Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

hey look a shiny blue car:

Where's the shiny dyno sheet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

Where's the shiny dyno sheet?
Touche ;)

ABP only looks good covered in mud or shiny.

(300lb/ft and 260whp)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

nm posted:

Touche ;)

ABP only looks good covered in mud or shiny.

(300lb/ft and 260whp)

Very nice. I'm starting to think I'll be getting a 2010+ legacy as my next car... Gotta get that 6-speed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
you don't want the 2010 legacy 6-speed.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

Is it not the sti 6 speed?

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Amandyke posted:

Is it not the sti 6 speed?

It's the 5 speed with an extra gear jammed into it and it has shift cables instead of linkages.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm trying to convince the wife she needs a Legacy GT as her commuter car.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I'm looking to buy a new car, and I definitely want some form of Impreza, preferably a turbocharged one. However, since I love the body of the RS, that's also a possibility. Do you guys have any tips for a new buyer like, what my budget should look like, how to find them etc.? Obviously craigslist and NASIOC are good options but I was wondering if there are other places as well. I'm looking at a pretty low budget, like 4 grand to 10 grand so older cars are probably my best option.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Cleaned my MAF and cobb intake filterlast night. Reinstalled them today and took the car out for a bit of a drive. Runs like poo poo now. Would it make sense if the car had been tuned on a rather dirty MAF (the wires were black with dirt), with a clean MAF it would run hyper rich and be complete poo poo? MAF is only hitting 3.6 volts when it the engine starts suttering. A/F on the AP is claimed at ~11:1, but I cannot get more than 25-30% throttle before it starts stuttering. Going to take the car into my tuner on tuesday to have him log it a bit and see what's going on.

Hooray for a clean MAF causing problems...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

They did that even with the LGT?

Oh subaru. . . .

Also, you should all get front diffs. Weeee!

Amandyke, it should be noted that the 2007-2009 Legacy GT Spec-B transmission is STI based.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 22, 2011

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

blargle posted:

Anyone know a place to get a decent alignment in north NJ that doesn't cost $300? Knowing how to adjust castor on a Subaru is also a plus.

I think I paid $200 at Akuma, but I can't remember.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yeah, Akuma wants $199, didn't even bother with Eurotire. Tire & Wheel Performance Center in Ridgewood quoted me $90, so I'll try them.

Also picked up a brand new catted downpipe for $300 shipped. Since nobody seems to make a 3" quad exhaust that doesn't have giant 4" melon shooter tips I'll probably try to bolt on a single tip catback for a '09/10 WRX and see how silly it looks with the bumper gap.

blargle fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 22, 2011

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Very nice. I'm starting to think I'll be getting a 2010+ legacy as my next car... Gotta get that 6-speed.

6 speed isn't all that great, but for a car like that it's better off cables rather than linkage. It has some slop that probably could be cleaned up with bushings and probably a shorter throw. Of course cleaning up the slop will just introduce more buzzing and other poo poo into the cabin so you'll end up slightly defeating what is nice about the car.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I did the "seat mod" for the 08+ Impreza today, took 5 minutes with pliers and the difference is incredible. Highly recommended for anyone who misses the bolster that the older cars had: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior/166078-08-09-sti-seat-mod-write-up-w-pics-your-bolstering-needs.html. I removed the entire wire mesh and threw it away instead of just unhooking it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
What exactly does that do? Just removes some tension that holds the side bolsters "out"... so that they flex in towards you some more?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
It allows the back of the seat to sink more which in turn allows the side bolstering to hold you in place better. It's a worthwhile mod.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

so here's what happens when you put 38 pounds of boost through a subaru motor:

oh well, saw it coming and that motor was good for four events and two track records.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

And the piston stayed intact. Assuming that ain't stock.

(Also, my car still works)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Time to sleeve it!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

"Crashed" the impreza at Beaverun. I have to now arrange to get it towed back. Unless someone knows someone near Wampum, PA :x. I hit an embankment and somehow snapped the front right axle at the outer CV Joint and possibly damaged other suspension components there.

I got first in class for the TT at least and I crashed it on the last session. Was trying to push too hard to break into 1:15. I *think* I apexed too early and got on the gas way too early before the suspension had time to settle after the crest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qPHsYdOMY

:smith:

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What kind of suspension are you on?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

blargle posted:

What kind of suspension are you on?

