Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

In a paste stuck to the foot of an AT-ST.

'E walks! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Crowetron posted:

'E walks! :haw:
You should be ashamed of yourself.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
So about that seventh movie...

e, bigger

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 18, 2011

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

:pwn: Millennium Falcon is hilarious

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Admiral Goodenough posted:

:worship: I would watch this in a heartbeat.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Please tell me there's a bigger version of this. Or maybe a T-shirt.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Crowetron posted:

How does an Ewok cross the road?

Do you know what an Ewok has in his ear?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

ZeeToo posted:

Do you know what an Ewok has in his ear?

Ewox.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

e, bigger

The Y-wing looks like a cranky old guy with a good heart. :3:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Are B-wings visible in any of the movies? I don't think I've ever seen one in motion.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Are B-wings visible in any of the movies? I don't think I've ever seen one in motion.

They're seen briefly in ROTJ among the ships jumping into hyperspace. The ship wasn't used much after that shot because it was hard to photograph well.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
You can also see one opening its S-foils as they're approaching the DS.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

They're the ones flashing by behind the X-wings here, right? For some reason I've always expected them to be spinning.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

They're the ones flashing by behind the X-wings here, right? For some reason I've always expected them to be spinning.

IIRC the body can rotate around the cockpit. It was never done in the video games though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, the body would rotate 90 degrees (counter) clockwise depending on whether or not you were opening or closing the s-foils.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Star Tours II Trailer

There's something off with the CG, i can't put my finger on what though.

Also that Akbar looks terrifying.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Joe Don Baker posted:

IIRC the body can rotate around the cockpit. It was never done in the video games though.

Wasn't it? I could swear that was how the S-foils worked in "Rogue Squadron".

Muppetjedi posted:

Star Tours II Trailer

What the gently caress? How can they gently caress up a rubber suit/puppet that badly?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Muppetjedi posted:

Star Tours II Trailer

Considering their usage in the films, I'm way more creeped out by the "romantic sand-person" joke at the end.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Muppetjedi posted:

Star Tours II Trailer

At least it looks like we'll finally get to go to Endor, as I was promised in my travel brochure.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Suenteus Po posted:

Wasn't it? I could swear that was how the S-foils worked in "Rogue Squadron".

I was wrong. As the dude after me said, the body rotates when the S-foils are opened/closed.

What I was thinking in my head though is that the body could rotate anytime. It could be a way to dodge poo poo (to make up for lack of maneuverability) or a way to aim lasers and poo poo without moving the relative position of the ship.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I was wrong. As the dude after me said, the body rotates when the S-foils are opened/closed.

What I was thinking in my head though is that the body could rotate anytime. It could be a way to dodge poo poo (to make up for lack of maneuverability) or a way to aim lasers and poo poo without moving the relative position of the ship.

That doesn't really make any sense.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I see what it does now. From Star Wars wiki:

The B-wing's command pod has a unique gyroscopic control system. The pilot can orient it so that it always stays level with a pre-designated horizon line. No matter which way the B-wing may maneuver laterally, its pilot remains upright.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Speaking of Star Tours, a friend of mine posted the original Star Tours video on Facebook, and while watching it a question occurred to me. This has probably been asked before, but I can't remember. Is Star Tours (the original, I haven't ridden the new one yet) canon? And if so...what Death Star is that?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

thrawn527 posted:

Speaking of Star Tours, a friend of mine posted the original Star Tours video on Facebook, and while watching it a question occurred to me. This has probably been asked before, but I can't remember. Is Star Tours (the original, I haven't ridden the new one yet) canon? And if so...what Death Star is that?

I haven't seen it asked, but it has been answered.

It's maybe an extra Death Star. Or it could be non-canon, but that's crazy talk. This is much more reasonable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ZeeToo posted:

It's maybe an extra Death Star. Or it could be non-canon, but that's crazy talk. This is much more reasonable.

I knew I wouldn't be the only person who had thought of that. Thanks!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

I see what it does now. From Star Wars wiki:

The B-wing's command pod has a unique gyroscopic control system. The pilot can orient it so that it always stays level with a pre-designated horizon line. No matter which way the B-wing may maneuver laterally, its pilot remains upright.

