.

It's a large community and from what I've learned is that everyone is here to help you out. Ask questions, and most importantly take your time, this is a hobby for the patient.

Dono fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 20, 2011

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I look at a reef tank like an underwater bonsai tree. It's a long term investment of time that pays off a little each day - sometimes so small you don't even notice it. But like everyone else, you will find your level of enjoyment - how big of a tank you feel like maintaining, how much effort you want to put into testing and water quality, and how much you're willing to spend. It's entirely possible to have a gorgeous tank within your comfort zone, but you're definitely going to see setups that wow you but the back of your mind says 'I would NEVER be willing to maintain that'.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I can't agree with the previous post more. I absolutely loved my 24 gallon aquapod.. then figured that I'd love a 90 gallon even more. This turned out to not be the case.

In fact, the water was easier to keep clean in the 24 than the 90 probably mostly due to my enjoyment in the hobby being greater with the 24. Also, stocking a 24 is so easy compared to a 90.

If I got back into the hobby, it'd be with another 24 gallon nano and either T5HO or LED. I made a mistake selling my Nova Extreme Pro 6x54 T5HO and buying a dual 250w MH HQI. The T5HO was so much more 'stable'; it only lacked the sparkle that MH gives you. That is why I'd go LED.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I'll reiterate the don't-buy-things-yet advice. I got all excited and bought a skimmer from craigslist that I ended up replacing with a new, more efficient design. It still sits by my wall, remind me of my shame. I also bought a T12 VHO light kit which seems to be going the way of the dinosaur in favor of slimmmer, sexier T5HO or LED setups. The lights will work, of course, but I hope I can get rid of that skimmer and not have lost too much money on it. poo poo ain't cheap.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Is this little pink starfish guy anything to worry about? He has been clearing a swath through this algae (brown diatoms according to my friend.)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Dono posted:

It's a large community and from what I've learned is that everyone is here to help you out. Ask questions, and most importantly take your time, this is a hobby for the patient.

I think this is great advice. I got really into marine setups awhile back, but it was frustrating how much conflicting advice there is, even when you're trying to find an answer to what you think is a simple question. The best thing I did was to take my time to understand the -why- behind all the advice, so I could actually sift through it more knowledgeably. Having a solid understanding of the biological processes and various animals in my tank was also a big part of what I enjoyed about having a saltwater tank, too. My favorite things in my tank by far were my army of nassarius snails. I loved playing God of my own little aquatic world.

I've been moving too much the last few years to have a tank, but I can't wait to really settle in somewhere and build the 125g of my dreams. My 55g was fun and manageable (and generally quite stable) for a beginner, but it honestly took about 3 months before I was dying to upgrade to something larger. In retrospect, I wish I had bought more live rock to start with, created a large refugium, and made a deeper sandbed.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
Can't resist reiterating the waiting period on buying equipment. I've been pouring over the equipment and stock list for my planned 75 gallon system since January, and I still make changes to this day, albeit very minor ones at this point. It's much better to tweak a system in the planning stages than to attempt a massive overhaul after all is up and running. Also, DIY research is worth it just out of the money you'll save if things are well planned and done right.

I really want to avoid the mistakes I made with my two previous FOWLR setups, and the wait filled with research has made my earlier mistakes very easy to see.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
DIY sump is the way to go also. More efficient and versatile than store made imo, and much cheaper.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.
So I've been really wanting to invest in a nice lighting system for a new 5 gallong tank I've aquired.
I've been thinking about this:
http://www.aquaillumination.com/nano.html

It's pricey, can range from 350-450$ depending on what features you get, and for me it will be a while to save up for this. Since I really really want to start getting some nice corals, I figure this would be the way to go, and I'm willing to invest in it.. IF it's worth it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I realize you said "nice", but I can't imagine spending that kind of money when either one of these would probably do just fine -

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-PAR-Bulbs/Categories

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Alright, I'm usually pretty good about impulse purchases but I went to check out a new saltwater aquarium store. I remember that emerald crabs were often sold as part of "reef cleaner packs" so I assumed they would be find with my 2 clownfish.

