Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Sock on a Fish posted:

They often do pay income tax on stolen identities, which they then don't file income tax returns for.

Income tax and social security. That they will never see a return for. I've worked with illegals in more than one place and they would rather lose the money than draw attention to themselves. But in the context of that E-mail, they file returns. And if they do, good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Just got sent this, I don't even know where to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHQammdwGQ

"Finally! Its my turn! ...On the morality of being an evil capitalist..."

Person who sent it to me is a die-hard libertarian who thinks all forms of taxes/government institutions/social programs are theft - borderline anarchist. It's like debating a child.

The ATLAS network. :laugh:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

He looks like a SNL sketch personality.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

repLOLican posted:

Person who sent it to me is a die-hard libertarian who thinks all forms of taxes/government institutions/social programs are theft - borderline anarchist. It's like debating a child.

I watched up until he pulled out Ayn Rand as a big point.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

repLOLican posted:

Using Hank Rearden as a talking point? Really?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Also he makes the point that if people bought Microsoft products, then they must have decided they were worth it. Of course, most people don't actually have a meaningful choice about whether or not to buy Windows - it comes on their computer by default. They could buy a Mac, but those are much more expensive.

Basically, almost no one actually asks themselves "Hmm, should I get Windows?"

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Shouldn't these people be lauding the fact that the rich are giving their money away without the government making them? I am no spin expert, but to say, "See, without government interference the rich would make the choice to give back," sounds better than the, "gently caress you, I want what's mine," attitude.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

York_M_Chan posted:

Shouldn't these people be lauding the fact that the rich are giving their money away without the government making them? I am no spin expert, but to say, "See, without government interference the rich would make the choice to give back," sounds better than the, "gently caress you, I want what's mine," attitude.

No, because they are giving money back to people who, in their eyes, have done nothing to deserve it. What they're "supposed" to be doing is hiring poor people and paying them a fair (low) wage for the work. Giving things away in a capitalist society is inefficient and thus undesirable.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

York_M_Chan posted:

Shouldn't these people be lauding the fact that the rich are giving their money away without the government making them? I am no spin expert, but to say, "See, without government interference the rich would make the choice to give back be generous," sounds better than the, "gently caress you, I want what's mine," attitude.
He's not giving anything back if he didn't take anything in the first place! :downs:

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

the posted:

Whenever anyone complains about how good Illegal Aliens have it, I just ask them if they think it's such a sweet deal, they should give up their citizenship and work construction jobs as well.
According to the CBO, illegal aliens are a net (though modest) drain on state resources, so while the hyperbole is misplaced, it is a problem.

Edit: Factcheck has a pretty good discussion on it. Although the crazy forwarded email position is overblown, there are definitely costs:

"CIS estimated that welfare payments to illegal immigrant households averaged $1,040 per household in 2001, mainly Medicaid "on behalf of their U.S.-born children" - opponents to immigration would argue that these children should not have been born in the US, calling them anchor babies. Have to get around that pesky Constitution I suppose.

"The $2.5 billion figure for Medicaid to such households is quoted accurately, but again, much of this was in benefits for U.S.-born children, who are citizens" - of course implying that some of it was not to US-born children.

"The Bureau of Prisons does track prisoners by offense when information is available. By that metric, 10.7 percent of prisoners in federal jails were incarcerated for immigration offenses in 2009. In 2006, when Romans gave her report, the figure was 10.2 percent." - So we spend a lot imprisoning illegals for being illegal. Still, money spent.

etc.

Interlude fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 18, 2011

poopchair2000
Oct 20, 2007
Just got this one from dear ol' dad...

quote:

You just gotta love and respect Texas women.

