Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

stump posted:

We have some concrete motorways in the uk, and they are pretty horrible compared to tarmac. Much noisier and the joins thunking drive you mad.

Hohoho this. *THUD* *THUD* *THUD*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stump posted:

We have some concrete motorways in the uk, and they are pretty horrible compared to tarmac. Much noisier and the joins thunking drive you mad.

sooo what do you call pavement?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

CharlesM posted:

tarmac.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

coinstarpatrick posted:

This is absolutely the case here in Illinois. The unions immediately go crazy at the mention of a cement road. The town where I lived in Texas had all cement roads which was amazing, you could always tell when you left town by the poverty roads.

I am certain that IL is under a permanent and lasting sign holding and shovel leaning operation with a 6 month break for vacation.

In the North we have the excuse of permafrost heaving our roads to crap. This is why we generally have more asphalt than concrete.

Note this is also true of IL and they have a much higher population density in the North of their state. Also no one visits WI except for FIBs.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

CharlesM posted:

The bit at the side of the road you walk on?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nooo the stuff the road is made out of. In the U.S. the general term for any of that is pavement, which encompasses concrete, asphalt, etc. Tarmac like travisray04 says?
Oh and we call the thing for pedestrians a sidewalk!

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Usually we just call it the road/road suface or tarmac like travisray says.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

stump posted:

Yeah I agree with this, and I live in the Midwest of USA. Most of the highways around me are concrete, and I LOVE when I get onto a smooth asphalt (what we call tarmac in the USA) surface. A good asphalt road is way smoother than a good concrete road. So tired of the THUD THUD THUD and whirring noise from tires on concrete roads.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Picked up the new car on Friday, and already managed to put a large number of city, back road and motorway miles on it.

It runs the same 1.6l diesel engine as the new Mini Cooper Ds, but is a lot more spacious, and even with my awfully inefficient driving style it's getting some decent MPG;

cynic fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 18, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

cynic posted:

Picked up the new car on Friday, and already managed to put a large number of city, back road and motorway miles on it.

It runs the same 1.6l diesel engine as the new Mini Cooper Ds, but is a lot more spacious, and even with my awfully inefficient driving style it's getting some decent MPG;

I really like that! I don't think I've ever seen them in non-hatchback form.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

travisray2004 posted:

I really like that! I don't think I've ever seen them in non-hatchback form.

Is it not a hatchback? I honestly can't tell, but I think it is.

edit: I mean, I'm 90% sure it's a hatchback.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

salt the fries! posted:

Is it not a hatchback? I honestly can't tell, but I think it is.

edit: I mean, I'm 90% sure it's a hatchback.

I think you are right sir....I don't think they even make a sedan version of the C4.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

travisray2004 posted:

I think you are right sir....I don't think they even make a sedan version of the C4.

Looks like you're right. How should I know, the only Citroen cars I've ever seen are 20+ years old.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

salt the fries! posted:

Looks like you're right. How should I know, the only Citroen cars I've ever seen are 20+ years old.

hahah no joke. I always see the new Citroens and think that they're nice looking little cars (especially the DS3) but then I wonder if they're anything like the ones we got.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

hahah no joke. I always see the new Citroens and think that they're nice looking little cars (especially the DS3) but then I wonder if they're anything like the ones we got.

Yeah, it's a hatchback; I think the low angle is making the cars hips look like a trunk. Having said that it's got a really quite decent amount of space on the rear seats and in the back - far more than current generation Focus or Golf. As for the build quality, I bought the old c3 in it's first year of release and it had the standard Citroen build issues - by the time I sold the car I had a collection of plastic trim that had fallen from various parts of the car. This one seems a lot higher quality inside - a fair amount of solid metal, soft touch trim, leather and chunky plastics. Mechanical quality seems good so far, the engine is drat good for a small diesel (they threw a twin-scroll turbo into it, and it's surprisingly responsive) and the gadgetry is almost there, although the iPod integration is a bit quirky (won't always display track listings when requested, and on one of the screens it displays spaces as underscores).

