Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I can only imagine that the first guy to think up the look and concept of the cooling vests and gigantic helmets was a hideously fat goon who refused to be oppressed by pants.

"Yes! Finally I have created the perfect world for noble knights such as I!"
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

MVPs: The Flaming Comet of Not-So-Much-Doom, Von Chucklehead and the train full of rats' anuses (ani?).

Cool scenario, PTN. What's the average mech kills per pilot for these missions? I'd imagine somewhere around .25 or so. Still, I had a lot of fun avoiding fire and making out with skyscrapers.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

This scenario was a fun little twisty one. I can only wonder what the secret objective for destroying the train - my brain wonders if it would've nuked the planet, like a certain building in a certain Mechwarrior 2 scenario. Unlikely, but hey, I can dream.

I'd have to vote for the Von Luckner, the Valkyrie, and the Helicopter. All three were incredibly deadly and effective in their own ways.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
Being a mech pilot is rather like being a gladiator in ancient times. It's not enough to win, you have to put on a show or else the folks in the stands get all kinds of cranky. I messed up, but in the end I'll accept that the whole thing looked pretty darn spectacular.

As for MVPs, here's my votes:

Players - Javelin You did a good job going up and taking out the club solo, then managed to pull off the damage goal at the end, and still die pretty.

Home Guard - Von Luckner I blame you for everything.

Loki - The Chopper That thing did a good job harassing our team, and drawing folks into a bad situation. It also managed to survive the whole encounter, despite my best efforts.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Capskye posted:

Being a mech pilot is rather like being a gladiator in ancient times. It's not enough to win, you have to put on a show or else the folks in the stands get all kinds of cranky. I messed up, but in the end I'll accept that the whole thing looked pretty darn spectacular.

You do not have to win if you put on good enough of a show. :smug: :steelviper:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Arquinsiel posted:

BTW guys, THIS DUDE is who the von Luckner tank is named for.

I always though naming a tank after a naval captain was a really strange thing to do, but then I noticed this in the Wikipedia bibliography:

code:
Pardoe, Blaine The Cruise of the Sea Eagle: The Amazing True Story of Imperial Germany's Gentleman Pirate The Lyons Press, 2005, ISBN 1592286941.
...and suddenly it makes sense, if Blaine "I relentlessly incorporate my hobbies into my sci-fi fiction" Pardoe was involved.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

This scenario was a fun little twisty one. I can only wonder what the secret objective for destroying the train

I made a fake achievement for doing so, but otherwise there was no real advantage or disadvantage to destroying it :ssh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

I made a fake achievement for doing so, but otherwise there was no real advantage or disadvantage to destroying it :ssh:

This is hilarious. I would like to see more of these.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hidden achievements in the scenarios? Awesome.

We already unlocked JUSTICE FOOT and STEINER RULES. Someone please keep tally.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
MVPs:

HG: Von Luckner
Loki: The refinery building
Himibjorg: the Javelin because he seemed to be the only one to not die in part due to his own recklessness.

Looking forward to seeing the plot writeup following this one. Big things are afoot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

an oddly awful oud posted:

...and suddenly it makes sense, if Blaine "I relentlessly incorporate my hobbies into my sci-fi fiction" Pardoe was involved.

His constant US Civil War allusions made his novels set in the FCCW almost unreadable.

Yes, I know they're both Civil Wars.

No, they don't really have anything else in common.

No, it's not in any way logical for everyone to know all about the historical figures of a US Civil War from over 1100 years ago when they come from a primarily German or Anglo-French background.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

Achievements in LPs?

You might be on to something there.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
How about

'On the chin' : Die from a single PPC headshot.
'Mein Fuhrer, I can walk' : Stand up with two destroyed feet.
'Dang it, Bobby' : Destroy the fuel tanks.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Nevets posted:

How about

'On the chin' : Die from a single PPC headshot.
'Mein Fuhrer, I can walk' : Stand up with two destroyed feet.
'Dang it, Bobby' : Destroy the fuel tanks.

'Against All Odds' : kill something while in an Urbanmech
'The Fugitive' : kill something with one arm blown off
'This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man' : knock an opponent off his/her feet

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"HEY GUYS! WATCH THIS!" : killed while attempting DFA.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

"Tis but a flesh wound" -Stand with only one leg
"...AND HAVE YOU" -Bludgeon an opponent with your own dismembered leg

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Iridium posted:

'Against All Odds' : kill something while in an Urbanmech
'The Fugitive' : kill something with one arm blown off
'This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man' : knock an opponent off his/her feet

"Base Jumper" : Survive being pushed off a cliff or building of height 4 or greater
"Lone Wolf" : Finish a scenario as the last member of your group alive
"Joana, you Haxxor!": Kill an opponent with a Jump Jet flame burst at the Head
"I have the High Ground!" : Kill a mech of superior tonnage with a DFA manuever
"Underwater Explorer" : Survive a sub-ocean surface scenario in a mech without Harjel
"Dead Eye" : Kill an opponent at a distance of 22+ hexes
"David vs. Goliath" : Kill an Assault mech using a Light mech

