Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Stanley Pain posted:

Also, what's this speedboost people are talking about?
Just like how cable can sometimes slow when too many people are using a POI at once, they now allow it to "boost" to much higher tier when conversely overall demand is low at the beginning of a download (hypothetically - there's controversy over exactly how this is happening), making it especially beneficial with things like streaming downloads. Since Teksavvy servers usually have bandwidth to spare, it seems to happen far more often when you're with them then with Rogers.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Yes thats essentially correct. I seems to happen for the first Xmb of a transfer and then it settles into 15Mbit speeds. The nice thing about it is that it happens for most HTTP traffic as well, which means even when my connection is completely saturated surfing around is still very snappy. I love it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's only for the first few megabytes of a connection though so it's good for video buffering but not for large downloads. The real benefit is to your e-penis when you run speed tests.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

8ender posted:

Finally got my Teksavvy cable installed and goddamn is it ever fast compared to the 5meg DSL service. My house didn't have cable at all and true to Teksavvy's word the Rogers installer did run an entirely new cable from the box and installed a drop in my basement.

Speedboost is at play here in this speedtest; most of the time I'm getting a solid 15/1Mbit:

Same here. 30-40mbit for short downloads (ie speedtest.net) and almost exactly 15mbit for sustained downloads. I couldn't be happier with them right now.

The "install" was rather hilarious. The Rogers guy showed up, walked over to the coax cable that was already sticking out of the wall in my apartment, just the right length to reach my modem, and attached another one to it, and left. That was it.

A bit pointless, but I guess they had to make sure I was wired up correctly. I might just remove the thing, since it's way too long now.

The modem I got (SB6120?) is so much better than the 2wire piece of poo poo I had back home on Sasktel. On that thing, if anyone in the house was downloading at more than about 250KB/sec (max was around 575KB/sec), everyone else's browsing slowed to a crawl. Even if someone was streaming via PS3 Media Server within the house, browsing the net turned into 56k.

On this thing, I can download at 1.8MB/sec, stream HD content to my PS3, and still browse the net just as fast as if I wasn't. It's amazing. I love it. :3

dc3k fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 20, 2011

king of lunch
May 22, 2007
I am made of science

8ender posted:

Finally got my Teksavvy cable installed and goddamn is it ever fast compared to the 5meg DSL service. My house didn't have cable at all and true to Teksavvy's word the Rogers installer did run an entirely new cable from the box and installed a drop in my basement.

Can you give some more info on the process? I'm currently with Teksavvy DSL, but I'm thinking it would be nice to upgrade to the cable so I can use Netflix on two TVs at the same time, which I can't do now. I don't have cable coming into my house, but I do have one internal line run from the basement to the 2nd floor.

How much does Rogers charge to run a line into your house? Or does Teksavvy just eat that fee?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

king of lunch posted:

Can you give some more info on the process? I'm currently with Teksavvy DSL, but I'm thinking it would be nice to upgrade to the cable so I can use Netflix on two TVs at the same time, which I can't do now. I don't have cable coming into my house, but I do have one internal line run from the basement to the 2nd floor.

How much does Rogers charge to run a line into your house? Or does Teksavvy just eat that fee?

Before I signed up Teksavvy told me: "Rogers has to make it work. If there isn't cable there or the cable is marginal then they have to install a new drop in order to get you up and running. You won't be charged for it"

True to their word the Rogers tech showed up, saw that I had no cable, and then made an excuse about not having the right equipment. Two days later he was back and ran a new cable from the box to my house. Its now on some backlog to be buried at some point in the future.

He originally wanted to just drill through the wall of the house into my office and put a drop there but I asked that we run the drop in to a splitter near the breaker in the basement to which he was happy to oblige. He even cut me a nice length of cable to make my own run from the basement back up to my office.

One note: The Motorola SB6120 is apparently a great modem but also pretty sensitive. Even with nearly perfect signal with the new run my modem still had about a day or so of cutting out occasionally and being odd. After about 48 hours it stabilized and has been flawless ever since. They "learn" what channels are best.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

8ender posted:

Unf Speeedboost. The drat thing was boosting to 60Mbit during this test:

The upside of living near Woodstock, Ontario I guess. Theres like no one on this POI.

Why is the upload speed still under a megabit?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

fishmech posted:

Because uploading is for pirates.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I was in Montreal earlier this year on a lovely Bell connection..

Here's my lovely Riga, Latvia connection.

That's fiber in the basement. It's low end, you can go up to 500mbit. But that costs about the equivalent of $60/month. This connection costs $20.

Yes, former USSR kicks our internet rear end.

EDIT: No caps, no traffic shaping.

