Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

baka kaba posted:

Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7 G7 Am7 Bdim7

Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7 G7 Am7 Bdim7

Bm7b5, not Bdim7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CalvinDooglas posted:

Bm7b5, not Bdim7

Oops yeah, forgot about that. That'll teach me to stick 7s on the end of everything

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Falken posted:

Right, I'm in the market for a new guitar. I'm still pretty new but I do love the hell out of playing. Right now I have a Vintage V100 (Les Paul clone), and a Squier Stratocaster (got it off a friend for free, hate the poo poo out of it. I will never play this thing most likely).

I'm definetely a fan of the thicker neck that's on the V100, and I had a go of a Michael Kelly Patriot, and thought it was absolutely fantastic to play. Everything just felt spot on, and I was definitely more comfortable playing it than my V100.

Before I go and put the cash down on one, is there anything else I should look into that'd be up my street? A thicker neck is very important, and I didn't like the thinner neck on the Strat.

Tried an Epiphone-level SG? I dismissed SG's for years until I actually tried one; now I own a 310 and am planning on upgrading to a 400. In fact, I'd suggest the 400 without hesitation.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

meatcookie posted:

Tried an Epiphone-level SG? I dismissed SG's for years until I actually tried one; now I own a 310 and am planning on upgrading to a 400. In fact, I'd suggest the 400 without hesitation.

I’ve just replaced my Epi G400 with a Pacifica 112v, and it’s probably the best thing I’ve done, guitar wise. The neck on the G400 was suitably beefy and pretty comfortable, but the build quality was atrocious. On my old model the bridge pickup was ‘wobbly’ and cut out at random, the strings buzzed like crazy at the fifth fret, and the neck nosedived at every opportunity. Of course I may have just had a duff one, but I would definitely try one before you stump up the cash.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm

If you want SG quality at a really reduced price, how about a Malden Bulldozer?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm

If you want SG quality at a really reduced price, how about a Malden Bulldozer?

These seem like really good instruments. How do guitars like this and the Rondo/Agile/Xaviere etc. type guitars (which seem to be very sharply priced) compare to market standards of the same or higher price?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Generally? I rate any of them as ten times better than a cheap Squier. They're accurate when they say match them against (retails for) $400.
Rondos have worse hardware, Xavieres (with GFS pickups) have pickups good enough to replace Fender pickups with. But they are Chinese made, and sometimes the guy at the factory, uhm... may not have got things quite right. But any chinese guitar will do that. Thing is, with the Xaviere or Rondos, you don't feel as bad about taking 'em apart. Educational!

The Maldens are a level better than the Rondo/Xavieres. They're Korean, not Chinese.

This is my Subhuman. It's bound on the body, neck and headstock. The pickups in it retail for about $125 alone. It's extremely well made, and it is effing metal. There is no flaw in it. Except for being extremely effing metal. My two favorite bits on it, design wise, are the little notch at the tail designed for draping the cable over, and the extended horn so it isn't neck-heavy on the strap.

Malden's closing out their Made in Korea warehouse and moving to US production. They're on deep discount sale, this is not their normal price. Consider it twice as expensive a guitar as a Rondo or Xaviere. So, high-end Epi, rather than low-end Epi.

This, on the other hand, is the guitar I love. It's an Xaviere. It's got flaws. The routing is a little messy. I'm going to swap the bridge with a compensated ashtray instead. But holy _hell_ it rocks so hard.
Here's the Subhuman being reviewed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz-fuUDnj4

Here's a JT90 Telemaster being rocked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Buis3HmFc

Hey, someone finally recorded something with a Bulldozer on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LvA4xgU06Q

The question is, what do you want to play, and how hard? I'll help as I can, but it's really about finding a guitar that fits you.

The Telemaster just works for _me_.
Is a SG your desired guitar?
The Bulldozer is probably superior to the Xavier XV-300, but maybe it's not for you. (NB: Bulldozer and XV-300, Gibson scale, Subhuman, Fender scale.)
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-300-Double-Cutaway-Guitars_c_303.html

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 19, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

The Maldens are a level better than the Rondo/Xavieres. They're Korean, not Chinese.

