Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Baton no, but knives and swords yes.

Snickt goes the spinal cord.

I suppose jamming a sword into someone's rear end would be an effective takedown.

Edit: :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Grand Fromage posted:

SS2's the only game that's been able to maintain that "oh poo poo I have two bullets and there's a robot around the corner" level of pants-making GBS threads all the way to the end, except that one part that sucked. You know what I'm talking about.
Do we know what you're talking about?

Nah.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Iggles posted:

Nah.

I imagine he's talking about the CARGO LEVEL. The second level of the game which takes place in a CARGO BAY. The location of which CONTAINS NO SPOILERS WHATSOEVER. No spoilers in the BORING CARGO BAY LEVEL.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
The cargo bay was awful. At that point you have poo poo guns and ammo and those human being drones keep exploding in your face when you turn a corner.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Iggles posted:

Nah.

I assume he means the Body of the Many.

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Cray posted:

This is what I was assuming. It's as bad for SS2 as Xen was for HL. Never has so great a game so thoroughly lost me as SS2 does at that point.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sam. posted:

I picked up Fallout 2 from a used book store last week, and it actually seems quite good. The interface definitely isn't as good as newer games, but the gameplay is still good. Can't think of that many more recent games with such a huge and open world. And the combat system is nice because it's brutal. Instead of being like a FPS protagonist that can roll through an entire army on his own, you actually have some fights you can't win until you get a larger party, better weapons, and/or better skills.

Yeah, the Fallout games rule. From what you say you like about it, I think you might want to try Arcanum also (it's on GoG.com, DRM-free and for cheap).

Then lets go to the RPG thread and chat about how great they are, because people there won't shut up about their "final fantasies" and and their "eeses", dad-gum :corsair:

e: VVV Yeah, but they're talking about the new ones, which are terrible, like all new things.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 20, 2011

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Final Fantasy has been around for longer than most western RPGs :confused:

Dr_Fever posted:

as bad for SS2 as Xen was for HL

Excuse me, what part of the Xen world was anything but awesome? :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I thought the quality level really went downhill after leaving the Von Braun - it just seemed to get way more generic and linear after that point. I could be misremembering but wasn't there also a church in a ventilation shaft somewhere?

jcp982
Apr 5, 2011
I played Deus Ex a few times in high school when it first came out. I haven't played it since, but it still remains one of my favorite games of all time. Is there any way you can play this game on an imac? I haven't owned a PC in years, but I would love to play this game again before the new one comes out.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Cray posted:

I'll try again.

Nahhh

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

jcp982 posted:

I played Deus Ex a few times in high school when it first came out. I haven't played it since, but it still remains one of my favorite games of all time. Is there any way you can play this game on an imac? I haven't owned a PC in years, but I would love to play this game again before the new one comes out.

Sure, just use Bootcamp, like with almost every other game.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Convex posted:

I thought the quality level really went downhill after leaving the Von Braun - it just seemed to get way more generic and linear after that point. I could be misremembering but wasn't there also a church in a ventilation shaft somewhere?

The final levels were probably very rushed considering how linear they are compared to the rest of the game. Plus there was apparently some frantic copy-pasting going on: from a certain point onwards nanites only come in stacks of 24. But the chapel bit was pretty cool since due to gravity fuckups the cross was upside down.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Revener posted:

Final Fantasy has been around for longer than most western RPGs :confused:

Ultima is 7 years older (and don't say it's dead, UO is still going. That dead horse is still being kicked). I know that isn't evidence to say that all western RPGs are older than JRPGs but it shows that Garriot got in early.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

jcp982 posted:

Use Wine.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Pebbler posted:

The cargo bay was awful. At that point you have poo poo guns and ammo and those human being drones keep exploding in your face when you turn a corner.

The engineering deck freaking owned you never knew if that loud whirring sound was just the bay doors was just some random circuitry frazzing out or a mutant charging at you or a friendly protocol droid. Pacing!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Grand Fromage posted:

If you riot prod in the rear end it's an instant takedown like it is in the back of the neck. I assume the baton works the same way, but I never use it.

I play the game non-lethally and I live and die by the baton. Well, Paul's Blackjack. That thing smashes down some doors, it's pretty awesome.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, the Cargo Pits sucked from a "I don't want to die" perspective but were fantastic atmospherically. The low point of SS2 is probably either the Body of the Many, the UNN Rickenbacker, or the final boss, depending on personal taste, but the Cargo Pits were loving awesome.

I can't help you if you keep hiding from me, sir.
There you are!
:supaburn:

SS2 is still, by a long shot, the scariest game I've played.

CAPTAIN poo poo posted:

Shodan is cartoonishly evil. "Look at you insect, panting and sweating as your run through my corridors." The Many had a cool motivation which may not be as cartoonish but it's still not very nuanced - join or die.

SHODAN herself can be pretty cartoonish at times, but she is a more interesting character than just "the bad guy", and motivations more complex than "I'm going to do evil things because it says 'the bad guy' next to my entry in the dramatis personae" - neither of which is necessarily the case for a lot of video game antagonists, sadly.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, the Cargo Pits sucked from a "I don't want to die" perspective but were fantastic atmospherically. The low point of SS2 is probably either the Body of the Many, the UNN Rickenbacker, or the final boss, depending on personal taste, but the Cargo Pits were loving awesome.