RCE Tarmac 2 (KW Variant 2)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Time to sleeve it!

it gets better:

and some rods are bent.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

:stare:

So what's next?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

the crank and rods I'm not worried about. My best guess is that the sleeve cracked, water got in the cylinder, and that bent the rods and broke the crank. Additionally, it was a crank that we re-used after blowing up the last motor. I would like to do sleeves, wills rings, and oversized headstuds because it's not the first time we've cracked a sleeve. Problem is that will cost quite a bit of money over the mostly free motor we were already in the process of building as a spare. To be able to make 750whp, set two track records and compete in and win four events before the motor breaks is reasonable to me, especially when all the internal parts were sponsored. Currently going through pictures from the weekend and editing some video. I'll have the in-car of our fast lap and also when it blew up on youtube later tonight.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

c355n4 posted:

RCE Tarmac 2 (KW Variant 2)
RCE Tarmac 2s are KW V3s
RCE Tarmac 1s are KW V2s

0s are V1s.

Confusing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

video of us not breaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIYc3CjY-4

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

c355n4 posted:

"Crashed" the impreza at Beaverun. I have to now arrange to get it towed back. Unless someone knows someone near Wampum, PA :x. I hit an embankment and somehow snapped the front right axle at the outer CV Joint and possibly damaged other suspension components there.

I got first in class for the TT at least and I crashed it on the last session. Was trying to push too hard to break into 1:15. I *think* I apexed too early and got on the gas way too early before the suspension had time to settle after the crest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qPHsYdOMY

:smith:

Where are you located? You could always buy a 200 mile AAA membership and have them tow you.

Crazy how you'd crash there... I've only ever run the beaver on a bike and crashing on that part of the track would seem impossible as such...

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

video of us not breaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIYc3CjY-4

How did that thing not fly off the track at least a hand full of times? :psyduck:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

video of us breaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6v76JXWlIc

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

nm posted:

RCE Tarmac 2s are KW V3s
RCE Tarmac 1s are KW V2s

0s are V1s.

Confusing.

Doh, mea culpa. I just drive on them! Heh.

Blaise posted:

Where are you located? You could always buy a 200 mile AAA membership and have them tow you.

Crazy how you'd crash there... I've only ever run the beaver on a bike and crashing on that part of the track would seem impossible as such...

I'm in NJ, so like 350 miles away. The sucky part is that I've been saving up for a tow vehicle and trailer. I have a buddy halfway and he might be able to pick it up for me.

It kind of helps that I have video, I've been trying to solicit opinions on what I did wrong in the corner. I'm still a novice at this and learning.

Lotta videos of stuff breaking in this thread suddenly :x

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

How did that thing not fly off the track at least a hand full of times? :psyduck:
AWD!
;)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

c355n4 posted:

I'm in NJ, so like 350 miles away. The sucky part is that I've been saving up for a tow vehicle and trailer. I have a buddy halfway and he might be able to pick it up for me.

It kind of helps that I have video, I've been trying to solicit opinions on what I did wrong in the corner. I'm still a novice at this and learning.

JC, our driver, says it looks like you just corrected too late and too slow.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jamal posted:

JC, our driver, says it looks like you just corrected too late and too slow.

The same guy who couldn't tell a blown head gasket from a snapped crank? :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

well, when it happened, the cracked sleeve sprayed water on the windshield, which is were our coolant overflow bottle dumps to.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
So I'm experiencing what I think is Wastegate Flutter, wondering if someone can confirm.

2010 STI
AEM Intake
Catted DP
Cobb AP Stage 2 + AEM map

At freeway speeds in 5th/6th gear if I floor it once I get to max boost I hear a fluttering sound from my intake which otherwise sounds like it's attempting to suck all of earths available oxygen in.

Is this wastegate flutter?

If it is do I need to be concerned with it?

If it isn't do I need to be concerned with it?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

c355n4 posted:

Honestly? Ask a friend for a truck and rent a u-haul trailer. It's gonna suck either way. If it weren't AWD you could get away with a tow dolly.

Why weren't you at NJMP?? ;)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

c355n4 posted:

go to napa, get a replacement axle, change it in the parking lot?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Whelp, tried my backup MAF on my car to see if by some odd twist I had broken it when I cleaned it with MAF cleaner. And it does the same "OMG LOOK AT ALL THIS AIR COMING IN I BETTER RAMP UP THE FUEL" shuddering when you put your foot into it. Soooo, guess who gets to get their car retuned this friday! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Are subframe inserts and subframe outrigger bushings necessary, or can you accomplish the same thing with the lockdown bolts?