Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Cage posted:

Also for the next game: No more social club. I wanted to have a game of MP but the social club website is undergoing maintenance, which means I cant log in which means I cant play online, even though I dont use any aspect of it besides logging in.

Hear hear! It's an annoying additional thing that just doesn't have to be there. GfWL is annoying enough as it is, no need to add extra poo poo on top of that to make it worse :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"That poo poo finances terrorism."

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

racistman's videos are always awesome. Jongmobile will always be my favorite.

Though this one gives them both competition.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Reminded me of a couple of clips that PC Gamer UK made back when the game came out.

Surprising News!

Some spectacular timing here

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That Awful Nick posted:

racistman's videos are always awesome.

Director trademarks: dramatic zooms into odd-looking but expressionless faces

e: :downs:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 14, 2011

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Finished the game, didn't know there were alternative endings thread spoiled Kate's death so I was pretty pissed when it was actually Roman who died

What a downer ending (at least until New York Groove started playing in the credits.)

My feelings about the soundtrack completely changed about halfway through the game. At first I hated it but now it's quite the opposite. I don't really like many of the songs but there are quite a few gems in there as well and they all fit the atmosphere perfectly. Radio Broker, VladivostokFM and ElectroChock are great.
Looking forward to the DLC.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Director trademarks: dramatic zooms into odd-looking but expressionless faces

I think you mean "typical GTA IV faces". My favorite one is still the old lady from one of his videos who screams, and her facial animation is just bugging her eyes a little and twisting her mouth.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

My feelings about the soundtrack completely changed about halfway through the game. At first I hated it but now it's quite the opposite. I don't really like many of the songs but there are quite a few gems in there as well and they all fit the atmosphere perfectly. Radio Broker, VladivostokFM and ElectroChock are great.
Looking forward to the DLC.

I had to warm to the vanilla soundtrack as well. Not sure if having real people as themselves for DJs is a good idea, although I hope they can keep Lagerfeld as 'Deezhee Karrrl'. Btw, it's loving dangerous to listen to the soundtrack when riding a real motorcycle. I recorded the standalone expansion's K109 and Vladivostok FM to mp3 and just couldn't stop speeding. Better switch to the reggae stations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ugh, is there a way to restore vanilla GTAIV handling in the DLC? It feels like I'm driving RC cars. I know some people bitched about driving requiring some time to get used to but this is ridiculous.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I never noticed a difference between vanilla/episodes.

What exactly is so different?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Handling is much more realistic in vanilla, you can't go into turns at full speed, you actually fall off your bike when you hit something, there is some weight behind the vehicles. DLC driving feels cartoony, when you hit something with your bike you tend to bounce in the air like in GTA:SA, trucks accelerate and handle like the race cars in vanilla, everything is really floaty. They took out all the fun for some reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the bikes improved. While more realistic, the bikes in vanilla are annoying. Mainly because if you hit anything, you fly off and you have to find your bike and get back on. Sticking to the bike better in the later games made them a lot better. Can't say that I noticed the car handling changing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

They didn't touch the handling of non-bikes as far as we know, I think you might be the first person to complain about it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah, I knew the bikes were different but Ive been playing both games since launch and I havent noticed the driving being different.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Car handling doesn't seem to have changed that much, it's definitely got easier over time but I thought I was getting better instead of the game being patched :saddowns:

The bikes in the DLC are so much easier than vanilla though, I loved the bikes in the original as I'm a fan of grating Nico's face across some concrete. Lost & Damned wouldn't have worked with the same handling but I guess you can excuse it by saying "Bikers have more experience with riding bikes than Nico".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lurchibles posted:

Lost & Damned wouldn't have worked with the same handling but I guess you can excuse it by saying "Bikers have more experience with riding bikes than Nico".

I'm pretty sure that's the actual reasoning for it. Johnny should feel like driving without a bike sucks.

I'm pretty far into Gay Tony right now and I've come across a really frustrating bug. I'm in a mission where it starts me behind cover shooting down on a SHITLOAD of dudes. But if I break cover or even aim behind me, Luis somehow loses the ability to fire downwards from cover and starts shooting the ceiling when I turn back around. :saddowns:

It's actually kind of ruining it for me because the mission has become impossibly hard now. :smith:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

It's actually kind of ruining it for me because the mission has become impossibly hard now. :smith:

Get out of cover and manually crouch instead? I hate taking cover in GTAIV/RDR, it's clunky and usually gets you killed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fennesz posted:

Get out of cover and manually crouch instead? I hate taking cover in GTAIV/RDR, it's clunky and usually gets you killed.

