Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

So I'm having a continuation of the SV325 issues. I haven't touched the bike since last Sunday when I rode in heavy rain (as it hasn't really stopped raining until today). Today after work I cleared the drain and pulled off the spark plug wire. The connector was wet so I dried that off, and cleaned the... spark plug tube? As best I could with a paper towel until it was dry. Put it all back together, and VROOM, 2 cylinders again. I head inside to put on my gear and run it around the block to recharge the battery a bit and when I come back out, the bike is on one cylinder again :(

I checked the connector again and it was wet again and had this tan buildup on it too that I cleaned off. After replacing everything, the bike was again on 2 cylinders. But then after a minute it was back to runnin rough on a single cylinder. Do I have to remove the spark plug to completely dry it out? What should I do next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bladesamurai posted:

So I'm having a continuation of the SV325 issues. I haven't touched the bike since last Sunday when I rode in heavy rain (as it hasn't really stopped raining until today). Today after work I cleared the drain and pulled off the spark plug wire. The connector was wet so I dried that off, and cleaned the... spark plug tube? As best I could with a paper towel until it was dry. Put it all back together, and VROOM, 2 cylinders again. I head inside to put on my gear and run it around the block to recharge the battery a bit and when I come back out, the bike is on one cylinder again :(

I checked the connector again and it was wet again and had this tan buildup on it too that I cleaned off. After replacing everything, the bike was again on 2 cylinders. But then after a minute it was back to runnin rough on a single cylinder. Do I have to remove the spark plug to completely dry it out? What should I do next?

Do you have any compressed air? You can blow the spark plug tunnel out to get the remaining water out, but otherwise removing the spark plug will be the easiest way to do it. Don't overtorque the spark plug when you reinstall it, as the crush washer on it will have already been crushed. After you remove the spark plug, I'd clean the plug and the tunnel...run a towel down there on a screwdriver or something to get the water out.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Z3n posted:

Just rub it off. It's over where the forks oil on the sliders, so rust tends to build up there.
drat.. so not a good enough reason to switch to a 750 front end.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

dangerz posted:

drat.. so not a good enough reason to switch to a 750 front end.

Depends on who you need to justify it to...

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

bladesamurai posted:

There's a drain hole on the right side of the front cylinder, if you get a can of silicone spray/ wd-40 and use the straw to poke it clear and douse the plug well in wd-40.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

The drain hole was already clear, but I picked up some compressed air and dielectric grease. There was still a decent amount of water left around the sparkplug which i cleaned out. Now the wire has some grease on it and the bike ran fine for my hour ride today. Thanks for the help guys :)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
At what point do you need to start thinking about ECU remap?

I don't think I'm close to it, but I've removed the exhaust baffle, snorkle and just ordered an k&n filter (cause I got it close to cost of stock and I'm about 4000 miles past the replacement interval.. not cause I expect any actual gains in hp). Is there an easy way to tell if the bike is running lean/rich? I get popping on decel due to removing baffle and not disabling PAIR system so I'm guessing this means rich therefore I don't need to worry about it with the better flowing filter?

I know common wisdom is not to bother for exhaust only unless its a full system. Is there additional restriction in the exhaust apart from the baffle? eg a cat or something..

I'm pretty new to this stuff, I've had some bad luck in the past messing about with stuff and breaking and would prefer to not do that this time.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--hcB747LM

Is it normal for the throttle grip to do that or does something need to be tightened?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

King Nothing posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b--hcB747LM

Is it normal for the throttle grip to do that or does something need to be tightened?

There should be some free play in the throttle, but not that much. Here's a good guide on adjustment:

http://bolty.net/2010/12/27/how-to-check-and-adjust-the-throttle-freeplay-on-your-sv650/

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
Well it took me way longer find than I ever imagined it would, but Tuesday I will be the proud owner of a new s650sa.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Cross posting from post your ride but a bit excited right now.

