Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah, it's all about discipline. If you know you'll be focused and paying attention 100% at home do that, but honestly I wouldn't risk it. Besides it's probably the last time you'll see your law school friends before you all turn into lovely ruined people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

diospadre posted:

Besides it's probably the last time you'll see your law school friends before you all turn into lovely ruined people.
This is a really good point. I actually have fond memories of studying for the bar for this reason, as strange as that sounds.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

quotison posted:

The preview was pretty terrible and I wouldn't bother with it. The actual classes are much more methodical.

The main advantage of going to class for me was making sure I was out of bed by 9AM. I was pretty much done studying each day by 4 or 5PM because I wasn't sleeping in, or pausing the barbri video to go browse facebook or something.

This. When I drove to school to watch the lectures, all I had was my lecture handout book. At home, there's an entire universe of distractions.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Lilosh posted:

I read what you wrote and had to look to see if I wrote it.

10 days (due the 27th)
725 pages of research material to write a note.
Another 200-300 pages of material to reference when doing the editing test.

fuuuuuck

There's no way I'm grading on (and even if I get all A+s and manage to be magically one of the 16 best GPAs in my class, we still have to be "not in the bottom third of the writing competition")

I've mentioned being lovely at legal writing, right?

I think you probably have a better chance than you think. When I was on the board of our Law Review and grading the submissions, it was staggering how bad some were. However, of those, I suspected most didn't take it very seriously and spent little time on it. So if you're putting the time in, you'll likely be OK. As a tip, and this might not work universally, but we tended to be impressed with people whose submissions had footnotes that were more than a string of ids. Put some effort into those, and your submission will look like a law review article should, even if the writing isn't quite up to par.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

quepasa18 posted:

I think you probably have a better chance than you think. When I was on the board of our Law Review and grading the submissions, it was staggering how bad some were. However, of those, I suspected most didn't take it very seriously and spent little time on it. So if you're putting the time in, you'll likely be OK. As a tip, and this might not work universally, but we tended to be impressed with people whose submissions had footnotes that were more than a string of ids. Put some effort into those, and your submission will look like a law review article should, even if the writing isn't quite up to par.

Do you have any other tips? We're not allowed to do anything with footnotes other than citations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ugh. I've been trying to get a new legal mal job and while I've made a lot of contacts, none of them have enough work to justify hiring someone full-time.

However, an attorney or two has noted that they do have legal research work from time-to-time and I know that there's a young attorney at a very large firm that bills out legal research under the table $100/hour.

One of the ideas that I've been kicking around is doing legal research for solos and small firms at $50/hour. Is this even feasible or sustainable? Or would it be easier to try to sign on for a percentage of the recovery?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Holland Oats posted:

Do you have any other tips? We're not allowed to do anything with footnotes other than citations.
Bluebooking citations include explanatory parentheticals. :colbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

Bluebooking citations include explanatory parentheticals. :colbert:

His writing competition has its own citation format so there's no bluebooking part.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CaptainScraps posted:

However, an attorney or two has noted that they do have legal research work from time-to-time and I know that there's a young attorney at a very large firm that bills out legal research under the table $100/hour.
Holy poo poo. What an idiot. Only a matter of time before he gets fired - he could easily end up getting disbarred. If he is a friend of yours, tell him to stop. Have him look at your state disciplinary board decisions and search them for "moonlighting." If the worst that happens from this is he gets fired, he should count himself as lucky.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

has anyone figured out how to speed up barbri videos good god this is terrible

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

gvibes posted:

Holy poo poo. What an idiot. Only a matter of time before he gets fired - he could easily end up getting disbarred. If he is a friend of yours, tell him to stop. Have him look at your state disciplinary board decisions and search them for "moonlighting." If the worst that happens from this is he gets fired, he should count himself as lucky.

Not a friend of mine, just something that came up in a messy, messy case.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

evilweasel posted:

His writing competition has its own citation format so there's no bluebooking part.

W--what? That seems dumb and counterintuitive.

Just got all my writing comp. materials - holy loly, this is weird (and unlike every other write-on I've heard of), because we're tasked with choosing between two articles for publication and justifying our choice. Of course, we only have 2000 words to do it and lose points for missing argumentative points in summarizing. 90 1Ls enter, 45-50 leave...

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Ugh. I've been trying to get a new legal mal job and while I've made a lot of contacts, none of them have enough work to justify hiring someone full-time.

If none of them can justify hiring someone full-time, why not just take their overflow work? It's got to better than research.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

Mr Gentleman posted:

Yes.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

quotison posted:

Yes.

sadly that doesn't seem to work this year (I think a poster mentioned they changed the video format)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah it's Flash video now, not ASF or whatever format it used to be

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Warszawa posted:

W--what? That seems dumb and counterintuitive.