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
"Further than it looks": Take a shot with a 13+ to hit.
"One in a million" : Mission kill a mech with a TAC without any structure damage.
"Bee swarm" : Actually hit with all 20 missiles while firing an LRM20.
"Ooomph" : Push someone out of the mission area.
"I know Kung-Fu" : Dissable a standing mech with a kick to the head.
"It's a me" : Disable a mech with a DFA actually hitting the head.
"Warmed up" : Keep your MASC on for five turns straight.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
"Heat Wave" - Survive an Inferno/Flamer barrage without shutting down
"Urban Renewal" - Kill an enemy by dropping a building on it
"CLEAR!" - Kill someone with a PPC hit to the left torso

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
'Steiner to the Core'('Highlander Burial'): DFA an enemy with an Assult-class mech (Highlander Burial only possible if 'OHGODMYEARSWHYOHWHYDOTHEYHURT?' is also unlocked.)
'Zell-bring it on!': Intentionally break Zellbringen in a battle with multiple mechs
'Put to Sleep': Die from a headshot while prone and unable to stand
'MMA Champion': Kill one mech with only melee attacks
'Wow, That Sucked': Miss an attack on an adjacent hex
'OHGODMYEARSWHYOHWHYDOTHEYHURT?': Play th' Sounds o' th' Old Country, Laddie!

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 21, 2011

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
"This belongs to me now" - Sever a limb in melee combat.
"Fight in the shade" - get killed by an Arrow IV.
"Numerical advantage" - As a Comguard Level II, defeat a Clan Star with one surviving 'mech.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

"Put me in, coach" - Five mechwarriors fail to respond to their summons, giving you a chance to play before the end :v:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chronojam posted:

"Put me in, coach" - Five mechwarriors fail to respond to their summons, giving you a chance to play before the end :v:

Speaking of which, go ahead and add me to the player list. I know I won't get to play, but just.. just do it anyway.

I have plat.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Player MVP: TildeATH and Dominus Caedis get a shared MVP for their efforts at urban renewal, Lybia-style.

Home Guard MVP: The Von Luckner. Blew apart the Assassin, rolled right through the refinery explosion without giving a gently caress and then fired the last shot that squashed the Javelin.

Loki MVP: Eh, they didn't do much memorable... I guess the Warrior for being annoying.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 21, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My player MVP vote goes to whoever attempted the action-hero jump out of the refinery. It may not be a hero's death, but you'll be remembered forever by the people of Tharkad.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

landcollector posted:

"David vs. Goliath" : Kill an Assault mech using a Light mech

I can actually top that. In the early stages of the thread a bunch of us started playing MegaMek. We had one round where I was the first or second mech destroyed, but the pilot survived. I kept him meandering around the field taking potshots with a laser rifle until towards the end. Actually took down a mech (would have been medium or heavy, probably the former) with my rifle and a lucky critical ammo explosion. Out of a field of 8, in spite of being violently dispossessed very early on, I ended up lasting until it was just me versus the final mech.

Who, needless to say, atomized me without a second thought. Still, luckiest moment ever in that game.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
You know, these achievements will only encourage reckless play. I like it.
    :Do it from behind: Kill an enemy mech with a shot to *TR
    code:
    Completed 2011.02.01. Awarded to William "Axe-man" Desmond BJ-1DB Blackjack, Cylene
    :Assassin's Creed: Kill an enemy mech with an edged weapon
    :IT'S A TRAP: Overreact to opfor tactics
    :LRN 2 Drive: Die as a result of a failed PSR
    :LRN 2 Shoot: Fail a 3+ TH roll (Thanks to AtomikKrab for correction)
    :My other car is a Prius: Demonstrate efficiency with two kills in 3 turns. Bonus for completion in a tank.
    code:
    Mech completion: Completed 2011.01.27. Awarded to Sandra 'Pladdicus' St. Croix, VLT-5T Vulcan, Cylene
    :Conditional Risk- More likely from a shark attack: Die from a (ER)PPC shot
    code:
    Completed 2011.04.05. Awarded to Staff Sergeant Major Gerhart "Angry_Ed" von Kempner, BNC-3S Banshee, with aid 
    from Mechwarrior Drang of Clan Steel Viper, Hellbringer/Lucerne Prime, Somerset. Thanks to landcollector
    :Tokyo Drift: Skid in a mech without taking damage
    :2Fast2Furious: Achieve a self or opfor mission kill with a skid
    :Yes, considerably: 2 opfor mech kills in a battle
    code:
    Completed 2011.03.22. Awarded to Rebecca “bunnyofdoom” Moss, LNC25-01 Lancelot, Unnamed world in the Free World 
    League-Capellan Confederation borderlands
    :PC LOAD LETTER: Kill an enemy with at least one club attack and one kick
    :Burn the land: Start a forest fire
    code:
    Completed 2011.03.27. Awarded to Leutnant Samantha "Mukaikubo" Clover, ZEU-6S Zeus, Somerset
    :Boil the sea: Attack an opponent in a water hex (suggestions welcome for this one...)
    :You can't take the sky from me: Kill an opponent mid-DFA to block the attack
    code:
    Completed 2011.05.18. Awarded to Von Luckner Tank Crew 13 "Dragonslayers", VNL-K65N Von Luckner Heavy Tank, with aid 
    from Heimdall Operative “Snow” AKA "Capskye", ASN-21 Assassin, Tharkad
    :Bored: Attack something for no tactical or mission benefit
    :This is My BOOMSTICK: Obtain a kill with a single-shot ranged weapon dealing 15 damage or greater (ie LRM20s don't count. UAC10s, RACs marginal, depends on the heroism of the kill)
I may have missed some completions, help appreciated!