2001 Suzuki SV650
8890 Miles
Originally up on craigs for $2800. I had originally talked with the guy 2 weeks ago but couldn't get up to see it (60 miles away) and then was on vacation. Saw him post it up again yesterday and drove up today. Handles great, motor runs perfect, not a drat scratch on it. The fork seals do need to be redone, not gone yet but dried out and starting to crack a little. After talking with him handed him $2k in cash (cash talks!) and loaded it onto my truck.

Love the color. Funny thing is (and completely unplanned) my new truck (Ford F150) gets delivered in 2 weeks and is almost the exact same color.

Current plans are a suspension upgrade to the springs to handle my weight better (yes I am a fat fucker).
Probably change out the exhaust from the stock one, more to get rid of the huge chrome one.
Some basic luggage to carry stuff when going on trips out side of town.

Anything else I should be thinking about for it?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

If your radiator looked like this:

(note the less than subtle tweak)

but didn't leak, even after the mount was bent back onto it's holder, would you replace it? Would you replace with a used OEM 05+ radiator? Something aftermarket like http://delkevic.us/?section=shop&product_category=radiators_6fm2i&product=suzuki_radiators&start=0&search_term=&order_by=

I'm pretty inclined to just leave it as-is until it breaks as that's the cheaper option but I'm wondering if there's any danger to just running it without touching it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My friend used a delkevic radiator and hasn't had any issues. I'd probably run it as is though, unless it was leaking. Check the fluid level regularly.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
A question about SVs and backfire. I know twins are prone to backfire, but what sort of exhaust really brings this out in an SV? There's a local SV I see on the way to school every morning that sounds like a freaking machine gun and it's glorious.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Megabuttes posted:

A question about SVs and backfire. I know twins are prone to backfire, but what sort of exhaust really brings this out in an SV? There's a local SV I see on the way to school every morning that sounds like a freaking machine gun and it's glorious.

There is a PAIR system on them which needs to be disabled if you go with an aftermarket exhaust or if you remove the baffle on the stocker to get rid of the popping on deceleration.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=47846

I like the sound but I'm starting to get tired of it now. This morning I set off someones car alarm in the work parking garage. Sometimes you get a really loud backfire rather than the popping as well.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
Anyone know how difficult instillation of these would be on a 2009 s? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2408374297.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If, on a scale of 1-10, changing oil is 1, that is a 0.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BigRedCat posted:

Anyone know how difficult instillation of these would be on a 2009 s? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2408374297.html

Rear sliders just bolt on. Main slider you remove a bolt and put in a new one.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

BigRedCat posted:

Does your S have the OEM lower fairings? If so those won't work without cutting your fairings.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Pretty drat good condition '04 new gen SV650 here for $1000:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/2417692811.html

no title, no idea how hard it is to get one. If I haven't heard what a headache it can be I'd jump all over this.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Ugh and I'm in Dallas for the weekend too, and I'm looking for a SV650N, but damnit I don't want to put up with a bike that isn't running, and doesn't have a title.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I can't imagine getting it running will be hard considering it looks like it's in fine condition. Probably just new gas and battery along with a few other small things.

according to this: http://scoot.net/faq/Register_a_barn_find

"It is not possible to register an untitled vehicle in Texas, so in order to register a barn find, you need also to obtain a title."

You have to go through a whole court thing and get a bonded title. Not worth it for me.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 3, 2011

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Also I don't believe the '04 had the black frame so that's a different year.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

bladesamurai posted:

Also I don't believe the '04 had the black frame so that's a different year.

Right, the '04 is a silver frame and it didn't have the windscreen. Its an '05 at least. Either way, probably a pretty good deal if you are handy and know how to get a title.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Has anyone had success removing the warning stickers from their bike to the point where you can't tell they were ever there? I bought an '08 last month and removed the stickers with a hairdryer with no issue, but you can still see a faint rectangle where they were. It's not paint fade, since the inside of the rectangle is the same as the outside. It's just a raised line that I can't seem to get rid of. So far I've tried goo gone, 100% acetone, and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063VT0G

That took a small bit of paint off the top of my right fairing so I dunno if I want to try it on the tank. It might be ok, the paper that comes with it says to not use it on "lacquer coatings or thermoplastic polymers such as polyolefin bumper covers" which sounds more like a plastic fairing than a metal tank. The rectangle's not too visible on the tank though, especially after a wash and wax.

