Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Wait, does Wi-Fi Calling even work on CM7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yes, wifi calling works on cm7. I used it today.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

quadratic posted:

Wait, does Wi-Fi Calling even work on CM7?

It sure does.

As for Wi-Fi Calling showing up there, Wi-Fi Calling will show up even if you don't really use it since it keeps Wi-Fi awake.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Can you guys point me in the right direction? I'd love to get Wi-Fi Calling back.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
ROM Manager seems to think I'm still using a Desire instead of a Inspire/Desire HD, I think because of files on the sd card. That is, it reports the recovery as being 2.5.0.7 (it's actually 3.0.0.6) and when i go to download a rom it downloads the Desire version instead of the proper DesireHD/Inspire version.

What do I need to do to get it to recognize the correct phone?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anyone got a solid fix for the Netflix app streaming video/audio way too fast on certain devices, like the Nook Color? I found a single guy on XDA talking about fixing it and he mentioned a netflix-mod-1.apk that apparently doesn't exist.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Vertigus posted:

Anyone got a solid fix for the Netflix app streaming video/audio way too fast on certain devices, like the Nook Color? I found a single guy on XDA talking about fixing it and he mentioned a netflix-mod-1.apk that apparently doesn't exist.

Maybe he meant mod-2?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

quadratic posted:

Maybe he meant mod-2?

Nah, he meant mod-1. I actually found a page with mod-1 through mod-5 but mod-1 didn't fix the problem. I'm really confused, since nobody in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1078123 seems to have the problem.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ok, I managed to get it working by downloading the virgin Netflix app and changing my build.prop. I don't know what the hell they did to the other .apks to get rid of the device check, but it obviously has some weird side effect.

Also, I learned that I can do adb over wi-fi. I was getting really frustrated trying to get adb to recognize my Nook over USB.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Running an Evo on CM7 7.0.0RC4. Any reason to go back to nightlies, or is this still solid?

And I seem to only be able to stay logged into facebook or twitter, one always signs out when i sign into the other. Just irritating. Anyone else have this?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Running an Evo on CM7 7.0.0RC4. Any reason to go back to nightlies, or is this still solid?

And I seem to only be able to stay logged into facebook or twitter, one always signs out when i sign into the other. Just irritating. Anyone else have this?
You should at least upgrade to the latest stable. There have been bug and security fixes since RC4.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Is anyone else using QuickDesk on CM7? Every time I reboot, all of the widgets show "problem loading widget"and it's getting real annoying having to re add them. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using CM7.0.3 on a Nexus One.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

The latest stable release is 7.0.3.1 and that's what you should be using if you don't want a nightly. That's what I'm using, holding out for 7.1 which will be built on 2.3.4 like the latest nightlies.

air- posted:

Is anyone else using QuickDesk on CM7? Every time I reboot, all of the widgets show "problem loading widget"and it's getting real annoying having to re add them. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using CM7.0.3 on a Nexus One.

You're not the only one, and it's not just QuickDesk. I had the same problem with WidgetLocker as well and that app's developer blames the Theme Chooser from CM7. Check his post about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11805537&postcount=879

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You're not the only one, and it's not just QuickDesk. I had the same problem with WidgetLocker as well and that app's developer blames the Theme Chooser from CM7. Check his post about it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11805537&postcount=879

Thanks. Just used TB to uninstall it and that did it! I can live without themes, no big loss for me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I tried searching google, xda, and I can't figure out why Netflix doesn't work on the latest CM nightly for the incredible. I can launch it, log in, but after a few seconds i get dumped back to the homescreen. It is still listed on my recent apps, but when I click on it, it takes me back to login.... rinse/repeat.

I've tried fixing permissions, rebooting, moving to sd card. Still can't get around it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Doctor Butts posted:

I tried searching google, xda, and I can't figure out why Netflix doesn't work on the latest CM nightly for the incredible. I can launch it, log in, but after a few seconds i get dumped back to the homescreen. It is still listed on my recent apps, but when I click on it, it takes me back to login.... rinse/repeat.

I've tried fixing permissions, rebooting, moving to sd card. Still can't get around it.

2 things you can do - install the hacked netflix apk, or change the build.prop to a supported device. Have you tried either of those?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
How stable and easy is rooting a nook color? I'm considering buying one for this purpose. Does anyone have any good articles or links for someone with little tablet experience about how it works? Would I be able to use any of the android market apps?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Doghouse posted:

How stable and easy is rooting a nook color? I'm considering buying one for this purpose. Does anyone have any good articles or links for someone with little tablet experience about how it works? Would I be able to use any of the android market apps?

Rooting is quite easy. I have mine rooted but no custom ROM yet. One of these days I'll get around to it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Doghouse posted:

I wouldn't even bother rooting it at first.

When you first get it, power it on and register it. Update it to the latest Barnes & Noble software even (1.2). The update installs a new boot loader that newer builds of CyanogenMod use.
Once you've updated it and registered it, make a bootable SD card and just wipe it. Unlike many other Android devices, there is no need to ever root the stock setup. Out of the box it will boot from the SD card slot, which then runs whatever you want.
If you root the stock system, you end up with the crippled B&N software - which is fine I guess if you just want to use the B&N Reader app.

