Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Golbez posted:

the rapid descent of the human mind into madness.

Did you use this phrase somewhere else? I was looking for variations on this, trying to find that link again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Anyone know the Latin phrase for "From the beginning comes my end"? I'm writing a story and I don't trust Google Translate to give me the right translation.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

tarepanda posted:

Did you use this phrase somewhere else? I was looking for variations on this, trying to find that link again...

I don't think I have, but googling shows "rapid descent into madness" is a common turn of phrase.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah, it is... I just saw that particular thread mentioned in conjunction with that exact phrase (I could swear).

Thanks, both of you!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

saberwulf posted:

Anyone know the Latin phrase for "From the beginning comes my end"? I'm writing a story and I don't trust Google Translate to give me the right translation.

Ab principio meum fatum venit.

It'd help if you gave me a bit of context. I just did the loftiest version I could come up with.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Why not incepto? Or venibit?

It seems like an implied future tense in the quote.

But yeah, the context would be a huge help for this kind of thing.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

silversiren posted:

There's a local islamic center here in town I've been wanting to check out services at. I'm not thinking of converting, I'm just very curious about it. Thing is, I'm a woman; would I be required to cover up by their customs, or what? I don't have a problem doing it I just don't want to show up and insult anyone by not being covered.

They actually have a pretty good website, here's the link to their visitor info page, it has dress code stuff on it. I had asked a muslim coworker about visiting a while back and he told me that at one point they actually offered a class for people who were interested in islam but not planning on converting but I don't know if they still do that anymore. Might want to email them and see what they suggest.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Ab principio meum fatum venit.

It'd help if you gave me a bit of context. I just did the loftiest version I could come up with.

tarepanda posted:

There isn't a context really, it's going to an opening one liner. It references how the main character will die at the end of the story, which takes place in a massive Multiversal hub. It relates to the phrase because he is experiencing his end in what has become a beginning for so many paths.

Edit: That would give me from the beginning to the end, which is not what I'm looking for. I want as 1:1 as I can get for "From the beginning comes my end".
\/\/\/

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 20, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

saberwulf posted:

There isn't a context really, it's going to an opening one liner. It references how the main character will die at the end of the story, which takes place in a massive Multiversal hub. It relates to the phrase because he is experiencing his end in what has become a beginning for so many paths.

If you're looking for a more idiomatic way, use "ab ovo usque ad mala," which literally translates to "from eggs (at the beginning of a meal) all the way to apples (for dessert)".

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Someone reversed into my car and smashed a tail light. They left a number.

Are the only things I need off them their Name, Number, License Plate, Drivers License number and who they are insured with?

And then I just call my insurer with those details?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have an autoit script that uses an identical block of functions many times. If I want to change a variable in this block, I have to change it for every occurrence of that block. Is it possible to somehow write that block once, name it something like "FUNCTION BLOCK", then when I want to use it in the script, use something like DO "FUNCTION BLOCK"?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

tarepanda posted:

Because incepto is a participle and venibit is not a word (you mean veniet). Looking at his context, I think present is still a good choice, since the story is going to progress (in the present) and in so doing his end becomes closer.

I kind of feel like "approaches" might be better than "comes" so try this:
Ab principio fatum mihi adit.
or if you want to stick with "comes," "Ab principio fatum mihi venit."

I also changed "my fate/end" to "fate/end for me" because that feels more idiomatic. It also looks sexier. You can still translate it how you had it, though. It's the same meaning in Latin essentially.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

SkunkDuster posted:

I have an autoit script that uses an identical block of functions many times. If I want to change a variable in this block, I have to change it for every occurrence of that block. Is it possible to somehow write that block once, name it something like "FUNCTION BLOCK", then when I want to use it in the script, use something like DO "FUNCTION BLOCK"?

Am I misunderstanding you or are you just asking if you can create your own function in autoit?

code:
Func _Repetetivestuff($sChangingVars, $sMoreVars)

EndFunc

;...Call it
_Repetetivestuff("aVar", "aNotherVar")
(never used it but it looks very VBish)

Fists Up posted:

Someone reversed into my car and smashed a tail light. They left a number.

Are the only things I need off them their Name, Number, License Plate, Drivers License number and who they are insured with?

And then I just call my insurer with those details?

The proper advice is to call your insurer first and have them tell you how to proceed.