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 4, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

King Nothing posted:

Has anyone had success removing the warning stickers from their bike to the point where you can't tell they were ever there? I bought an '08 last month and removed the stickers with a hairdryer with no issue, but you can still see a faint rectangle where they were. It's not paint fade, since the inside of the triangle is the same as the outside. It's just a raised line that I can't seem to get rid of. So far I've tried goo gone, 100% acetone, and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063VT0G

That took a small bit of paint off the top of my right fairing so I dunno if I want to try it on the tank. It might be ok, the paper that comes with it says to not use it on "lacquer coatings or thermoplastic polymers such as polyolefin bumper covers" which sounds more like a plastic fairing than a metal tank. The rectangle's not too visible on the tank though, especially after a wash and wax.

Zippo fluid always works the best for me. And it's mild :)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Maybe try a claybar?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Zippo fluid always works the best for me. And it's mild :)

Tried that, it might have taken off a tiny bit but after scrubbing for 20 minutes I gave up. Guess I'll give a claybar a try next.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Fan switch appears to be dead as the fan now never turns on, even when its above 208 degrees as outlined in the manual. Going to test that and replace it this week if thats the case. $50.

Any tips for how to get this done without needing to drain the coolant?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Who makes a nice fender/turn signal eliminator for a 07 SV? I need something to add turn signals again after I removed my side cases.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

'99 Sv650 with 6,900 miles on. My first bike and I love it already... I did however kill the battery by not noticing when I parked it at work it was in the 'Brake lights on' position which I honestly didn't even know about. Got a jump from a mechanic across the street and rode it home. Let it run for a bit and was going to take it around the neighborhood but stalled trying to get out of my uphill driveway and it didn't have enough juice to turn over all the way. I have a portable jumper box, but sadly not the correct set of Wrenches to get get the seat off :( I'm going to look for a jacket, gloves ect after work tomorrow and I guess I'll just add metric wrenches and sockets to the list.

The only thing I don't really like is the guy who I bought it from has blue led lights through out the frame. I want to take them out at some point, but I'm not comfortable enough to start playing with wires yet. The only idea I had beside removing them was replacing them with regular white LED's so that if I need to do anything in the dark it's like a built in work light. The other thing that was added were extra flashing LED brake lights. They are attached to back reflectors and columns of 2 on each side, only one column out of the four works. I'm hoping it's just a lose wire or something cause I actually like those.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Anarchist posted:

I know it's your first bike but how is the sound from the holeshot can? I'm thinking of getting one to replace my factory unit..

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anarchist posted:

'99 Sv650 with 6,900 miles on.

drat. Poor thing needs to be ridden.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

Tindjin posted:

I know it's your first bike but how is the sound from the holeshot can? I'm thinking of getting one to replace my factory unit..

I think it sounds pretty good, but I honestly don't have anything to compare it to. It's got a lot of bass too it but it doesn't seem obnoxiously loud. I can try and get a recording but I don't know how well that would translate. It makes a popping sound every once and a while, but I don't think that is from the exhaust. I might have to get the carbs synced, the mechanic 'cross the street thought it might be that or I might have to add some Enzyme fuel treatment because of ethanol in the gas. Speaking of gas... the guy I bought it from said to only use super premium, service manual says 87oct or up at your discretion. The seller also said the bike only has 5 speeds soooo... yea grain of salt.

kylej posted:

drat. Poor thing needs to be ridden.

