Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Speaking of Can Ams, I saw a TV ad for those things the other day. It showed a few Can Ams taking on the twisties. The riders stayed perfectly straight up vertical on their trikes. It looked like the most boring thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

the walkin dude posted:

Speaking of Can Ams, I saw a TV ad for those things the other day. It showed a few Can Ams taking on the twisties. The riders stayed perfectly straight up vertical on their trikes. It looked like the most boring thing ever.

They're going slow. You have to hang your leg and really lean to get through twisties. It's just like riding a four wheeler.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

the walkin dude posted:

I see one on Hulu every once in a while and it says you can take your motorcycle license test on one. :psyduck:

Maybe it's like taking your test on a trike: you get your license, but are limited to three wheeled vehicles?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Uthor posted:

I see one on Hulu every once in a while and it says you can take your motorcycle license test on one. :psyduck:

Maybe it's like taking your test on a trike: you get your license, but are limited to three wheeled vehicles?

I can't see making the uturn in a box on one, it sucked enough on a supersport.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yeah, it's a different skill set. Even if you have a motorcycle license it can be good to take the course to learn how to ride the Can Am. It's different from riding a bike. Like I said before, it's more like riding a four wheeler. If you're just putting around on it you'll be fine but if you really want to ride it there are things you need to learn. A lot of it is intuitive, especially if you've done any high speed four wheeling.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I want to see someone do a wheelie on a Can Am.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

KozmoNaut posted:

I tried as a joke but it's too long and way too front heavy. It would be cool to see someone do it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

the walkin dude posted:

I've test ridden one, it was boring. They have electronics to prevent one of the front wheels from coming up in corners, which is definitely a plus, because the thing is so drat unstable when cornering it feels like it will flip over. I'm sure it would without the electronics, if you turned hard enough.

It's a hell of a lot more fun than a slow car, though.

KozmoNaut posted:

The rear wheel breaks loose so easily it's likely impossible, though you're probably joking anyway.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I want to ride a Ural with a sidecar and a kickass dog in doggles, doing rolling burnouts in front of the Can am dealer.

Can Ams remind me of these bicycle things that are designed to be used by :downs:. I'm sorry renraku, I can't help it. :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

hayden. posted:

The rear wheel breaks loose so easily it's likely impossible, though you're probably joking anyway.

I was, but I would be in awe if someone actually managed to do it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

It's cool. I'm not really offended. I find it neither slow or boring, I love it and regret nothing. I think it looks beautiful.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah there's definitely a crowd out there they are perfect for, I didn't mean to poo poo on them entirely. They just don't replicate the motorcycle experience much.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I just can't get over how they're a snowmobile with wheels. They look so frumpy to me. That's cool that you're happy with yours though.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

hayden. posted:

They just don't replicate the motorcycle experience much.

Oh, it's totally different, but not different in a bad way.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

KozmoNaut posted:

I was, but I would be in awe if someone actually managed to do it.

Does it have reverse?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Gnaghi posted:

Does it have reverse?

Yes.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

renraku posted:

Yes.

Well than adjust your mirrors down and go wheelie the thing!

Edit: I'm retarded.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 21, 2011

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008

Kommando posted:

I'm brisbane southside. is there any qld goon crew about who go for rides?

Not that I know of.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

renraku posted:

Went from doing it with two to doing it with three.

Picked up a Can Am Spyder RSS. I absolutely love this thing. It's the fastest thing I've ever been on. It's an absolute pleasure to ride. You kinda lose the benefits of parking as compared to a bike and you ride it more like a four wheeler than a bike.

gently caress the haters, I think there neat.

I still want to take one out for a spin just to see how they handle.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

evilnissan posted:

gently caress the haters, I think there neat.

I still want to take one out for a spin just to see how they handle.

They're pretty easy to get test rides on if you show up at a dealership, from what I understand

Gnaghi posted:

Well than adjust your mirrors down and go wheelie the thing!

Edit: I'm retarded.

They'd probably handle much better with front wheel drive

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

hayden. posted:

They'd probably handle much better with front wheel drive

I know we're getting away from bikes now, but the Aptera is a FWD three-wheeler and supposedly it handles rather well. At least the prototype does, who knows if it'll ever see production?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

niethan posted:

Why is it missing the front fender isn't that pretty lovely? like the spark plugs are gonna get soaked or something!?

Yeah, I had the same concern as well. Since this pic I've put both the front and rear fenders back on.

A Duck! posted:

Wow, nice looking Monster. How loud is that exhaust? I have a Quat-D Exbox on my S2R and it sets off car alarms all the time. So I can't imagine how loud that is, haha.

I haven't heard the Quat-D, but this exhaust falls in the range of loud, but not retardedly loud since there are some baffles in there. If I went WOT I could set off some car alarms. What happens more often is cruiser guys goose-necking to see what the gently caress is making that noise, and then being more confused as I go by.