Yeah sucked in the sense that "Holy poo poo im going to die im totally hosed." I also wished the fleshed out the research and chemical things more.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I play the game non-lethally and I live and die by the baton. Well, Paul's Blackjack. That thing smashes down some doors, it's pretty awesome.

The baton is an item i've universally ignored in playing Deus Ex. Are you saying there is one in paul's apartment or something that is stronger than most others?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So what's the hivemind opinion on Deus Ex 3? Besides the stupid preorder bonuses, are they going to make a decent successor or ruin DX again?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

TheMostFrench posted:

The baton is an item i've universally ignored in playing Deus Ex. Are you saying there is one in paul's apartment or something that is stronger than most others?

In the Shifter mod, there is a selection of unique weapons hidden throughout the game that are either more powerful or different from their normal counterparts. If you play up until Hell's Kitchen non-lethally, then Paul will leave you the Blackjack, a baton with a drastically increased base damage.

The base baton is far from useless, though. You just have to hit the sweet spot.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I always ignored the baton for the crowbar because it took an extra swing to smash through a crate.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm using the steam version + Shifter and the Deus Ex "Fixer" posted in the OP.

And, well, I can't get on the boat, you know the one. Any ideas?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dr_Amazing posted:

I always ignored the baton for the crowbar because it took an extra swing to smash through a crate.

Bad idea. The crowbar takes up an extra space that is needed for my candybars.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Phobophilia posted:

Bad idea. The crowbar takes up an extra space that is needed for my candybars.

Add it up that's like an extra hour over the whole game just on smashing crates. Not worth it.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

When you get trained up a bit in melee your baton can break crates in one hit

Feels good man

Goby
May 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So what's the hivemind opinion on Deus Ex 3? Besides the stupid preorder bonuses, are they going to make a decent successor or ruin DX again?

In game ads! From 2011. :doh:

I mean they could work if they were futuristic ads. That being said I'm still cautiously optimistic reading some previews.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

ToxicFrog posted:

SS2 is still, by a long shot, the scariest game I've played.

Same here. Playing as a psychic for my first run through and tossing away the wrench immediately didn't help. The clanking of the midwives was nerve racking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Goby posted:

I mean they could work if they were futuristic ads. That being said I'm still cautiously optimistic reading some previews.

If they had ads for present day products but made them futuristic (and funny) I think it would work, and I personally wouldn't mind them at all.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
The only time I used the baton in DX was during the escape from the UNATCO MJ12 base. It's handy for knocking the guard in the cell block room out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Goby posted:

In game ads! From 2011. :doh:

Are the ads fixed and unchanging, or do they get regularly updates from a central server? If the latter, I forsee future compatibility issues.

e: Actually, never mind. It'd be unbelievably stupid to not have a robust failure mode for connection problems, so I assume they will.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 22, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: Actually, never mind. It'd be unbelievably stupid to not have a robust failure mode for connection problems, so I assume they will.

You'd hope so (however, cf Assassin's Creed 2)

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If they had ads for present day products but made them futuristic (and funny) I think it would work, and I personally wouldn't mind them at all.

*imagines advert for the humancentipad*

That could work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Are the ads fixed and unchanging, or do they get regularly updates from a central server? If the latter, I forsee future compatibility issues.

After Invisible War you simply can't say "it'd be unbelievably stupid to..." and not believe that the devs are capable of it.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Currently playing through this for the 10th time. It's one of those games that simply doesn't get old. One problem though, I'm using the launcher provided in the OP in 1920x1200 but subtitles are getting cut in half in the bottom if they're 2 lines long or more. Is there a fix for this?

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've got a boner for DX3, Adam Jensen and JJB. The previews that I've read sound awesome. (Specifically, RPS and PCgamer's previews, especially PCgamers's Diary of a Psychopath playthrough) Sure, there's a couple of weird elements that I'm curious on how they will play out: the cover system, no melee weapons, in-game ads being the biggest ones. But the previewers mention that it FEELS like Deus Ex. Sounds good to me!

Pope Guilty posted:

After Invisible War you simply can't say "it'd be unbelievably stupid to..." and not believe that the devs are capable of it.
IW had a different developer in a different world that had some really unique obstacles to overcome. IonStorm had some major internal problems, iirc. The way Nixx is taking care of it makes me think the PC version/port is in very good hands.

Neosuki fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 24, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Neosuki posted:

I've got a boner for DX3, Adam Jensen and JJB. The previews that I've read sound awesome. (Specifically, RPS and PCgamer's previews, especially PCgamers's Diary of a Psychopath playthrough) Sure, there's a couple of weird elements that I'm curious on how they will play out: the cover system, no melee weapons, in-game ads being the biggest ones. But the previewers mention that it FEELS like Deus Ex. Sounds good to me!

Good to hear. I might hold off on the $50 preorder and pick it up on sale a few months later, though.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Posting this here and in the DX:HR thread:
GamersGate (digital distribution) is currently having a "Deus Ex Weekend: 75% of the original games ($2.50 each), 10% off Human Revolution (including Augmented version, same prices as Steam, no listed pre-order bonuses)". Really nothing to write home about, but thought I'd mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Has anyone played through the game without drawing a weapon or attacking any NPCs?