TRUE STORY FROM... "THE HOUSTON HERALD NEWSPAPER" IN HOUSTON , TEXAS

Last Thursday Night Around Midnight, A Woman From Houston , Texas Was Arrested, Jailed, And Charged With
Manslaughter For Shooting A Man 6 Times In The Back As He Was Running Away With Her Purse. ~

The Following Monday Morning, The Woman Was Called In Front Of the arraignment Judge, Sworn In, And asked to explain her actions. The woman replied, "I was standing at the corner bus stop for about 15 minutes, waiting for the bus to take me home after work. I am a waitress at a local cafe. I was there alone, so I had my right hand on my pistol, that was in my purse, that was hung over my left shoulder. All of a sudden I was being spun around hard to my left. As I caught my balance, I saw a man running away from me with my purse.. I looked down at my right hand and I saw that my fingers were wrapped tightly around my pistol. The next thing I remember is saying out loud, "No Way Punk! You're not stealing my pay check and tips." I raised my right hand, pointed my pistol at the man running away from me with my purse, and squeezed the trigger of my pistol 6 times!

~ When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you shoot the man 6 times? ~

The woman replied under oath, "Because, When I pulled the trigger the 7th time, It only went click." ~

The woman was acquitted of all charges. She was back at work at the cafe the next day!

Now that's Gun Control....
Texas Style

AMEN

Woman kills man for petty theft, is a hero.

Damnit, my dad is such a cool guy outside of his politics, why does he have to send me poo poo like this? And there's no changing him, I've tried. He's way too stubborn. I guess I just have to go back to being passive aggressive at family dinners :(

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
All I can think of with that story is how easily it could go from "woman heroically shoots purse snatcher" to "Crazed woman guns down courier after being struck by careless bicyclist. Bystanders report she yelled 'No Way Punk!' before shooting 6 times"

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've never understood how easily people put the value of property above that of human life. Even on big stuff, I love my car, but I'm not going to shoot a guy over it.

My cousin took a course to get his concealed carry permit and related to me how surprised he was to learn that you can't shoot a guy who's walking off with your TV.
:psyduck:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's because people are children that have seen too many action films

This is the answer to most terrible things

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
"I yelled NO WAY PUNK and then I put on my totally awesome sunglasses. I said "Hasta la vista, BURGLAR", and then emptied the clip of my M-16 (which I carry in my purse and hold with my right hand) while the Blue Angels flew overhead. Every shot went directly into the man's testicles. He was black."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This thread is running in circles. We've posted so much that now it's just a cycle of *posts crazy thing that was posted 50 pages ago* followed by *mocking scenarios mocking the crazy thing that was posted 50 pages ago that were pretty much also posted 50 pages ago*

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm tired of these types of messages on Facebook:

quote:

My curfew was lightning bugs, mom didn't call my cell, she yelled my name, I played outside with friends, not online, If I didn't eat what my mom cooked then I didn't eat. Sanitizer didn't exist, but you COULD get your mouth washed out with soap. I rode a bike without a helmet, getting dirty was ok, and neighbors cared as much as your parents did. Re-post if you drank water from a garden hose and survived.

I've responded before, and the original poster never replied, but I got a ton of heat from the other people involved. After I tore them a new rear end in a top hat, they finally said that they were laughing at how I wrote. I left it at that. This time, answered with this:

quote:

I know this is supposed to be a statement about how times have changed, and how our children today don't experience the same things we did; but does it really matter? Our parents experienced things we can't imagine, and their parents experienced things we can't fathom, and their parents... It never ends. It is great to relive our childhoods, but to juxtapose it against today's children isn't really fair. Yes, we didn't wear helmets, and I think that I am not alone in saying that I had more than a few incidents that did not kill me. Was everyone else as lucky? Because really, that is all it was, separating those of us that survived from those of us that died. It was plain, stupid luck. I lost a few good friends my Senior year in a car accident, they weren't wearing seat belts and were killed. Hey, we didn't wear seat belts in 1991, cool, eh? This isn't a feel good composite of what was great about our childhoods, it is a banal attempt to somehow degrade and target the children of today, as well as their parents. I know that I'm a minority in this position, but I don't think that these types of messages serve much of a purpose. If it was uplifting, that would be one thing, but the purpose isn't to lift us up. The purpose of these types of messages is to drag us down, to lay blame, to cause strife between us. This type of message is identifying something good, while quietly blaming something bad. Is that really what we have become? You know why you could drink from the garden hose without dying? Because the EPA regulated the chemicals and poisons in the water that came though that hose. It wasn't because it was some magically better time.