It's why Columbia rocks, even our law review thinks bluebooking is the stupidest thing ever. The point is to remove it from the competition entirely.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

evilweasel posted:

It's why Columbia rocks, even our law review thinks bluebooking is the stupidest thing ever.
Columbia Law Review co-authors the loving Bluebook

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr Gentleman posted:

there's a program out there called Myspeed that can accelerate flash videos, but because of the way BarBri streams them no matter how long you let the video load it'll start buffering after like 3-4 minutes of playback at 1.6x. Then you have to let the video load a little ahead for a minute or whatever and get back to it.

I can't decide if this is better or worse than just watching them at normal speed. gently caress barbri for switching to Flash over WMP

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Linguica posted:

So?

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

quepasa18 posted:

Oh god, I've been spending today on the editing portion, and just trying to get a first pass done (ignoring the cites and bluebooking), and this is heinous. If I ever met anyone who wrote like this, I'd strongly suggest they drop out of law school. poo poo, I never realized how many rules of punctuation, spelling, and capitalization I didn't know.

It's melting my brain. And I haven't even looked at the footnotes yet.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Rumor around the office is that one of the judges (whose name I am withholding) accidentally signed a divorce decree when he shouldn't have, and the couple called up and the wife was worried they were living in sin because the rapture is tomorrow.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 21, 2011

Damn Phantom
Nov 20, 2005
ZERG LERKER

Lilosh posted:

Oh god, I've been spending today on the editing portion, and just trying to get a first pass done (ignoring the cites and bluebooking), and this is heinous. If I ever met anyone who wrote like this, I'd strongly suggest they drop out of law school. poo poo, I never realized how many rules of punctuation, spelling, and capitalization I didn't know.

It's melting my brain. And I haven't even looked at the footnotes yet.

I know how you feel. I started out with trying to make the leanest, most elegant changes possible because we're supposed to be "editing" rather than rewriting stuff from the ground. Towards the end, there was one paragraph where I just drew a big square around the whole thing and wrote a completely new paragraph in the margin. It was like the abyss. I could feel that horrendous paragraph peering back into my own soul the longer I kept looking at it.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Linguica posted:

Also it's mostly Harvard that does that. In fact, they're trying to take it over completely because (nobody knows).

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Just getting home from the office at 3 am on a Friday night/Saturday morning. I think the worst part is that the head partner was right there with me. It makes me depressed that even when you hit what most people consider the top, it's still going to be hell.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

HooKars posted:

Just getting home from the office at 3 am on a Friday night/Saturday morning. I think the worst part is that the head partner was right there with me. It makes me depressed that even when you hit what most people consider the top, it's still going to be hell.

Plugging small firm life here. First beautiful day of spring yesterday. Just didn't go to work. Forwarded my office phone to my cell phone, had an associate cover a pretrial, goofed around outside all day, picked up the kids from school/daycare, took them to babysitter, went out drinking with lawfriends, capped off with massive feast at Lebanese restaurant.

Small firm life - half the money, fifteen times the quality of life.

(But now I am up at 5:30 on a Saturday to make up the time)

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
French lawyer here.

Im finishing lawyer school. Had to complete two major internships (2x6 months) this year. I will be a lawyer in september.

My first internship was in a bigass french company, I was working in the tax law department. Its pretty much the same work as in a lawfirm except you have only one client. The team is 90% made of ex-lawyers.

It was from july to december 2010: I loved it. Very nice team, mostly people who love what they do and do it well, very interesting work, pretty big team (15 people), low stress, 9am 7pm.

My second internship is ending (untl june 2011). Its in the best lawfirm specialized in tax in Paris. The team Im working with is pretty nice, the work is meh, quite interesting but not as much as my previous internship(intern in a lawfirm = poo poo jobs).

Last week ive been called by the bigass company for a job. Im very happy. I'll be able to see my kid, be home early, the pay is decent, the job and the team are great.

However, that call was a surprise, I've been working like a madman aiming to get an offer at the end of my internship in the lawfirm and I'm pretty sure im going to get one.

I dont quite know what to do. The lawfirm is not hell, its very diferent from other lawfirms in paris where the workload is unbearable (14 hours days). I work 9am 8:30 pm it would be the same if im hired... and the pay is really huge. The average annual raise is 15-20%, people there generally double their salary every 5 years.

Right now I dont really need a bigass salary, I'd be really happy with the company salary, but I dont know if I wont regret it in 5 years.

Has any of you experienced taking a more laid back job, but which pays less ? Do you have any regret (friends earning 3 times your salary, bigger family and your salary is now not enough, etc) ?

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 21, 2011

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Solomon Grundy posted:

(But now I am up at 5:30 on a Saturday to make up the time)

This right here. I've never considered "quality of life" to be, "Still work 60-70 hour weeks, just pick when to work the hours."

A lot of people do think that's quality of life though. Admittedly, it's better than "work 60-70 hour weeks, but don't pick when to work the hours." But not much, in my opinion.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Macnigore posted:

Has any of you experienced taking a more laid back job, but which pays less ? Do you have any regret (friends earning 3 times your salary, bigger family and your salary is now not enough, etc) ?