Backov fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 20, 2011

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Backov posted:

Wow, that makes me furious.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I wish TekSavvy would drop Cable lines around Montreal, instead of relying on the goddam Videotron backbone :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Migishu posted:

I wish TekSavvy would drop Cable lines around Montreal, instead of relying on the goddam Videotron backbone :(

TekSavvy can't install lines anywhere iirc. They rely on Bell/Rogers/Shaw/Telus for last mile.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone know what's going on with Shaw's home phone service? I don't have it but several people I know are saying they can't call their parents who have it etc.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Anyone know what's going on with Shaw's home phone service? I don't have it but several people I know are saying they can't call their parents who have it etc.

Just called my house (which is using Shaw) and it was fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm perhaps they got it fixed. I did notice a few shaw vans doing stuff using the cherry pickers on the way to work this morn.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Backov posted:

That's fiber in the basement. It's low end, you can go up to 500mbit. But that costs about the equivalent of $60/month. This connection costs $20.

It might suck for a lot of reasons, but I'll be damned if the internet in Russia isn't fantastic compared to here. 100Mbps, region-wide LANs for ridiculously high speed file sharing for next to nothing! Almost makes me want to go back.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

priznat posted:

Their PRI service is also down in BC. No idea on an ETA according to our business contact...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

Their PRI service is also down in BC. No idea on an ETA according to our business contact...

:argh: NETFLIX! :argh:

:laugh:

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Backov posted:

It's as if the europeans and asians knew that eventually everything will move to fiber with it extremely scalable bandwidth through multiplexing and other fancy methods so they just decide "gently caress it lets do it now".

Well unless you only look at the short term profit and not caring about the overall economic benefit of a good telecommunication infrastructure.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

fishmech posted:

because :canada: telecoms are horrible and wont let teksavvy have more

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

8ender posted:

because :canada: telecoms are horrible and wont let teksavvy have more

Shaw bumped their former 15/1mbps service up to 25/2.5mbps and apparently that applies to teksavvy as well. I just switched to them last week and my upload is around there (2ish mbps). Though my download speed so far is significantly slower than it was with shaw for some reason. It seems to have gone from 17-20mbps down to about 11-13mbps. Not sure why that would be.

king of lunch
May 22, 2007
I am made of science

8ender posted:

Before I signed up Teksavvy told me: :words:

That sounds like a not-terrible process! I'm surprised.
All the more reason for me to upgrade as soon as possible. Thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Upgrade to TekSavvy cable complete! Quite painless - modem arrived monday, tech arrived wednesday, flipped the switch in the building cable closet (it's an apartment building), stopped by for five minutes to make sure the line was active, and said we'd have an IP in 12-24 hours. It was working in three.

I'm reliably getting 15M down, 512k up (and paying for 10/512). It's pretty nice after being on 5M DSL for two years. All I need to do is get them to re-enable ipv6 and I can kiss DSL goodbye.

That said, it's sad (and infuriating) that 15/512 counts as a nice upgrade when, apparently, I could be getting 50/50 for half the price if I lived in Latvia. Motherfuck.

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

That's a modest improvement while saving $20/month

curiously my uploads go up past 2.5 MBps when I'm dialed into VPN to work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
(Full Disclosure: I'm Shaw Staff and I'm not here in an official capacity. Posts are my own opinion, and not made on behalf of the company)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/shaw-changes-pricing-plans-in-response-to-public-outcry/article2035087/

Second phase of Shaw's UBB Consultations roll out starting tonight, so expect more detailed information making it's way out soon.

Pretty sure this is all that's public right now, so I'm sorry to be cryptic; but I can confirm that the news is actually pretty good. Anyone who opposes UBB across the board as a rule is probably not going to be thrilled, but objectively speaking this looks to be Good News.

Drakkus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 26, 2011

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
See, I'd be really leery of switching to TS right now. I'm not confident that they're even going to EXIST in a year, not until we know more about Paradis.

Do you guys know something I don't?

Edit: holy poo poo, Shaw's keeping the unlimited plans around? Even if they jack the price, that's going to have a big impact on the debate nation-wide.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Details on new packages:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25906194-New-Prices-New-Bundles-Unlimited-Bandwidth

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's actually not.... terrible? I mean realistically I'd be pretty happy with their $59 400gb package compared to my 60gb package for roughly the same price with Cogeco. Or 89 I guess without a TV package, whatever.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Martytoof posted:

That's actually not.... terrible? I mean realistically I'd be pretty happy with their $59 400gb package compared to my 60gb package for roughly the same price with Cogeco.

I think I'm probably safe clarifying:

The prices on the left is the price to add the internet package to existing cable services, while the price on the right would be the cost bundled with the new TV packages (Which were launched a couple months ago.)

No word at this point what the standalone prices will be, or if there will be standalone prices for the new packages.

Until there is more information I'd be looking at the numbers on the right, unless you already have cable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

See, I'd be really leery of switching to TS right now. I'm not confident that they're even going to EXIST in a year, not until we know more about Paradis.