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Das Volk posted:

I sure am glad the unions are still around, they serve such a noble purpose these days

Boy I love political philosophy built around anecdotes. Have you heard about the Cadillac-driving Welfare Queens?

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Geoj posted:

^
To be fair though, don't they use a more permanent form of pavement in western Europe because they're not concerned about keeping a sizeable percentage of the population employed endlessly repaving roads?

The roads are more durable, I'm trying to find a reference for it. I believe the US standard is to lay a 7" concrete base for 3" of asphalt, and the German standard is something approximate to an 18" concrete base for 5" of asphalt. I'm not sure about the differential between construction upkeep, but I know a good part of German autobahn construction is lane expansions, which is something the US doesn't seem very interested in performing.

edit: According to the History Channel's Modern Marvels Autobahn episode, "the Autobahn is 27 inches of asphalt and concrete, over twice the thickness of US highways." They also point out if a single crack develops, the entire section is resurfaced.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 20, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

heat posted:

Have you heard about the Cadillac-driving Welfare Queens?

Well there you go again.

I also heard that people making $250,000/year are really just average working class and the unfair tax code is strangling them, but at the same time teachers who make $50,000/year are money-grubbing bastards whose unbridled greed is bankrupting us all.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Mr.Peabody posted:

The roads are more durable, I'm trying to find a reference for it. I believe the US standard is to lay a 7" concrete base for 3" of asphalt, and the German standard is something approximate to an 18" concrete base for 5" of asphalt. I'm not sure about the differential between construction upkeep, but I know a good part of German autobahn construction is lane expansions, which is something the US doesn't seem very interested in performing.

But I don't understand why a thicker foundation would make the surface any more durable?

Here in Florida, its pretty clear what the number-one enemy to road surfaces is; the goddamn sun. Its not uncommon to drive down the road after a small rain storm and see just tons and tons of steam coming off the road. So it goes from sopping wet one night to just baking in the sun the next.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

The Scientist posted:

But I don't understand why a thicker foundation would make the surface any more durable?

Here in Florida, its pretty clear what the number-one enemy to road surfaces is; the goddamn sun. Its not uncommon to drive down the road after a small rain storm and see just tons and tons of steam coming off the road. So it goes from sopping wet one night to just baking in the sun the next.

Needless to say, the obvious wear in asphalt is caused by heating and cooling, but there is wear against the road surface due to the weight bearing aspect of it as well causing vertical movement and a rippling force. Asphalt is technically still a liquid, and running a million fully loaded trucks across it definitely causes wear. The combination of a thicker pour of asphalt giving more adhesion during temperature changes and a thicker pour of concrete that can bear heavier loads ends up doing a lot to improve road durability.

e: fixed grammar

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 19, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

The Scientist posted:

Here in Florida

:laugh:

Let us know when your roads are utterly destroyed on a yearly basis by the earth tilting away from the goddamn sun. I'm sure the oppressive heat isn't great for a road but it's got nothing on freeze-thaw cycles

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The roads in Florida are goddamn awesome, even the oldest, shittiest ones are still better than the ones up north.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

heat posted:

:laugh:

Let us know when your roads are utterly destroyed on a yearly basis by the earth tilting away from the goddamn sun. I'm sure the oppressive heat isn't great for a road but it's got nothing on freeze-thaw cycles

To say nothing of throwing tons of salt on it and running plows on it 4-5 months out of the year.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!
I've decided to go to grad school, so to save money my Colbalt SS had to go. Here is the replacement:

Drives like a dream. I can't wait to buy the Hawaiian shirt and cigar to match it.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Billy Tully posted:

The roads in Florida are goddamn awesome, even the oldest, shittiest ones are still better than the ones up north.

The entirety of I-95 in my county, which is 90 miles long, is either flanked by concrete barriers or cones. You have to overtake semi's as you're going over over-passes, with barriers no more than 1 foot outside the lane on either side of the 2 lanes. Meanwhile the people behind you are going 90 while the 8 consecutive cars full of old people in front of you are doing 10 under. Then the semi drifts into your lane, meanwhile the old motherfucker just ahead of him has had his turn signal on for 3 miles and the semi doesn't know if he's gonna merge or not, 'cause he's swerving like he took too much blood pressure medicine.

