Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sambo guy here. You probably won't find too many sambo McDojos, just because sambo has virtually no name recognition so someone looking to make a buck with subpar training most likely won't call their place a sambo gym.

Take a look here for a list of legit sambo gyms: http://www.ussambo.com/sambo_school_nat_asa_members.html

Sambo doesn't have any formal belt system. Well, we do, there's a red and a blue belt, but that's just so the referee and scorekeepers can tell you apart. :v: Individual schools might have their own ranking system to give students a sense of their progression, but most don't.

Sambo and Krav are really different. Obviously, sambo is a sport and Krav isn't, but even when you look at the combatives side -- remember, sambo was originally developed as a combatives curriculum for the Red Army, and adapted to sport later -- they are very different. Sambo focuses more on things like fundamentals of movement and defense and protecting vital areas of your body as you engage the person or escape. Krav is about counter-attack, disarming, fighting multiple attackers, and things like that. I personally prefer the sambo approach, since it's more practical for me and less focused on "well here's what you do in a situation where you're going to die 99% of the time". Also keep in mind that good Krav Maga instruction outside of the IDF is virtually nonexistent.

There is no martial art where the basics can be "grasped decently" in a short amount of time such that it would actually help you. It's all about internalizing the movements until they become second nature, tons of repetition, and lots and lots of sparring. The only way you can ever really become proficient at any concept or technique is to use it in sparring against a resisting opponent. That's why aikido doesn't work. Anything that claims to teach you actually useful self-defense skills in a few days or weeks and isn't called "how to buy running shoes that fit" is bullshit. Even if the techniques are sound, showing them to people who won't then practice them for a few months is just setting them up to get stabbed to death when they try to fight someone instead of run away.

Let me know if you have any other questions about sambo.

Awesome, I think I'd be more interested in Sambo after your description. I was off-base on what I imagined Krav Maga to be, I figured since they were both combative that they would be similar. I still wouldn't pass up on trying it if given the opportunity, but if legit instruction is really rare in the US I'll just pass on that for now until I can really distinguish the good stuff from the gimmicks.

I'm interested in Sambo for a couple different reasons I guess. The physical training aspect is definitely part of it, especially since I need to increase my endurance / work on cardio in addition to hitting the gym. I would love to compete at some level eventually, and I'm also just really interested in the history and learning the techniques behind the style.

Using it as self-defense is honestly probably my last concern, since 99% of the time I'd just run anyway and if I was that paranoid about being attacked I'd probably just go get a concealed carry license or something instead. If it helps me out someday cool, but that's not why I'd be doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just make a sports analogy. If you play basketball for two years and know the mechanics of how to do every type of shot, crossover, and pass, it doesn't mean you've gotten as good as you can get at them, be able to do them consistently in a game, or that you won't pick up new moves and get better as you continue to play.

Actually i said basically that after just blank facing him for like 30 seconds out of shock at how weird that question was. Also I, you know, enjoy doing it, so even if I was a some jiu-jitsu jesus that had a BB after 6 months, I would still show up every day.

People just make this weird distinction between martial arts, and sports or other hobbies. It's all that eastern mystique crap people have been fed from pop culture, combined with lovely martial artists covering their crappy skills with bullshit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

People just make this weird distinction between martial arts, and sports or other hobbies. It's all that eastern mystique crap people have been fed from pop culture, combined with lovely martial artists covering their crappy skills with bullshit.

The Seagal Legacy

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

mewse posted:

The Seagal Legacy

Uh excuse but have you seen Anderson Silva and Machida's last fights? Seagal is legit, ladies and gentlemen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't train. I've learned all of the vast secrets of my art. Prepare to die.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

mewse posted:

Finally a ninjitsu representative in the thread :shepface:

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

mewse posted:

Is that you, Ashida Kim?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Reis posted:

What's the consensus on Tony Cecchine? Is he legitimate or not? Don't know of any students of his that are known in the competitive MMA or Grappling world. I know he claims that he trained under Lou Thez, but then I remember how Matt Furey also claimed that Karl Gotch trained him until Karl Gotch himself went, "Bullshit he trained under me."

I seem to recall that of the two, Cecchine was considered the more legit one. Furey's claim of training under Gotch got disproven by a hand written letter from Gotch, AFAIR.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
After a 2 month lay off because I didn't feel like I was improving like I wanted to, I went back to class. After doing stand up and getting some nice shots in on the teacher going regular speed, and doing the same to his brother, I felt good. After doing MMA sparring, where I sweeped a college wrestler and arm triangled him while he was punching me in the face, I felt better. After doing a light grapple only roll with a guy who's new and has only been coming for a month and getting complimented on my great base (a first), I felt even better. When I got home I saw my lip is swollen and bleeding, I have a black eye, and my nose is bruised. I feel great.