Do you guys know something I don't?

I work for Teksavvy. Yes, they will exist in a year. The only way they might not exist in a year is if the government, despite changing Industry ministers, goes head on into allowing foreign investors to come in and AT&T buys up Teksavvy for a big enough price to make a family company sell to create AT&T Canada. Even then you're going to get awesome service.*

The company just added over 60 employees in the last six months, me included. They used to just have an office in Chatham (along with a lobbying office in Ottawa and a marketing office in Toronto) and they've recently set up an office in Sudbury to add more French speaking CSRs and TSRs.

Teksavvy is a growing company, not a company surviving on just good marketing.

*EDIT: Just because I started working here and I loving love my job, I just want to say that I'm not trying to be an authority on this. Especially the idea of them selling. I have no idea and I'd never bet on it. Oh, and George Burger is really, really tall.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 26, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Stole this from DSLReports:

// go look at the PDF a few pages down.

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 26, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The standalone 25Mbps service looks reasonable. 100Mbps packages are sorta silly if you need a TV bundle unless you absolutely can't wait for Usenet to finish on 25Mbps.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shumagorath posted:

The standalone 25Mbps service looks reasonable. 100Mbps packages are sorta silly if you need a TV bundle unless you absolutely can't wait for Usenet to finish on 25Mbps.

It should have more than 250GB though. I'd be content with 500.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
To be perfectly honest, if I consume 250GB of content it's been a bad month. I can definitely see why people would want it but that's enough Steam to fill my entire SSD or enough Netflix to deprive me of either sleep or a pay cheque.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Interesting that the second set of plans with decent caps require you to subscribe to their television plans. Propping up a dying cable industry with UBB! Hooray!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Here's the PDF its referring to:

http://files.nekonex.com/43495354EC/_mnt_sdcard_Internet_Handout_May_25.pdf

Also:

Customers who choose one of the new packages will enter into an automatic
upgrade program. Those who go over their data consumption will be placed in the
next higher package for the remainder of the month. The following month’s data
will be reset and customers will return to their original package unless they
choose to stay at the higher level.

We have spent the last several months listening to many points of view from the
lobbyists, the industry and most importantly our customers. We hope you agree that
where we have landed is fair, flexible and will set the standard for Internet service in
North America.

For the new plans, "With Personal TV (SPP)" is basically the new standalone price. 250/15 unlimited will set you back $144.90.

I personally think they should have just done "add unlimited data for $15 to any plan" or something. Nobody's going to take that top overkill tier just to get unlimited usage.

Though this will allow them to go ":downs: oh look, nobody's buying our unlimited plan! Clearly the market doesn't want it, we were right about transfer caps!"

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 26, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

To be perfectly honest, if I consume 250GB of content it's been a bad month. I can definitely see why people would want it but that's enough Steam to fill my entire SSD or enough Netflix to deprive me of either sleep or a pay cheque.

This is exactly my thinking. I understand that some people would be happier with a higher cap, but our household has been hovering at 80-100gb since Cogeco introduced the $30 max overage, and that's really with me not being that conservative with what I download. If I need to grab an Xcode patch or some Apple updates I still sometimes grab them on campus and bring them home with a USB stick, but for the most part I don't even bother conserving. If I had 250-400 to play with I can honestly say that I wouldn't be concerned with bandwidth at ALL.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~
(I work for Shaw, and this is my OPINION, and no more)

less than three posted:

I personally think they should have just done "add unlimited data for $15 to any plan" or something. Nobody's going to take that top overkill tier just to get unlimited usage.

I agree that the unlimited options appear to only be on the extreme ends (Low speed, unlimited data, or top speed, unlimited data), and that there is certainly a need for something in the middle.

However, I don't know if a flat +$ for unlimited would fly, since the data caps seem to be intended as a way to distribute costs in a way that *feels* fair, and a bigger pipe, if you're using it at peak, has a larger impact.

Now, I said FEELS fair for a reason, and I think that the public reaction to changes of this sort of something that HAS to be measured, and passing costs straight onto those who use the network during peak would, almost by definition, affect the most amount of people.

But, at the end of the day, if the caps are reasonable, most of the people going over them are in all likelyhood going to be contributing more than is average to peak usage, and I don't think it's unfair to charge heavy usage at peak more than the baseline.

Drakkus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 26, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looking at those plans and just general internet packages all over the web, when are we collectively going to start measuring download speeds in megabytes and not megabits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

when are we collectively going to start measuring download speeds in megabytes and not megabits?
Never, since it's been that way since the beginning of the internet. Besides, if ISPs decided to switch, they'd be flooded with calls by people who don't know any better asking why their internet package is suddenly 8 times slower than it was before.