The not so proper advice is to just get a price for the light (50$?) and call them up and thank them for owning up to it and tell them the price.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 20, 2011

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The not so proper advice is to just get a price for the light (50$?) and call them up and thank them for owning up to it and tell them the price.

If I remember rightly, there was a guy in BFC a few months ago who did just this, and then a couple of months later found a much larger issue, which we hadn't noticed at the time. It was too late to call the insurers at that point.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
That's why I posted the line above it and mad sure to claim it as "not proper" advice. ;)

There's a good chance that even if the person agrees to it they won't pay, I was just stating there is an alternative and if it's just a busted lamp it may not be worth all the hassle of insurance and whatnot.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Because incepto is a participle and venibit is not a word (you mean veniet). Looking at his context, I think present is still a good choice, since the story is going to progress (in the present) and in so doing his end becomes closer.

I kind of feel like "approaches" might be better than "comes" so try this:
Ab principio fatum mihi adit.
or if you want to stick with "comes," "Ab principio fatum mihi venit."

I also changed "my fate/end" to "fate/end for me" because that feels more idiomatic. It also looks sexier. You can still translate it how you had it, though. It's the same meaning in Latin essentially.

Thanks for the help. I'll go with "Ab principio fatum mihi adit" because, like you said, it sounds better. It also relates better since he falls off the largest tower in The Hub at the end, which happens to be built on a big stone portal that caused the beginning of the place.

From the beginning his end approaches, in that he is about to hit the ground from a mile up.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
A week ago wandering through the forest with the dog I noticed a faint crackling noise when I stood still and listened intensely. Like when taking a bath, there is a lot of foam and you can hear the bubbles pop.

It was dry for a few weeks and there were a lot of caterpillars hanging down the trees from sticky threads. I remember hearing this distinct crackling noise before around the same time of the year. Does anyone have an explanation? My best bets so far are: dry leaves on the ground are being moved by the wind or it perhaps has something to do with the caterpillars (or I'm going mad). Any nature minded people have an explanation? The noise stopped after it rained.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 20, 2011

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I have a suspicious feeling in my right forearm for the past few days, like it's being stretched (obviously because of constant computer usage). Is it bad?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

A week ago wandering through the forest with the dog I noticed a faint crackling noise when I stood still and listened intensely. Like when taking a bath, there is a lot of foam and you can hear the bubbles pop.

It was dry for a few weeks and there were a lot of caterpillars hanging down the trees from sticky threads. I remember hearing this distinct crackling noise before around the same time of the year. Does anyone have an explanation? My best bets so far are: dry leaves on the ground are being moved by the wind or it perhaps has something to do with the caterpillars (or I'm going mad). Any nature minded people have an explanation? The noise stopped after it rained.

Sometimes you can actually hear how caterpillars eat leaves, this could be it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Shy posted:

Sometimes you can actually hear how caterpillars eat leaves, this could be it.

That sounds like a likely explanation. Thanks!

quote:

I have a suspicious feeling in my right forearm for the past few days, like it's being stretched (obviously because of constant computer usage). Is it bad?

In the long run this could result in tenosynovitis, so I'd give it some rest and change the mouse from right to left occasionally.

Volkeren
Oct 25, 2007

Laws are for people who don't breed killer monsters for a living.
Edit: Question answered, the game I was looking for is called "Champions of Zulula."

Volkeren fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 22, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I remember the game you're talking about, but the only fighter names I can remember from that era are Sango Fighter and One Must Fall. I'm /pretty/ sure it's not Sango Fighter...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Volkeren posted:

I don't think this deserves it's own thread, but can anyone tell me what video game I'm trying to think of? I believe it's a very old shareware title, maybe DOS, and I'm pretty sure it appeared on the original volume of "100 Great Action Arcade Games." However, I can only find any information for volumes 2 through 5 on Google. The CD also included demos for games like Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Wolfenstein 3D.

Anyhow, this game I'm trying to remember the name of was a 2D fighter in which you could pick one of several gladiators, from monsters to armored knights, skeletons, etc., and one of the characters I distinctly remember being an ostrich... I think another was a slime. The fights took place in a big sandy medieval arena, and I think that when a character was struck, blood or colored fluid would fall to the ground and stick there until the round was over. Anyone have any idea what game I'm thinking of, or know of a place where I could find the list of the games that were included on the "100 Great Action Arcade Games" original volume?