That's doesn't make any sense at all. In space, there's is no horizon to lock too, and if you are used to having full 3D control over your ship, to be locked into a fake horizon would be so disorienting.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Muppetjedi posted:

Star Tours II Trailer

Frankly, all the puppets look wrong, and Vader's voice is off as well. For an official Lucasfilm product, that commercial is pretty terrible all in all.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
But 50 different shows. It has re-ride value...

But who goes to Disney that much?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

ScottyJSno posted:

But 50 different shows. It has re-ride value...

But who goes to Disney that much?

From what I read, it's about six different locations or so, which will probably be randomized in some way so you get two or three locations per ride, but often in different order. That would easily account for over 50 variations. Chances are you'll see all the locations if you ride a few times.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Joe Don Baker posted:

Uh, in the B-wing expansion pack for the original X-Wing game on the PC, you could hold down the secondary button and spin the body completely around the cockpit. I think the ship orientation also affected turning. (as well as significantly altered the angle of attack of your ion cannon)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ZeeToo posted:

Every day I hate the concept of 'canon' more and more.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's doesn't make any sense at all. In space, there's is no horizon to lock too, and if you are used to having full 3D control over your ship, to be locked into a fake horizon would be so disorienting.

Aren't they bombers? Maybe it's to help them fly parallel to the hull of whatever they're bombing.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
The letter names of all the fighters seems so strained.
X-wing is fine, it has wings in an X pattern.
But B-wing doesn't look like a "B".
A-wing and Y-wing don't even have wings.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Flavor Bear posted:

The letter names of all the fighters seems so strained.
X-wing is fine, it has wings in an X pattern.
But B-wing doesn't look like a "B".
A-wing and Y-wing don't even have wings.

The open S-foils on the X-Wing make it roughly X-shaped.
A bird's eye view of the Y-Wing show it to be roughly Y-shaped, despite not having wings.

When designing new ships for ROTJ, they came up with two concepts for rebel fighters. They were originally just labeled "A Ship" and "B Ship". When it came to naming them, Lucasfilm just changed "Ship" to "Wing", presumably due to the A-Wing's resemblance to the letter A. The rationale for the B-Wing name was basically, "Umm, gently caress it; it's a B-Wing."

This naming convention would resurface again with ROTS, where a sketch of a fighter was labeled "Art 170". That ship went on to become the ARC-170 (i.e. the WWII-era X-Wing bomber thing).

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I would think seeing stars and ships twist in and out could be kind of distracting. Also from what I remember reading the cockpit can spin if needed to.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Doc Hawkins posted:

Every day I hate the concept of 'canon' more and more.

Aren't they bombers? Maybe it's to help them fly parallel to the hull of whatever they're bombing.

I went back and read the article they have on the battle at the end of Return of the Jedi, and hoo boy, there were all kinds of things going on there that didn't make it into the movie.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

NGL posted:

The open S-foils on the X-Wing make it roughly X-shaped.
A bird's eye view of the Y-Wing show it to be roughly Y-shaped, despite not having wings.

When designing new ships for ROTJ, they came up with two concepts for rebel fighters. They were originally just labeled "A Ship" and "B Ship". When it came to naming them, Lucasfilm just changed "Ship" to "Wing", presumably due to the A-Wing's resemblance to the letter A. The rationale for the B-Wing name was basically, "Umm, gently caress it; it's a B-Wing."
The original design for the B-wing matched with its name a bit more, what with having a cockpit on either end like the two lobes of a B. The current explanation is that the B is short for "blade," since the B-wing looks sort of vaguely like one.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The original design for the B-wing matched with its name a bit more, what with having a cockpit on either end like the two lobes of a B. The current explanation is that the B is short for "blade," since the B-wing looks sort of vaguely like one.

I can kinda see how it could be construed as a B. The "blade" explanation always struck me as a half-assed retcon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Goreld posted:

Uh, in the B-wing expansion pack for the original X-Wing game on the PC, you could hold down the secondary button and spin the body completely around the cockpit. I think the ship orientation also affected turning. (as well as significantly altered the angle of attack of your ion cannon)

Really? I've put a ton of hours into that game I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out asap.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

Really? I've put a ton of hours into that game I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out asap.

I remember that actually, it wasn't really useful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Space horizon is relative to the largest local body/ship.