Rondo's Agile line are all Korean made.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Good point, but the Maldens are still better guitars, just on deep discount. Is there an Agile SG? I didn't notice one.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

Good point, but the Maldens are still better guitars, just on deep discount. Is there an Agile SG? I didn't notice one.

The Valkyrie. I've never actually played or seen a Malden in person so I can't comment. I figure the more cheap, good guitars get made, the better off the world is.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
I ordered the Malden Utopia 3TS last night (thanks forums user warcabbit!). I love my agile, but I figured the price was too good to pass up. After all, I've still got one guitar stand that doesn't have a guitar on it. I'll let you guys know how it is once it arrives. Next I just need to buy a new amp to replace my garbage 15W Marshall practice amp.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, that'll be unique. (It's weird, all the custom guitars around, and so few of them are Strat-based. Strat copies, but not based.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDBKkjhVO4
Only recording on youtube of a Utopia. But it should do well.

Manky: Darn right there.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 20, 2011

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Manky posted:

The Valkyrie. I've never actually played or seen a Malden in person so I can't comment. I figure the more cheap, good guitars get made, the better off the world is.

Does anyone else think the Valkyrie is a nicer design than the original SG?

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
I was debating buying a MIM Strat before you posted to huge discount that Malden was giving. Really, I prefer the Jazzmaster body to the Strat body. Strats all just look too plain to me. It's pretty much the default shape when somebody thinks of a guitar.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Needs the strap button moved to the horn, but... I understand the whole 'double cutaway' thing, but everything else about the SG always struck me as a huge pain in the neck. Snapped necks, off balance guitar, and so on. I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying, it strikes me as too many tradeoffs for what you get.

Assberging: Yeah, I think you'll be pleased. And I agree about the Jazzmaster (see my Telemaster above.) Funny thing about the Strat being the default image of a electric is that it was a nigh-flop (so they say) before Jimi got his hands on it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 20, 2011

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Zakalwe posted:

Does anyone else think the Valkyrie is a nicer design than the original SG?

When you're used to the original SG, looking at the Valkyrie makes it seem like it has some kind of bulbous growth attached to it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Warcabbit posted:

Funny thing about the Strat being the default image of a electric is that it was a nigh-flop (so they say) before Jimi got his hands on it.

This isn't very true. The Stratocaster has always been a huge success for Fender and was considered to be the sound of a generation in the '50's. It became so ubiquitous with rock and roll that musicians (like the Beatles) actively avoided them. It is true that during the CBS ownership of Fender, Strats did face a decline in quality and sales, but it was never removed from production and never considered to be a flop.

Sorry for the 'spergin but I've been reading a lot on Fender's history so I felt the need to correct :).

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Les Paul didn't care for how the SG looked either and had Gibson take his name off of them because of it.

I like the symmetry of them better than the Valkyrie or the ESP Vipers that have the same sort of offset.

I never cared much for Strats either.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
But there's a reason for the offset bulge. Moves the mass back for better balance.

If it looks good, you like it more, you play it more, you rock harder. Feels good, man.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 20, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

There is way too much worry about how pretty your guitar looks in this thread.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Faffel posted:

An ugly guitar has to play really really nicely or be really really cheap for me to justify purchasing it. I know the cute musician thing to do is to be all "man it doesn't matter how it looks, its all about the MUZAK!" but gently caress that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Faffel posted:

It's a pretty valid concern. A guitar choice speaks a lot about a person and it' nice to look at your guitar and want to play it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

dolphins are gay posted:

It's a pretty valid concern. A guitar choice speaks a lot about a person and it' nice to look at your guitar and want to play it.