The CyanogenMod Wiki has instructions for set up, and the XDA Forum has lots of fun crap to read through.

The Nook Color is a pretty decent tablet with CyanogenMod on it. Right now it's in a weird in-between phase. CyanogenMod 7.0.2/7.0.3 (and variations) are what you may mostly find for it, but there are multiple early 7.1 builds that improve a lot of stuff.

Right now I'm using an early 7.1 build ("beta 3.1") from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=960537

With this kernel:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Performance for many things is fine. I can play games without any performance issues.
However, just web browsing can be choppy for some reason.
But again, things are still pretty early with it. Development is sorta fast, with new CyanogenMod builds for it pretty much every night.

Overall, I'd rate it a 3/5 tablet. It's a well-built little device. One of the nicest designs around with a great screen (higher density than the iPad 2).

It's missing big things like a Microphone and a Camera, and also little things like a vibration motor and GPS. And of course the software is beta-quality. It's stable, but not everything is optimized yet. With some better software, it could easily be a 4/5 tablet (the missing Camera and Microphone will keep it from being perfect). Using custom ROMs is the way to go, though. The stock software was just too crummy for me to stand.

Regarding the Market, it runs pretty much everything out there (except for stuff that requires missing hardware like a Camera or is just poorly coded crap that expects a 320x240 screen). Even Netflix works great on it!

Robot Unicorn does not work on it. It seems to be hard-coded for a smaller screen. :argh:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Civil posted:

2 things you can do - install the hacked netflix apk, or change the build.prop to a supported device. Have you tried either of those?

Where are all the hacked Netflix APKs? I can't seem to find them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm on an OG Droid with CM7 (the last stable build). I've been having trouble with Google Navigation lately, where it will give me the "getting directions" message for about 5 minutes then the phone will automatically reboot. Any ideas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
ok, curiosity is getting to me and I want to try out Sense 3.0 on my Evo. What's the best ROM to do that with?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

fishmech posted:

Where are all the hacked Netflix APKs? I can't seem to find them.

Here you go.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

ok, curiosity is getting to me and I want to try out Sense 3.0 on my Evo. What's the best ROM to do that with?
This seems to be the most popular right now. I haven't tried it yet but apparently it leaves you with 100mb or less of space for apps since the new version of Sense is huge but if you decide to keep it for a while you can partition your SD card with the method from this thread for more space. (I think that ends up moving your data partition to the SD card, none of the "devs" on XDA provide enough information on what their instructions actually do.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

This seems to be the most popular right now. I haven't tried it yet but apparently it leaves you with 100mb or less of space for apps since the new version of Sense is huge but if you decide to keep it for a while you can partition your SD card with the method from this thread for more space. (I think that ends up moving your data partition to the SD card, none of the "devs" on XDA provide enough information on what their instructions actually do.)

Before I flash this it says that flashing the radio zip included in the ROM (could lose RSA keys). Not completely following that. I was just going to download the main zip, install with ROM Manager. Anything i am doing wrong here?

Met48
Mar 15, 2009
Ok, having some issues with clockwork recovery on my Nexus S I9020A (from Koodo), currently on stock 2.3.4. I'm finding that clockwork recovery stops working as soon as I boot the phone at all. As in, I can flash it either with fastboot or ROM Manager's menu option and reboot to it just fine. But, once I've booted normally, any following attempts to open recovery will get the android exclamation point.

Any reason why it might not be sticking? I followed these steps for rooting.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Metroid48 posted:

Ok, having some issues with clockwork recovery on my Nexus S I9020A (from Koodo), currently on stock 2.3.4. I'm finding that clockwork recovery stops working as soon as I boot the phone at all. As in, I can flash it either with fastboot or ROM Manager's menu option and reboot to it just fine. But, once I've booted normally, any following attempts to open recovery will get the android exclamation point.

Any reason why it might not be sticking? I followed these steps for rooting.

Because you're on a stock ROM. Stock ROMs reflash the stock recovery.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Before I flash this it says that flashing the radio zip included in the ROM (could lose RSA keys). Not completely following that. I was just going to download the main zip, install with ROM Manager. Anything i am doing wrong here?
I didn't think it included a radio, I hate XDA... I would backup the Wimax partition first just to be safe. ClockworkMod and Amon-Ra both have that ability now. That way, if something does happen to your keys, it's an easy fix. (Flash proper radio, restore Wimax partition, done.)

There's also a slightly newer version of the ROM on the guy's site but there's no changelog yet, just posts from people claiming it's "faster and smoother".

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm interested too. Could you post your progress and experiences in this thread?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am going to try to root my Thunderbolt, problem being that it appears doing so is sort of a pain in the rear end. I have absolutely no experience doing this, so I'm wondering if there are any nearly idiot-proof guides to doing it that would be helpful for a first-timer.

The OP doesn't list the Thunderbolt so I'm asking here, sorry if it's been discussed previously.