I love this sport.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

henkman posted:

I love this sport.

Our Gay Sport.

I wish I knew what the appeal was, but I just can't quit it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

When I got home I saw my lip is swollen and bleeding, I have a black eye, and my nose is bruised. I feel great.

I love this sport.

Marks of honor.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone know anything about this gym? http://www.ultfitev.com/

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Started cross training into BJJ from Judo and JJ. Love it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

mewse posted:

Anyone know anything about this gym? http://www.ultfitev.com/

For those unfamiliar with this great fighting art: Muay Thai is known as "King of the Ring" in kick boxing circles. Techniques feature punches, kicks, elbows, knees, standing grappling and head-butts to wear down and knock out the opponent. Muay Thai has also proven very effective outside the ring and has been embraced enthusiastically by practitioners of a variety of self-defense, sporting, military and law enforcement activities. For self defense and overall fitness, few arts compare to Muay Thai! And . . . it's fun!

Does MT really have headbutts?! :staredog:

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I was having the same problem, and still am to a certain extent.

I don't have any sure fire escapes for you, but I did notice that the most useful thing I've done so far was to practice surviving while side controlled or mounted. Protecting my neck, keeping my elbows in, etc, means that I'm not on a 3 second countdown to being submitted, which gives me more time to work escapes.

From mount I like the same escape as you. I sometimes alternate bridging with a hip bump escape, so that they lean back to avoid getting bridged over, and then you can sit up and grab their arm. Of course, how much this works depends on how good they are.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

niethan posted:

no, i believe burmese boxing does which certainly makes sense in my worldview where the burmese are se-asia's comic book villains

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Smegmatron posted:

Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

I'm not really good from there either, but I really like to try to catch one of their legs to go back in half-guard when someone gets side control on me.

So, I either shrimp to get parallel to them so I can bridge and turn them over or I shrimp to get parallel to them and catch one of their legs with mine to go in half guard.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

niethan posted:

Muay Thai today is all about the ring and competition rules, but it has historical roots back to more NHB fighting. So, there might technically be headbutts in there, just like how there are throws and wristlocks floating around, but I don't think any MT fighters practice that stuff today.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
RE: side control/mount

When Im mounted, what works for me against most white belts is the bridge+roll. If Im rolling with more experienced people, I just try to survive and bide my time and wait for a more opportune time to bridge+roll or something else.

Side control, just shrimping out the best I can... I hate being stuck in side control. I try to create space by putting my forearm against their face/neck/throat and pushing away.

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."
Blood for the blood god.

Dominance competition tomorrow. Shoulder/neck is still busted, but I think chances of anyone there tomorrow reading this thread and recognizing me are slim. Should be fun, second somebody has a cross face, I'll need to tap. Haven't trained in 3 weeks and slightly drunk. Let's roll. :banjo:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I went to my first proper BJJ class run by a Gracie affiliated person, what can I do about my skin getting torn to shred, specifically my knees and toes.

I don't want to go back and be bleeding everywhere within seconds.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
You can wear kneepads, or just harden up and deal with it.

I went with the second option when I started out a month or so ago and it isn't much of a problem at all know. If it's more than just the surface of the skin being a bit raw though, probably go for the kneepads.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Adolfo Castro posted:

Blood for the blood god.

Dominance competition tomorrow. Shoulder/neck is still busted, but I think chances of anyone there tomorrow reading this thread and recognizing me are slim. Should be fun, second somebody has a cross face, I'll need to tap. Haven't trained in 3 weeks and slightly drunk. Let's roll. :banjo:
This post is so goddamn manly it made a beer crack itself open in my fridge. :yarr::hf::cheers:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

willie_dee posted:

what can I do about my skin getting torn to shred, specifically my knees and toes.

Tape it up for now, the skin will harden and get thicker pretty quickly.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

willie_dee posted:

I went to my first proper BJJ class run by a Gracie affiliated person, what can I do about my skin getting torn to shred, specifically my knees and toes.

Like everyone else said, it will harden itself eventually and you won't got matburn as bad anymore. However I'm a pussy and wear a knee cover on my right knee because that poo poo hurts.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

henkman posted:

Like everyone else said, it will harden itself eventually and you won't got matburn as bad anymore. However I'm a pussy and wear a knee cover on my right knee because that poo poo hurts.