I guess. I'm pretty new to the instrument, but I bought one that I thought was hideous because it sounded really nice. I don't really ever look at it unless I'm playing it. What kind of rear end in a top hat puts gold tuning pegs on his guitar? I mean seriously.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Faffel posted:

I guess. I'm pretty new to the instrument, but I bought one that I thought was hideous because it sounded really nice. I don't really ever look at it unless I'm playing it. What kind of rear end in a top hat puts gold tuning pegs on his guitar? I mean seriously.

Someone who likes the look of gold tuning pegs? The kind of guy who takes pride in their possessions?

The simple fact is, it's not that hard to find a guitar that sounds great and looks great, its not like you have to pick one or the other. Maybe if you had spent a little more time researching you wouldn't have bought a hideous instrument. I've got 5 guitars and they all look as good as they sound.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Epi Lepi posted:

Someone who likes the look of gold tuning pegs? The kind of guy who takes pride in their possessions?

The simple fact is, it's not that hard to find a guitar that sounds great and looks great, its not like you have to pick one or the other. Maybe if you had spent a little more time researching you wouldn't have bought a hideous instrument. I've got 5 guitars and they all look as good as they sound.

There's only one music store where I live. Besides, the look of it really doesn't bother me. It's ugly, but so am I. We're like brothers.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'm generally not too concerned with the aesthetic of my guitar, but under no circumstances will I EVER EVER buy a flying V.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Faffel posted:

I'd definitely use gold-tone hardware if it matched the aesthetic I was going for with the rest of the guitar. Like, say, a transparent green over quilted maple? I'd use gold hardware for that. Got a guitar I'm working on right now that I'm changing out the chrome hardware for black to match the rest of it.

@the Bunt... good, more left for me. Lots of people give them poo poo for being "too 80's" or some crap. I love the symmetry, the balance (on a decently-made one) and the look. Granted, I also like Explorers.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Faffel posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat puts gold tuning pegs on his guitar?
I didn't put them on there, but I'm definitely the kind of rear end in a top hat that won't take them off.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Faffel posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat puts gold tuning pegs on his guitar? I mean seriously.

Don't think about it like people flashing around gold jewelry and such, just think about the aesthetically appealing juxtaposition of contrasting colours.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

MurraneousX posted:

Don't think about it like people flashing around gold jewelry and such, just think about the aesthetically appealing juxtaposition of contrasting colours.

^ For example:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I really don't like gold anything, but I love me some White Falcons

:swoon:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pyrthas posted:

I didn't put them on there, but I'm definitely the kind of rear end in a top hat that won't take them off.

Mine is like gold loving everything. Gold bridge, gold knobs, gold humbuckers, gold tuning knobs and pegs. It's pretty hilarious. Other people seem to like it I guess, Yellow/gold on black is pretty nice, but this poo poo (mine) is like a cherry sunburst Les Paul with gold all over it.

See, now I'm talking about loving guitar aesthetics and I still suck total rear end at playing this instrument.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
That's the nice thing about guitar... you can focus on whatever aspect is more important to you.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

meatcookie posted:

That's the nice thing about guitar... you can focus on whatever aspect is more important to you.

I won't be a complete human being until I can play at least one Psycroptic-styled riff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

See, look at the 3 examples the dudes just posted- 3 guitars of similar shape, but all look totally different and give different impressions. You've probably already got an idea of how they sound just from the look of them. That's pretty cool.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Faffel posted:

I won't be a complete human being until I can play at least one Psycroptic-styled riff.

On one of these

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Hey man I know some people that shred on one of those

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kaboobi posted:

Hey man I know some people that shred on one of those

Hey I wasn't kidding! (Or was I)

Anyone can get instant metal credentials just by showing up with a pointy black guitar. True badasses don't need the crutch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo8yvgg8lU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

baka kaba posted:

On one of these

You see, now I kinda want one. Kinda really want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Don't kid yourself, it's a squier strat with a bridge humbucker, that guy is shredding in spite of it. Now if he were ironically 2 hand tapping in that pose with a lap steel...