You get shot significantly less when in cover. Taking cover and blind-firing can get you through most missions without taking damage if you do it right.

I'm basically playing the game like Red Dead, and it seems to be working out OK for me so far until I hit this point. It's so dumb, why is it that it works at the start of the mission, but stops working fifteen seconds later?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dewgy posted:

You get shot significantly less when in cover. Taking cover and blind-firing can get you through most missions without taking damage if you do it right.

Yeah RDR fortunately doesn't have the "you're in cover so you'll never get shot" mechanic. If you're behind cover manually or otherwise, you're much less likely to get hit. I assume you've tried quitting and reloading...maybe it's your control scheme?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fennesz posted:

Yeah RDR fortunately doesn't have the "you're in cover so you'll never get shot" mechanic. If you're behind cover manually or otherwise, you're much less likely to get hit. I assume you've tried quitting and reloading...maybe it's your control scheme?

Nope, and oddly enough it looks like my A.I. buddy is having the exact same problem. 45 seconds into the mission and he's shooting nothing but ceiling.

I'll try after a reboot I guess, but either way it's super frustrating. :(

edit: If anyone with the DLC wants to try out what I'm talking about, the mission is "Party's Over". Just start the mission, aim behind you, and then see if you can blindfire off the balcony again.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Dewgy posted:

edit: If anyone with the DLC wants to try out what I'm talking about, the mission is "Party's Over". Just start the mission, aim behind you, and then see if you can blindfire off the balcony again.

Is this the shootout in maisonette? I remember getting frustrated in that map too, although it wasn't as glitchy for me (xbox 360). It was just a terrible spot for cover.

I ended up standing back at the back of the room, facing the stairwell. Most of the enemies ended up running towards the stairs, and I would blow them back down as they came one by one. From memory there was a health pack on the opposite side of the upstairs balcony also.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Isometric Bacon posted:

Is this the shootout in maisonette? I remember getting frustrated in that map too, although it wasn't as glitchy for me (xbox 360). It was just a terrible spot for cover.

Yep, that's the one. When dudes start actually making it up the stairs (like if I'm reloading or if I miss) is when I get screwed. Shoot the guys on the first floor a whole bunch, shoot a guy behind me, suddenly I can't shoot the guys on the first floor anymore. :saddowns:

edit: Feel I should clarify one thing. I can point the camera downstairs, but my shots won't go there, if that makes sense.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2011

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Dewgy posted:

Yep, that's the one. When dudes start actually making it up the stairs (like if I'm reloading or if I miss) is when I get screwed. Shoot the guys on the first floor a whole bunch, shoot a guy behind me, suddenly I can't shoot the guys on the first floor anymore. :saddowns:

edit: Feel I should clarify one thing. I can point the camera downstairs, but my shots won't go there, if that makes sense.

Ugh that sounds painful. I understand your frustration, I ran into many similar errors where you'd be in cover, the character would fire around the corner straight into a invisible piece of geometry, or a part of the environment sticking out.

Are you playing with a mouse or a controller? I used to play controller, and whenever autoaim was on I found it infuriating when it wouldn't aim where I wanted it, instead at their torsos, which were hidden behind cover. I had it off for most of the game, except for certain levels where the difficulty was ramped up so high that it was assuming you were using the autoaim, which turns a difficult level into "auto aim + fire, auto aim + fire, auto aim + fire" continuously until everyone is dead.

In that level, I sort of huddled at the back of the room, facing the stairs. Before the level, I called up Luis' friends and bought a crapload of explosive shotgun shells. That was usually enough to one shot them as they got up the stairs, before they had the chance to grab proper cover.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Finally bought this today for PC, I threw a few weapon/clothing textures at it. The time sync mod is also intriguing, I prefer it this way.. A great combination with the first-person mod as well.
On that note, is it okay if I ask if anyone has a USB controller preference for this on PC? Or can I just pick up a random one from Goodwill with at least 6 buttons?
I'm trying to catch up from page 1 to glean all the good mods/mission playthrough methods/fun things I can. Only trick I remembered from my last playthrough is the swingset fun with physics.
Now, to save up some chump change for the DLC set on Amazon.

This is from a short while back, I just really need to re-quote it because I love it and totally agree.

jerkstore77 posted:

Wherever they decide to do GTA 5, my wish for the series has always been for them to recreate the actual streets of the various cities. Like you could take a map of the game and overlay it onto google maps and it'd be exactly the same. Imagine the game being played on the actual Vegas strip. I dont know if current technology can support this though.