Knee covers or knee pad are still a good idea. It takes a while for the skin of your knees to harden up so you won't have to live through the grossness and pain. Also, they help keep your knee warm so you don't injure them and that's definitely a good thing.

Toes on the other I'd just wait 'till they harden up. You could always tape them but unless they are actually injured I think this would be over the top.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Adolfo Castro posted:

Let's roll. :banjo:

Let's have at thee! Beat them the gently caress up! Oops, incorrect.

Please practice sport with your pals and friends until someone says someone wins.

Illegal Username posted:

This post is so goddamn manly it made a beer crack itself open in my fridge. :yarr::hf::cheers:

I drank a jallu to toast the post, which is more manly than self-cracking beers

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

You might want to have a look at this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?3F77YgmAoo0

Roy Harris, my instructor's instructor is an amazing dude and a badass. He's also very very technical to boot.

EDIT:

Some Roy Dean side escapes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?9S3nDygvk6A

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 20, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Smegmatron posted:

Two months ago I began judo and the newaza class is run by the high ranking students who cross train BJJ. Seconding Roy Dean's youtube vids in helping me with the positional escapes. Here's the full mount vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iB5nlIeZR8

I've lurked the A/T MA threads for a while now but now that I've started judo, I've decided to check in. I'm loving both the tachiwaza and newaza classes at my dojo so far. Thanks to all the judo players from the last thread that helped in convincing me to go out and try it. :)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Smegmatron posted:

Advice and videos will help but it sounds like you really just need more mat time to formulate a clearer picture of what is happening and what you can do.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

willie_dee posted:

I once met a man who rolled in something that was a bit like one of those clean room bunny suits. I have no idea what it was called, or how I'd find out, though. Apparently he had really sensitive skin, but really loved grappling. He must have, to wear that poo poo in the middle of a muggy Asian summer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManicParroT posted:

I once met a man who rolled in something that was a bit like one of those clean room bunny suits. I have no idea what it was called, or how I'd find out, though. Apparently he had really sensitive skin, but really loved grappling. He must have, to wear that poo poo in the middle of a muggy Asian summer.

I now want to go to a practice wearing a Green Man suit.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Adolfo Castro posted:

Blood for the blood god.

I didnt even know there was a dominance comp on lol we still need to have a roll !

I need a new business shirt or two for work but im probably gonna end up spending that money on a new gi and maybe a rashie haha

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Smegmatron posted:

Maybe the escape works, but you're doing it wrong? You could have all kinds of angles and stuff wrong. If you've been 'shown' a move, it doesn't mean you actually can pull it off. Even if you have drilled it twenty times it doesn't guarantee it will always work. But, I'm going out on a limb here, because I've been training every day for the past four years and I'm still improving my very basic side control escape. So, maybe you know the right thing, but you're not executing the move correctly. And unless you're a blackbelt, that's probably the case :)

Xguard86 posted:

Muay Thai today is all about the ring and competition rules, but it has historical roots back to more NHB fighting. So, there might technically be headbutts in there, just like how there are throws and wristlocks floating around, but I don't think any MT fighters practice that stuff today.

I got wristlocked standing by a kickboxer at Vos gym last week. Very embarrassing. It was with mma gloves and the guy can grapple, but it is primarily a Muay (Dutch) school. I've also seen others like gently caress around with it. They do do a lot of little sweeps and throws though. Very surprised as I wasn't prepared for them at all when they started hitting me up with them.

(Headbutts I don't know, but look at Bas Rutten's self defense tapes. He's all about a properly timed headbutt - i think he starts his dengadangadeng combination from it even. Maybe it used to be taught more extensively lol.)

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
Yey, I won by division.
Four person round robin, two by submission.

My mate doesn't know the meaning of the word "comp is over" apparently.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Congratulations! You should post fite vidjas.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Congrats!

I've been using a north-south choke out of side control a lot lately. A lot of the time I'll find an unguarded neck when I'm positioning to get a kimura or armbar.

Can someone post some trustworthy videos or give advice for this?

edit: \/\/\/ sweeeeet thanks

Angora fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 22, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Angora posted:

Congrats!

I've been using a north-south choke out of side control a lot lately. A lot of the time I'll find an unguarded neck when I'm positioning to get a kimura or armbar.

Can someone post some trustworthy videos or give advice for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFHJHC58qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcQtNN8jK10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
Yey, Ultra Sound was negative on tendon damage to the shoulder, CT scan showed a bulging disk which is probably causing the tingling in fingers and pain in shoulder.

So just a neck injury, who needs spines right?

• Locked thread