EDIT: My firmware version is 1.13.605.7, still running Froyo 2.2.1.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 22, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

I didn't think it included a radio, I hate XDA... I would backup the Wimax partition first just to be safe. ClockworkMod and Amon-Ra both have that ability now. That way, if something does happen to your keys, it's an easy fix. (Flash proper radio, restore Wimax partition, done.)

There's also a slightly newer version of the ROM on the guy's site but there's no changelog yet, just posts from people claiming it's "faster and smoother".

Ok, so basically just do a backup and check the WiMax button like back in the day. I can do that.

Likely doing this tonight or tomorrow, although it depends on if I actually get the free time I anticipate having.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so basically just do a backup and check the WiMax button like back in the day. I can do that.

Likely doing this tonight or tomorrow, although it depends on if I actually get the free time I anticipate having.
Pretty much. I don't expect anything will happen though because finally, on page 217 (at 40 posts per page) of the thread, I found out that the radio ZIP mentioned in the first post is extracted to your SD card when you install the ROM. So basically, don't flash that file. :downs:

Edit: Oh yeah, one other thing - if you have a Novatech screen you can't adjust the brightness, it was an issue in the leaked Gingerbread ROM as well. The Epson panels don't have any issues.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 22, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I turned on wifi and my phone started going into bootloops until I pulled the battery. Weird. (G2x with CM7 NB26)

volatile bowels
Sep 7, 2009

All-Star
I'm running cm7 on the nook. I've noticed in the Market that some apps have special functions for tablets. Is there a way I can edit build.prop so apps think this is a tablet?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

volatile bowels posted:

I'm running cm7 on the nook. I've noticed in the Market that some apps have special functions for tablets. Is there a way I can edit build.prop so apps think this is a tablet?

Most stuff labeled as having special functions for tablets only has those functions under Honeycomb, CM7, being a Gingerbread 2.3.x based ROM, wouldn't be able to use those tablet features.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So I'm looking at an upgrade from my HTC Desire soon.

I'm thinking either the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, the Samsung Galaxy S, or the HTC Desire S, which are the only viable upgrade options I can see from my provider, but I'm unsure of the rootability of these phones - I love CM7, and the additional features and battery life it provides, and I'd hate to have to lose features to upgrade my phone specs.

Any opinions?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Rohaq posted:

So I'm looking at an upgrade from my HTC Desire soon.

I'm thinking either the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, the Samsung Galaxy S, or the HTC Desire S, which are the only viable upgrade options I can see from my provider, but I'm unsure of the rootability of these phones - I love CM7, and the additional features and battery life it provides, and I'd hate to have to lose features to upgrade my phone specs.

Any opinions?

The Desire S is unlikely to be cracked anytime soon so it's out. I'd say that the Arc and Galaxy S are really sidegrades from the Desire. There's a slight speed bump but nothing warranting an upgrade.

The only phones that would be real upgrades from a Desire are dual-core phones. The Optimus 2X would be a great option since it's a dual-core phone with CM being worked on right now for it. The Galaxy S II also looks good, but only time will tell if it really is as good as it's said to be.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

The Desire S is unlikely to be cracked anytime soon so it's out. I'd say that the Arc and Galaxy S are really sidegrades from the Desire. There's a slight speed bump but nothing warranting an upgrade.

The only phones that would be real upgrades from a Desire are dual-core phones. The Optimus 2X would be a great option since it's a dual-core phone with CM being worked on right now for it. The Galaxy S II also looks good, but only time will tell if it really is as good as it's said to be.
Sadly my upgrade is due at the start of next month; I might just go for a lower monthly contract then. The Arc looks loving lovely, mind.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so flashing to the Virus ROM with my Evo didn't go well. I suggest reading everything carefully instead of being retarded like me.

I followed the procedures right the first time, EXCEPT I messed up step 10. I flashed right to the ROM instead of "First flash the PRI and hit reboot let it flash the 1.77 Pri this will make sure your phone sleeps."

The result was my phone would never get past the Evo 4G white screen. I eventually flashed back to CM7 (at least I finally updated!).

I know what the 1.77 is, but what am I missing that is the PRI? I am assuming my SD Card is still partitioned, so I should be able to just flash in the right order to get this working? Can anyone clarify the process of which 3 files to flash, and in what order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so flashing to the Virus ROM with my Evo didn't go well. I suggest reading everything carefully instead of being retarded like me.

I followed the procedures right the first time, EXCEPT I messed up step 10. I flashed right to the ROM instead of "First flash the PRI and hit reboot let it flash the 1.77 Pri this will make sure your phone sleeps."

The result was my phone would never get past the Evo 4G white screen. I eventually flashed back to CM7 (at least I finally updated!).

I know what the 1.77 is, but what am I missing that is the PRI? I am assuming my SD Card is still partitioned, so I should be able to just flash in the right order to get this working? Can anyone clarify the process of which 3 files to flash, and in what order?
Yeah, you should be able to just flash now. From my understanding, you need to flash the 1.77 PRI first, then reboot, then flash the ROM. If you're using B1.1.2, that should be it. On earlier releases there was a GFX_FIX.zip that the ROM's install script would extract to your SD card and then you would need to flash that, but from what I read, it's not required on the latest one.