Edit: I also think there may have been some kind of tourney mode, where you can participate but can also watch the AI duke it out (since I was terrible at the game), and then at the end a winner would be crowned somehow...

VVV One Must Fall was definitely one of the games on that disc, I remember that really well! Sango Fighter doesn't ring a bell, though.

Best to ask here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Volkeren
Oct 25, 2007

Laws are for people who don't breed killer monsters for a living.

Thank you very much for redirecting me, I'll be sure to ask in there instead.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

In the long run this could result in tenosynovitis, so I'd give it some rest and change the mouse from right to left occasionally.

I put my mouse on the left, let's see how it works. Thank you for suggestion.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I saw a banner ad for ElasticSteel (http://www.elasticsteel.net/Articles.asp?ID=156) and I've always wanted to be that flexible. Is this a goon thing, or just some random banner ad?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tarepanda posted:

I saw a banner ad for ElasticSteel (http://www.elasticsteel.net/Articles.asp?ID=156) and I've always wanted to be that flexible. Is this a goon thing, or just some random banner ad?

If you can't evaluate that page on its own merits, you need more time on the internet. Obviously a scammy site.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Hahaha, this looks like both his feet are on the ground, but there's a third one coming out of his butt at which he looks a bit terrified while turning his spine to an unnatural angle.

Great find, that site.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

baquerd posted:

If you can't evaluate that page on its own merits, you need more time on the internet. Obviously a scammy site.

Yeah, obviously, but I was wondering if it was some kind of goon joke. Because usually the ads I see are all for goon services (and linked to SA mart).

Or Japan Cupid. It's hilarious seeing a line-up of girls... and a cat.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Shy posted:

I put my mouse on the left, let's see how it works. Thank you for suggestion.

Take some ibuprofen to reduce any swelling/inflammation and take breaks more often

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Goon adds are on the bottom, corporate adds are on the top. Also goons are horrible persons, do not trust them.

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
My iPhone is not synced to my current computer. The computer it's synced to is completely dead. I just dropped my iPhone minutes ago and the screen cracked. How do I transfer all of the app data, photos, and music, including pirated stuff, to my iTunes library? I've only seen methods for transferring music and nothing else :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Why do people talk about a site called reddit recently when they mean 4chan? What's the connection here? Thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Astro Cake posted:

My iPhone is not synced to my current computer. The computer it's synced to is completely dead. I just dropped my iPhone minutes ago and the screen cracked. How do I transfer all of the app data, photos, and music, including pirated stuff, to my iTunes library? I've only seen methods for transferring music and nothing else :(
You go buy it all instead of stealing it?

BonHair posted:

Goon adds are on the bottom, corporate adds are on the top. Also goons are horrible persons, do not trust them.
Sorry, and I know you didn't ask, but FYI: ads. Add is what someone does who is practicing mathematics. "He adds up all the money he made from posting ads on SA."

Why do people talk about a site called reddit recently when they mean 4chan? What's the connection here? Thanks!
In many ways they are gradually becoming the same thing. Which means moof is becoming Conde Nast or vice versa :stare:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

randyest posted:

You go buy it all instead of stealing it?

The pirated stuff is from years ago. I don't remember what is or isn't pirated. Quit being a snob and actually attempt to answer my question.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Astro Cake posted:

The pirated stuff is from years ago. I don't remember what is or isn't pirated. Quit being a snob and actually attempt to answer my question.
gently caress you and read the forum rules; no one is going to help you with that here. Enjoy you are ban (actually probably just probation, but I'm hoping the anime av pushes it over the top.)

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Astro Cake posted:

1. Google "Backup iPhone to New Computer"
2. Don't be a twat shouting about your pirated material when its against forums rules
3. http://ipodbackup.ipod-to-computer.net/backup-everything-on-iphone-to-new-computer.html

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I wasn't asking for pirated materials, so I see no issue. I made a mistake years ago, that's all.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Am I misunderstanding you or are you just asking if you can create your own function in autoit?

Creating my own function is exactly what I wanted to do - I just didn't realize that's what it was. I was thinking along the lines of a CALL command in a BAT file or something and didn't know you could create your own functions. I'm really terrible at coding. Your reply got me on the right track and now my script is doing what I want it to. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

randyest posted:

Enjoy you are ban

Sorry, and I know you didn't ask, but FYI: your. "You are your own worst enemy."