PS: Nice username

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Dellikose posted:

I haven't heard the Quat-D, but this exhaust falls in the range of loud, but not retardedly loud since there are some baffles in there. If I went WOT I could set off some car alarms. What happens more often is cruiser guys goose-necking to see what the gently caress is making that noise, and then being more confused as I go by.

Yeah I left the baffles in mine, otherwise it would get me tickets. As it is, especially running pod filters, the bike is loud. I get cruiser guys looking at me all the time. It's hilarious when they are looking to see where the hell the noise is coming from, then they shake their head when they see the short pipes and hear the open clutch.

Not mine, but here's the Quat-D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTnZ4fzRB8k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oo4vG86xCM

I really love how the Quat-D/boom tubes/your exhaust clean up the back end of the bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

renraku posted:

Went from doing it with two to doing it with three.

Picked up a Can Am Spyder RSS. I absolutely love this thing. It's the fastest thing I've ever been on. It's an absolute pleasure to ride. You kinda lose the benefits of parking as compared to a bike and you ride it more like a four wheeler than a bike.

:canada: Thank you

I think if there's ever an ATV thread it should be here. Sure, it's four wheels, but the actual experience is far more in line with biking. I guess I focus more on the "you're exposed to the atmosphere and are actually riding the loving thing" aspect more than the "it leans in the turns" bit.

AI: You are inside it. CA: You are on it. DL: It is a horse, cow, mule or elephant. (Dressage Lunacy: We don't have that one yet.)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
83 Nighthawk 750. No ghetto blaster strapped to the back. Yet.

As a general rule, how much of a handicap should a Hawk give a Duck off the line? About this much?

Saturday. In the park. I think it was the 4th of July.

As the ole bumper sticker says, If ye don't like the way I drive...

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
That bike is gorgeous.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Proof you don't have to hack the poo poo out of a UJM for it to look good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReidRansom posted:

Workin on one of those myself. Wasn't nearly as nice as yours when I started, though. And I've only just started putting it back together.

dope status. you on ngw? http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/

edit: nvm i know who you are.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33410

Z3n posted:

I've always had a bit of a weakness for the stripped down 'wings. That is what that is, correct?

yes sir. 1976 GL1000

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

ReidRansom posted:

Workin on one of those myself. Wasn't nearly as nice as yours when I started, though. And I've only just started putting it back together.

I agree with Gnarly. This is loving rad. It's not getting enough love.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Picked up my newest toy yesterday:

2008 Harley-Davidson Night-Rod w/ 2800 miles. Person that had it before me added the black pipes and gave it a better tune. The thing is a monster on the road! Much better than the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 I upgraded from.

Bonus pic of my car, which compliments the bike nicely I think:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
You've clearly got a thing for American Muscle.

My dad has an '06 V-Rod and loves it, it's basically his dream bike attained. He no longer uses words like "my next bike" or "I want a ___." He just rides his V-Rod.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Thats a really pretty bike but those pegs look like torture. I cant imagine having my legs stretched out that far in front of me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sw0cb posted:

Thats a really pretty bike but those pegs look like torture. I cant imagine having my legs stretched out that far in front of me.

Its great to be cruising around and stretch out. My next bike will be a standard, but I love my little Honda Shadow.

I know people here hate on cruisers, but they are fun to just laze away the afternoon on riding around scenic roads and hanging out with other people. I use mine for commuting now that I am comfortable on it, and I think for commuting I would prefer a standard bike with giant suitcases on the side.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Blacked out is how a Harley should look. The V-Rod was the top of my muscle cruiser list for a long time, but that was before the Diavel. I like the car/bike combo, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I know people here hate on cruisers

What? :confused:

If anything, people hate on over-chromed CHOPPERCHOPPERCHOPPER trailer queens and the like. A daily-ridden bike is awesome no matter which bike it is.

Big Nose
Apr 4, 2004

The cultural revolution has found its end in Arkansas

n8r posted:

Proof you don't have to hack the poo poo out of a UJM for it to look good.

This can't be repeated enough times.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

dope status. you on ngw? http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/

edit: nvm i know who you are.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33410

Yup yup. Helpful bunch of cats over there.

Kaneda
Jan 2, 2003
Had this for a few years, 2007 Ninja 650R, it's an absolute blast to ride.

All geared up:

Cleaned up after 4 months of snow:

Kaneda
Jan 2, 2003
And my parents just got one of these, a Harley Trike. They wanted something with the feel of a motorcycle, but lots of storage space for extended trips. I took it for a spin, pretty cool, feels like a cross between an ATV and a motorcycle. I can see them enjoying really long trips on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

sw0cb posted:

I gotta say I thought the same before I test rode it, but it is actually quite comfortable. For reference I'm 6'2.