Also because of the heat the gaps in all the cement roads are like twice as big, and the tolls are so expensive they set up "e-pass" so that it can deduct money straight from your bank account without having to inconvenience you with thinking about it.

I live in the penis of America.

edit: Do you know how many loving old people live in Florida? All of them. All of the old people in America live in Florida. Its our country's version of putting them on a loving ice cube and watching them drift away.

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 20, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Plus, by definition, a frozen road is the smoothest road you could possibly ask for. :colbert:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Getindachoppa! posted:

I've decided to go to grad school, so to save money my Colbalt SS had to go. Here is the replacement:

Drives like a dream. I can't wait to buy the Hawaiian shirt and cigar to match it.

Hell yeah, man. Welcome to the Cars with Personality club. :coolfish:

Oh and congrats on grad school!

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

The Scientist posted:

Meanwhile the people behind you are going 90 while the 8 consecutive cars full of old people in front of you are doing 10 under.

Do you know how many loving old people live in Florida? All of them. All of the old people in America live in Florida. Its our country's version of putting them on a loving ice cube and watching them drift away.

QFT. I just moved here and I swear they have the Official State Sport is driving 10 MPH under the speed limit. WTF is up with that?!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Old people are retired, so they got nowhere to be, and they're gonna die soon so what do they care?

Also I swear I wish I could make a fancy chart of the globe of reported incidents of people accidentally driving their cars through walls and into buildings. Florida would be loving orange or something. Its disconcerting.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Here's another shot of my humble ride after a fresh wash and wax

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 20, 2011

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

The Scientist posted:

Plus, by definition, a frozen road is the smoothest road you could possibly ask for. :colbert:

Obviously spoken by someone who has never driven on a frozen road before.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Here's another shot of my humble ride after a fresh wash and wax

Appreciate the effort to go out and wash and wax your ride like any other person, but may I make a friendly suggestion? I notice you're shooting most of your pictures far away from your car, but there's nothing of interest in the background and it ends up being distracting.

You could really benefit from a tighter crop when you take shots of your ride; I know you're not having a photo session or anything, but if you're going to a minute or two to whip out your camera to take a shot, why not take just a few more seconds to adjust your position and make a picture of your beloved set of wheels more appealing? :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Haha, I admit my eyes wandered off to the white car with those hubcaps, which looks like 2 seperate wheel styles smushed into one $14 walmart set.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

My two rides. I look at it like that old "decisions" poster with all the nice cars, except in my case it's about deciding which one to spend all weekend working on.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

AF posted:

Appreciate the effort to go out and wash and wax your ride like any other person, but may I make a friendly suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it :D

Cage posted:

Haha, I admit my eyes wandered off to the white car with those hubcaps, which looks like 2 seperate wheel styles smushed into one $14 walmart set.

If it makes you feel better, they do have 3 different types of hubcaps on that car.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Here's a quick, not-the-best shot of my car, a 2002 330Ci:

Got it two weeks ago; it has 62,000 miles on it, and apart from a few rock chips (and a small dent/scrape on the driver's door, plus that hood badge), is in about as good shape as one could hope for a nine-year old car. Mechanically, it's as good as it looks topside.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Good Side

Bad Side

86 Toyota 4Runner SR5

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
How easy is it to take that back canopy off? I've seen poo poo loads of these and for some reason never even considered it came off because I've never seen a local one without it.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

tobu posted:

How easy is it to take that back canopy off? I've seen poo poo loads of these and for some reason never even considered it came off because I've never seen a local one without it.

With a extra set of hands its easy. Just a few screws and bolts and lifts off, its only about 150lbs.

GIMpy12 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

The Scientist posted:

MikeyTsi posted:

Obviously spoken by someone who has never driven on a frozen road before.

IMGP8870 by Execudork, on Flickr
Nah, The Scientist is mostly right - only the pressure heaves break up the oil-on-Teflon surface. On a pond that's shallow enough to freeze right into the mud (rather than a lake like this one with liquid water under ~20 inches of ice) the surface gets polished by blowing snow and idiots like me hooning it up.