I've had the opportunity to jump from small firm to big firms and have not done it. As a result, I have had instances of money dissatisfaction, but in the big picture, I have never regretted any decision that allowed me more time to spend with my family.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
qwertyman, J.D. And just before the rapture was supposed to start. I was looking forward to ending it on a relatively high note too!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

qwertyman posted:

qwertyman, J.D. And just before the rapture was supposed to start. I was looking forward to ending it on a relatively high note too!

No no no, it's Dr. quertyman, we're getting that title back.

Gary Peeples
Oct 12, 2005
Motions for reconsideration, ugh.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Gary Peeples posted:

Motions for reconsideration, ugh.

Writing or deciding?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Macnigore posted:

French lawyer here.

Im finishing lawyer school. Had to complete two major internships (2x6 months) this year. I will be a lawyer in september.

My first internship was in a bigass french company, I was working in the tax law department. Its pretty much the same work as in a lawfirm except you have only one client. The team is 90% made of ex-lawyers.

It was from july to december 2010: I loved it. Very nice team, mostly people who love what they do and do it well, very interesting work, pretty big team (15 people), low stress, 9am 7pm.

My second internship is ending (untl june 2011). Its in the best lawfirm specialized in tax in Paris. The team Im working with is pretty nice, the work is meh, quite interesting but not as much as my previous internship(intern in a lawfirm = poo poo jobs).

Last week ive been called by the bigass company for a job. Im very happy. I'll be able to see my kid, be home early, the pay is decent, the job and the team are great.

However, that call was a surprise, I've been working like a madman aiming to get an offer at the end of my internship in the lawfirm and I'm pretty sure im going to get one.

I dont quite know what to do. The lawfirm is not hell, its very diferent from other lawfirms in paris where the workload is unbearable (14 hours days). I work 9am 8:30 pm it would be the same if im hired... and the pay is really huge. The average annual raise is 15-20%, people there generally double their salary every 5 years.

Right now I dont really need a bigass salary, I'd be really happy with the company salary, but I dont know if I wont regret it in 5 years.

Money isn't everything. Work somewhere that makes you want to go to the office.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Macnigore posted:

About 9 years ago, I was working at a medium sized firm doing work that I hated. I took a 30% pay cut to do work that I loved. I have no regrets. About 4 years ago I switched to a more laid back job in the same office that included a raise in pay. The raise made it possible for me to remain working there, because at the time the salary was not enough.
We live simply, and we're happy.
I have attorney friends who make much more than I do, and some in Washington, DC and New York who make much, much more than I do. I would not trade jobs with any of them. (Except maybe the one who is a judge in Duluth)
Your children will only grow up once; don't miss it.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

joat mon posted:

Your children will only grow up once; don't miss it.

Don't they teach you in orientation that that's what grandkids are for? Pretty basic stuff.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

billion dollar bitch posted:

Money isn't everything. Work somewhere that makes you want to go to the office.

Today is Sunday. I got home from work at 5:30 a.m. this morning. I was headed back to work at 9:45 a.m. It is midnight now. I am home. My bonus is that I get to sleep in tomorrow.

I like my job; it's interesting work, and makes me want to go to the office. The hours still blow sometimes and make me question it all.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Holland Oats posted:

Don't make any spelling or grammar errors, and make it obvious you actually read the materials you were given. In my experience both when I was writing on myself and grading the write-ons, everyone thinks their submissions suck, and the reality is that most do. Even the ones that make it aren't spectacular. But the thing is, as editors, we were looking for people who we thought would put the effort in and generate a half decent product. If your work is sloppy or shows lack of proofreading, you were out. No one expects a perfect product. That's what the editors are for once you get into the real thing later.

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
So is it really true that not having a law job for a year or two after graduation makes it incredibly difficult to get a law job in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Forever Zero posted:

So is it really true that not having a law job for a year or two after graduation makes it incredibly difficult to get a law job in the future?

Yes, but not as bad as it used to be.

I recently spoke with two partners at large firms, and I asked them several questions about this topic. I specifically asked:

"How does it look if a young attorney takes a non-legal job while looking for permanent legal employment? Does it suggest that the attorney isn't fully committed to law or is it ok?"

"Does it look bad if a young attorney takes some doc review work while trying to find legal employment? Specifically, we used to hear that doc review looks really bad on a resume."

Both partners acknowledged that in the past, if you did either of these things, it would make it much harder to find work in a law firm, especially a mid-sized or big firm. But! Both partners also said that in today's employment environment, they would like to see that the applicant has been doing something, because it shows that the applicant hasn't just been sitting around. In this environment, doing something is better than nothing, and partners know that it's an extremely tight market right now, so they are more willing to give young people some slack. This is in contrast to the attitudes that were more prevalent prior to the 2008-2009 economy crash.