So far there are no problems, but as I've been reading more I've been finding horror stories about psychotic murdering emerald crabs ambushing unsuspecting fish and devouring them. Do I have anything to worry about? The crabs are about quarter sized, one clown is 2.5" the other is about 1".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think I've read anything about them eating fish, only picking at coral. But that seemed to be explained away by "the coral was dying." Maybe the same thing for the fish stories?

I stayed away from them and opted for porcelain crabs, though. Problem with those is that you never see them. Or at least I don't. :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
All crabs are omnivores. Emeralds get big enough and hungry enough that they will prefer meat to their veggies. They used to tear fins on my fish trying to catch them, so I banished the bigger ones to a smaller tank, where eventually they became food for my peacock mantis.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

How much quieter are internal pumps than external? I've got a panworld 50PX-X and it is like a jet engine in my basement. I'd like to replace it with a mag12, but I'm mainly doing it to quiet things down. It's an awful racket.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Melchior posted:

How much quieter are internal pumps than external? I've got a panworld 50PX-X and it is like a jet engine in my basement. I'd like to replace it with a mag12, but I'm mainly doing it to quiet things down. It's an awful racket.

I run a Mag9 now in my system, and while it's not silent by any means, I don't really notice it, and it's in my stand (in the sump) just below my tank. I have heard some other friends pumps and I do think mine is much quieter.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I have a tunze silence return and it is genuinely silent, but it's only pushing about half of what a mag12 would be.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I don't necessarily need silent, but anything less than 'washing machine' level of noise is an improvement. I get really good flow with this Panworld pump, but the bottom of my stand and the wall it's against is a huge echo chamber for it. At least if the pump is underwater the noise is mitigated somewhat.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Some shots of my tank this evening with my non-cellphone camera :)

Cleaner:

Clown Goby:

Ricordeas:

Maxi-Mini:

Giant Palys and Mandarin:

Maxi-Mini, Clowns and Their Host Xenia:

Frogspawn:

Crappy Top-Down FTS:

Enjoy!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYMsVr-qjMw

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I don't have a mantis, but I do have a stupid pistol shrimp that loves to turn anything in the sandbed into a door for his cave :(

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Well I finally filled up my tank and started cycling water through the sump. GODDAMN is it loud. The overflow itself is fine (thanks glass-holes.com), but the water going through the pipes and splashing into the sump is just nuts. Half the noise seems to come from the weird angles I had to put in to go around the edge of my stand, and the other half from the water's velocity as it hits the water already in the sump.

http://i.imgur.com/MdiqT.jpg

I've ordered some flex PVC so I can get rid of the angles and go more horizontal with the pipe before it exits to the sump. The water in the left-most pipe in that picture is moving insanely fast when it exits, and the right side is moving at a pretty quick clip too despite the couple feet of horizontal. I also want to try to put in a spash-down zone that serves to break up the flow and slow it down before it reaches the rest of the sump to avoid the splashy problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are the PVC pipes from the overflows where the water is exiting underwater? If not I think it should be. Also you can put a T at the end so the air bubbles go up and the water goes down, is supposed to reduce the noise a bit. Honestly that is the loudest part of my system as well.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Right now the 45s at the ends are half submerged. I thought it would do good to let the air out without splashing too much but the water is just moving too fast. When I redo with the flex PVC I'll have some... flexibility to play around with where the exit is. I'll try the T option you mentioned, I believe I have some laying around.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Yea, your drain should be ending below the water line when the system is running. I actually took a 2 liter bottle, cut the top off, and threw some rocks in the bottom and put my drain from the tank into it to quiet things down. Now I just have to replace the jet engine that is the Panworld 50pxx with a Mag 12.5 and I'll be kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
Having to revise my 75 gallon plan to a 40 breeder due to flooring that I'm kind of iffy about with that much weight, as well as the possibility of a move a few years down the road. Saves me some money, albeit not that much when I actually price everything out. Beats a massive operation when it comes time to move or a hole in the floor, though.

• Locked thread