Combine that with the ultra-futuristic-but-not-Deus-Ex-honestly idea, and I'd get that game in a heartbeat.

Wait: I'd trade that all for

Zigmidge posted:

New Orleans is a fantastic idea. I hope we get a sandbox game there soon.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 15, 2011

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Paradox Personified posted:

On that note, is it okay if I ask if anyone has a USB controller preference for this on PC? Or can I just pick up a random one from Goodwill with at least 6 buttons?
Wired Xbox 360 controller. No doubt.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That or a DS3 with the drivers that let you emulate a 360 controller. Don't waste your money on lovely controllers.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
The final shootout in TBOGT is terrible. I passed it by buying up a load of molotovs and spamming the entryway with them.

I don't want to even think about trying to headshot everybody :stare:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Last night I finally finished that drat final mission from IV. What a piece of poo poo that was.

So now I'm on to the Episodes. I found that you can copy over the data from IV into the Steam directory if you bought Episodes from Steam but not IV. Then you hit validate game files in Steam.

However I just realsied it downloaded 14Gb anyway. I was wondering why validating took like 4 hours. That's nearly 40% of my internet cap. :regd09:

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Had a fun time tweaking settings with various camera views when I got to the apartment fire.

Aerial, definition on:
Off:

Streetview, definition on:
Off:

Parking, definition on:
Off:

Settings: HD 5770, II x3 440 @3GHz (I'd unlock the core and OC but I'm afraid), 4GB RAM. 64-bit W7 Ultimate. Saturation at around 30-40 percent, contrast a bit above 50, and brightness at 90 percent.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Does anyone have a good video to teach me how to fly a plane in SA? I'm so terrible at it, I just can't figure out how to make good turns. Does it show up in a lot of the Las Venturas missions?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Disable the mouse flying thing, bind the controls for pitch/rudder to the numpad and use two hands on the keyboard. Changing the camera can help a lot depending on exactly what you're trying to do.

The mission button (2 by default) will pull up the gear on your plane, that gives a massive performance boost on the planes that can do it.

Derryck Catskills
Jun 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Everyone should check out this guy's GTA:SA Speedrun. Dude is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewMug2ixKOs

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Any tips for not getting completely massacred at GTA4 multiplayer? I tried a random deathmatch on a whim today and spent most of my time getting one shot repeatedly while it took a good 15-20 shots to kill my opponent. Was kinda fun and I eventually got a couple kills, but I didn't really know what I was doing and it showed.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 21, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Any tips for not getting completely massacred at GTA4 multiplayer? I tried a random deathmatch on a whim today and spent most of my time getting one shot repeatedly while it took a good 15-20 shots to kill my opponent. Was kinda fun and I eventually got a couple kills, but I didn't really know what I was doing and it showed.

I'm waiting with you on replies to this. Same boat as you. I never went into MP when I played this on a PS3, so I have no clue.
Let me know if the learning curve isn't too crazy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bullets dont travel forever, MP5 shoots farther than the UZI, and the M16 shoots farther than the AK-47. Aim for the head, it counts in this game. Dont bother with shotguns unless youre in really close combat.

When you duck or go behind cover your team colored dot above your head disappears for the other team, but comes back whenever youre standing or in a car.

I only play team mafiya work, not deathmatch so I don't really have any specific tips for you there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

I think you mean "typical GTA IV faces". My favorite one is still the old lady from one of his videos who screams, and her facial animation is just bugging her eyes a little and twisting her mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OZlbwvgOkw&feature=related Towards the end. These videos are loving amazing.

I already posted my favorite but god damnit I am posting it again because it is gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33UDPpcsnA&feature=related OFFICER DOWN

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 21, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gils posted:

Does anyone have a good video to teach me how to fly a plane in SA? I'm so terrible at it, I just can't figure out how to make good turns. Does it show up in a lot of the Las Venturas missions?
If you have a gamepad, just use that for flying.
It goes from gently caress-this to second nature.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Derryck Catskills posted:

Everyone should check out this guy's GTA:SA Speedrun. Dude is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewMug2ixKOs

Holy gently caress this guy is a pro. I was considering doing a GTA3 speedrun for SDA but watching this makes me feel like there's no point.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What the gently caress. I just went to a comedy club for the first time ever since Packie invited me to one and :siren:MOTHERFUCKING RICKY GERVAIS PERFORMS IN THIS GAME:siren:

That was the most pleasant surprise ever. It was actually drat funny too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
There`s also Katt Williams.

• Locked thread