I added more after some time to think:

quote:

And the cell phone... we have technology today that we couldn't imagine when we were children. Our culture has adapted to that technology, and our children are part of that culture. Are we blaming our kids because they use that technology, or blaming their parents because they use that technology to keep better tabs on their kids? Sure, cell phones can prove troublesome, but are we really ready to say that the troubles outweigh the benefits? Our culture is defined by our technology, and vice versa, should we toss it aside and strive to live in some Eden that never truly existed? We live in a high tech world, and so do our children. We are the ones that need to adapt to that idea, not them.

I can't take this poo poo anymore.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 19, 2011

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Pohl posted:

I can't take this poo poo anymore.

I used to drink water from my parents garden hose out front. I stopped when one time I opened wide, turned the spigot and out came a slug. You could say a little piece of me did die that day.

Also, I agree with your response, but I'd tread lightly with those "post if you agree" type things. That's a lot of words there for something someone probably didn't put much thought into posting. You may end up looking like the crazy one, and that could de-legitimize any future argument for more egregious bullshit.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

poopchair2000 posted:

...You just gotta love and respect Texas women...

Just don't give them our jobs or treat them equally in any way.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

poopchair2000 posted:

You just gotta love and respect Texas (white) women.

Well, as long as they don't dress like whores and then get raped, because it would be their own fault. And if she gets pregnant, well, she should have to have the baby. Also, small government!

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

poopchair2000 posted:

Damnit, my dad is such a cool guy outside of his politics, why does he have to send me poo poo like this? And there's no changing him, I've tried. He's way too stubborn. I guess I just have to go back to being passive aggressive at family dinners :(

Reminds me of Joe Horn. He's the guy who shot some people in the back that were stealing something and running away, but it wasn't even his stuff. Also in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLtKCC7z0yc

Grand jury opted not to indict.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sock on a Fish posted:

Reminds me of Joe Horn. He's the guy who shot some people in the back that were stealing something and running away, but it wasn't even his stuff. Also in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLtKCC7z0yc

Grand jury opted not to indict.

Horn was later honored as a hero by Glenn Beck at the alamo tea party rally

TheGrizzle
Jul 3, 2007
"No Way Punk! You're not stealing my livelihood." I lowered my right hand, pointed my coat hanger at the parasite infesting my womb, and jabbed at it 6 times!

~ When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you jab at the fetus 6 times? ~

The woman replied under oath, "Because, I wanted to be sure I didn't bear my rapist's child." ~

The woman was charged with infanticide. She was in prison the next day!

Now that's Birth Control....
Texas Style

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

TheGrizzle posted:

"No Way Punk! You're not stealing my livelihood." I lowered my right hand, pointed my coat hanger at the parasite infesting my womb, and jabbed at it 6 times!

~ When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you jab at the fetus 6 times? ~

The woman replied under oath, "Because, I wanted to be sure I didn't bear my rapist's child." ~

The woman was charged with infanticide. She was in prison the next day!

Now that's Birth Control....
Texas Style

A worthy 12th post in four years.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Pohl posted:

I'm tired of these types of messages on Facebook:

I've responded before, and the original poster never replied, but I got a ton of heat from the other people involved. After I tore them a new rear end in a top hat, they finally said that they were laughing at how I wrote. I left it at that.

Now, I haven't had the fortune of running into these all over facebook, but it seems to me you're overreacting a bit.

I just turned 30 so perhaps I'm now a crotchety old fart, but the only issues I can really find with that statement are the bike helmet and cellphone bits. Those two do happen to be what you mainly addressed, but you addressed them by attacking the entire paragraph. Change will always happen, but specific changes aren't inherently good any more than they're inherently bad.