I plan on fixing that very soon :)

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Anarchist posted:

I think it sounds pretty good, but I honestly don't have anything to compare it to. It's got a lot of bass too it but it doesn't seem obnoxiously loud. I can try and get a recording but I don't know how well that would translate. It makes a popping sound every once and a while, but I don't think that is from the exhaust. I might have to get the carbs synced, the mechanic 'cross the street thought it might be that or I might have to add some Enzyme fuel treatment because of ethanol in the gas. Speaking of gas... the guy I bought it from said to only use super premium, service manual says 87oct or up at your discretion. The seller also said the bike only has 5 speeds soooo... yea grain of salt.

You don't need to do that.. heard a few on youtube, just havn't actually talked with someone who had one on the vtwin comment on it.

The guy who sold it to you is an idiot. It's okay , most are especially if there is so few miles on it. The guy I bought my 2001 w/8900 miles on it said it was fuel injected after I asked about how the carbs were doing then proceeded to adjust the choke lever as he went to start it. /sigh

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The popping sound is fine, it's from the air escaping the point at which your Holeshot exhaust was attached to your bike's exhaust system. The same happens to my 2000 SV650 with a Delkevic slip-on. If you wanna get rid of that, then grab some high temp copper seal, take the muffler off, lay down a good layer just on the inside of the tube, and slap it back on and leave it for a day to completely set in.

One of your bar ends looks kinda off, hmm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

The popping sound is fine, it's from the air escaping the point at which your Holeshot exhaust was attached to your bike's exhaust system. The same happens to my 2000 SV650 with a Delkevic slip-on. If you wanna get rid of that, then grab some high temp copper seal, take the muffler off, lay down a good layer just on the inside of the tube, and slap it back on and leave it for a day to completely set in.

One of your bar ends looks kinda off, hmm

Uhh, no it's not. It's popping because it's running lean. Gen 1s usually don't get jet kits for slipons because they do ok without the jetting change, but it still leans them out quite a bit and they will pop like crazy. They don't pop on the stock exhausts because there's so much baffling material in there it is nearly completely silenced. The PAIR air injection system can cause popping too.

Most of the time, dyno tuners go for power, and that means running it on the leaner side, and that means popping.

Unless, of course, it's spitting back through teh airbox. Then it might be valve adjustment time or minorly clogged carbs. A carb sync is a fine tune adjustment that only affects idle and small throttle openings, it's not going to change the overall power characteristics of the bike.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 7, 2011

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm picking this baby up tomorrow for $1500:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2427272400.html

I can't wait to join you guys and be an SVbro :dance:!

EDIT: Looks like she took down the listing! But it's a matte black 1999 SV650N w/ 32k miles.

EDIT: THE SEQUEL: There's two main problems with the bike that I'm noticing:

About 5 minutes into the ride home the shift linkage rod came loose and unattached. I pulled over and screwed it back in and refastened the bolts on both sides and then kept going on my way. About 45 minutes later the vibrations (I'm guessing) loosened it so it came unattached again and I had to do the same thing. I've also noticed the entire shift pedal has a little bit of play in it, which may be contributing to the problem. I'm going to try and take it fully apart tomorrow and clean the linkage rod threads and the bolts and see if that fixes the problem of it coming loose. I'm not sure how to tighten up the play in the pedal (it wobbles from left to right some), but I think I can feel a depression for a bit on the inside of it.

Also, the speedometer light doesn't work, so it's difficult to see my speed at night. The LCD and everything still works fine on the odometer, though (but it also doesn't light up). Anyone know how to fix that?

Upon looking further, it looks like the shift linkage rod wears out after prolonged mileage and use, so I might need to replace it (something about the ball joints it seems like they are saying on svrider). Does anyone know off of this schematic what all I would need to buy to replace it? I marked down 21, 23, 26, 27, 29, 33, 34, and 35. I wasn't exactly sure which parts "wear out" and need replaced versus what I can just keep on there.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 9, 2011

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
Swapped a gsxr 600 shock in today!

Had to perform some very minor trimming of the battery box for the reservoir to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Persh posted:

Swapped a gsxr 600 shock in today!

Had to perform some very minor trimming of the battery box for the reservoir to fit.

What year bike was it from? I've got an '07 ZX-10R shock on the way. Have you done anything to your front forks?

• Locked thread