Rivensteel fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 21, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rivensteel posted:

:More likely from a shark attack: Die from a (ER)PPC shot

The "More likely from a shark attack" achievement has been met. The Banshee (piloted by Angry_Ed) in the Vipers of Somerset scenario was destroyed on update 7 by a headshot from one of the B5 Lucrene's ER-PPCs.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

the JJ posted:

Logic dictates that you blow up the horse you rode in on.

Kill the train.

I called it. I loving called it, the first loving post after that train went red. I loving called it.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

landcollector posted:

The "More likely from a shark attack" achievement has been met.

Updated!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MVPs

Heimdall - Javelin You put on the boots for this one.

Home Guard - Von Luckner I blame you for everything.

Loki - S1 Stinger, the Mech with No Name. You managed to survive being shot at from the very first exchange of fire. Think of the stories he'd be able to tell his kids if he was sane enough to have any.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Iridium posted:

I can actually top that. In the early stages of the thread a bunch of us started playing MegaMek. We had one round where I was the first or second mech destroyed, but the pilot survived. I kept him meandering around the field taking potshots with a laser rifle until towards the end. Actually took down a mech (would have been medium or heavy, probably the former) with my rifle and a lucky critical ammo explosion. Out of a field of 8, in spite of being violently dispossessed very early on, I ended up lasting until it was just me versus the final mech.

Who, needless to say, atomized me without a second thought. Still, luckiest moment ever in that game.

Perhaps the 2nd game of Battletech that I ever played had a Crusader happen upon a platoon of rifle infantry 1 hex away. Fire from the Crusader killed 27 of the 28 guys.

Last guy? TAC through the CT to set off the SRM ammo there. Kablooie.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Taerkar posted:

Perhaps the 2nd game of Battletech that I ever played had a Crusader happen upon a platoon of rifle infantry 1 hex away. Fire from the Crusader killed 27 of the 28 guys.

Last guy? TAC through the CT to set off the SRM ammo there. Kablooie.

Back in my very first game, back when it was BattleDROIDS, and with the images of Robotech and missile swarms in our heads, we assumed you could fire as many missiles as you wanted, and watched with horror as a Wasp fired all 100 of its missiles in one turn and vaporized a poor Marauder.

We couldn't figure out why anyone would ever use a Stinger instead of a Wasp.

(And in our defense, I was 11 at the time. :) )

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Where can I read about Avanti's Angels?

quote:

'Steiner to the Core': DFA an enemy with an Assult-class mech

gently caress that. That's a Highlander Burial.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 21, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Where can I read about Avanti's Angels?

Double Blind, which was the first book where they tried to imply that the Word of Blake might be "up to something," which is pretty interesting since it's set during The Great 3055-3060 Faffing About.

It wasn't Coleman's best book, but it was pretty solid and inoffensive. In addition to portraying the Word of Blake as a 'threat' (as opposed to a 'joke'), it also introduced (and is the only book set in, IIRC) a periphery kingdom.

chutche2 posted:

That it is, actually. Next mission might even feature a highlander, but I wouldn't count on it.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

PoptartsNinja posted:

chutche2 posted:

That it is, actually. Next mission might even feature a highlander, but I wouldn't count on it.

Changed. Also added a Highlander-specific additional achievement.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Here's another achievement:

"Oh No, No, Not the bees! Not the bees!" : Be killed by <The Redacted>.

Edit:

paragon1 posted:

Beyond The Impossible: Kill a Dropship with a DFA machine gun.

I think this better fits the nature of the achievement.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 21, 2011

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Say hello to my little friend! : Kill 100 infantry with a machine gun.

Beyond The Impossible: Kill a Dropship with a DFA

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Donut: destroy an enemy mech's CT without damaging the LT or RT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Phantom Bullshit: Make it through a battle without taking damage. Claim that it's because you have ghost-like abilities and not because of hosed up dice.

• Locked thread