Over-obsessiveness with hygiene may well be the reason for the explosion of allergies in the US. Kids DO need to get dirty. Also, the overuse of antibiotics is a huge danger to everyone, as antibiotic-resistant superbugs develop (and I don't just mean antibiotic soaps; I had a parent say to me - proudly - a few months ago that "Shelley wasn't sure she was feeling okay this morning and she has a recital later this week, so I had the doctor prescribe her some antibiotics!"). [To be honest though I'm more concerned about antibiotics used in farming.] There are small risks associated with this, but they are far outweighed by the benefits.

Playing on computers and consoles is great (like many goons I do plenty of gaming myself), but it is something that needs to properly moderated. Kids need lots more physical activity than they are getting (the same can be said for adults now too. And I am no exception). Part of reason is we seem to be getting more and more afraid to give our kids the freedom to just go out and explore/play in the neighborhood; this is actually somewhat paradoxical to me, given our improved ability to get in contact when necessary (cellphones). Fewer and fewer kids walk or bike to school (they're often driven even when it's just a few blocks!), and now sometimes we even get upset if little Izzy crosses the street by herself. Not only do our kids get fatter, they lose out on real-world experience and learning how to operate as independent people. There are small risks associated with this, but they are far outweighed by the benefits.

The helmet thing is stupid, as you pointed out, because riding helmetless is a risk with no benefits. There is a difference between cutting your kids off from the world in the name of safety, and taking reasonable precautions.

I could go on, but it's kind of off-topic for this thread. I'd just suggest that next time, you'll get a better response if you stick to pointing out the specific flaws rather than dismissing the whole thing (once you've dismissed the whole thing they only need to find one point on which you're wrong - or seem wrong - and in their minds they can dismiss your entire argument) or ranting about unrelated topics (the EPA? I mean, I get where you were coming from, in that the post was probably a conservative "good old days when we had FREEDOM" sort of thing, but that seemed nonetheless like a non-sequitur).

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

poopchair2000 posted:

And of course, it isn't true:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/click.asp

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

From The Onion: Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex

From The Crazies:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

On one hand I love that they took it as fact. On the other, I think this ulcer is going to kill me.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

From The Crazies:

Guarenteed every one of the women posting that story has had an abortion, but theirs was 'justified.'

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

From The Crazies:

Yet another instance of conservatives unable to identify satire.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

From The Crazies:

Change my name to "8 Billion Dollar Baby Holocaust" please.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Emron posted:

Change my name to "8 Billion Dollar Baby Holocaust" please.

That's going to be our stable, and our finisher is the Abortionplex.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Jesus, all one needs to do is look at the headline image to figure out it's a joke. It's a bunch of women going up a loving escalator. I wish I had more crazy FB friends. I so badly want to reply with some serious snark to everyone on that status image.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. "8 BILLION DOLLAR ABORTIONPLEX?!?! This has to be stopped!!!" Imagining this person's moral panic and furious typing is killing me. I loving love The Onion.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
If I were an eccentric multibillionaire business tycoon I'd build an $8 billion abortionplex just for the press.

In other news, Abortionplex is, for some reason, autocorrected to be capitalized on iOS devices.

Mister Bee
Apr 28, 2009

Hup hup, Mister Bee!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

From The Crazies:

Once again demonstrating the potential for an exciting avenue of debating the crazies, Appealing to The Onion. Just whip out a relevant Onion hit-piece on whatever you're arguing and watch them crumble.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Guys, don't worry. Jon Kyl just released a statement saying that the Onion Article was "not intended to be a factual statement."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Miss Fats posted:

Guys, don't worry. Jon Kyl just released a statement saying that the Onion Article was "not intended to be a factual statement."

And Newt Gingrich just announced that anyone who quotes him speaking the words he's currently saying on the subject of the Abortionplex is trying to smear him.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Did you break the news to those people that The Onion is a satire site? If so how did they react?

Any time I've pointed this out to a sucker, they still try and justify their post (ie. "Well, MY HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS shouldn't be used for stuff like this any way. :smug: ") instead of deleting it out of shame for their stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

From The Crazies:

:what: The first link from The Blaze even points out that this is satire, in the bloody summary.